REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #7301
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
How so? You are telling me that a 50-100k increase overnight of your property purchase would just make no difference?
Not every foreign buyer has unlimited money.
If the property is just sitting empty I don't see the difference

I highly doubt the majority of them are all simply speculating on the pre-sales, it's either going to be a hotel type, use once to 4 times a year property, or it's a place to park money in an empty unit.

150k on a million dollar condo is a breaking point? Really?

Even for your average person to get that extra 150k doesn't really add THAT much into your mortgage.

Imo it's more fear mongering and the actual amount of people pulling their deals is probably minuscule
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 PM   #7302

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Don't live in New West but my two cents.

You got 3 railroads, CPR, CN, SRY Lines. They run 24/7, keep that in mind. I was recently in Translink's New-west office and I don't know how those employees can stand all that train horn. You must go crazy.

I wouldn't buy a condo near those tracks.....especially when it's a summer night and you got a train blowing it's horn through a crossing, and the sheer noise vibrates through the air.

Go to a showing, ask the realtor - though, they'd probably be lying through their teeth.
Growing up with my grandparents house backing onto the CN yard at 176th, I can honestly say trains are somthing you become accustomed to over time
Old 07-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #7303
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If the property is just sitting empty I don't see the difference

I highly doubt the majority of them are all simply speculating on the pre-sales, it's either going to be a hotel type, use once to 4 times a year property, or it's a place to park money in an empty unit.

150k on a million dollar condo is a breaking point? Really?

Even for your average person to get that extra 150k doesn't really add THAT much into your mortgage.

Imo it's more fear mongering and the actual amount of people pulling their deals is probably minuscule
They said the same thing about the amount of foreigners' capital buying Vancouver real estate.

A bubble is a bubble at the end of the day. I said a while back I would careless if my home price drop by 50% (doubt it will be this far) and I stand by my statement. Love to see a big correction so my fellow Canadians can get into the city they were born in and not some foreigners who are using this city as a place of convenience.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 05:44 AM   #7304
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
If I've learned anything from this thread it's that China has endless money, and any amount of tax won't matter they'll just pay it because they can and prices will continue to rise. Buy Buy Buy !!!
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #7305

it will be interesting to see what happens..

Anyone think that the 15% could be just the "price of doing business" cost now and not really effect anything too much?

I'd be very interested to see the actual demographics of foreign buyers and their relative net worth..
Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #7306
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,820 Times in 2,505 Posts
i'm with you honda...15%... rich chinese will be like i've greased chinese officials' palms way more than that...probably thinking cdn gov officials are newbs

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #7307

It'll be interesting to see how much of an impact it has. The weird thing with a lot rich people is they seem to absolutely loathe parting with any extra money in the way of taxes or anything really, even if the amount is insignificant to their overall wealth.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #7308
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
in the last few days, did other political parties say how they will be addressing housing affordability?

i also thought this was a Libs publicity stunt at first but the last interview saying no exceptions for pre-sales and they'll be auditing loopholes (gl with the audit....i'd imagine that's very difficult) make it sound like they are serious....15% might seem insignificant but it's a start...another news article posted early say they can bump it up to 20% anytime. Ideally I'd like to see 30%
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #7309

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
in the last few days, did other political parties say how they will be addressing housing affordability?

i also thought this was a Libs publicity stunt at first but the last interview saying no exceptions for pre-sales and they'll be auditing loopholes (gonna be very difficult) make it sound like they are serious....15% might seem insignificant but it's a start...another news article posted early say they can bump it up to 20% anytime.
From the Vancouver Sun article.

"NDP housing critic David Eby said the NDP will propose amendments to the housing legislation to require that the tax be paid by anyone who does not pay taxes on their worldwide income in British Columbia. Rather than being based on citizenship, this would capture any purchaser who does not file their taxes in B.C."
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #7310
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
The people that are losers in this are those who sold to a foreign buyer and have a firm contract on another home.

Some pain had to be felt sooner or later. It sucks for these people, but I don't think the Liberals had a choice from a political or policy perspective.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #7311

In my opinion the tax should go up 5% every month until the faces of the rich goes from to
Old 07-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #7312
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
and I thought others in this thread saying gov't intervention at this scale can only be imposed on a federal level, not provincial. This escalated quickly.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #7313
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
it will be interesting to see what happens..

Anyone think that the 15% could be just the "price of doing business" cost now and not really effect anything too much?

I'd be very interested to see the actual demographics of foreign buyers and their relative net worth..
Rich people might not care, but there's tons of people around them that feed off their scraps.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #7314

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
and I thought others in this thread saying gov't intervention at this scale can only be imposed on a federal level, not provincial. This escalated quickly.
The province has taxation powers, but they could deny the existence of foreign ownership because they didn't have the data. Now, they have the data and it would have been pretty hard to continue with the status quo with a straight face.

The federal government controls immigration, though some provinces have more powers to let in immigrants than others, like Quebec. And under the Charter once you have PR, you can move, work, and invest anywhere you want in Canada.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #7315

At the end of the day, the Liberals have to find a way that actually works for slowing down the cost of housing. Come election time if foreign buyers are still driving up prices voters aren't going to say "well at least you tried Libs, here's my vote!", They are going to vote for the party that's saying "we're going to take this even further until it's sorted out".

The cost of housing is pretty much the biggest election issue there is, the NDP is going to push hard on this topic and the Liberals know drastic measures had to be taken.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #7316
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Seems like 15% was the perfect amount for them to settle on cause it probably won't actually deter any foreign buyer that's already loaded and it gives the government another source of tax money. A win-win for them, cash grab and still have people buying.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #7317

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
Seems like 15% was the perfect amount for them to settle on cause it probably won't actually deter any foreign buyer that's already loaded and it gives the government another source of tax money. A win-win for them, cash grab and still have people buying.
That was my initial thoughts as well, but with the election coming up I think they're playing the long game with this one. Unless their plan is to be voted out next May I'd expect something else to follow if this 15% tax doesn't do dick all.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #7318
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I predict the market will slow down more than it has in the last 2 months and possibly take a 5-10% dip, over the next 8 months. Certainly nothing to worry about for anyone that bought before this year but not of much help to people trying to enter the market.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #7319

I think the most people should hope for is not for a drastic fall in prices, but a return to saner market conditions. For example, being able to spend several months searching for the right property and not having fear that prices will move over drastically those several months. Or, being able to make offers with subjects. Or fewer multiple offer situations which will allow for real negotiations between buyer and seller.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #7320
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Fear mongoring the last few days has been funny to watch. What a change in media articles. There was an issue before just no one wanted to admit it,
Or just riding the wave?

Last edited by hud 91gt; 07-28-2016 at 11:15 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #7321

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Fear mongoring the last few days has been funny to watch. What a change in media articles. There was an issue before just no one wanted to admit it,
Or just riding the wave?
I havnt noticed a change at all. The media has been a fan of fear mongering about the housing market here in Vancouver and Toronto for the last 6 months.

Its great for the media because this is a topic which everyone has a stake in: Everyone who owns something is paranoid about losing equity, and people who don't own anything are excited at the idea of seeing everything the people who do own something lose it all, and waiting to scoop up the remainder of these peoples shattered lives.

I'm just waiting for all this to settle down, so the next group of degenerate losers can come out of the winds, "Stocks have risen wayyy too quickly the last two years and I missed the boat. The government needs to intervene and drive down the price so that I can get into the market".

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #7322
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I'm just waiting for all this to settle down, so the next group of degenerate losers can come out of the winds, "Stocks have risen wayyy too quickly the last two years and I missed the boat. The government needs to intervene and drive down the price so that I can get into the market".
Thanked for this comment. It is SOOOOO true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #7323
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,768 Posts
It's kind of ironic, since the Liberal platform for years has been about promoting BC for foreign investment and business.

Now they're like "Whoa Whoa, we didn't actually mean THAT much"
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #7324

The average person doesn't give a fuck about stocks. A place to live however, whether it's buying or renting and how much it costs is something that affects everyone that lives here.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #7325
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Thanked for this comment. It is SOOOOO true.
Yeah because only entitled degenerate losers think a reasonably priced place to live is realistic right?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote