REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #7701
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
That's what I've assumed a bit, but I also think it's just been a "well this company charges this much so we can too" sort of spiral.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #7702
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
That's what I've assumed a bit, but I also think it's just been a "well this company charges this much so we can too" sort of spiral.
I think you just described housing increases here as well...
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #7703
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
So stoked I dodged that bullet and sold my condo in that shithole when I did. One of the craziest things there for the condo market is the condo fees. I wouldn't pay over 100k for a condo if my fees are going to be 600 a month. Put that in your mortgage and you can buy a fucking house there.
I recall a while back there was a report that found BC strata fees on average lowest vs the rest of Canada. Some fees in Toronto were double what they are here for comparables properties. The major difference being a lot of buildings' contingency funds are underfunded here, even the 'good' ones, vs. everywhere else. I think that was the gist of it anyways
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #7704

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Perhaps a bit off topic, condos in Alberta (Especially downtown Edmonton/Calgary) have been taking a shit kicking over the last few months, if the rate of depreciation continues I would say things are heading for a cliff of sorts.

From my perspective the financial agony of Alberta will last at least another 18 months, I expect some really nasty statistics to come out in the fall for employment and real estate.
Our Calgary office is working a 4 day work week because it's so slow. On the flip side in the lower mainland this is the busiest we've been since the Olympics, I'd actually say it's even busier then it was during that boom. I almost get calls daily of people begging me to price shit that's starting right away and I have to tell them no we're at capacity, i can't take your work because I can't man it or I'll put a price so high there is no way they'll accept it. I'm really only pricing things that start in 2017 or later because the rest of this year for us is a shit show.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #7705
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

My new condo has concierge service. I have a hard time justifying paying someone who sits sits there and say hello. Is it worth it?
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #7706

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
I think you just described housing increases here as well...
Yeah but you can't resell your condo fees.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:56 AM   #7707
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
My new condo has concierge service. I have a hard time justifying paying someone who sits sits there and say hello. Is it worth it?
It really depends from person to person. The conciergeS in my building are pretty good, but I'm not sure they're worth the entire amount we're paying. That said, every issue I've brought up with them has been resolved promptly. Maybe when that stops then I'll change my tune.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #7708
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Concierge is nice assuming they have a clearly defined list of things to do rather than sitting there all day, like patrolling (not so much for security, but for nuisance), receiving mails (never have to go post depot to pick up), and some of the building I've been to even let AirBnB guest in (if running AirBnB is allowed/in mind)... etc

It has 24hr concierge and they do a great job following strata bylaws. My friend never needs to be home to deal with things like delivery, service installation/check-up and more. For some, that level of comfort is worth the few extra bucks a month.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #7709
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Yeah but you can't resell your condo fees.
No, I meant that people are taking a sale price for a comparable and then increasing it by $100k the next week. I've seen it happen on my street.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #7710
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
https://www.zolo.ca/vancouver-real-estate/trends

So according to these "statistics", prices are coming down over what is typically the most expensive time of year to buy.

I have my doubts about data collection and analysis.. but hey... keep an eye on it I suppose.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #7711
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
open house we went to yesterday in east van on a slightly larger than normal Vancouver special lot, 2800 sq ft house, tastefully redone interior of a 80 year old house was listed at 1.8 with "tonnes of interest" according to the realtor

will see if it sells
Old 08-15-2016, 12:49 AM   #7712
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
This man has a job but no home.

Homeless man living in Topaz Park has a job, can't find a home
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #7713
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Our Calgary office is working a 4 day work week because it's so slow. On the flip side in the lower mainland this is the busiest we've been since the Olympics, I'd actually say it's even busier then it was during that boom. I almost get calls daily of people begging me to price shit that's starting right away and I have to tell them no we're at capacity, i can't take your work because I can't man it or I'll put a price so high there is no way they'll accept it. I'm really only pricing things that start in 2017 or later because the rest of this year for us is a shit show.
What industry do you work in may I ask?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #7714
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Goddard is a journeyman carpenter, who was laid off from his job in Fort McMurray two years ago

“I’ve got myself into a hole that’s pretty deep to get out of, it’s tough to get out of,” he said.

He finds work here when he can, but can’t find a place to live in Victoria.

That sounds to me is doesn't have a job now and doesn't seem he have hold a steady job for the past 2 years.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #7715
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
People in those types of situations get in over their heads so quick they don't know what to do then try and get compassion from some sob story.

Honestly if you're not a drug addict and willing to work, you might have to start back at square one if that's what it takes. And if that means moving back in with your parents when you're 40, renting a "room" in abotsford for a place to live, not having a car and taking transit etc. you may have to make every sacrifice you can to get back on your feet.

I know a few people I grew up with, have basically zero skills, don't work a full-time job, and have zero in terms of investments and savings yet post their Instagram selfies from kits renting an apartment with 4 other losers. If you want to get ahead you need to reevaluate your situation and make the proper adjustments. Instead of living in kits and hanging out on patios, you should probably be in some basement suite in cloverdale, staying in and building a financial buffer.

But what are ya gonna do, people turn 40 and realize they're fucked.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #7716
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
People in those types of situations get in over their heads so quick they don't know what to do then try and get compassion from some sob story.

Honestly if you're not a drug addict and willing to work, you might have to start back at square one if that's what it takes. And if that means moving back in with your parents when you're 40, renting a "room" in abotsford for a place to live, not having a car and taking transit etc. you may have to make every sacrifice you can to get back on your feet.

I know a few people I grew up with, have basically zero skills, don't work a full-time job, and have zero in terms of investments and savings yet post their Instagram selfies from kits renting an apartment with 4 other losers. If you want to get ahead you need to reevaluate your situation and make the proper adjustments. Instead of living in kits and hanging out on patios, you should probably be in some basement suite in cloverdale, staying in and building a financial buffer.

But what are ya gonna do, people turn 40 and realize they're fucked.
Don't need to turn 40. Some people in their 30's are already fucked
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #7717
I subscribe to Revscene

they're not fucked, they just have different values!

#livelaughlove #wanderlust
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #7718
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
goes back to OP of the thread...all about experiences!

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #7719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
What industry do you work in may I ask?
Mainly Commercial Construction, specifically Steel Stud, Drywall & Acoustic Ceilings. We mostly do Hospitals, Hotels, Schools, Airports, Police Stations, Malls and Residential/Office Towers and Structural Steel Panel Jobs that would includes erecting complete structures, joists and everything.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 08-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #7720
I don't get it

Quote:
Very true, especially at graveyard hours..
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #7721
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
How a 30-something couple got rich and retired by not joining home ownership 'cult' - Business - CBC News

Speaking of #wanderlust and #yolo, how about this couple? Sounds like a pretty typical 30-something CBC couple:

- good jobs out of school
- probably lived at home while in school and may have had tuition paid for by their parents
- parents pressured them to buy a house because that is the thing Chinese people do
- amassed 500K in cash (not hard to do if they were both making 6-figures and pretty typical for stay-at-home CBCs who didn't throw away their money on booze, expensive restaurants, and European cars.

Thoughts? If they plan to stay DINKs for life, they can probably get the travel out of their system system by age 45 and buy a small house outside of a major city to settle down and live off their investments and whatever consulting income they can generate.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #7722
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
I really don't think a million is a enough to retire on.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #7723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
How a 30-something couple got rich and retired by not joining home ownership 'cult' - Business - CBC News

Speaking of #wanderlust and #yolo, how about this couple? Sounds like a pretty typical 30-something CBC couple:

- good jobs out of school
- probably lived at home while in school and may have had tuition paid for by their parents
- parents pressured them to buy a house because that is the thing Chinese people do
- amassed 500K in cash (not hard to do if they were both making 6-figures and pretty typical for stay-at-home CBCs who didn't throw away their money on booze, expensive restaurants, and European cars.

Thoughts? If they plan to stay DINKs for life, they can probably get the travel out of their system system by age 45 and buy a small house outside of a major city to settle down and live off their investments and whatever consulting income they can generate.
It kind of reminds me of this thread on BCsportbikes which is a great read if you ever have some time even if you aren't into bikes. There 4 years into it, they've been around the world and some of the photo's are pretty good. It would make a hell of a coffee table book.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...me-gone-riding

This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #7724
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Not if you are blowing all that 1M. They are living off income from dividends payout which is a legit strategy that is nothing new. Backpack travelling doesn't cost a lot of money. Article shows you the power of mastering personal finance which not a lot of people willing to learn. They'd rather be slaved to the bank. On average, out of 50 people I talk to, maybe less than a handful have any kind of savings and decent investment.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #7725
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Cut out the things you don't need and replace them with things you want that don't cost you your health.

A friend of mine used to smoke a pack a day. He cut the habit and at the end of a year, he didn't lose $4500. Instead he used that money for travelling.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote