REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

A question to all the Officers in the Room

i would like to know, when they are out on patrol and they stop on the side of the road to perform radar, do they just choose the location and go? or do they get a higher up to assign them to that duty and location?

thanks in advanced
Advertisement
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
I suppose if the answer is the latter, your next question will then ask where are all these pre-determined locations?

Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
fishing hole - Search results - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Sometimes the locations are selected due to public request...like school/playground zones, other times due to lots of speeding going on there, high crash areas due to speed, multiple person operations...or just because......Unlike our salmon stocks, there are always lots of fish out there to hook,....just depends on the size you are looking for.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

I was listening on the scanner to members of our local traffic constabulary discussing where to set up their trap. One officer suggested an area where right turns are prohibited (https://maps.google.ca/?ll=48.454922...19.82,,0,-1.11) for no reason that I can think of.

Amazingly, the other officer replied "I don't like that, it's too much of a fishing hole".

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #6

Here's a thought: if it's a "fishing hole", that's probably because people make illegal right turns there A LOT, and the cops know it would be easy to reel them in.

As for a reason: how about residents in the area calling in complaints about all the illegal turns there? Surely this is a reason you could have thought of, if you wanted to?
Quote:
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Hmm.. not a residential area and I'm sure the major new shopping center that was just built there is complaining about cars trying to access the business.

It's a stupid place for a "No right turn". It's a 50kph zone and left turns from the other direction ARE permitted.

Anyway, this isn't about that restriction, but rather how the police do like fishing holes where it's really easy to write tickets for an infraction that has no apparent safety implications.

The officer who said "no, it's too much of a fishing hole" clearly would rather be catching those putting the safety of others at risk, not violating a rule that shouldn't be in place.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Hmm.. not a residential area and I'm sure the major new shopping center that was just built there is complaining about cars trying to access the business.
How about other drivers/commuters whose travel is impacted by selfish assholes who choose to believe the law doesn't apply to them?

Like the ones I see every day who think the "bus only" lane on Lougheed Hwy. at Dewdney Trunk Rd. is there for their personal escape route to jump the traffic stopped at the light? Or the six to ten cars that regularly flow right on through the no-right-on-red at that same intersection, just because they glance left, see the other traffic has only just started moving, and figure the law doesn't apply to them because they figure they can do it "safely"?

Quote:
Anyway, this isn't about that restriction, but rather how the police do like fishing holes where it's really easy to write tickets
All of them except the ones you talked about above, apparently. Your own stated experience demonstrates they don't always go for the "fishing holes".

Quote:
for an infraction that has no apparent safety implications.
Ah, there's your key word: APPARENT. It may not be apparent to you... but then, you seem to have rather selective vision when it comes to these sorts of things. You want to find something wrong with it, so you're blinded to aspects that others may see. Have you sat and studied this intersection for hours, days, weeks at a time? Compiled traffic statistics from it? Or let me guess: you have a problem with it because you're inconvenienced by the no-right-turn on your own commute, and in your 15-20 seconds in the area each day, because YOU don't see any "apparent" issues, there must not actually be any issues?
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
It's a stupid place for a "No right turn". It's a 50kph zone and left turns from the other direction ARE permitted.
That is a stupid place for a no right turn. Victoria should have built some kind of right turn bay if they were worried about people blocking the flow of traffic...

...except they don't do that in BC.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

I suspect it is to prevent cars from clogging up Carey Rd trying to bypass the parking lot HWY1 turns into during rush hour.

However, further supporting the "fishing hole" theory, you rarely see the police there at rush hour to catch drivers trying to skirt the traffic - they're always there when traffic is light and people want to use that road to actually get somewhere.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I go home on 49th past Rupert everyday. I really hate it when the dicks who go in the right turn only lane and cut back after the intersection. I really wish cops would go there and give those people tickets. You see these people purposely going there to cut in instead of waiting like everyone else. This is right by Killarney high school.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
I go home on 49th past Rupert everyday. I really hate it when the dicks who go in the right turn only lane and cut back after the intersection. I really wish cops would go there and give those people tickets. You see these people purposely going there to cut in instead of waiting like everyone else. This is right by Killarney high school.
And this is exactly what I'm talking about. Apparently the idea of other drivers having a frustration with illegal behaviour in a location such as this is a foreign concept to certain people; of course, since this is an obvious "fishing hole", those same people would likely have an issue with cops ever enforcing there.

Just like a cliche becomes a cliche in large part because there is truth to it... so a fishing hole becomes one largely because it is actually a problem location.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
i don't know what the point of posting that link was lol, did you even look at it yourself?

there is no such page on wikipedia
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
i don't know what the point of posting that link was lol, did you even look at it yourself?

there is no such page on wikipedia
If you didn't get it, there's no point explaining it to you.
Quote: