REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Getting a ticket while legally parked

I haven't seen this one posted, so here it goes:

Was parked legally on the street side while waiting for a friend at the pacific central station on main st., and all of a sudden a traffic police pulled over handed out a ticket for tinted windows. My driver's side tint is illegal because I've got a skin condition, but aside from that, my question is: Could a police officer hand out a ticket while I am not operating motor vehicle? Engine wasn't turned on and I was just sitting there waiting.

TIA
Advertisement
Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Yes

/thread
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Yes...he served on the person who had care and control. You. BTW, the skin condition dodge will not work. NO exemptions given by SMV any more.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

What's the difference? You clearly know that your tint is illegal.

Would it have made you felt better if the officer waited until you turned on the engine first?
dsot is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Ive got a skin condition. LOL so what happens when you leave the car? Do you run into your home or job?

Maybe wear something with sleeves and a c-lai face shield. You have a serious condition right? Its not like another douche who just wants front tints?
Posted via RS Mobile
Hot Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Illegal tinting is a strict liability offence... There is no justification allowed.
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Just curious - what %VLT is your tint? And have you considered moving to one of the many provinces and states where tint isn't considered unsafe?

List here:
http://www.iwfa.com/NewsEvents/Legis...LawCharts.aspx

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

If your tint was considered high profile because of how dark it is, they'll just give you a ticket for the front.

I have F1 pinnacle 35 front, 40 rears, and Llumar Airblue 80 front windshield, and never had issues with police.

Last edited by Sango; 09-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Kinda sucks that you'll have to get your tint removed now and won't be able to drive because of your skin condition...

Do you tint your face when you go out in the sun too?....
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

For those who do have various reactions to sun exposure, small doses of sunlight don't do too much harm. But if you're spending hours in the car then the additional protection is important.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
If your tint was considered high profile because of how dark it is, they'll just give you a ticket for the front.

I have F1 pinnacle 35 front, 40 rears, and Llumar Airblue 80 front windshield, and never had issues with police.
Your fronts are darker than your rears??
Posted via RS Mobile
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
If your tint was considered high profile
What on earth is high profile tint?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
For those who do have various reactions to sun exposure, small doses of sunlight don't do too much harm. But if you're spending hours in the car then the additional protection is important.
That's why god invented long-sleeved shirts... LONG before he invented tinted front windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
I subscribe to Revscene

Right, because those are comfortable when it's 45 degrees in the car.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #15

So turn on the A/C, or open the windows. If it's 45 degrees in the car, you're gonna be cooking whether you have long sleeves or not.

Seriously, you come up with some of the most idiotic, ignorant, lame-brained statements when you're trying to defend your disdain of authority. Why don't you just come right out and say, "I hate authority in all its forms" and be done with it, instead of continually trying to find excuses to point out flaws in each and every law, and then inventing some of the most retarded "examples" imaginable to "illustrate" your blathering?
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
I subscribe to Revscene

Laws NEED to be picked apart an examined to not only ensure fairness but to make sure that the government isn't sticking their noses too far beyond where they belong. If you love big government, over regulation and constantant monitoring of the population then perhaps you'd feel more at home in the US or England.

That reminds me - the Americans threw up a big fuss about fuel consumption stemming from DRLs. If folks were allowed to keep their cars a bit cooler through the use of window films, imagine the reduction in fuel consumption from running air conditioners a little bit less.

I'd bet you a roll of window tint that if you stuck our Transportation Minister in a car with 80% tint on the front side windows she (or any of the Ministers before her) would hardly notice that it was there. One person's disdain for drug-dealer blackout window tint many many years ago and now we all have to pay the price...

This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #17

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So turn on the A/C, or open the windows. If it's 45 degrees in the car, you're gonna be cooking whether you have long sleeves or not.

Seriously, you come up with some of the most idiotic, ignorant, lame-brained statements when you're trying to defend your disdain of authority. Why don't you just come right out and say, "I hate authority in all its forms" and be done with it, instead of continually trying to find excuses to point out flaws in each and every law, and then inventing some of the most retarded "examples" imaginable to "illustrate" your blathering?
Just an observation, and I know you'll take this the wrong way of course...but you're kind of the same just on the opposite spectrum...

Any thought of policy criticism or negative law enforcement critique and you usually go up in arms about it. And by usually, I mean always. He is just as guilty of seeing things through a one sided lens as you are unfortunately.

I'll just leave it at that but your bias is blatantly obvious either by trade or because you want everyone to know which side of the spectrum you strongly have ties to.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #18

Thanked 3,848 Times in 886 Posts
Quote:
good question. what on earth is considered a "safe" % of tint that still provides optimal visibility?
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #19

Thanked 3,848 Times in 886 Posts
the laws and regulations in place are not arbitrarily set out. we live in a country where you can vote and elect people to represent you in the government. your needs and expectations are not the only ones to be considered and met. for every person whose view is not represented, there are others whose views are represented. this is how our government works. there is no conspiracy.

the government exists to serve the people, people who need rules and regulations to live by. if the rules or regulations dont suit you, take it up with your representative so they can be your voice in the government. you dont have to agree with what's in place, but you should recognize how policies, laws, and regulations come into place and respect them.

if your desire for 70% front tint is allowed under new regulations, the person who wants 35% would still have to adhere the 70% allowed. there will always be people who get left out or will be unhappy. if you are the one unhappy, you can voice your dissatisfaction to your representative, but you are still expected to follow the same rules.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
Your fronts are darker than your rears??
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes, this is correct. It was originally 40 (spec at 43%) on the front windows but they were replaced with 35 (spec at 38%) (the installer recommended me to go a tad darker a bit) under warranty due to a debris being trapped inside the tint during the initial installation.

After the install, it looked quite nice. In a way it does look more uniform because since more light comes in from the front. On the the side view, the front and back windows look almost virtually the same at a glance. It's barely noticeable on the outside of the darkness differences, but inside it is a bit more noticeable.

Ideally, I would of wanted to go 35 in the rear as well because I like the slightly darker look in comparison to 40 but the installer mentioned was not worth paying to have them change it for a 5% difference.

As for the front window tint with Air Blue 80 (spec at 78%). It essentially would provide you with reducing the glare without affecting the overall light since the difference of about 20% is virtually indistinguishable to the eye without a side by side comparison of the window not tinted. When people look at the car, they don't know that there is a front window tint on there unless I tell them.

Quote:
What I meant is that, the tint is so dark, such that, it attracts attention; essentially meaning the owner of the vehicle is asking to be targeted.

Last edited by Sango; 09-15-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #21
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
good question. what on earth is considered a "safe" % of tint that still provides optimal visibility?
Oh I don't know.. let's see.. can you see into it? Yes? Ok, legal!

Clearly the owner of this CRV is a heavily armed drug dealer with his tinted front side windows: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/blarg/tint/82212ad8.jpg

(taken from: Air Blue 80...The best tint you can't see. - TrueStreetCars.com)

Take a look at the difference between that and the Navigator behind it and draw your own conclusion as to what should be considered safe and legal.

Last edited by sebberry; 09-15-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #22

^
Other AirBlue 80 pics

LLumar Air Blue 80 Clear UV and Heat Reduction Film
Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #23
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I'll be honest. I personally think that tints that are too dark (tints like 5% are the ones that come to mind offhand, but I'm no skyentist) are completely and totally unsafe. I've driven in cars with tint at night, and have felt very very unsafe. I don't like not being able to see everything around me. Street light suck, I'm paranoid and worried that one day there's gonna be someone whose DRLs have been deactivated or aren't working and I won't see them in my blind spot when I make a lane change.

My cars have never had tinted windows. And my car at the moment is a dark blue with black leather seats. Sure, it gets warm, but that's why God invented A/C.

Now, all of that having been said, I'm against modifying the tint laws in order to allow front tint. "But why?" you might ask, as Sebbery has, bringing up all the all-things-considered-reasonable points that he has.

1) "The Line"
How do we decide what is safe at the front and isn't? Let's assume that we allow 70%, and say that's safe for the fronts (including the windshield). So what do we do in terms of measurement and enforcement?

First, we're going to have to give all officers updated regs (and since most officers get pissy at tint at roadchecks, we'll have to make sure they get training). Who's going to pay for this? The newspapers will be up in arms "RCMP officerspaid to look at windows!"

Second, we'll have to do one of two things:
1) Officer-issued metering devices.
2) Metering devices at inspection facilities.
If an officer thinks that someone's tint is too dark, the person will have to get it checked. Now, we're all familiar with how incredibly annoying a VI is. Nobody wants to have to go to an inspection facility and pay a giant chunk of money to get their car inspected and tell them it's OK. So logically, we should hand out light metering devices. If an officer suspects a car's tint is too dark, all they have to do is shine their light through and see how much passes through the tint.

But again, that's going to cost. "RCMP on the hook for fancy flashlights". That's not going to be very good optics.

Neither would it make many road-going individuals happy that they have to get their car inspected within a few days to make sure they don't need a ticket. Inconvenience, annoyance, and more than anything else, time out of an officer's day to deal with more paperwork. Because we can all agree officers' time would be better spent investigating serious crimes rather than following up on a tinting inspection.

Finally: Who decides what's safe?

While you may feel that an 80% is safe for use, others may feel that 50% is safe, or like it is now that 5% is safe for the rears. Who's to decide? You say that we should look at those two and "decide which is safer". Well, yes. When people are given two solid and distinct choices, it's entirely probable that people will be able to choose what they like best. Show someone two shades of green and they'll tell you exactly which one they like.

But it's not yes/no, black/white. It's shading. A full fucking spectrum. In my younger days, I spent hours agonizing over which shades of which colours to use as my font and background colours on my livejournal (yes, I was one of those emo losers, shut up). I knew what colours I wanted, but I just couldn't find exactly the right ones. #0000FFF or a bit lighter? Darker? WHAT?!

That means we'd have to invest money into science. Yes, science. The thing that you continually bring up in your speed-doesn't-really-kill-stupid-people-kill rantings (which, while I don't necessarily disagree with the content, I do disagree with the audience and the tone). Which means we'd have to hire people to find out real road conditions. And what would really be safe.

Now while we think that's easy, let's try and remember that BC includes everything from Downtown Vancouver (which is ridiculously well let at nearly any hour of the day) all the way out to the Trans-Canada that leads to Golden and Rogers Pass. I very very much doubt that the same tint which allows you to see everything around you with perfect clarity at noon in Downtown Vancouver would do the same out in the BC/Alberta-border boonies.

And as a result, for those of us who live in Ye Auld Big City, we might think the rules and regulations suck ass. But only maybe because we're not seeing the big picture that the scientists and lawmakers who did the analysis did.

Also, I'll be honest. I'd rather see more money going to permanently house the mentally ill and help rehabilitate drug users and hire more nurses and surgeons and build more hospitals rather than going through the hackery of fixing an annoying yet ultimately unimportant tint law.

[/rant]
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
But again, that's going to cost. "RCMP on the hook for fancy flashlights". That's not going to be very good optics.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4030692/mem...id%20there.jpg

Quote:
Finally: Who decides what's safe?
Silly - they just have to ask Sebberry, he's already got it all figured out. He knows exactly what tint level is safe, what speed limit is safe for every road in the province, what BAC% is safe for everyone... he's been everywhere and done everything, he knows it all!
Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Any thought of policy criticism or negative law enforcement critique and you usually go up in arms about it. And by usually, I mean always.
Oh trust me, I have plenty of opinions on laws that are silly or meaningless... it's not a pro-authority stance, it's an anti-idiotic-ranting thing for me. Certain people are good at coming up with the most ridiculous shit, and THAT is what sets me off. Those people who are just me-me-me, I want, my way, nobody else matters.

Quote:
I'll just leave it at that but your bias is blatantly obvious either by trade or because you want everyone to know which side of the spectrum you strongly have ties to.
I have no ties whatsoever to law enforcement or any level of politics. My only ties are to reality and a need to exist in a world that's increasingly being populated by selfish assholes whose only concern is their own desires. The assholes who think, for example, it's perfectly alright to blind everyone else on the road with their illegal HIDs. Or to use someone else's example in another "tint" thread, the ones who think their need to look "cool" behind dark windows trumps the rest of the pedestrian public's need to see and be seen. Or to go blasting through a construction zone at double the speed limit because hey, their car can handle it! (even if they can't).

My ties are to an ability to see "the big picture" and how there's much more involved that just one selfish person's short-sighted desires... much as Graeme S has spelled out here.

But hey, you believe whatever you want.
Quote:
This post thanked by: