REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #7151
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
^ people are still in the BUBBLE of "OH, let's put it over 20% above city assessment and then tack on another 10% above market value, and add 5% more."

I know two veteran realtor (medallion club multiple yrs etc); they say it's their worse yr ever cause they don't speak a foreign language and they don't have connections to that market of crazy buyers (asians).
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #7152
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
Should I continue to waste my time in Vancouver or Canada for that matter? That is the thought that goes through my head nowadays whenever I have time to reflect upon myself. Winds have changed. Chinese are used as pawns by politicians, and we are played by developers and the media. Currently, as I sift through Vancouver streets, I start to feel an ever strengthening Anti-Chinese sentiments from my daily encounters with the mainstream and other ethnics in Vancouver and its suburbs from various age groups. It's really starting to get to me. I feel this is the modern day exclusion act against Chinese really taking place now.

Does anyone else feel this way also? The way those blond haired blue eyed Caucasian look at us as if we are animals and sub-par humans. They will give us hard time wherever we go to. From retail clerks to restaurateurs to mortgage consultant, whenever they see us, they will always give us bad service. Why? Because deep down, they hate us, and I can feel it from their body language and poor attitude. Side by side, an Asian and a White walks in, I guarantee the white worker will 100% favour the White customer. While treating us Chinese as cash cows and pawns.

I'm really thinking of revoking my status in canada and go back home
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #7153
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Should I continue to waste my time in Vancouver or Canada for that matter? That is the thought that goes through my head nowadays whenever I have time to reflect upon myself. Winds have changed. Chinese are used as pawns by politicians, and we are played by developers and the media. Currently, as I sift through Vancouver streets, I start to feel an ever strengthening Anti-Chinese sentiments from my daily encounters with the mainstream and other ethnics in Vancouver and its suburbs from various age groups. It's really starting to get to me. I feel this is the modern day exclusion act against Chinese really taking place now.

Does anyone else feel this way also? The way those blond haired blue eyed Caucasian look at us as if we are animals and sub-par humans. They will give us hard time wherever we go to. From retail clerks to restaurateurs to mortgage consultant, whenever they see us, they will always give us bad service. Why? Because deep down, they hate us, and I can feel it from their body language and poor attitude. Side by side, an Asian and a White walks in, I guarantee the white worker will 100% favour the White customer. While treating us Chinese as cash cows and pawns.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #7154
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:

Under your logo; Location: Shaughnessy. I bet you're really having a tough time.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #7155
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Vested interests will prevent cleanup of British Columbia?s housing mess - The Globe and Mail
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2016, 05:12 AM   #7156
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

Do you need a ride to the airport?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #7157
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
^ people are still in the BUBBLE of "OH, let's put it over 20% above city assessment and then tack on another 10% above market value, and add 5% more."

I know two veteran realtor (medallion club multiple yrs etc); they say it's their worse yr ever cause they don't speak a foreign language and they don't have connections to that market of crazy buyers (asians).
Yeah I guess if you don't speak Chinese or have connections, you're kind of out of luck as a realtor.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #7158
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
From a young child I assumed I'd be a renter for ever
I'm intrigued as to why you thought this as a young child.
Assuming 20 years ago, houses were still really cheap.
I remember 15 years ago, the house that I was renting the basement from, was listed for sale for $400K and it was a fairly new house in east Van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #7159

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I remember 15 years ago, the house that I was renting the basement from, was listed for sale for $400K and it was a fairly new house in east Van.
This is my speculation but...

If you were born in a poor family, and all your friends and relatives were renters, it is sometimes hard to think that you will some day own a house.
Just like if nobody in your relatives have a Lamborghini and private jet, you probably won't even think about owning one in the future.

Although poverty rate has been better in recent years, it will always exist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_Canada

Poverty Rate in Canada

Low Income Rate in Canada
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2016, 11:59 PM   #7160

Vancouver mayor against proposed housing tax targeting non-residents
FRANCES BULA
VANCOUVER — Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Jul. 21, 2016 9:50PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Jul. 21, 2016 9:50PM EDT

Vancouver mayor against proposed housing tax targeting non-residents - The Globe and Mail

Gregor Robertson speaks during a press conference in Vancouver on June 22, 2016.
(John Lehmann/The Globe and Mail)

A new housing tax proposed this week by West Vancouver’s mayor that targets non-residents would be “discrimination,” says Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson.

Mr. Robertson said he doesn’t support a property tax that’s applied based on nationality when the real problem involves how housing is being used.

He also said he prefers the vacancy tax that Vancouver is planning to implement, which will be strictly aimed at people leaving properties empty because they’re holding them as an investment. But, he said, all mayors in the region really want the same thing: to ensure that housing is well used and to limit the flow of speculative global capital.

“Our focus needs to be on regulating the capital and on people holding properties that are empty for business purposes,” he said.

Mr. Robertson said no one tax or city policy is going to bring about the change needed to ensure the region’s housing is not caught up in a speculative bubble.

The issue of some form of taxation on certain property owners has been a hot topic after the mayor asked the B.C. government for the power to impose a vacancy tax, a speculation tax and a luxury tax in the face of rapidly escalating housing prices, which jumped by 30 per cent in the region in a single year. At the same time, the public conversation has been flooded with stories about vacant properties and speculators flipping houses.

The province plans to clear the way for Vancouver’s vacancy tax during a special session of the legislature next week, and B.C. Finance Minister Mike de Jong has signalled he is open to the possibility of allowing similar taxes in other communities.

Since then, West Vancouver Mayor Michael Smith has said he thinks that kind of tax would be difficult to enforce. Instead, he’s asking the province for a non-resident tax that would be applied to anyone not using their house as a principal residence. It would apply to Canadian citizens owning homes as vacation properties or as investments, as well as to any non-citizens owning property. Mayors from North Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam and Surrey have come out in support of that approach.

But Mr. Robertson said a vacancy tax won’t be as complicated as critics think, as long as the province gives the city access to the data it needs. City and provincial staff teams are negotiating now over what kind of data the city will be able to access.

The mayor said it would likely include information on who gets homeowner grants, what rental income is declared on the income-tax forms of property owners, drivers’ licence information and possibly electricity-use information. That would help pinpoint a potentially vacant house.

For example, if a homeowner was not collecting the homeowner grant, or showing any indication of rental income, that would put a house on the list of possibilities to be checked. That won’t work with homes worth more than $1.1-million, because the owners aren’t eligible for the homeowner grant, so other data sets would have to be used.

“The final step on verification and enforcement is still to be determined,” Mr. Robertson said, adding that he’s confident the province will work with the city, because otherwise the tax would be unworkable.

“It would be difficult without access to the province’s data,” he said.

The city had hoped that the government would empower the B.C. Assessment Authority, which calculates the value of all properties in the province, to create a “residential-vacant” category and use provincial information to determine what was likely vacant.

The government declined to do that, saying it would leave it up to the city to create and enforce a new vacant-home tax once new legislation provides that power.

Mr. Robertson said the speculation and luxury taxes are still needed, along with vigorous Canada Revenue Agency action, to catch people trying to flip houses, while avoiding taxes on their profits by claiming they are principal residences.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #7161
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
^

I'm not taking sides, but as many have said already, it's too easy to circumvent the "non-resident" requirement.

Either way, back to the market thing... I think the market is definitely slowing down comparing to earlier of the year.

My family member made an offer on a small unit in Yaletown that I thought was fair everything considered. Seller's realtor laughed at the "lowball" offer and owner rejected it. Only for them to call back a month and half later to see if his offer was still standing and they'd take that offer.

Now I just advise my cousin to truly lowball them as there are so many choices out there right now that fit both his budget and IMO better options. Last thing we heard was the seller fired the original realtor as she was acting against their best interest.

We are in a stage of the market that it's back to a more balanced market and if you are looking to sell, don't expect multiple competing offers, but rather look at the true number that you want and you should take the deal as soon as it hits. Of course if you could afford to wait... do that and see if anything changes.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #7162

Video: Carrick talks money: Is home ownership a dying dream for millennials? - The Globe and Mail
Old 07-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #7163

Video: Carrick Talks Money: Comparing today's housing affordability to the high-rate days of the 80s - The Globe and Mail
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #7164
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Haha Gregor Robertson. Let's invent a tax scheme which will create a few more pointless government desk jobs all the while appearing to be "doing something" about the situation. What a win win situation for him because fuck those racist Aussies looking out for their own people.

Guess it's hard to be a change agent when the broad he sleeps with got him by the balls. Dude probably wish people would just leave him alone so he can lego some bike lanes.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #7165
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Timpo was 100% right. My parents were not home owners. None of my family was. And now finally in my mid 20's my gf and I bring in about ~110k gross. But with no downpayment and the housing market to continue infating at a stupid rate, I still think ill be a renter for ever. I can't afford to rent and high prices AND save enough (fast enough) at the same time

Last edited by 320icar; 07-24-2016 at 09:10 PM.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2016, 01:24 AM   #7166
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

curbing capital flows is like peeing against the wind

Last edited by m4k4v4li; 08-12-2016 at 03:54 AM.
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:33 AM   #7167
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Oh boy, you guys are definitely going to want to read this. It's a really long piece, but it seems to be really well informed and fact checked.

Mysterious wheeler-dealer at centre of a web of B.C. real estate deals | The Province
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2016, 04:34 AM   #7168

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Oh boy, you guys are definitely going to want to read this. It's a really long piece, but it seems to be really well informed and fact checked.

Mysterious wheeler-dealer at centre of a web of B.C. real estate deals | The Province
this market will not end well - eventually the government will have to act (if they don't, the people will via their vote).

this guy has been doing some really good investigatory journalism for a while now. makes a difference from the regular drivle in the local papers.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #7169
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
this market will not end well - eventually the government will have to act (if they don't, the people will via their vote).

this guy has been doing some really good investigatory journalism for a while now. makes a difference from the regular drivle in the local papers.
him, ian young, and kathy tomlinson are doing some great investigative work

they do some eye opening but fact checked stuff...

support them if you can and buy the papers they write for - they're a dying breed
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #7170
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

Says the man who has been preaching doom and imminent collapse for Vancouver real estate for who knows how long now. You, like Garth Turner, are just too predictable.

The funny thing about you is that you are actually supposed to be a "investment" guru. I am wondering how come you have never heard of one of the most basic tenets of investing: a bull market always rides on the back of cynicism.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #7171

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
BREAKING NEWS: BC brings in 15% property tax for foreign buyers
The new tax will take effect on August 2nd and will apply to foreign nationals or foreign-controlled corporations that buy homes in BC. This would mean a $300,000 tax on a home worth $2 million.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/07/25/m...c-legislature/

Last edited by EmperorIS; 07-25-2016 at 09:49 AM.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #7172
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
BREAKING NEWS: BC brings in 15% property tax for foreign buyers
The new tax will take effect on August 2nd and will apply to foreign nationals or foreign-controlled corporations that buy homes in BC. This would mean a $300,000 tax on a home worth $2 million.

It's about bloody time Crusty and her Liberals did something to make housing more affordable.

Does Crusty's chances of getting re-elected as Premier in the May election next year improve after the introduction of this tax?
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #7173
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
will that slow anything down? our dollar is weak compared to USD and will whatever tax they will impose really going to matter to millionaires or corrupt/dirty money you want to launder? i recall hearing to launder money you only get 50% back. throw it in real estate with a tax seems like you're still coming out on top.

at least more tax $ for gov't to spend on bike lanes i guess

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #7174
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Its a bittersweet feeling, the damage has been done already for us (20's to 30's) but hopefully this can help the next generation a bit. Too little too late
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #7175
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

More gov't money for Teachers and Nurses.
Just another fee for the wealthy foreign buyer.
Poor locals can't complain gov't is not doing anything.

adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: