REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #5976
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol @ lining up for that garbage.

The area is already a fucking congested ghetto, our company is going to be adding to da ghetto building 100 townhouses right around there starting later in the summer.

That whole 208th corridor is so fucked, such terrible city planning around there. Camp out to buy a unit and rent it to the next crack head available.

agreed.
the whole area is a mess of multiple developments with zero infrastructure to support them. 208th can be backed up for blocks at every light at peak times. I knew the area was messed when I beat my wife in traffic. I was on my mtn bike, she was driving her car.

Btw, I found an article to accompany the pic.
Camping out to buy a condo - Langley Times

Quote:

Camping out to buy a condo

The red hot real estate market that has been breaking records all over Metro Vancouver has officially landed in Langley.

A real estate frenzy is taking place in Willoughby, with eager condo buyers camping overnight — or paying students to camp on their behalf — for the chance to buy a unit in the final phase of Yorkson Creek, at 208 Street and 82 Avenue.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Bev from Langley had been in line for three days, holding her spot outside the presentation centre, which has several tents on the lawn set up by the developer for other campers, bundled in sleeping bags on chairs.

“It’s crazy, it’s outrageous the degree we will go to, but I’m into it this long,” said Bev.

“The craziest part is they haven’t told us yet when we can purchase or even at what pricing, so we really don’t know anything or how long we will camp here.”

She, like so many, were enticed by the brochures Quadra Homes sent out through the mail to thousands of residents across Metro Vancouver and into West and North Vancouver.

“These condos are much bigger and the solariums allow for outdoor living during the winter,” she said.

Like many around her, Bev hired a student and paid them $10 an hour to sleep overnight to hold her spot.

“Once you leave your place in line, you are off the wait list,” a man waiting in line said.

Students from Walnut Grove Secondary, Mountain and others are cashing in on the easy job. Quadra Homes keeps the presentation centre open for them to use the washroom, supplies coffee and water and also provides dinners for the campers each night.

Yorkson Creek sales manager/realtor Amy Ellis said this isn’t the first time people have camped out to be part of the Yorkson Creek Park development which is in its final phase.

But given the buzz and growing number of campers this time, they are scrambling as best they can to release the condos faster.

“We don’t have the exact locations or the pricing structure yet. We didn’t expect to be ready until the middle of the May so now we are scrambling to release them sooner, so people don’t have to camp so long,” she said.

Ellis said it started Sunday at 6 a.m. when one man decided he wasn’t going to wait on the online VIP list, he was going to come to the presentation and camp out in person.

Many followed after that.

Ellis said what sets the luxury condos apart is there are no one bedroom units, they are all two to three bedroom with the largest unit being 1,600 square feet with a 200 square-foot solarium.

As many as 1,500 people registered, sight unseen, on the VIP list — many from North Vancouver and Vancouver she said.

“In North Van, $700,000 would get you a rat’s nest. This is good prices for a lot of space,” she said.

But a lot of the people The Times spoke to in line are residents of Langley who have sold their acreage or larger home and are downsizing.

A price tag of $450,000 or $500,000 for a three-bedroom condo is good value, given equity they have.

One Langley man waiting in line already has a condo in the earlier phase of this project. He can sell his for $40,000 more than he paid for it last year.

Students from Trinity Western University were studying while camping out, others from high school were playing cards and relaxing.

“We have runners who will go and pick up dinner. The developer hands out gift cards for food to the campers,” said Ellis. On Wednesday afternoon, they were passing out doughnuts.

There are 128 units up for grabs in the two five-storey buildings.

Elsewhere in Langley, single family homes with million dollar price tags are being snapped up — many going over the asking price in bidding wars.

Good luck getting into any of the schools there. Yorkson is full, Fripps is full, Bullpit is full, and Mountain is an old building with about a dozen portables already. Like I said, no infrasctucture. But at least the Giants are coming.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
lots of people are going to suffer life destroying consequences with the financial decisions they are making to get in to the market.
People arent making any more than they were ten years ago. At least when RE follows inflation, there is some equality. But with foreign money buying everything up, it throws everything off.

A friend just sold his house in Surrey.
It assessed for $1.2m
He listed for $1.35m
He received 7 offers on the house, and sold for $1.6m

Of those seven offers, five were from chinese buyers, ALL CASH DEALS.

dafuq is that about?
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #5977
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Ugh when anything in my budget is the kind of shit you have to camp out to get I'm pretty much accepting I'll always be renting, or living cheque to cheque to live in a place I have no business trying to afford.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #5978
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I knew the area was messed when I beat my wife in traffic.
Good god man, hasn't that woman gone through enough? I know traffic sucks, but did you really have to take it out on her?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #5979
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGTBAR View Post
Can we turn this back into a real estate thread?

Is the market shifting? Some places I've seen in the past week or two have been sold in coquitlam and new west lately for either list price or 10-15k below ask with subjects. A month ago, these places would have sold with no subjects, cash offers and over ask.

Is everyone else seeing the same thing?
Too many variables to tell if the market is slowing down. Gut tells me not yet.

Looking at Vancovuer, I see 5188 Main street, half duplex sell for $1.22M, which is well above asking, and sold in 2 days.
744 24th ave, sold for $962K, but is a 104 year old close to tear down house and sold in 5 days.
All sold with in the past month.
Same for Burnaby, for the cheaper houses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #5980
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Good god man, hasn't that woman gone through enough? I know traffic sucks, but did you really have to take it out on her?

Thats it, time for me to sign off, you win the internet for today.
+1, would laugh again.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #5981
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I understand the issue people have with shadow flipping, but at the same time, this article makes it sound like the people who sold too cheap have sellers remorse after the fact because a few months later, it was able to sell for more money.
Lawsuit alleges 60 property owners in Richmond fell victim to shadow-flipping scam

This was also posted today, but take it with a grain of salt about the market.
Vancouver home sales hit record for April | Globalnews.ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #5982
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

only 30% down required, and 70% on canadian bank loan still works for us non-residents. thank you canadian chartered banks.

Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-04-2016, 02:47 AM   #5983
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Vancouver Real Estate market is fully variety of Homes.... With the addition of Vancouver the housing agency highlighted ...Can u provide more info about it.
kyle walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 AM   #5984
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Here's an interesting article on the middle class, keep in mind it's a written by an American about Americans but I think it's relevant here as well.

To long to quote, link below.

Many Middle-Class Americans Are Living Paycheck to Paycheck - The Atlantic

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #5985
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
only 30% down required, and 70% on canadian bank loan still works for us non-residents. thank you canadian chartered banks.

I can't believe you put your mom's account info on rs.
I quoted this for posterity, mainly so the next African scammer who comes in here knows who to hit first. Srsly, you're such an idiot.

Gululu is the new Hyde.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #5986
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
the municipality wants a dialogue on empty homes

We want your opinion on actions to address empty homes | City of Vancouver
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #5987

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Quote:
I can't believe you put your mom's account info on rs.
I quoted this for posterity, mainly so the next African scammer who comes in here knows who to hit first. Srsly, you're such an idiot.

Gululu is the new Hyde.

I also can't believe the bank actually printed out the full account number on the receipt.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #5988
God of Unce

Old 05-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #5989
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

I also can't believe the bank actually printed out the full account number on the receipt.
A very Indian sounding "Bob Smith" called me from CRA the other day and asked for my account info for tax purposes.

Now I have an account number to give him!

This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #5990
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Sold our home in Vancouver for 1.3m last year.

The house was aging and coming on 40 years. Located on big corner lot and the home itself was 3100 sqft. However, it needed work now - foundation, repairs, reno, and maintenance.

Bought a 2 bedroom condo in Vancouver (3 years old) fully paid no mortgage at 500k. The rest of the funds are in low volatile investments.

I am hoping the bubble bursts so we can buy a home again. Looking to buy 2200-2800 sqft home less than 8 years old preferably in Vancouver! If the bubble does burst I won't take such a huge hit on the condo as I would on a home per se.

I am looking to capitalize on everyone who is taking advantage of the low interest rates and financing the living heck out of their homes cause when the bubble bursts and the interest rates inflate, many will no longer be able to afford their mortages.. that's when I come in

Last edited by Porsche957; 05-04-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Porsche957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #5991
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I hope you drive a Porsche. People who drives Porsche's in my mind are god's. God's are the only ones who know the future. I'm banking on the same thing. hahah
Old 05-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #5992
UFO

^ many have done the same for the past year, 2 years., only to be priced out now. I'm sure a correction will come at some point, who knows how far away, and how big. Are the unknowns there and the sacrifice youre making in the near term worth the risk of the potential return? For some sure, for many probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGTBAR View Post
Can we turn this back into a real estate thread?

Is the market shifting? Some places I've seen in the past week or two have been sold in coquitlam and new west lately for either list price or 10-15k below ask with subjects. A month ago, these places would have sold with no subjects, cash offers and over ask.

Is everyone else seeing the same thing?
Pretty typical to see in in mid-late spring, as inventory and selection goes up as more people list once the weather turns nicer. We found Sept-Feb quite feverish for desireable properties because there simply isn't much choice or selection during those months being slower months traditionally.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #5993

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
A very Indian sounding "Bob Smith" called me from CRA the other day and asked for my account info for tax purposes.

Now I have an account number to give him!

LOL, I think the same guy left a message on my machine. I forgot to call him back but he sounded very serious and had warned me of the terrible consequences I would have if did not return his call.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #5994
God of Unce

In the midst of renting a condo vs. saving up for a downpayment.

Fuck.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #5995
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche957 View Post

The house was aging and coming on 40 years. Located on big corner lot and the home itself was 3100 sqft. However, it needed work now - foundation, repairs, reno, and maintenance.

Bought a 2 bedroom condo in Vancouver (3 years old) fully paid no mortgage at 500k. The rest of the funds are in low volatile investments.

I am hoping the bubble bursts so we can buy a home again. Looking to buy 2200-2800 sqft home less than 8 years old preferably! If the bubble does burst I won't take such a huge hit on the condo as I would on a home per se.

I am looking to capitalize on everyone who is taking advantage of the low interest rates and financing the living heck out of their homes cause when the bubble bursts and the interest rates inflate, many will no longer be able to afford their mortages.. that's when I come in
Kinda in the same position but still holding RE, both in investment properties and my own home.

If prices keep increasing however, unless the correction is 30%+ I won't be getting back into Vancouver
Old 05-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #5996
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
My personal opinion is owning a house in metro Vancouver will still be out of reach for majority of people even if there is a correction in the market.

First thing is the amount of supply (old homes) vs demand is getting smaller by the day and the other big question is when does this "correction" come? If older homes start nearing $2m even with a 30% correction you're still looking at 1.7m for an average home which will still be unaffordable.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #5997
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
You mean 1.4m
Old 05-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #5998
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I hope you drive a Porsche. People who drives Porsche's in my mind are god's. God's are the only ones who know the future. I'm banking on the same thing. hahah
Haha! I do - Cayenne S ... GF deferred me away from the 911 but I'll get it one day! (Crap, sorry off topic lol)

Last edited by Porsche957; 05-04-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Porsche957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #5999
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
You mean 1.4m
Sign me up for 2 pls lol
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #6000
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche957 View Post

I am hoping the bubble bursts so we can buy a home again. Looking to buy 2200-2800 sqft home less than 8 years old preferably in Vancouver! If the bubble does burst I won't take such a huge hit on the condo as I would on a home per se.

Curious about this. Sold for 1.3m a year ago, have you checked what the current market value is for the same/similar house? My mom bought a house 6 months ago and she would require a 15-20% correction to buy back in for what she originally paid for. I wouldnt be surprised if you already require a 25-30% correction from todays market value to buy back in for 1.3m.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote