REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #76
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
BC ferries is run like YVR when it should be run like BLI (Bellingham airport). We don't need gigantic outdoor screens and outdoor fire places.
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #77
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
One last thing about BC Ferries.

The Pacific Buffet is fantastic.
The gravy they have in the cafeteria is amazing too. Always get it to go with my fries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
That is the worst infographic I've ever seen.

"hey! here's what looks to be a comparison of other ferry systems in comparable size, let's see what they do financia....oh never mind, here's some random facts about boats!"
Kinda reminds me of...

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #79
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
The only bit of useful information I took from the infographic...

The CEO of BC Ferries earns a surprisingly low salary given the degree of responsibility, and complexity of the logistics.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #80
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
^^I thought that too, then I thought "whats that bonus structure look like?"
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #81
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
words can't describe what i think it looks like...here's a gif

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #82
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
From my leather armchair:

BC Ferries is an extension of the highway system and should be treated as such. I don't care about tourists because as a taxpayer in this province, the system should serve my needs first. Get rid of the unions, hire $15/hour lackeys, cut the food service out, and cut fares by 50%. Cut management salaries by 75% and get UBC Sauder grads to run the damn corporation for $60K/year. All you need is a management team of 5 people:
- CEO
- HR
- Sales and promotions
- Fleet maintenance and procurement
- Schedules

I don't drive a BMW, so why should the public have a BMW of a ship? Bare bones is good enough for me. I'll bring my own damn Clif bars and a book for the ride.

And if ships are delayed as a result of the weather or mechanical issues, BC Ferries should issue 50% off vouchers for the week following each incident. I don't care if it costs money. Taxes are already so high here that I, as a working class taxpayer, deserve a break once in a while just because. If only the people running this damn province were as smart as me, we wouldn't be in the mess that we're in today. Common sense means more in the real world than university degrees and business certificates.

Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
From my leather armchair:
And utterly oblivious to the rest of the thread....
Quote:
Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

The CEO of BC Ferries earns a surprisingly low salary given the degree of responsibility, and complexity of the logistics.
And yet oddly, people thought David Hahn was overpaid.
Quote:
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #85
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And yet oddly, people thought David Hahn was overpaid.
I think they thought he was overly pensioned, no? Didn't he golden parachute out?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #86

Quote:

Whats so complex? It's not like they are adding new routes or have stiff competition. They pretty much have know competition. They have been doing the exact same thing for the last 20 plus years.

David Hahn was paid $1,137,007 this year
Mike Corrigan was paid $900000 this year

BC Ferries top salary surpassed $1M - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #87

^They also have to deal with the constant barrage of criticism and stupid questions from armchair quarterbacks who think they have it all figured out because they read something on the internet once about boats.
Quote:
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #88
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Quote:
The government passed legislation last year to cap B.C. Ferries executives' salaries; Corrigan can earn a maximum of $563,000 next year.
http://www.vancouversun.com/business...854/story.html

For comparison, Sean Durfy, ex-CEO of WestJet , earned a base salary of $535,000, and total compensation of $2,198,422.

Quote:
They are losing money on sailing a scheduled sailing even if the passengers don't show up. Well, come on guys, you've been at this for 20 years, you should know by now when people are going to be there and when they aren't.$
Following Thanksgiving weekend, 98 sailings are being dropped. Great news!

Even better news, BC Ferries was originally seeking to drop 400 sailings, which indicates to me that BC Ferries isn't being run by idiots...

...unfortunately the province is run by idiots, who instead ordered an additional $20 million a year in subsidies.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ries-cuts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Whats so complex? It's not like they are adding new routes or have stiff competition. They pretty much have know competition. They have been doing the exact same thing for the last 20 plus years.

David Hahn was paid $1,137,007 this year
Mike Corrigan was paid $900000 this year

BC Ferries top salary surpassed $1M - British Columbia - CBC News
The logistics involved with operating a fleet of passenger ferries is a monumental task; managing general maintenance and breakdowns without impacting the schedule; regulating a supply of everything from replacement parts to fuel to food; crewing the vessel with people capable of captaining, navigating, and maintaining a ferry, and even doing the menial tasks but with the specific safety certifications required; keeping current passengers happy; attracting new passengers.

I see a lot of similarities between the role of an airline CEO and our ferry CEO; the obvious difference being the lack of competition faced by BC Ferries easing some aspects of the job, but airlines get to pick and choose the routes they operate on where BC Ferries has a fixed set adding a pretty significant challenge. Oh, and most airlines bleed money and often go bankrupt, coincidence?

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-05-2012 at 12:05 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #89

Quote:
^They also have to deal with the constant barrage of criticism and stupid questions from armchair quarterbacks who think they have it all figured out because they read something on the internet once about boats.
Or maybe because I have been using it all my life. People on the mainland just don't understand. The ferry system is a part of our roadway just like your bridges are. Going on the ferry is not a vacation or a fun time.

Quote:
B.C. Ferries defends need for high-priced executives

For comparison, Sean Durfy, ex-CEO of WestJet , earned a base salary of $535,000, and total compensation of $2,198,422.

Following Thanksgiving weekend, 98 sailings are being dropped. Great news!

Even better news, BC Ferries was originally seeking to drop 400 sailings, which indicates to me that BC Ferries isn't being run by idiots...

...unfortunately the province is run by idiots, who instead ordered an additional $20 million a year in subsidies.

BC Ferries cuts 98 sailings on major routes this winter - British Columbia - CBC News

The logistics involved with operating a fleet of passenger ferries is a monumental task; managing general maintenance and breakdowns without impacting the schedule; regulating a supply of everything from replacement parts to fuel to food; crewing the vessel with people capable of captaining, navigating, and maintaining a ferry, and even doing the menial tasks but with the specific safety certifications required; keeping current passengers happy; attracting new passengers.

I see a lot of similarities between the role of an airline CEO and our ferry CEO; the obvious difference being the lack of competition faced by BC Ferries easing some aspects of the job, but airlines get to pick and choose the routes they operate on where BC Ferries has a fixed set adding a pretty significant challenge. Oh, and most airlines bleed money and often go bankrupt, coincidence?
Sailing being dropped is bad news. Last ferry from Tsawwassen is 5:45 P.M. Good luck going on a day trip.

Having fixed routes makes the CEO's job much easier and B.C. ferries does not have to deal with multiple countries. West jet flyes to over 60 destinations. There is a lot of waste on BC ferries that should be cut.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #90
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Or maybe because I have been using it all my life. People on the mainland just don't understand. The ferry system is a part of our roadway just like your bridges are. Going on the ferry is not a vacation or a fun time.
Like, say, the Sea to Sky was for me, when I commuted to Whistler for work everyday?

Commuting to Whistler wasn't a vacation or a fun time, but that didn't keep me from enjoying the beauty that surrounded me on the drive.

It's not that we don't understand, it's that we view the ride through a different, less bitter, perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic
Sailing being dropped is bad news. Last ferry from Tsawwassen is 5:45 P.M. Good luck going on a day trip.

Having fixed routes makes the CEO's job much easier and B.C. ferries does not have to deal with multiple countries. West jet flyes to over 60 destinations. There is a lot of waste on BC ferries that should be cut.
You're difficult to please, you're saying, you want BC Ferries to continue operating runs at 25% capacity? The waste that you say needs to be cut, like minor upgrades to the ships that cost a few hundred thousand dollars to install but last decades, is nothing compared to the ferry losing thousands of dollars every time it makes a specific run because the capacity is well below the break even point.

Having a fixed set of routes does not make things simpler, it makes things exponentially more difficult. Westjet can drop routes that are not profitable and add routes that are profitable; BC Ferries needs to run the routes with razor thin profit margins or inevitably operate at a loss, because it's an essential service, and just make the best out of the routes that can operate at a profit.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #91

Quote:
As I recall, they're talking about total sailings, system-wide, I believe on a monthly basis.

The Tsawwassen/Swartz Bay run typically has 9 crossings each way per day (up to 14 when it's busy, like the long weekends). That's 18 regular sailings total right there. Another 8 for Duke Point, 16 more for Horseshoe Bay/Nanaimo. So right there on the major runs, you have 42 sailings *per day*, not counting extra sailings for busy periods. That's AT LEAST 1260 sailings per month... again, JUST on the three major routes.

Then you have 18 sailings per day for Langdale, 32 sailings per day to Bowen Island, 16 per day Earls Cove to Saltery Bay, 8 for Comox to Powell River... there's another 72 *per day* just for the Sunshine Coast, another 2160 in a month.

So yeah, 98 sailings really doesn't mean fuck all in the grand scheme of things. You could eliminate one mid-day mainland/island sailing on each of the major routes and almost hit that mark per month.

Quote:
Like, maybe... low-traffic sailings?
Quote:
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #92
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
The Tsawwassen/Swartz Bay run typically has 9 crossings each way per day (up to 14 when it's busy, like the long weekends). That's 18 regular sailings total right there. Another 8 for Duke Point, 16 more for Horseshoe Bay/Nanaimo. So right there on the major runs, you have 42 sailings *per day*, not counting extra sailings for busy periods. That's AT LEAST 1260 sailings per month... again, JUST on the three major routes. ?
So basically, they need to build a fucking bridge
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
So basically, they need to build a fucking bridge
Yeah, that question has been studied to death. Last version I saw, IIRC, concluded that IF it were technically possible, it would be at least 10 years before it was ready for any traffic, and tolls to pay for it would be in the realm of anywhere from $200 to $800(!!!) each way. Seems to me any direct route from the Lower Mainland was long ago ruled out due to the combinations of water depth, seabed composition, seismic concerns, and accommodation for shipping lanes... the most likely feasible route, based on some discussions I've seen, would be somewhere farther up-island, linking to the Sunshine Coast, probably via Texada Island, linking Qualicum Beach to somewhere north of Sechelt... a route so far out of the way it would be impractical for most travellers.

Or you could Just Fucking Google It: Let me google that for you

The very first link brings you to a Ministry of Transportation and Highways report: A Potential Fixed Link to Vancouver Island - Ministry of Transportation

But hey, keep dreaming that dream... I'm sure someday the technology will be there.
Quote:
Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #94
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
to somewhere north of Sechelt...
And guess how you get to Sechelt from Vancouver ?

But if there's one bridge I wish they'd bloody build, it'd be across the Finlayson arm. I'd be happy to pay tolls on that.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #95
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,490 Times in 570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
A couple weeks ago. Life is as you make it...I love sitting on the ferry, staring out into the ocean, watching the little islands go by. Pretty relaxing to me
It could be far more relaxing and enjoyable if the damn seats were more comfortable or even if there was somethin to put your feet up on.

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More

We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
Phil@rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
And guess how you get to Sechelt from Vancouver ?
That's where you build a $500B highway from Squamish across the peninsula. That'll be another $100 toll, thanks.

Quote:
But if there's one bridge I wish they'd bloody build, it'd be across the Finlayson arm. I'd be happy to pay tolls on that.
I talked to Finlayson, he wishes you'd stop the hell driving over his arm
Quote:
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
It could be far more relaxing and enjoyable if the damn seats were more comfortable or even if there was somethin to put your feet up on.
The seats are plenty comfortable if your ass isn't too fat...
Quote:
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #98

Quote:
The seats are plenty comfortable if your ass isn't too fat...
Not compared to the older ferries. The fast ferries had the worst seats.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #99
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,688 Posts
This shit reminds me of the Vancouver Sun when they posted their public employee salary search.

Public Sector Salaries - Vancouver Sun

Interesting enough BC Ferries employees aren't searchable for 2010/2011 (I wonder why), but if you search 2009's listing, you will find the highest paid salary in the province was the CEO of BC Ferries, a large portion of the Top 20 were BC Ferries employees.

Can someone explain to me why the hell the top dogs for BC Ferries are paid such high wages when they are basically running a monopoloy with no actual competition to speak of?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #100
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
Commuting to Whistler wasn't a vacation or a fun time, but that didn't keep me from enjoying the beauty that surrounded me on the drive.
Especially the days when you get to see a pod of Orcas swimming past the ferry.

People pay big bucks to go on whale watching boats to see that.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: