REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Sororities (and fraternities) - whats the point of them? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674174-sororities-fraternities-whats-point-them.html)

tiger_handheld 09-21-2012 10:48 AM

Sororities (and fraternities) - whats the point of them?

What is the point in joining one of these? I know UBC has one for guys and girls.

edumacate me.

radioman 09-21-2012 10:52 AM

I suggest watching some of the straight to DVD american pie movies to edumacate yourself.

604STIG 09-21-2012 10:54 AM

FYI:
Sororities for girls
Fraternities for guys

7seven 09-21-2012 10:56 AM

Networking but in reality majority join frats/sororities for drunken parties/events and sex.

604778 09-21-2012 11:04 AM

I've worked with friends that have been and are still in a sororitie/fraternitie. Yes, most do get drunk, but most of them said to me that being in one made them the person they are today.

Phil@rise 09-21-2012 11:07 AM

brother and sisterhood beyond the bond of blood. thats the point

zx7rrrr 09-21-2012 11:26 AM

new school, new friends

HondaGuy 09-21-2012 11:30 AM

Parties/gatherings, meeting new ppl and when school is over and into the working world = networking.
Posted via RS Mobile

tiger_handheld 09-21-2012 11:33 AM

Thanks guys. never really understood why they had them. I've watched a fair share of college movies and all i saw was beer fest.

lospollos 09-21-2012 11:46 AM

Kill youself. Please.
Posted via RS Mobile

Verdasco 09-21-2012 01:12 PM

i will be honest, it is COMPLETELY different compared to the states. Yes we have it for networking but we have clubs and shit, theirs is like "you have to pay or do this to get in"

Redlines_Daily 09-21-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lospollos (Post 8035723)
Kill youself. Please.
Posted via RS Mobile

same to you, asshole.

tiger_handheld 09-21-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8035771)
i will be honest, it is COMPLETELY different compared to the states. Yes we have it for networking but we have clubs and shit, theirs is like "you have to pay or do this to get in"

interesting. do we have "hazing" here?

I went to Kwantlen, and as far as i know there was no frat/sorority there. We had typical clubs (accounting, marketing, psych, etc..) but they were kinda meh as well.

sorry for noob questions. all this came up on a facebook news feed when someone posted pictures from "sorority recruitment at ubc"

classified 09-21-2012 02:32 PM

i work with alot of frat people, and the main reason they join is to "buy" friends, they pay huge fees at the start to join. And I knew of some of them in high school and they were kinda the outsiders.

they do do hazing here i found out this week, just not to the extent of the US

belaud 09-21-2012 04:18 PM

I know a lot of my old high school friends/acquintances did crazy shit to try to get into the Sororororities in UBC. Never really understood why you'd pay to join, but thats just me, I understand the "networking" part, but paying big ass money to join one is just silly.

Soundy 09-21-2012 05:07 PM

MeowMeow 09-21-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belaud (Post 8035897)
I know a lot of my old high school friends/acquintances did crazy shit to try to get into the Sororororities in UBC. Never really understood why you'd pay to join, but thats just me, I understand the "networking" part, but paying big ass money to join one is just silly.

Remind Me to tell you a story about this McMath guy in your grad who tried to join psi-u last year LOL

Frats/sorority is a great way of networking. Won't lie.
If you're a club promoter/want to run for AMS/expand your business it is pretty handy
But like others stated, I do find that a lot of people in frats are high school loser outsiders.
However there are few decent guys as well.

Hazing stories are fucking epic. Whether they are true or not I don't know. Members of one frat would tell me stories of others or ex-members would tell me what they had to do.
Some are pretty cheesy like being blind folded and leaving them middle of no where in underwear
Or ditching you in like north van or some shit with no phone no money etc
Heard about one frat doing this fuck-a-goat thing. Apparently if you really fuck the goat you don't get in lol
Posted via RS Mobile

TheKingdom2000 09-21-2012 06:03 PM

I was part of a fraternity at UBC.
This is going to be kind of long, but here is the gist of it.

There are eight sororities at UBC and nine fraternities.

Step1 - Rush

This is where new members check out every fraternity and see which ones they like. It's honestly like an interview process. Sam as if you were applying for a job, seriously.

This is a whole week long event. There is an event everyday, a lot of meet and greets where you get to know the frat/the members. Games night, sports night, meet the sorority girls, etc. And it ends with a huge party called Wet Rush. This is where all the frat houses throw huge parties and all the members from the frats/sororities and new potential members are invited. It is probably one of the craziest parties i've ever gone to in my life. Some of the houses even had strippers. It was definitely an experience i'll never forget.

Step 2 - Formal invites
This is where the fraternities decide on who they would like to have in their frat. During the rush week they get to know you and based on if they like you or think you're a good fit for their frat they will give you a formal invite to a formal night.

You are only allowed to accept two formal invitations. (Not everyone will get a formal invitation, some get one, some get none). After you accept your formal invites, you go to one last meet and greet at one of the member's houses.
So from 5pm-7pm you go to one of the fraternity houses. From 7pm-9pm you go to the other.

This is a formal event so you have to dress up, shirt and tie. This is where the frats try to wine and die you to get you to join their frat. It's pretty much the last chance to sway your decision. They pull out all the stops for you, they pick you up in nice cars, you go to one of the member's houses which is super nice, it's on the west side. Huge houses. They have a huge feast waiting for you, usually they roast up a pig or lamb.

Step 3 - bids day
This is the day after the formal night where you pick which frat you want to pledge. This is like the NHL draft except you get to decide which team you want to join. Let me put this into perspective for you. Outside the student union building, everyone from the greek system is there. Girls and guys. They are literally waiting to see who the new pledges are, to see which frat gets which guys, who gets the most pledges, and to congratulate you.

So you walk into the room and all the fraternity presidents are there. If you went to two formal's the night before you have to formally reject one frat and accept the other. Once you accept the bid, one of the fraternity members takes you down and announces you to everyone outside. Once they announce you the fraternity that you picked literally goes nuts. It's pretty cool actually.

Step 4 - Pledging
This process is different for every fraternity, but generally follow the same principles. You are pretty much the bottom of the barrel at the fraternity. You have to through the parties, set up shit, clean up the house, all the grunt work pretty much.

Every wednesday night there are meetings for the entire Greek system. Guys and girls. For our fraternity, pledges are not allowed into the members meetings until the end. Pledges have their own meetings. We discuss upcoming events, parties we have to plan, other random things, we have song practice, and we have an exam.

We are expected to know all the fraternity songs verbatim. We are also expected to know the fraternity history, founding fathers, codes of conduct, etc. You do not want to fail an exam. Failing = disciplinary action and multiple failures could lead to being kicked out.

The pledges have a disciplinarian. So if you fcuk up, fail a test, don't do what you're supposed to do you have to answer to him. The only time we see the disciplinarian is when we go to the member meeting. This is the only time we are allowed into the members meeting.

The member meetings are fcuking crazy. I'm not allowed to say what goes on, but it's probably the coolest thing i've ever done. It's definitely not what you would expect. There are a lot of rituals, conduct, and order. It's definitely an intimidating place to be, but it's so awesome at the same time.

Step 5 - Membership
If you fulfill all the requirements you get initiated. Initiation is crazy as well. The things you have to do and experience is beyond anything you might think. It's definitely something I'm glad I went through with. Again, with most of the frats there are a lot of rituals. Kind of like a cult, i'm not gonna lie. But, it's some pretty dope ass shit.

Hazing
There is a ton of hazing. Nothing too crazy though, but crazy enough to be like wtf. Compared to our American chapters, we have it easy.

Joining a fraternity is definitely something I recommend. It was probably one of the best experiences of undergrad. It's more than just partying and meeting girls. The bond you make with the guys and experiences are priceless.

I probably missed a bunch of stuff, but this post is way too effing long.

TLDR; Joining a fraternity/sorority is an experience you will never forget.

TheKingdom2000 09-21-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classified (Post 8035820)
i work with alot of frat people, and the main reason they join is to "buy" friends, they pay huge fees at the start to join. And I knew of some of them in high school and they were kinda the outsiders.

they do do hazing here i found out this week, just not to the extent of the US

You work with a lot of frat people? And they have told you the only reason they joined is because they wanted to "buy" friends? I seriously doubt that.

People join the Greek system for various reasons, they want to have a different experience at school, they just want to party, they want to meet girls, their siblings were in the greek system, sports, brotherhood, plus a hundred of other reasons.
You are right, some people may have been outsiders in highschool. But, what does that really mean?

A lot of people talk shit about shit they know nothing about, but that's always the case.

Gridlock 09-21-2012 06:36 PM

how much does it cost to join?

TheKingdom2000 09-21-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8035979)
how much does it cost to join?

It depends on the fraternity/sorority.
It ranges from $700-1200 I think. I don't really remember the exact pricing.

Mine was about $800, but we got free parking.

will068 09-21-2012 06:45 PM

I went to SFU so we never had greeks like UBC.

Someone said in this thread that they notice a lot of the members were outsiders back in HS? How about the Sororities? Does it have the same dynamics?

I have a friend who was in a sorority in UBC. Her Sorority had dimes. It's like, the criteria for a membership is you have to be an 8/10 at least. They let in the homely chick once in a while as a charitable act or something.

By the way, one of the reasons why you want to be in a fraternity, gives you a better chance of becoming a US president:

Skull and Bones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gridlock 09-21-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8035985)
I have a friend who was in a sorority in UBC. Her Sorority had dimes. It's like, the criteria for a membership is you have to be an 8/10 at least. They let in the homely chick once in a while as a charitable act or something.

Yeah, and then people wonder how girls get a complex. How'd you like to be the homely girl that was charity.

The bitches be cray man. Let 50 of them run a house, and you'll get homely chicks barfing up dinner before the coffee is even served.

MeowMeow 09-21-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8035985)

I certainly hope that 8/10 ain't talking about physical criteria
Cuz a lot of them are pretty ugly. And it'd be pretty shallow of them to do that.
Posted via RS Mobile

El Bastardo 09-21-2012 07:07 PM

Bitches be crazy