REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Relationship & Gender Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/relationship-gender-discussion_17/)
-   -   Engagement ring Q. How am I going to surprise my gf and still get a ring that fits? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674578-engagement-ring-q-how-am-i-going-surprise-my-gf-still-get-ring-fits.html)

westopher 09-30-2012 01:59 PM

Engagement ring Q. How am I going to surprise my gf and still get a ring that fits?

So, going to surprise my gf with a ring hopefully soon. Forgive me if this is a retarded question, but what have you done to figure out a ring to propose with short of talking the gf to the store to try on rings. I really want the ring to be a surprise. Its not like the proposal will be a shock as we are common law anyways, but I'd like to make it interesting. Do I steal a ring from her? Measure her finger while she's asleep? I have kind of a hilarious random event planned out for the proposal, but it doesn't really work with an empty box haha.

bluejays 09-30-2012 02:04 PM

The initial size doesn't really matter, they can all be adjusted :)
Posted via RS Mobile

westopher 09-30-2012 02:07 PM

Perfect! Thats all I needed to know. Off to the store tomorrow :fullofwin:

Energy 09-30-2012 02:27 PM

Yup, rings are made to be adjustable. Oh and congrats!

Inaii 09-30-2012 02:29 PM

Congrats westopher!

yray 09-30-2012 02:33 PM

steal one of her current rings and ring size chart :fullofwin:

congrats

westopher 09-30-2012 02:51 PM

hahah that was actually my original plan. I don't know where she puts it when she isn't wearing it though.

yousername 09-30-2012 02:55 PM

Her ring size is her shoe size. Congrats!

dinosaur 09-30-2012 03:55 PM

average ring size is 7...but to be safe, give up and go for an 8...she will want to wear it until it can be sized down.
Posted via RS Mobile

westopher 10-01-2012 01:16 AM

Thanks for the help guys! Stress level has gone way down.:fullofwin:

MindBomber 10-01-2012 01:26 AM

Congrats, and good luck!

tiger_handheld 10-01-2012 07:53 AM

you wanna surprise her eh?

here is an idea:

Soundy 10-01-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8043696)

here is an idea:

In Descent Proposal - YouTube

Hahahahaha that was brilliant. Bet she gave him a good hard kick in the nuts once they landed, too :badpokerface:

twitchyzero 10-01-2012 08:51 AM

my condolences

:troll:

dlo 10-07-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8043696)

here is an idea:

In Descent Proposal - YouTube

not a fan of the legal process of marriages but seeing these videos makes me wanna give my SO the best surprise ever haha :fullofwin:

freakshow 10-10-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousername (Post 8043181)
Her ring size is her shoe size. Congrats!

Not sure where that comes from.. but I don't think that's a great way to measure. It would have screwed me over anyways.

Maybe ask one of her girl friends, even if they don't know exactly, their guess is probably a lot better than yours.

LookitsMarkA 10-10-2012 09:35 AM

the trick with this is that you have to do it with her too.. its hard work but you get to keep a heart shape container made with both
of your real size hands. which will be a container for the ring box.

ive always had this idea. and will do this someday. thought it share
its more of a container idea for the box though. but yeah.

1. buy a gel like putty. LOTS.
2. get a big container (enough to put 2 hands) 1 container for u and 1 seperate for her
3. make her shove both of her hands
4. tell her its a suprise. and its something crafty you just want to do
5. buy 2nd type gel putty that hardens after an hour or 2 then pour it
6. you have a perfect hand to measure the ring.. + make the hands in a heart shape with an crystal box
(make sure u use 1 of yours and 1 of hers)
7. make sure you put a place to fit the wedding ring box in the middle
(no u wont be putting the box here while u propose. you will just keep the box here as memoria in a few years

-8 (optional) tell me where your house is after. so i can come steal your finger prints
:troll:

jk, but im serious with the 1-7

what do you guys think though?

westopher 10-12-2012 01:41 PM

Lol way more elaborate than I have planned. Went and bought the ring today, its being made and will be ready in 2 weeks. :fullofwin: Stoked. I was actually surprised how decent a ring you can get in a fairly reasonable price range. Whatever guy came up with the 3 month salary rule must not have had a car to spend his money on.:lawl: As for the size, the girl who helped me at the store was actually pretty much the exact same size/build as my girlfriend. She was a 6.5, so I went with that.

murd0c 10-12-2012 02:25 PM

I would of grabbed one of her rings she currenlty wears or is not wearing and used that to gauge the size. She could of "misplaced it"

Congrats hopefully I meet someone one day I can propose to.

freakshow 10-12-2012 02:59 PM

The way I did it, which isn't as elaborate, but just requires a bit of planning ahead is when you're dating, go to any jewelry store and just pretend to try on rings for fun. They'll tell you what size she is, then just remember that until you need it. I did this for fun while we were dating, but had to remember her size for 2 years before i decided to propose.. good thing her fingers didn't get fatter. :badpokerface:

IMASA 10-12-2012 03:00 PM

I bought a ring form Tiffany, their engagement rings only come in 1 size, a 6 if I recall correctly. And yes they can all be resized.

freakshow 10-12-2012 03:06 PM

I find it hard to believe that they only come in one size...

I know that *in the store*, all their rings are size 6. So if she has size 6 (my wife does), she can just have a field day.

westopher 10-28-2012 12:30 PM

I got engaged yesterday btw:fuckyea:

k2_alpha 10-28-2012 12:35 PM

Congrats

LSF22 10-28-2012 12:41 PM

Congrats!! lets hear how you did it!