REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #5576
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
WAT

Are we nearing $1 million for east side townhouses now?
We're past that for townhouses around Lougheed Mall. Just happened yesterday, friend's townhouse. 7 offers, 2 of the buyers waited with their agents outside the house while offers were reviewed.

Makes my $1.1M 1900sf East Van duplex suddenly feel like a bargain.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #5577
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
where abouts at lougheed mall? which townhouses?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #5578
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
Sold for $890k no conditions.
UGHHHHHHHH....
IGTBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #5579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Just south of Lougheed Mall station - 10 min walk around Government st.

My mind still throbs at how much it sold for.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #5580
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
95-9088 Halston Court, Burnaby, BC, Townhouse For Sale | REW.ca

I assume it's this one.

A 3 bed/3 bath in this complex sold for 825K last week.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #5581
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
The real estate market here is so bonkers that I'm actually looking at Sydney and thinking "hmmm, the prices are not too different... And I can make much more there... And I get to live near an actual beach..."

6/54 Ewos Pde Cronulla NSW 2230 - Apartment for Sale #122177638 - realestate.com.au

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #5582
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
I'm starting to get really confused about where all this money comes from. Are like 95% of the people in this city making 6 figures a year? I understand about the foreign investment. The local investment. The rich people with second, third, or fourth homes here. The landlords. The old money. But as the ridiculous prices keep spreading outwards from the actual desirable areas, seriously, something has to give. Paying a million dollars for a townhouse in burnaby is a fucking laughable prospect. Its completely panic driven purchases.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #5583
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'm starting to get really confused about where all this money comes from. Are like 95% of the people in this city making 6 figures a year? I understand about the foreign investment. The local investment. The rich people with second, third, or fourth homes here. The landlords. The old money. But as the ridiculous prices keep spreading outwards from the actual desirable areas, seriously, something has to give. Paying a million dollars for a townhouse in burnaby is a fucking laughable prospect. Its completely panic driven purchases.
From the TD Website:

For a 30 year mortgage for $1,000,000.00 at the rate of 4.64%, your Monthly payment is:
Mortgage Payment:$5,123.92
Insurance Payment:$0.00
Total Monthly Payment:$5,123.92

Five. Thousand. Dollars.

Before taxes and repairs.

Like, how much do you need to be making to afford that, realistically? The "rule of thumb" is 30-32% of income towards mortgage & taxes/fees. So your family would have to be *netting* 180k per year to play it safe. That's, like, grossing 140k per year per person for a couple.

For something like a 1.2m house.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills throughout this thread, and time and time again the market has demonstrated being completely irrational.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 PM   #5584

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
I recall a report a couple of years ago which was either for Vancouver or BC (sorry, can't recall) stating that only 5% of workers earn >$100,000

That's slightly scary that 95% of workers (let alone those that don't work) earn less than $100,000.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #5585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
From the TD Website:

For a 30 year mortgage for $1,000,000.00 at the rate of 4.64%, your Monthly payment is:
Ratehub tells me that based on a gross family income of 130K with a 230K down payment, one could get financing on a home valued up to $1.1 million. This is based on a 2.44% 5-year fixed rate which is available to anyone today through the broker channel. I'm not saying that one should buy a million dollar home with a small down payment, but it can be done. Payments on the mortgage would be just over 3000 per month. So, you're probably looking at about 4000 per month when it comes to total housing costs. Big difference.

I know why you used an interest rate of 4.64% in your example (because the historical average between 2000-2010 was around 5%), but it isn't really relevant in the current market. Interest rates are likely to remain low for the next several quarters. Buy now, worry later.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #5586
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
It is... The power of FOMO is pretty astonishing in any investment market actually. Price can ignore fundamentals and keep going up for seemingly forever.

I think the answer to your question is "foreign" investors snatching it left and right, then locals who are for some reason, have to have a detached home, bit the bullet and mortgage their lives and their children lives to keep up with the bid. The cycle continues. until somebody stop or there are foreign intervention (government).
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #5587
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Until locals (working class) stop being able to get a mortgage for a 1.5M house, this crazyness will continue.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #5588
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
In my neighborhood I swear I'm the only person within blocks that doesn't have a suite which is not helping the issue as far as density goes here. In order to afford these houses most people need the extra income to help pay there mortgage. If I had to put a suite in my house I'd downsize and move into a townhouse or a condo, no fucking way I'm dealing with that bullshit but that's just a personal decision.

My wife and I both work and make decent incomes, again no way in hell I'd take on a 700 or 800K mortgage on a million dollar home with 300 down. I guess it's the world were living in but I want no part of that crap, I'd pickup and move somewhere else before I did that. I plan to be mortgage free before 50, I hit 40 a few months ago so head down and stick to the plan.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #5589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
95-9088 Halston Court, Burnaby, BC, Townhouse For Sale | REW.ca

I assume it's this one.

A 3 bed/3 bath in this complex sold for 825K last week.
Right complex, different unit. 4bed/4bath corner instead. 2000sf listed for $899 I think.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #5590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
From the TD Website:

Five. Thousand. Dollars.

Before taxes and repairs.

Like, how much do you need to be making to afford that, realistically? The "rule of thumb" is 30-32% of income towards mortgage & taxes/fees. So your family would have to be *netting* 180k per year to play it safe. That's, like, grossing 140k per year per person for a couple.

For something like a 1.2m house.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills throughout this thread, and time and time again the market has demonstrated being completely irrational.
Minimum downpayment for a $1M+ home is 20% and it's pretty easy to get a 2.5% mortgage right now. I'm carrying a $900K mortgage at 1.95% so payments are about $3300/mo. The basement suite generates $1300 in rent making things pretty manageable for us.

The hard part for most people is coming up with the downpayment - I had equity from my condo and the wife saved a lot over the years. Fortunately, we were able to do it without borrowing or taking gifts from our parents. I was adamant that we not effectively take an "early inheritance" from our parents, they're retired low income (but high net worth) folks.

Last edited by supafamous; 04-07-2016 at 06:28 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #5591
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
My wife and I both work and make decent incomes, again no way in hell I'd take on a 700 or 800K mortgage on a million dollar home with 300 down. I guess it's the world were living in but I want no part of that crap, I'd pickup and move somewhere else before I did that. I plan to be mortgage free before 50, I hit 40 a few months ago so head down and stick to the plan.
Then again, some people were brought up that way so that type of mentality is deeply ingrained.
Brother's friend, 43 and his 38 year old wife.
Both work, total income is $140-160K range.
Both work at the bank and were approved for $1.1M mortgage.
Their plan was to sell their house in Coquitlam where they have $300K in equity and move back to Vancouver to be closer to their parents.
The houses they were looking at are all newer houses with 2 rental suites plus the lane way house.
Yeah, at $2.1M range, that, imo, is way beyond their means but to them it makes really good sense to have those 3 rental incomes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 04-07-2016 at 07:23 AM.
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #5592

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Honestly, it's not about how much someone makes, it's the bank giving out these crazy approvals for mortgages people can't sustain.

Same shit happened in the US. 2008 housing crash, peoples interest rates went sky high, they couldn't afford their home anymore and had to either sell or foreclose on it. The issue with Vancouver is, if this happens, the locals get pushed out and the foreign investors stay. Locals are stretching themselves to get into the market because of; panic.

I will happily wait and see if this crash ever happens, then cash in on the poor souls who can't afford their stupid decision anymore.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #5593
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Yeah, at $2.1M range, that, imo, is way beyond their means but to them it makes really good sense to have those 3 rental incomes.
Carry a 1.8 million mortgage at $6000-7000 a month an bring in $3000-$4000 in rental income is very doable. Is it smart? Not sure. Risky if the house value drops but great if it increases as your mortgage is being paid.

Basically what everyone is doing.
roopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #5594

Whether the market dips, crashes, or stabilizes remains to be seen. However people are definitely taking on much much more than they can afford. My GF and I both make good money as young professionals, but can't imagine taking on a mortgage that is 8 to 10 times our annual gross income. Shit, Vancouver's median household income is like $70,000, we are more than double that and struggling to find something decent in a range that we are comfortable with.

Remember that this forum's average income bracket is probably much higher than the Metro Vancouver average, and that the majority of people out there are just scraping by to make ends meet.

There is also the question of whether you should be buying a house that has two income helpers, and the ONLY way you can afford it is because of them. It's obviously not that big a gamble now because the rental vacancy rate is so low, but I still don't see it a wise decision that a homeowner is solely relying on their tenants to pay their mortgage on a monthly basis, that would freak me out.

Everyday I get mail from realtors displaying houses in the Main and Fraser areas going for $150,000 over asking and wondering who the hell is putting in these crazy bids. Are they young families? Locals downsizing from the westside? Overseas Asian buyers? People who are irrationally making purchases they shouldn't? Or is everyone a freakin millionaire in this city.

Either way, I refuse to be part of this madness.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #5595
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
It is madness, it scares me sometimes thinking this time next year I'll be starting to pay a crazy mortgage. Wife and I combined are over 6 figures but not like crazy over 6 figures. Based on my monthly calculations of mortgage (at current rate) strata, hydro, P tax, and all our month expenses even down to cell phones and tv we should be pretty good with plenty left over to not be house poor. With that said, if anyone needs a kidney, I may have 1 for sale

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #5596
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Minimum downpayment for a $1M+ home is 20% and it's pretty easy to get a 2.5% mortgage right now. I'm carrying a $900K mortgage at 1.95% so payments are about $3300/mo.
2.5% mortgage is attainable sure, through 2/3/4 year mortgage fixed rate terms, or 5 year variable. 5 year fixed at 2.5% not do-able by the banks.

Nice rate you have there at Prime - 0.75%, when you renew your mortgage you are in for a treat
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #5597
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Posted on the Sun website:

Two for one: Couple sells Vancouver house to buy pair of New West properties:

Two for one: Couple sells Vancouver house to buy pair of New West properties | Vancouver Sun
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #5598

Here's the dilemma a lot of young professionals are probably facing right now. You and your partner probably make a decent amount of money, have connections (which can take years to build), and may or may not a small amount of savings or equity from a starter condo. Do you leave and take jobs in a regional centre, like Kelowna or Prince George where there's no guarantee that you'll make the equivalent salary? (one person might, but the other may not) What if you have ailing parents? Do you leave them and take flights into town every couple of months to do stuff, like take them to the doctor or cut their grass? Maybe it's worth the lower cost of living, but these are tough questions.

If you don't have citizenship or the right of abode in somewhere like the EU and cannot qualify for a TN/HB visa in the States, where else would you go in Canada? Toronto is just as bad in terms of real estate. I could fathom a place like Calgary which is at least somewhat cosmopolitan and has recreation nearby, but where else? Saskatoon? Winnipeg? Ottawa? Halifax? Sure, you could raise a family in Saskatoon, or Medicine Hat, but no one wants to retire there. As others on this forum have stated, people from Ontario dream of coming to BC.

If you're already in the market with a condo, do you cash out? Put a quarter of the proceeds into bonds and the remaining into equities and hope you obtain a return of 6-7% after taxes? Rent a basement suite for 1500/month and budget/factor in a move every 3-5 years? Or, perhaps you get on a list for co-op housing, pass the interviews, etc. and hope that a level of government continues to keep subsidizing your rent?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #5599
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
saw this article this morning

The three-bedroom challenge: Space in short supply for Vancouver families

Quote:
But finding a three-bedroom unit in their price range of about $750,000 has been nearly impossible.

“They just don’t seem to be in the market,” Matthew said. “We find a lot of townhomes, which are great and we’d be happy to do that, if we could afford it. When we looked at three-bedroom condos, they just didn’t really exist.”
$750K
$750K
$750K
$750K
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #5600
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
I'm starting to get really confused about where all this money comes from.
A close friend just purchased a house with her husband. Doubt they make 6 figures each, but probably pretty close (gross). Only way they could afford a relatively decent down payment was to take out a LOC secured by her parents' house. even then the payments are pretty huge. I'm guessing this is how a lot of people whose families aren't super well off are doing it. Makes me cringe to think of using debt to get more debt.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote