REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #51
R&R
I STILL don't get it

please keep us updated!
Advertisement
R&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #52
2 Wheelin' Mod

Last friday my brother talked to a police officer and he said he couldn't do anything about the theft since we cant prove that the stuff was ours and that he can not act on threats but he did call the contractor and set up a meeting for the next day.

My brother and dad (The police officer said i'm not allowed to come since it may escalate the situation) went to meet the contractor and the police officer at the property he brought back most of the doors that day. The police officer also told him that if he threatens are family again he will take him to the police station for finger prints just in case something does happen.

The police officer got them to sign a piece of paper stating how much we would pay the painter, the carpet company and the contractor after all the work is completed. It also stated that all the work should be completed on monday oct 22.

We also found out that the painter put a lien on the house for 4000+tax+fees but he is only owed $3000. The contractor paid for the lien which cost $150 and wanted the extra $1480

We paid the carpet company on saturday and asked what happens if you put a lien for more then ur owed. they told us that since he lied about the lien amount he may be charged with fraud but they aren't sure since they have never done it. they also told us there is no point in going to small claims court because the judge can do w.e he wants to

So tom my brother and dad are going to the house while they do the work and i'm going to the lien office to get the paperwork and to ask what happens if i can prove that he is owed less then the lien amount.
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #53
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Unfortunately, it takes very little effort or proof to place a builders lien on a house so he may be overcharging on the lien but it'll take you a while to correct that. But then as others have stated before, in order to enforce a builder's lien, they would have to go through supreme court of B.C. and hire a lawyer to do so, therefore it is very unlikely anything will come of the builder's lien. Also, a builder's lien can expire after a certain amount of time"I think one year" if the contractor does not act to enforce it (So they can't just keep renewing the lien on the house and that's it). Also, yes at small claims the judge can do w.e. he wants to but if you have been keeping track of all the paperwork and trail of evidence, it looks like you have overwhelming evidence on your side. The only thing is even if you win a judgement at small claims, it's not worth it for you to enforce the order if the contractor refuses to pay. I'm sure your lawyer told you what to do next but I'm not sure why after all this, you guys still agree to have him come back and finish the job. The logical approach is to let him know that he's canned, you're going to bring someone else in to finish the job and whatever extra you end up paying, you're going to back-charge him for it. Get an independent appraiser to do and appraisal of all the work done and how much it is worth, pay him that amount and tell him to get the fuck out
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #54
2 Wheelin' Mod

Our lawyer told us the cheapest way to get the work done is to just let him do it if hes willing to do it and after the police officer talked to him he is willing to do it

yes the lien only last a year and only affects you if you have a mortgage or are planning on selling the house we don't plan on doing either of these things so we should be fine.

He wont take us to court since he doesn't have the resources to do so at least we don't think he does especially over this small of an amount the lawyer fees would be more then what we owe him

also on the lien part if we can prove with an invoice that the amount is less do they decrease it not sure how it works going to ask tom

I'll post the painters info tom the person we are dealing with is the owner just not 100% on the company name he hasn't told us. I do know he lives in abbotsford

Edit: does anyone know where u can buy security cameras from?

Last edited by Jas29; 10-21-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #55
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
my friend had some IP motion LED/cameras from costco for $100-ish. not sure how good they are. but if you got to a place that specializes in cameras you can get some really nice ones I think in the $300 range. that's from overhearing a guy talking to a security contractor, so i don't know where to get those from.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #56
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

yes it would be cheaper for him to finish the job but at this point, even if he comes back, he's not going to do a very good job. (he probably didn't do a good job in the first place anyways). As far as cameras, I can let you know after I receive the invoice for mine. You can always go to security companies (citilock, action) and see if you can buy from thrm
Posted via RS Mobile
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #57
2 Wheelin' Mod

Thanks for the responses guys

todays update

The contractor is doing the work at the house poorly but hes still doing it we don't really care at this point as long as its done

The painter came wearing a dress shirt and tie demanding a cheque so he could go deposit it before starting the work so my brother told him we will give him a post dated cheque then and date it for toms date and to give me(my brother) the invoice and he said no but gave him the invoice my brother took a picture of it and sent it to me at this point he starts yelling at my brother saying he wants his money and the invoice back since its his property he took the invoice and continued yelling at him so my brother told him to get out of our house and if you comeback we will be calling the police and he left.

I went to the lien office in new west and got a copy of the lien at the bottom of the paper there is a note saying

"section 45 of the builders lien Act provides as follows:
45 (1) A person who knowingly files or causes an agent to file a claim of lien containing a false statement commits an offence.
(2) A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable to a fine not exceeding the greater of $2,000 and the amount by which the stated claim exceeds the actual claim"

the lien is for $4800.00

His invoice that i have a picture of is for
Total Cost of Paint and Labour: $3,000.00
HST: 360.00
Total amount due: $3,360.00

Edit: His company Name is Herbie's Painting and his name is Herbie Pahal

Last edited by Jas29; 10-22-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #58

bump any update? hope it worked out well for you.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #59
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

is this clown white or what?

go tell him to fuck off and he's not getting a cent

back charge him for delay of completion along with loss revenue from renting, legal fees due to his bull shit and the lien his subtrades put on the house....make all this equal what you "owe" him
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #60
2 Wheelin' Mod

no hes east indian

he kept on delaying the work so we told him to fuck off.

me, my brother and dad went and finished all the work we could do ourselves had to hire some subs to complete the rest of the work.

He called a couple of weeks after that telling my dad that I was calling him with a private number so we had to call the police officer and file another report for harassment haven't heard from him since

spent around 600-700 dollars getting the rest done + our time

as it stands the house is complete enough to rent still missing some small things it is rented though.

1 lien on the house for 4800.00
contractor said hes going to put a lien on the house for all the money we owed him which was like 89xx.xx(this is including what he owes the painter). Never checked to see if he did put a lien on the house

here's his info so no 1 else gets screwed over

Bittu Dhillion- JD bros renovations also runs under Arsh Plumbing and heating LTD

Herbie Pahal- Herbie's Painting
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #61
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts

Had to google and actually look to find this.

What made you choose this guy? I can't find any reviews or anything for that matter anywhere about this guy/company.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #62
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
What made you choose this guy? I can't find any reviews or anything for that matter anywhere about this guy/company.
Of course not - he was probably under a completely different name up until the last lawsuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #63
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas29 View Post
no hes east indian
and that's what i expected
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #64
2 Wheelin' Mod

Grandparents hired him didn't ask anyone else... He was working at another house in our neighborhood and was willing to start right away
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #65
Ubereem Mod

After reading this thread...I"m just going to hire Quasi for any job I need.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
After reading this thread...I"m just going to hire Quasi for any job I need.
after reading this thread i want to register for this class i saw on building lien law.

glad OP got the house in order to some extent. hopefully you can get the liens removed.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

This post thanked by: