REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,409 Times in 2,069 Posts
Employment and surgery

What are the labour laws in BC regarding surgery? Can an employer refuse to give an employee time off for surgery? My best friend needs surgery asap to remove tumors from her throat and her boss is refusing to give her the time off to do it. I can't find anything online regarding this unfortunately.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

An employer is legally bound to accommodate to the point of “undue hardship”. Your friend will need to work with the manager to set time off. Legal action could potentially be taken.

Your friend can Contact the Employment Standards Branch by calling the toll free Information Line at 1-800-663-3316 to ask for advice.

Last edited by StutteR_; 10-03-2012 at 09:56 AM.
StutteR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Wtf Wow, what a douche bag. Karma will come full circle and bite this guy in the ass. Sounds like a serious surgery and she should be able to take time off legally.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Wow, interesting. From the research I just did, it looks like there actually isn't any provision in the BC labour laws that say an employer has to grant a leave for medical emergencies.

Government of B.C., Labour and Citizens' Services, Employment Standards Branch, Leaves and Jury Duty Factsheet

Nothing about medical emergencies mentioned.

But in the equivalent document for Ontario, it says:

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english.../emergency.php

Quote:
Generally, employees are entitled to take personal emergency leave for pre-planned (elective) surgery. Although such surgery is scheduled ahead of time (and therefore not a medical "emergency"), surgeries performed because of an illness or injury will entitle an employee to personal emergency leave.
Another link that summarizes leave of absense rules across provinces seems to show the same thing:

Workershelp.ca - Leaves of Absence from Work
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

What a fucking asshole.

How long will it take to recover from the surgery?

EI has sickness benefits. We play EI for a reason
BigTrollFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Someone I knew had to take time off from his job because of a serious injury he got from playing soccer. He was laid off when he was finally able to work again =/ shitty
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,092 Posts
If I needed serious surgery and was not given the time off, I'd quit that company.
What a total douche of a boss.
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Head Moderator

Damn. There's no official rules regarding this? I'm waiting to hear back from my own HR rep to see what options she may have, even though we work at completely different companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrollFace View Post
What a fucking asshole.

How long will it take to recover from the surgery?

EI has sickness benefits. We play EI for a reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschedog View Post
Someone I knew had to take time off from his job because of a serious injury he got from playing soccer. He was laid off when he was finally able to work again =/ shitty
Yeah, I ended up in the same situation. Had to have emergency surgery for a hernia and once I got back to work they laid me off. At least I had Medical EI to cover me in the time being.

Recovery time for this type of surgery is between 3 and 6 weeks, depending on how invasive the surgeon decides to get.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
If I needed serious surgery and was not given the time off, I'd quit that company.
What a total douche of a boss.
Yeah, this is just the icing on the cake for her boss. She's just trying to tough it out until January and then she's back in school.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Yeah, this is just the icing on the cake for her boss. She's just trying to tough it out until January and then she's back in school.
Hope everything works out for your friend.
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

doesnt this come under sick time? i mean, get the surgery, tell doc. to write a note to be off work fo x number of days??
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Have you friend look at the employee handbook and search for the 'Short-Term Disability' policy. Your friend should also provide the request for a leave IN WRITING: illustrating circumstances, the scheduled surgery time, and the approximate return to work time. Indicate that the surgery date is somewhat flexible to accommodate business needs, but the surgery can no longer be delayed due to possible complications (get this in writing from the doc as well)

Deliver the letter to the boss + HR in writing. If you have everything in writing, then your friend is safe. If the employer fires your friend, then your friend will have a case for wrongful dismissal + failure to accommodate.

(Not legal HR advice)

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I know it sounds simple. But how about just contacting HR ?

Hell, even when I was working back in college at a lowly department store making minimum wage, the Manager was a douche. One call to HR about the drastic actions he has done and boom, he was gone.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,045 Posts
Could be a small business, in those cases the manager usually is the HR department. I can't even imagine working for a fuck face like, makes me appreciate the employers I've had over the years.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 8,096 Times in 3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
Wtf Wow, what a douche bag. Karma will come full circle and bite this guy in the ass. Sounds like a serious surgery and she should be able to take time off legally.
may be she used the i'm sick excuse too often or there's a back story?
i'm not saying that is the case but don't jump to a conclusion and pass judgement if you don't know them...in this case the boss and the op's friend.

BST feedback
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i'm not saying that is the case but don't jump to a conclusion and pass judgement if you don't know them...in this case the boss and the op's friend.
I don't believe she's ever called in sick to work. In fact, she's a manager at her work and she chastises some of her employees for using that excuse far too often. The issue at play is that me and her recently went on a vacation and her boss doesn't want her taking anymore time off. The problem is that her surgeon didn't give her the surgery date until after we came back from the States.

She was trying to do this by the proper chain of command; in this case, going to her immediate supervisor, the District Manager. However, seeing as her boss is unwilling to budge, I've suggested she talk to her HR rep and see what can be done from there. I also shot an email to my own HR rep to get his opinion on the situation since he's very familiar with labour laws.

Either way, thanks for all your help. It's a shitty situation she's found herself in and I'm just trying to do everything I can to help ease it.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
You cannot dismiss/reject a STD leave request because the employee has abused the sick-leave policy, even if the employee has been disciplined for it. UNLESS, the employee is let go with cause because of multiple un-excused absences, and has been issued a warning in writing already. Even then, the (former) employee can argue that the unexcused absences was a result of the medical condition(s). The laws are made to protect the employee's interests, and not the employer.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #18
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

You should go straight to the source to find the "correct" answer, call the labour relations board and inquire. That way there aren't any doubts.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
You should go straight to the source to find the "correct" answer, call the labour relations board and inquire. That way there aren't any doubts.
The Labour Relations Board is for unionized members. In this case, she has to deal with the Employment Standards Branch. Speaking of which, I tried calling and despite the website saying they're open from 8:30 to 4:30, their automated system states that they're already closed for the day.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,133 Times in 230 Posts
I'm not aware of this but my previous employer gave me medical leave... TWICE so I can get surgeries. And I came back without any problems going on...

More like her employer is a dick then. lol

[29-04, 00:14] El Bastardo: Santofu isn't the hero Revscene needs, but hes the hero Revscene deserves
Santofu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
You cannot dismiss/reject a STD leave request because the employee has abused the sick-leave policy, even if the employee has been disciplined for it. UNLESS, the employee is let go with cause because of multiple un-excused absences, and has been issued a warning in writing already. Even then, the (former) employee can argue that the unexcused absences was a result of the medical condition(s). The laws are made to protect the employee's interests, and not the employer.
That's why you see employee's get laid off and not fired. It's a lot harder to argue when you were laid off as opposed to firing someone. It's so easy for an employer to use the we're slow or don't have work for this person excuse.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
private modder

Thanked 1,835 Times in 485 Posts
I believe it works like this.

If you're sick and need to take time off work, your employer must accommodate you up until the point it causes undue hardship. This is part of BC Human Rights code, not Employment code. Further, they can't fire you for being temporarily sick because that would be dismissal without proper cause.

However, the employer doesn't have to pay you while you're sick, unless it is offered as part of a benefits package (like through paid sick time, or short term disability benefits, etc). If no benefits are available, then you need to apply for EI.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote