REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #3526
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I see several possibility (for people to only sink 20-30% of their after tax income on housing:

1) RS folks are all ballers that rank in massive amount of dough
2) they bought before prices skyrocketed
3) they are not buying $1M properties (ie. single detached homes). Instead, they are buying duplexes, town homes, apartments, etc. Out in Surrey, it is still entirely possible to spend only $150k-ish on a 500-ish square fee 1 bedroom suite.
ur exactly right in Vancouver.
1) not likely unless you own your own successful business (this place is built for small business owners, not employees)
2) yup
3) and yup.

That's why the rent vs. own costs are so interesting, if you're renting at more than 3x% of take home pay, you're living above your means, yet this somehow doesn't apply for owned real estate - i find that odd.
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #3527
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Literally just moved into a trailer park and my rent is now 4% of income. About the same percent of girls with teeth here.
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #3528
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Been house shopping for the past 5 months. Flying back from HK every month or so looking at houses and putting down offers. Seeing asking prices $300k-$400k over 2014 assessment and still getting sold. Getting outbid by fuckers going $100k-$200k over asking price with zero subjects.

This is really getting stupid for a place that practically doesn't have an economy and sustainability. I love everything about Vancouver but damn, its really getting played out and its quite obvious which group is doing this.

Even with a $2m budget (after build) I can't find anything I like with a good sized land in Richmond. I just can't afford to play this crazy game. Wife and I decided to wait it out and watch the market adjust. We're willing to wait another 3-5 years if that's what it takes. I'm in no rush to buy a place, just in a rush to move back for my kid so he gets a "normal" education.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #3529
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Does it have to be in Richmond?

2039 WESTVIEW DR MLS®-V1110356 for Sale | RE/MAX

2608 E 53RD AV, Vancouver, British Columbia V5S1V9 - V1103981 | Realtor.ca

The second one is over your budget but you may be able to talk then down to 2M. Those are just two of the many new builds I drive by every day that have been on the market for 6+ months.

You'd think that if investors are just parking their money here, they'd be snatched up ASAP regardless of location no?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #3530
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
6050 ICARUS DRIVE, NANAIMO, British Columbia V9V1B7 - 390500 | Realtor.ca

2740 CLOVER CLOSE, NANAIMO, British Columbia V9R7C6 - 383329 | Realtor.ca
Old 05-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #3531
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post

2608 E 53RD AV, Vancouver, British Columbia $ V5S1V9 - V1103981 | Realtor.ca

The second one is over your budget but you may be able to talk then down to 2M. Those are just two of the many new builds I drive by every day that have been on the market for 6+ months.

You'd think that if investors are just parking their money here, they'd be snatched up ASAP regardless of location no?
Man what was the architect thinking, the second house is literally a box. I can design a better house in The Sims.
NKC is going custom, no house will change his mind. He just need a good chunk of land.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #3532

Thanks guys...and yes it has to be in Richmond, preferably in the Seafair area. Its where my wife and I grew up and we'd love to raise our kids there. I'm looking to build so a tear-down is fine but land has to be a minimum of 8000sqft. I'd have to allocate about $800k +/-$100k for the build.

I've seen about 50+ houses in the past couple months and have put down offers on 5. I feel a lot of urgency when I'm there as if this is the last chance to buy a house. I don't like that feeling and I know its overpriced. I have property elsewhere and definitely not house horny. Just want to move my family and dogs back to retire. I'll have to admit that I can't afford a house in Richmond, definitely not at these prices.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #3533
My homepage has been set to RS

^How about Steveson area? There is a lot in that area which hasnt been listed..8000+sq ft lot tear down. If you are interested let me know and I'll pass the message.
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #3534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducdesmo View Post
^How about Steveson area? There is a lot in that area which hasnt been listed..8000+sq ft lot tear down. If you are interested let me know and I'll pass the message.
Yes that'd be awesome.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #3535
I don't get it either

Shameless plug, what do you guy think of this company my friends and I started? We plan to use tech to streamline the process of making offers so buyers can get a rebate on the buyer agent commission.

https://rebatecrew.com
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #3536
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
The word "crew" makes it sound like a basement teen operation
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #3537
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
found a brand new 1 bedroom with large patio around 550sq ft suite on King Ed.

Price is 400K, good price?
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #3538
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
400k for a room the size of my bathroom? yeah that sounds fantastic
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #3539

Quote:

2608 E 53RD AV, Vancouver, British Columbia $ V5S1V9 - V1103981 | Realtor.ca

LOL... The house next to the first one is now trying to rent it out. There's a big for rent sign out front. A little background info, it used to be a big lot. It was subdivided and two modern Vancouver Special size houses were put up.

Someone moved into one of them, I have a feeling it was the builder/investor. Boom or bust, there's always someone left holding the bag.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #3540
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
400k for a room the size of my bathroom? yeah that sounds fantastic

Ugh!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #3541
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Couple articles on foreign money affecting Vancouver Real estate on Vancouver sun today:

Vancouver lacks effective control over rising house prices, prof says

Spoiler!

Barbara Yaffe: Is it time to restrict foreign property buyers?

Spoiler!
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #3542
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Low interest rates are the number one reason real estate is so out of control. Cheap money drives home prices up.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #3543

Interest rates have been low for a long long time, and it's of course a major reason.

But the 20-30% increase in prices since the start of Jan THIS YEAR is not mostly due to low interest rates. it's due to foreign money, and our currency decreasing.

You want a tear down in east van, try $1 million at least.
Anywhere on west side is $2 million just for land. Prices going up on the west side by 30% since January.

low interest rates don't matter when you are competing with people paying cash with no subjects and paying over listing. How many locals have $2 million cash sitting around?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #3544
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ya low rates and our low dollar have made a shit storm for housing prices....
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #3545

Wasn't the rate cut in January? Would that not have brought higher prices since January?

I'm still not convinced on foreign money. Like I said above, I drive by a lot of properties that have been on the market for months. I've even seen a few up in Edgemont that've been on the market for at least a year. If foreigners are just parking their money, these would've been picked up in no time.

If these foreigners were actual investors, then they'd understand the concept of buy low sell high. Which is why places like LA and Florida are attracting the attention of foreign investors at the moment.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #3546

Quote:
Wasn't the rate cut in January? Would that not have brought higher prices since January?

I'm still not convinced on foreign money. Like I said above, I drive by a lot of properties that have been on the market for months. I've even seen a few up in Edgemont that've been on the market for at least a year. If foreigners are just parking their money, these would've been picked up in no time.

If these foreigners were actual investors, then they'd understand the concept of buy low sell high. Which is why places like LA and Florida are attracting the attention of foreign investors at the moment.
i just used january as a base, i could have said september, as prices have been going up since sept 2014. . .. well technically 2008

Investing is not their main priority. They want to move their money outside of China. And most of these people are no longer "foreigners". Many have become permanent residences in the last few years. But the source of the money is still not from Canada.

The government doesn't want to collect the data, but from people in real estate from land titles offices, landcor, bc assessment, colliers etc, realtors, developers you would see that a lot of the buyers are not local.

I honestly don't understand how people can say it's not foreign money. Almost everyone I know says foreign money plays a huge role. It's a trickle down effect.

I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, as I think it's a good thing. I just want restrictions so it doesn't get out of hand or taxes so that we can capitalize on it better.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #3547

So Australia, Singapore and all these other cities have data showing that chinese money is affecting their real estate, so they put restrictions for foreign investment.

Australian politicians are willing to fine and jail people for illegal foreign home purchases. Yet our politicians are to pussy to do anything.

Australia cracks down on foreign property buyers with fines, jail terms :
Australia cracks down on foreign property buyers with fines, jail terms | Reuters

Australia to tackle high housing prices with fines, jail for illegal foreign home purchases

Quote:
Australia will jail foreigners who purchase homes illegally as the government seeks to slow a surge in house prices, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said.

Sentences may stretch to three years and fines to A$637,500 ($607,000) for illicit buyers, with penalties also on third parties knowingly complicit in violations, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Saturday in Sydney. The steps are needed to give the public confidence that foreign-investment rules on property purchases are being enforced, he said.

The penalties will tighten scrutiny on overseas buyers at a time when record-low interest rates are driving up Sydney property prices five times faster than wages. A company owned by Chinese billionaire Hui Ka Yan's Evergrande Real Estate Group Ltd. -- which illegally bought a A$39 million mansion overlooking Sydney Harbour -- has sold the site to an Australian citizen, Treasurer Joe Hockey's office said Friday.

"What we want to do is ensure that illegal foreign investment is not unnecessarily driving up prices," Abbott said. "If you don't play by the rules there will be a tough penalty regime in place, and those penalties will be enforced."

Overseas buyers are only allowed to purchase newly built homes in Australia and need the permission of the Foreign Investment Review Board. Approved overseas purchases of Australian homes more than doubled to A$34.7 billion in the year ended June, with China overtaking the U.S. as the biggest source of capital, the board said in its annual report Thursday.

Least-Affordable

Sydney ranked third among the least-affordable major metropolitan housing markets worldwide, after Hong Kong and Vancouver, according to a report in January by Demographia.

Melbourne placed sixth in the report, ahead of London in seventh place. New York ranked 15th, tied with the Western Australian capital of Perth and just behind Adelaide.

In Victoria state, foreigners buying houses will pay a new tax equivalent to 3 percent of the purchase price, the Age newspaper reported Saturday. The measures will raise about A$279 million over four years, the newspaper quoted state Treasurer Tim Pallas as saying ahead of his first budget on Tuesday.

Risks to Australia's economy from property speculation and household debt will be one of the main issues studied by an International Monetary Fund team visiting the country next month, the Australian Financial Review quoted the fund's local mission chief as saying today.

They'll also consider whether the issue should be dealt with using monetary policy or government regulation of loan-to- value ratios, bank capital requirements or risk weightings, the paper quoted the IMF's James Daniel as saying.

Price Gains

House prices increased 15 percent in Sydney and 11 percent in Melbourne over the 12 months to April 30, according to data from CoreLogic RP Data. The median dwelling price in Sydney was A$732,500, the data showed.

Under the new law, individual buyers found guilty of breaching foreign investment rules will face penalties of A$127,500 or three years imprisonment. A higher A$637,500 fine will apply to companies.

Third parties who assist investors in breaching the rules will face fines of A$42,500 for individuals and A$212,500 for companies, according to an e-mailed statement from the prime minister's office.

The government plans to introduce legislation on the measures later this year and ensure the changes are enacted on Dec. 1.

'A Fair Go'

"What we want to do is to maximize the opportunities for Australians to buy a home at the best possible price," Abbott said. "We want people to be absolutely confident that local people are getting a fair go."

Abbott declined to comment on a report in the Australian newspaper today saying the government would introduce changes to pension payments so that a reduced rate of pension growth only applied to wealthier Australians. "I'm just not going to engage in pre-budget speculation," he said.

The budget, due May 12, "will be measured, responsible, and fair," he said. "It's a budget that will be good for jobs, growth, and opportunity."

The Daily Telegraph newspaper this week reported that that some members of the government were considering calling an early election the week after the election, even as they trail the opposition Labor party in opinion polls.

"When the public elected us they intended us to govern for three years," Abbott said, when asked about the article. "That's what we intend to do."

Read more: http://bbccanada.dev.canada.com/Aust...#ixzz3ZJnM95rV
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #3548

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
i just used january as a base, i could have said september, as prices have been going up since sept 2014. . .. well technically 2008

Investing is not their main priority. They want to move their money outside of China. And most of these people are no longer "foreigners". Many have become permanent residences in the last few years. But the source of the money is still not from Canada.

The government doesn't want to collect the data, but from people in real estate from land titles offices, landcor, bc assessment, colliers etc, realtors, developers you would see that a lot of the buyers are not local.

I honestly don't understand how people can say it's not foreign money. Almost everyone I know says foreign money plays a huge role. It's a trickle down effect.

I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, as I think it's a good thing. I just want restrictions so it doesn't get out of hand or taxes so that we can capitalize on it better.
Weren't rates also cut in 2008 to help deal with the global credit crisis?

Guess what I'm trying to say is what I see is different from what I hear. What I hear from news, media, friends and coworkers is bidding wars and foreign money. They're just here to park their money in real assets, etc... what I see is the same "For Sale" signs day in and day out. There's a lot of properties they can park their money in and they can probably get a deal on it because it's been on the market for so long. I bet the guy on Westview was expecting some rich Chinese guy to buy his new build right away but it's still there.

I'm not for or against real estate, I view it like I would view any investment. I give the same warnings for all investments. Know what you're getting into and don't throw all your eggs in one basket. Back in 2008, people could've bought any stock and it would've turned into gold. Right now, you have to be pickier and more careful. I think the same applies for RE right now, the party isn't quite over yet but proceed with caution.

Last edited by !LittleDragon; 05-05-2015 at 10:06 PM.
!LittleDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #3549
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^ I think there are also many who are hoping to cash in on this foreign money, and have their homes listed for exorbitant amounts hoping for that 1 right buyer--it only takes 1. The foreign buyers are not stupid and looking to park their money just anywhere. When you have the cash on hand, you have choices and options, and obviously you would still want value.

ie. 25% off on a house asking for 2M that's really only worth 1.5M isn't really much of a deal at all, its an inflated asking price. Also if it's been on the market for so long, you have to wonder why, and are the sellers actually keen on selling or just fishing for the right buyer and cashing in big.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #3550
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
$2 mill and you can't find a house in Richmond for 4 people?! How much space do you need, half the market in Richmond is for sure just under or around the $1-mill marker.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote