REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #5776
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
if only others will listen. too many people analyze the most trivial data and somehow try to fit those information into their already established beliefs (confirmation bias).

you want stay in vancouver for the long term and have a family? buy if you have the financial backings. do not wait! it doesn't get any more simpler than that. all the other stuff is garbage.
The main problem with this thinking is it drives up the pricing. I'm selling my condo soon so I will benefit from it but it causes other to overstretch due to fear.
Advertisement
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:01 PM   #5777
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
The main problem with this thinking is it drives up the pricing. I'm selling my condo soon so I will benefit from it but it causes other to overstretch due to fear.
why do you care others will overstretch their budget? i don't understand your mentality. if i go to the grocery store and buy a $10 ice cream when there is $5 alternative do you get worried as well?

the market is working the way it is supposed to; and it has been working for the past few hundred years. please worry less and more enjoyment of the gain you will soon realize.

Last edited by Carl Johnson; 04-15-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #5778
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Why worry if people are over stretched? Give me a break. For someone who is so adiment on the RE industry, I think you forgot these mortgages are loans that have to be paid.

Keep pumping up that balloon Carl. This has probably been discussed before, but how invested are you in the industry that you fail to have any reality on the situation. I'm not seeing much level headed thinking.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-16-2016 at 06:06 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #5779
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Ok Carl Johnson is right. Growth is unlimited and real estate never drops. Can't afford it? Just borrow more! It's not like anything happened 9 years ago that we should remember.
Also I just learned that the Vancouver real estate market has been running the way it should for several hundered years. It's so strong that it predates the cities existence!
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #5780
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
why do you care others will overstretch their budget? i don't understand your mentality. if i go to the grocery store and buy a $10 ice cream when there is $5 alternative do you get worried as well?

the market is working the way it is supposed to; and it has been working for the past few hundred years. please worry less and more enjoyment of the gain you will soon realize.
If you don't live in GVR, your comment is valid to a certain extent.

Nevertheless, as a resident here, it scares me the thought that RE accounts for majority of our GDP and even with RE at red hot level our economy is still sluggish at best.

It's not the pricing that scares me. It's what happen when it stops. Think Alberta for example. It too relied on a single industry (natural resources) for most of its GDP. When oil tanked, it's in a recession with no end in sight.

Now if RE stops growing (not even tanking, just stop growing), it would mean the start of a recession which would only end until it recovers or some other major industry takes over RE's contribution to the GDP. And that will affect my life even though I'm not the one losing money. It would mean less job opportunities, less vibrant commercial scene (think less new shops/restaurants would be opening, with a few that I enjoy closing)... and more.

A recession is never a good thing whether or not you are financially attached to it. It affects every resident in the area.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #5781

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Why worry if people are over stretched? Give me a break. For someone who is so adiment on the RE industry, I think you forgot these mortgages are loans that have to be paid.

Keep pumping up that balloon Carl. This has probably been discussed before, but how invested are you in the industry that you fail to have any reality on the situation. I'm not seeing much level headed thinking.
nice try. i have zero connection with the RE industry nor am i massively invested in real estate except having my own place that i can call home. i don't worry about things i cannot control and where real estate is headed is definitely one of them.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #5782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
If you don't live in GVR, your comment is valid to a certain extent.

Nevertheless, as a resident here, it scares me the thought that RE accounts for majority of our GDP and even with RE at red hot level our economy is still sluggish at best.

It's not the pricing that scares me. It's what happen when it stops. Think Alberta for example. It too relied on a single industry (natural resources) for most of its GDP. When oil tanked, it's in a recession with no end in sight.

Now if RE stops growing (not even tanking, just stop growing), it would mean the start of a recession which would only end until it recovers or some other major industry takes over RE's contribution to the GDP. And that will affect my life even though I'm not the one losing money. It would mean less job opportunities, less vibrant commercial scene (think less new shops/restaurants would be opening, with a few that I enjoy closing)... and more.

A recession is never a good thing whether or not you are financially attached to it. It affects every resident in the area.
people have been talking down B.C. for years, yet it is the best province to be in Canada: socially, economically and geographically.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #5783
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
nice try. i have zero connection with the RE industry nor am i massively invested in real estate except having my own place that i can call home. i don't worry about things i cannot control and where real estate is headed is definitely one of them.
I never said you were, I just assumed you were since your so out of touch. In fact, your smarter then you act. Putting the risk on others. Buy, buy away!

You should act on your words. Buy everything up that you can. The real estate industry is only going to get stronger. You should reap the benifits now before you can't afford too!
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #5784
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Once you've lived by the train for a while you never hear it anyways
Your newborn baby will certainly hear that early AM blast and wake up though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #5785
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Guys calm down. People are going to do what they do regardless. I doubt anyone reads this thread and changes their mind on the biggest purchase decision of their life.

We're always going to need both sides to get a better view.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it going to go up more? Sure. Do I see a big correction coming. Yes.
Did I still buy? Yes.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #5786

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I never said you were, I just assumed you were since your so out of touch. In fact, you are smarter than you act. Putting the risk on others. Buy, buy away!

You should act on your words. Buy everything up that you can. The real estate industry is only going to get stronger. You should reap the benifits now before you can't afford too!
couldn't let it slip. grammar police on patrol.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #5787
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Ironic coming from a guy who can't even capitalize his sentences.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #5788
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
you mis-spelled it,that voids all internet credits cause i are two dumb 2 undur stand it. #imbetterthanyou.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #5789
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
There aren't many rowhomes with tandem garages in Burnaby. Most townhomes in Burnaby are stacked. There is one new development, Saville Row, on Canada Way that offers rowhomes but they are now in the 750K range. Throw in GST and you're about the same, with a long ways away before occupancy (2018). Most of the other rowhomes are concentrated near SFU (built in the 80s) or there are small pockets in the Royal Oak area. It's insane, but I can see the logic if the buyers were desperate and did not want to go across the river.
Was out with the wife in the area so we decided to stop into the show home.
Of the 161 units, only 12 units are unsold. And of those 12, 10 have yet to be released. Those 10 units are well into the $900K+ range.

Crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #5790
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Hong Kong’s housing sales hit a 25-year low in February. The March figure, which came in early this month, doesn’t look good either. The 2,369 residential homes that sold in March represent a 45% drop from a year ago, according to data from the government’s land registry.
Interesting article on the HK real estate market...

Charted: Hong Kong?s housing market suddenly has echoes of the SARS era ? Quartz
recover-anytime-soon-charted/
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #5791
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Been lurking for a while now. Perhaps I can offer my perspective.

To me, a home (primary residence) is NOT about making money. It's to simply "lock in" to a price reference point.

Last edited by Special K; 04-18-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2016, 12:11 AM   #5792
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Been lurking for a while now. Perhaps I can offer my perspective.

To me, a home (primary residence) is NOT about making money. It's to simply "lock in" to a price reference point.
which is 100% valid, but unless you're paying with cash, you are also locking in a massive mortgage at today's rates (5 year rates).

you may be able to afford them today, but if rates go up, your monthly income may fall short. it is the debt part that worries me more than the asset part.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #5793
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
people have been talking down B.C. for years, yet it is the best province to be in Canada: socially, economically and geographically.
Damn, looks like all those Best City in the World (TM) and Vancouver is the next Silicon Valley articles from VancityBuzz finally got someone.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #5794

I feel no shame to be proud of my city and this province.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #5795
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Sounds more like delusion than pride.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #5796
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Was out with the wife in the area so we decided to stop into the show home.
Of the 161 units, only 12 units are unsold. And of those 12, 10 have yet to be released. Those 10 units are well into the $900K+ range.

Crazy.
hrm, I wasn't aware of a unreleased 10 units, did they say when? Phase 3 was all available for sale when it was released.
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #5797
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam0m0 View Post
hrm, I wasn't aware of a unreleased 10 units, did they say when? Phase 3 was all available for sale when it was released.
If you look at the map, the remaining 10 unreleased units is the row that will be built where the show home and access road is.
The end unit plan F (6-5228) is still for sale and one of the bachelor suites.
That end unit is $900K and the bachelor unit is $305K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #5798
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

oh yea I noticed that on the map, I was always wondering about those 2 buildings. Cool good to know
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #5799
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Just saw this E-Petition to the Government of Canada on Facebook regarding foreign ownership

https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Peti...Petition=e-281
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #5800
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Just saw this E-Petition to the Government of Canada on Facebook regarding foreign ownership

https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Peti...Petition=e-281
That's no true at all!

Rental units have also become unaffordable for families even with a household median income in Greater Vancouver of $74k.

The family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids ranging form 8months, 2 years old and 4 years old) who rents my parent's basement makes less then 45k a year is doing fine.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: