REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
The things I learn on RS amazes me every day!
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
The concept of a tight knit group of fellows made me want to join a fraternity. but my education took me elsewhere (probably would have never been smart enough to go to UBC anyway )I wish we had a Greek system at BCIT, would probably make my experience at school so much more exciting
Posted via RS Mobile
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I joined a fraternity when I was at UBC. And it was the best experience of my university life. And it continues to be the best decision I made in university.

Yes there are dues. Ours were only $600 a year. People who don't know what fraternities are about will say that you're buying friends, can't make friends in your own, etc. But in reality if you don't pay dues, the fraternity has no money to work with. What does the money go towards? Some of it goes back to "international," since your chapter belongs to a bigger global fraternity. Some goes to having cash flow for parties, some goes to repairs on our house. Some goes to paying for Rec teams. Etc. We have meetings every Wednesday to go over things like this. We decide on what we would like to use the money towards and stuff like that. Obviously we drank a lot too.

Why would anyone want to join one? Networking is always brought up. I joined my fraternity because there was a lot of alumni support. And many of them were very successful people. Over the years many of us have had job opportunities that came from other fraternity members. I also saw it as a way to play on a lot of rec teams. All of our sports were paid for. And we always had enough guys to make a team. And we often combined with the sororities for co-Ed teams. It's hard to find 10 other friends who want to play a sport.

The friendships that are made are incredible. I lived in our fraternity house for 3 years. The stories and the experience is unlike anything. Because my fraternity had many chapters in the states, we would go on road trips during reading break and check them all out. We would be welcomed with open arms in every chapter because we shared a bond even though we had never met. After university,all my roommates were brothers. When I got married my groomsmen were fraternity brothers.

So yeah. Fraternities cost money, yes we drink a lot and party a lot. But it's not just that. Check one out.
Posted via RS Mobile
lungfish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #29
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
sororities are good for panty raids
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
sororities are good for panty raids
Mmmmm panty raids sounds so adventurous and exciting
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #31
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
dam

sounds like i totally missed out
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 AM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Sororities Can suck my Nuts & I'll keep my 600 dollars a Year.

*LOLZ LETS JOIN sororities FOR OFF THE HOOK SICK ASS PARTYS,YO!!!"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lospollos View Post
Kill youself. Please.
Posted via RS Mobile
yes thank you,thanked.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 09-22-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #33
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post
The concept of a tight knit group of fellows made me want to join a fraternity. but my education took me elsewhere (probably would have never been smart enough to go to UBC anyway )I wish we had a Greek system at BCIT, would probably make my experience at school so much more exciting
Posted via RS Mobile
Lol...yeah, BCIT is lame. Not judging...I went there. To do it over again, I don't know that I would.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I went to SFU and we didn't have frats or sororities. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, but I did belong to club that was relevant to my degree. I also majored in a program that had far fewer people than, say, the history department or english. My major also had its own 'common room' where we would all hang out.

I think it also made a difference b/c SFU has a much smaller campus that UBC so you would often pass and run into people you knew. I definitely felt a 'community' at SFU as a whole as opposed to different communities within the university.

That begin said, I can see how joining a frat or sorority would add to your university experience, especially if it is a large place or you belong to a large dept. or faculty. Also, meeting new people is what Uni is all about...instead of taking months to make a few new friends, these organizations allow people to become close a lot faster with a more people.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #35
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
One thing I really wish I got to do in life was do the US university thing to experience it. So much of american young adult pop culture is based off of it. Doesn't help that some of the other forums Im on are filled with 18-21 year old kids at US schools.

That being said, at the same time Im glad I didn't (see highschool drop out thread).
Old 09-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #36
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Got into UBC with a bunch of people that I already knew, PVT or PUB school. No one I knew joined frats. The people that did, were people from my grad year that didn't have that many friends. I'm not putting down frats, if you need to meet new people/network. Frats are for you, but to be honest, UNI is a wholesome experience and if you're open enough, you'll meet enough people and get invited to parties despite not being part of a frat. Plus, I was working to pay for my university so I couldn't really afford to join $XXX amount just to network. Books alone are costly.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Seriously, at the end of the day, it IS about paying $$$ to network with people. I don't care the expensive facilities they have or the great programs there are to make you feel special, but those people who joined frats/soros wouldn't know how their university life would've been without having been part of it.

Just make the decision that you think is good for you. There are plenty of people I know (including myself), thoroughly enjoyed university, and to say that one is missing out for not joining frats/soros is plain stupid.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #38

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Seriously, at the end of the day, it IS about paying $$$ to network with people. I don't care the expensive facilities they have or the great programs there are to make you feel special, but those people who joined frats/soros wouldn't know how their university life would've been without having been part of it.

Just make the decision that you think is good for you. There are plenty of people I know (including myself), thoroughly enjoyed university, and to say that one is missing out for not joining frats/soros is plain stupid.
I don't think you understand where we are coming from.

People who join the Greek system could give two shits if you joined or not. We are not looking down at anyone who didn't join the greek system. We don't think we are better than anyone? We are simply saying that you are missing out on certain experiences. And I don't think anyone here claimed not joining the greek system automatically made your undergrad experience less exciting, awesome, or fun. So i'm not sure what you're saying here...

In the same way as if your friend asked you to go to Las Vegas with them. If you don't go, cool. But, you're missing out on that experience.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #39
PRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post

People who join the Greek system could give two shits if you joined or not. We are not looking down at anyone who didn't join the greek system. We don't think we are better than anyone? We are simply saying that you are missing out on certain experiences. And I don't think anyone here claimed not joining the greek system automatically made your undergrad experience less exciting, awesome, or fun. So i'm not sure what you're saying here...

In the same way as if your friend asked you to go to Las Vegas with them. If you don't go, cool. But, you're missing out on that experience.
Really? I don't know about your frat but some frats and sororities deff do look down on people that aren't part of the Greek system, calling them by their derogatory term "GDI" (stands for God Damn Independent)
I have encountered MANY frat guys who looked down on me because I'm not in a sorority
But then again all my friends look down on (cocky ones only) frat guys & sorority girls anyways.

There was this one night I was at pit pub with my best girl friend and on of the Dekes asked me if she was a GDI
Wasn't the most pleasant thing to be called by.
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #40
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
frats, sororities. Who gives a fuck.. honestly. There are way better experiences than joining a frat.
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #41
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
Really? I don't know about your frat but some frats and sororities deff do look down on people that aren't part of the Greek system, calling them by their derogatory term "GDI" (stands for God Damn Independent)
I have encountered MANY frat guys who looked down on me because I'm not in a sorority
But then again all my friends look down on (cocky ones only) frat guys & sorority girls anyways.

There was this one night I was at pit pub with my best girl friend and on of the Dekes asked me if she was a GDI
Posted via RS Mobile
But that's really true of any type of organization. Pretty much any religious affiliation has the mentality of those being outside the organization being just that, outsiders. In fact, most of the religious dogma is built upon it. The other one I can think of is unions. Unions have a similar vocabulary(brothers and sisters) and most union people think that non-union organizations could benefit/need their type of representation.

So really, sororities and fraternities are just another angle of the of the same tightly knit club community. Those that are inside are one of us, and those that are not are lacking for it. Someone earlier used the term cult, and if you take the negative, Jim Jones 'drink the kool-aid' connotations out of it, it is very much the same. It doesn't need to be negative, but I think happens anytime you have a like-minded membership devoted to an organizations. Hell, Free Masons are like a frat club for adults without the hot parties.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #42
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
The experience of a fraternity or sorority sounds very akin to living in residence, except divided based on gender.

I enjoyed living in res, it was a very unique and rewarding experience to live with a large group of friends. It did facilitate meeting new people, but largely I joined because it was academically a bit adventitious in first year since there were always other people around taking the same courses to ask questions or study with. The parties were cool too, definitely unlike any house party I've ever been to.

I would have gone nuts living with all guys, so co-ed was a big factor in my not even considering a frat.

Last edited by MindBomber; 09-22-2012 at 03:00 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #43
Banned By Establishment

I never did dorm life. It had NO appeal whatsoever for me. I got an apartment when I went to university, just so I could have my own space.

Never regretted it.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #44

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
whos needs a frat when you have RS

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #45
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
honestly..unless you one of those smart kids in uni that doesn't study much and still ace everything or you come from a financially well-off background...it's difficult to devote time to an experience that will demand as much commitment as the greek system.

That brings me to another point..hats off to anyone that can get through university and get good grades while being in a varsity team.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #46
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
honestly..unless you one of those smart kids in uni that doesn't study much and still ace everything or you come from a financially well-off background...it's difficult to devote time to an experience that will demand as much commitment as the greek system.
I definitely noticed this with my roommate last year; he was pledged and decided to do it. As soon as he did, his grades plummeted, his friends stopped hearing from him, and his overall happiness seemed so low at home as he was always having to make up for stuff because he spent too much time with/doing things for the frat.

Personally, I think it's a pointless thing to be a part of unless you believe you really need future friends or networking. You can achieve both through working hard in school and being social with those in class/labs.

Maybe my opinion is biased by observing how my roommate went through it last year and who he hung out with. But honestly, it seemed like the "frat brothers" he'd bring to our place to hang out seemed like the biggest group of lowlifes who thought they were now better than everyone who wasn't in the frat... Meanwhile, I'm the one going out with friends while they sat in our basement and played n64.
Posted via RS Mobile
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #47

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

Posted via RS Mobile
Being called a GDI isn't like being called a ch*nk or n*gger. It's just a nickname someone coined for people not in the greek system. It isn't derogatory at all.
I mean if you take a moment and look at what GDI stands for, it's actually a compliment in a way. It states that you are independent. That you can stand alone. It's almost mocking everyone in the greek system itself because we aren't independent...

You put it best yourself. Even your friends look down on people in the greek system. But, do these few represent the majority? Do you feel the same way? No, you probably don't give a crap if I was in a fraternity or not. Just like most people shouldn't give a crap. There are obviously going to be idiots in the greek system. But, there are idiots everywhere.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #48
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

People who join the Greek system could give two shits if you joined or not. We are not looking down at anyone who didn't join the greek system. We don't think we are better than anyone?
You tell that to these guys with a straight face.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #49
PRINCESS

Quote:
Being called a GDI isn't like being called a ch*nk or n*gger. It's just a nickname someone coined for people not in the greek system. It isn't derogatory at all.
I mean if you take a moment and look at what GDI stands for, it's actually a compliment in a way. It states that you are independent. That you can stand alone. It's almost mocking everyone in the greek system itself because we aren't independent...

You put it best yourself. Even your friends look down on people in the greek system. But, do these few represent the majority? Do you feel the same way? No, you probably don't give a crap if I was in a fraternity or not. Just like most people shouldn't give a crap. There are obviously going to be idiots in the greek system. But, there are idiots everywhere.
Oh am gee my bad. I was specifically told it was a quote on quote "derogatory term" by frat boys. I guess it must be used in different contexts depending on the frat then.
At the end of the day, calling someone "GOD DAMN _______" sounds negative.
And yeah those idiots don't represent you "all". I agree. And I have posted before that I have met SOME decent guys from frats.
But from my own experience (and all my girl friends who now passed the frat party stage) those high school outsiders did represent "most" of you guys in OUR eyes.
Don't get me wrong, one of my best friends is still in a frat. And I know there are some other successful guys too. Hence the term "most" not "all"
Realistically speaking, frats do attract people that needs new networking social whatever stuff. And a lot of them happen to be high school outcasts who wants to start fresh, or get the sense of belonging. Again, not all. But "most";from what I saw and experienced in my first two and a half years at UBC (then I stopped chilling with frats)

I don't know about your fraternity, but look at some of the other frats/sororities *cough cough you know which loser ones I'm talking bout*
it's pretty evident they're straight up high school losers.
Nothing wrong with being these "high school losers". I don't judge people by looks or by their past. I didn't have a great past either and I ain't a 10/10. But what's problematic is that some of them gets sooooooo cocky. Hence why I dislike some frats & sororities
I remember one random girl saying *you joined a sorority, it wasn't a visit to plastic surgeon. Stop thinking you're so hot because the loser ones from frats talk to you * (along that line)

Some frats are deff better than others. And I do put in good words/recommendations to those who wishes to join, help out with rush, etc
But (again) from my own experience a lot (but not all) of them were cocky guys that thought they're the shit because they joined a frat
There's a reason why 99% of my non-sorority girl friends (close friends and acqtns) stopped chilling with frats. And it's because we feel the same way towards a lot of the members.
Oh...And I'm never gonna forget that day I got roofied at a pledge party and that other night some dipshit tried to force me into his fucking room and pulled my hair.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was bashing fraternities. But I just wanted to share my own experience.
I am not a fraternity hater. But I don't particularly like them either.

And back to the question would I give a crap if you're in a frat? I won't lie yeah I most likely will care a liiiiittttttllllleeee bit at first....Not as bad as some girls who will probs run for their lives. But like you said my opinion cannot represent rest of the society.
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #50
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Wow. The above seem very high school and immature to me.

This just reinforces that, for me, going to SFU instead of UBC (I was accepted to both) was the best decision to avoid these attitudes.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote