REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Suggestions cuban cigars

This sunday is a friend's bachlor party and one of the suggestions, I know it is not healthy, is to smoke cuban cigars.

I'm a non smoker and have even less experience with cigars.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cuban cigars that can be purchased in Vancouver?
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Why cubans?

Anyways go to city cigars on 2nd ave, they rock. Friendly and helpful.

good suggestions for cigars are romeo/juliets or stronger cohibas.
Ill tell you that if its your first time, ya might want something less rich/strong and.don't smoke while too intoxicated and full, or you going to puke
Posted via RS Mobile
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
This place has pretty good selection and I'm sure they can help with any questions.
#1 Vancouver Cigar Store for Cuban Cigars, Humidors, Hookah, and Pipe Tobacco | | City Cigar Emporium
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
do you think smoking cuban cigars is worse for you than other cigars?
as far as i know, cubans are only illegal in the states because of the trade embargo with cuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

+1 for City Cigar. Let them know what price range you want to be in and they'll help you pick out something that fits your budget and needs. Very helpful staff, I frequent that place for all of my cigars.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I looked into the same situation recently and read that Montecristo cigars are the best or that is most popular cubans

but like you ive no clue so i based my decision on price and packaging

you can read this or google; gives you a rundown on the popular brands
Best Cigars in the World - Famous Cuban Cigars

http://www.top10list.com/top,10,cuba...ban-cigars.asp

http://www.topcubans.com/

other sites rank them differently and have a mix of different brands in their lists so search around going with the usual suspects may be the best option
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #7

Montecristo's are great cigars but if your not a cigar smoking regular you'll most likely prefer something with a light taste.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I'd recommend a personal favourite, Partagas Serie P No.2
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #9

You may also want to consider any of the "tubos" cigars since you don't have to worry too much about carrying them around. They come in a protective tube so you can throw them in your pocket and not worry about breaking or damaging any.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #10

Only reason Cubans were suggested was because none of us smoke cigars and when we thought of cigars, Cubans were the first ones that came to mind.

I work close to City Cigar and was going to stop by there on friday just before the stag but wanted some suggestions from you guys first before I go there.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Get Romeo y Julieta No. 2 en cedro

Relatively cheap, very tasty and mild.

There is also Romeo y Julieta Petit Princess which is small, rare and tastes so beautiful people will cry.

Whats your price range per stick?
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #12

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
i got my first couple cigars at perks across from oakridge mall right by samurai sushi. i got the ones in a protective tube named guantonomera (sp?). its just under $10 a stick. remember, when you buy the cigar, ask if its precut or not, otherwise you will need to buy a cutter as well.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #13

No real budget in mind.
I'll take a look at these suggestions and go from there.

Since I am a non smoker, I just want to have a taste and I think everyone else feels the same.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
i got my first couple cigars at perks across from oakridge mall right by samurai sushi. i got the ones in a protective tube named guantonomera (sp?). its just under $10 a stick. remember, when you buy the cigar, ask if its precut or not, otherwise you will need to buy a cutter as well.
I guess I'm out of thanks for today.
I'll thank you tomorrow when I have more. Strange though, there is no fail button for you. Interesting.

Nevermind. Now the Thanks button and fail button are back.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #15

You don't need a cutter unless you buy torpedoes or pyramids (pointy butt). All other cigars (if not pre-cut) have a little flap at the back which is dry, so you have to wet the butt end (spit on it) and peel it with your nails. It should come off easily. If you guys are new to smoking, I suggest pretty much anything from Romeo and Julieta. Mild and tasty. Montecristo's, Partagas, Cohiba are all a tad more full-bodied.

Montecristo Edmundo
Montecristo No. 2 (Need cutter)
Romeo y Julieta Pyramidas (Need cutter)
Romeo y Julieta Churchills

Those are also some good one to look at.

If you want to go baller, buy Cohiba Lanceros... Apparently those were first made for Mr. Castro himself before they went into production...
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #16

Just remember if you don't cut, don't go too crazy when peeling the cigar and unwind too much of the leaf. The guys in the shop (any shop) will cut them for you to save you the trouble.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
Just remember if you don't cut, don't go too crazy when peeling the cigar and unwind too much of the leaf. The guys in the shop (any shop) will cut them for you to save you the trouble.
+1! If you do end up peeling, there is a risk that you will unwrap it, and it sucks smoking an unwrapped cigar...
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Best to talk to the folks @ City Cigar to get advice and suggestions. I'm a non-smoker but cigar smoking is an acquired taste and in my personal experience, don't go straight to one. You could but City Cigar introduced me to some basic entry level non-Cubans. I learned how to smoke cheaper non-Cubans at first to learn and to understand the process then finally moved on to Cubans. My personal suggestion is to ask City Cigar to introduce you to a lighter cigar and nothing too heavy. You may end up disliking the experience altogether smoking a strong/heavy cigar. Not to mention, waste your money.

My favourite cigars are by Carlos Torano. Unfortunately, they are no longer sold here since Robusto went belly up. I've pretty much stopped smoking cigars since.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

We smoke big blunts here.
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I guess I'm out of thanks for today.
I'll thank you tomorrow when I have more. Strange though, there is no fail button for you. Interesting.

Nevermind. Now the Thanks button and fail button are back.

What BcrDukes said, nailed it.

and...

Sharing a cigar is alright.....all that saliva on the tip lol.
It's a bachelors party! Plus, you don't have to smoke it all in that evening, just rest it and it will die out.

And cutting it is just as fun (Entire experience factor). I bet city cigar will give you a free cutter (I did).
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #21

Excellent.

Thanks guys.

If we are lucky, we'll smoke 3-4 cigars and a few blunts (just for you Guava)
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #22

I know you aren't going to smoke one after another, but...don't waste a 20 dollar cigar lol.

Maybe after you've had your fun and are sobering up. Smoke the cigar with a nice cold beer on a patio or something, listening to some nice music.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #23

honestly, if you're a noob you really may not be able to tell the difference or care between a high end cigar or a $10. I don't mean any disrespect to people who can - it's just that whne it's your first time smoking and you don't really know what to look for or really care, it won't matter. My first few cigars were $5-$10 philly blunt, and some other shit. Then i had some supposidly decent cubans that my friend brought over from cuba. Both were good to me and i know this sounds ignorant, but i liked them all. For me it's the experience of smoking it, and like with cheap wine vs. medium-grade wine, it all usually tastes really decent or really horrible to me, no matter the price (so far all have been decent)

im not saying don't take the advice and cheap out (since it's a bachelor party) - just saying, likely you'll enjoy it or hate it no matter if it's a decent one or a really good one

also sharing cigars sounds kinda gross lol...i would get one each...and there's no way you'll smoke more than 1 that way...after 1 you'll be way too lightheaded (as a non-smoker form the smoke and the influx of tobacco) to want more
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
There are some very fine non-Cuban cigars out there. You just have to experiment with them and figure them out on your own.

There are some $10-$15 cigars which I've had and they have this nice light, creamy flavour and a very silky smooth smoke to them. Goes well with a nice cup of coffee (black). On the other hand, there are some cigars in the $15 - $25 range which can possibly have a strong, spicy and pungent flavour with a higher possibility to ruin the evening of fun.

I would suggest a shorter cigar to experiment. Nothing like a Churchill because that will take forever. Also, make sure you light your cigars with at least a butane lighter and/or with a piece of cedar for the best results. Do not use a Zippo or Bic! You will ruin the flavour altogether! Oh yeah, don't inhale. Instead, draw some smoke and swirl it around your mouth, coat your mouth and tongue to really appreciate the cigar for its quality and the full experience.

Have fun!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #25
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
My one tip is to NOT share a cigar.

The tip will be as wet as a mop haha
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: