REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #20926
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Do you live in a detached house on the ground level or basement?

We live in a two-level Vancouver Special (ground level + level above, no basement), before we renovated you could hear literal word-for-word conversations between the floors.
I live in a newer build concrete tower in metrotown. Pretty solid and can't hear voices but the dropping of shit all day... lol
Advertisement
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #20927
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Does the rockwool make a noticeable? Right now my plan is just resilient channel + 2 layers of 5/8. Not sure if adding the rockwool is worth the added cost if the gains aren't noticeable.
Rockwool will give you about +3 STC points but not IIC. In comparison to double-drywall and res channel at 10-15 STC it's very little. I found it only really helped if you have lots of sound leaks through pot lights, subfloor gaps, framing gaps, no underlayment upstairs, etc.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2022, 10:53 AM   #20928
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
The price difference between rockwool and regular pink bats isn’t very much so the added benefits of the rockwool for smaller spaces is probably worth the cost.

Where costs get crazy is the soundproof drywall etc.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #20929
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Hearing noise is normal, I live in a concrete now, I can hear the people upstairs if they have shoes on, or if they have a gathering

But that's normal.

People in Vancouver have this expectation that it's supposed to be SILENT in community living.

There's people that understand there will be noise, and then there's people that hear a couple footsteps, or a nail being put into a wall, and LOSE IT as if the entire world is about to flop.
People need a reality check, you want silence? Move into a house 50km away from anyone else
This 100%.

I've seen far too many Karens and Toms that decided to sell their home and downsize into a condo without understanding that living in an condo building is a give and take. Some don't understand that and seem to think that every single sound is an inconvenience to them that needs to be catered to. The world does not revolve around you.

That's simply unrealistic. Some things may bother you when living in a building, and guess what, you may do the same at times to your neighbors as well.

Everything is a give and take, and not a one way street.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #20930
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
I complained earlier about noise in my building, but should clarify that it's incessant tapping/hammering/chopping sounds... I don't even mind like 20 minutes or something, everyone builds Ikea furniture once in awhile blah blah..

I don't even care about parties, someone has a party whatever they can send it up a few times a month that's no big deal at all to me... heck I've even walked over to a few before if they were neighbours and chatted a bit.

But some people just don't have any understanding that there are people around them at all.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:01 PM   #20931
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
This 100%.

I've seen far too many Karens and Toms that decided to sell their home and downsize into a condo without understanding that living in an condo building is a give and take. Some don't understand that and seem to think that every single sound is an inconvenience to them that needs to be catered to. The world does not revolve around you.

That's simply unrealistic. Some things may bother you when living in a building, and guess what, you may do the same at times to your neighbors as well.

Everything is a give and take, and not a one way street.
Condo life. Shitty parking and dbag neighbours, the two worst enemies lol. Last night, found a cigarette in the parking lot of my building. Swear people have zero common sense what's so ever. It's like their brain is up their ass. Strata issued a memo, no smoking around inside or around the perimeter of the building. Then you have this idiot go light one up in the underground thinking no one will see or know.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #20932
Performance Moderator

There's a younger couple in my building that smokes what must be multiple packs a day... they're out there together rain or shine like every damn hour... kudos to them, they stand on the sidewalk but what they don't realize is they're right next to the vent that takes in fresh air for the hallway circulation system, so it's literally blowing their smoke into the lobby...

I know they don't realize it and they don't mean harm... eventually I had to just casually mention it to them.

A lot of things are annoying but if you just be nice you can address it and they didn't realize things. I always try the nice approach first and more often than not it works out.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:05 PM   #20933

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
There's a younger couple in my building that smokes what must be multiple packs a day... they're out there together rain or shine like every damn hour... kudos to them, they stand on the sidewalk but what they don't realize is they're right next to the vent that takes in fresh air for the hallway circulation system, so it's literally blowing their smoke into the lobby...

I know they don't realize it and they don't mean harm... eventually I had to just casually mention it to them.

A lot of things are annoying but if you just be nice you can address it and they didn't realize things. I always try the nice approach first and more often than not it works out.
I agree, a simple knock on the door and quick chat always is a better option, and usually results in a fair compromise for both parties.

It's the passive aggressive crap of stomping on floors, smashing brooms on the ceiling, or randomly calling police are the actions that create real conflict and dissonance between neighbors.

I remember years back I had a neighbor of mine randomly call the RCMP as a noise complaint at 6PM on a weekday on me because she could hear a podcast I was listening to while I cooked dinner off a Bluetooth speaker. I was in disbelief when my girlfriend opened the door to an officer while I was in the kitchen. He promptly laughed and left right away, as clearly we were not being loud or were having a party.

I ended up knocking on the door the next day, only to find out that the mother living in the unit had no idea that happened, it turns out it was her daughter who decided to call the police because the sounds of the podcast were "disturbing her studying".

Needless to say after many years of living here with them still as my neighbor, that never occurred again
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:16 PM   #20934
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Last night, found a cigarette in the parking lot of my building. Swear people have zero common sense what's so ever.
I want to become a cop, just so that I can start handing out max fines to people that chuck their buds out while driving on the street

In other news...
What's up with home prices these days

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #20935

Quote:
Condo life. Shitty parking and dbag neighbours, the two worst enemies lol. Last night, found a cigarette in the parking lot of my building. Swear people have zero common sense what's so ever. It's like their brain is up their ass. Strata issued a memo, no smoking around inside or around the perimeter of the building. Then you have this idiot go light one up in the underground thinking no one will see or know.
My friends building had some owner possibly renter walking their dog at night in the parkade letting it pee and poop in the underground cause it was cold and rainy outside. Meanwhile we're all suckers for braving the weather to walk out dogs like decent owners
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:08 PM   #20936
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Any thoughts on the downtown condo market? Prices have been the same as they were back in 2018 while everything else in the lower mainland has gone up 30%+ it seems
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:26 PM   #20937
Performance Moderator

Living downtown is hella inconvenient unless you work there… and so many people are working from home… so I’m not surprised but I do think quietly that it’s not a bad idea if you’re looking for an investment to go that route.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2022, 06:50 AM   #20938

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Mmmm nothing like the finest hobos and random attacks propping values up. #1 city in the world.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:27 AM   #20939

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Mmmm nothing like the finest hobos and random attacks propping values up. #1 city in the world.
Downtown is sketchy these day. Unless I worked in downtown, I wouldn't even want to live down there. Always feel the need to be attentive of my surroundings, cuz you never know what mental dude will go show up. Was walking one time minding my own business, a guy just came up to me and started swearing at me. Never even made a single eye contact with the guy a single time, comes up to me and go yo what you looking at LOL. Like I give a fuck about you bro (in my mind). I just booked it incase he tried to pull out a knife or something.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #20940

Old 03-01-2022, 08:20 AM   #20941
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Was walking one time minding my own business, a guy just came up to me and started swearing at me. Never even made a single eye contact with the guy a single time, comes up to me and go yo what you looking at LOL. Like I give a fuck about you bro (in my mind). I just booked it incase he tried to pull out a knife or something.
Was he asking to see your ID?
Old 03-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #20942
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Living downtown is hella inconvenient unless you work there… and so many people are working from home… so I’m not surprised but I do think quietly that it’s not a bad idea if you’re looking for an investment to go that route.
I didn't want to live in DT 5 years ago when I worked there.

Traffic and parking has only gotten worse since. Nevermind that I want to be close to work, but not THAT close.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:32 AM   #20943

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
seems like having more rental units in a building is directly correlated with having more bad neighbors

living in a low rise with mostly owners living here has been great
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #20944
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
seems like having more rental units in a building is directly correlated with having more bad neighbors

We have a decent strata that care about maintaining the buildings. There's a max number of rental units in our strata at any given time. If someone wants to rent out their place, they go on a waitlist. Next door, a building built around the same time, didn't have any rental restrictions. It's not hard to tell which has more renters! That other place is subjectively worse off.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:36 AM   #20945

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...arch-2022/amp/
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:38 AM   #20946
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post

Have you been inside one of the buildings on marine gateway? It's all air bnb and rentals
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:06 AM   #20947

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rilla View Post
Have you been inside one of the buildings on marine gateway? It's all air bnb and rentals
Wait till you see the garbage rooms
Old 03-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #20948

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Does the rockwool make a noticeable? Right now my plan is just resilient channel + 2 layers of 5/8. Not sure if adding the rockwool is worth the added cost if the gains aren't noticeable.
I'm not really sure how effective it is in reality, but it probably helps.

If I were to do it again, I would have put a second sub-floor down. Our house only had a 1/2" plywood subfloor, I would have put some sort of acoustic membrane on top of the 1/2" subfloor and then added another plywood subfloor on top, to cushion the steps so to speak.

I'm lucky I have rental income, but it really gives me anxiety how much noise we make, so I always try to tip toe around my own damn house. It's annoying. I really wished I did more for sound proofing when we were renovating.

I really hope i'll be able to make enough to get another house with no tenants.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #20949

I think that would be the cheapest way to sound proof, a second layer of subfloor. Especially if you can create an air gap.

However, then you run into all sorts of issues with door jams, etc.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #20950

Has anyone done DIY install for screen window and patio door at their apartment? Or you guys just get a professional to do it? I have 2x windows, and patio door looking to get window screens for.