REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #7601
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
yes 100+ reviews and short term rental (low chance of squatting) sounds great.
is airBnB allowed in vancouver? i recall in the news it was getting shitted on due to the complaints of affordable housing and this adding to the problem.
Yes, although there are a number of buildings in DT and around the city which have strata bylaws which forbid short term rentals (anything under 30 days).

But if you own a detached home, or have a suite in your home, there is absolutely nothing that will stop airbnb.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
1.3 million is for the house, not the suite you are renting. That does look fairly nice though. I'd be happy living there.
Oops, good point, I looked at it quuickly, don't know why I thought it was the whole house.

Regardless it appears like vancouver and DT is the main area where rental prices have spiraled out of control, I see plenty of basement suites and stuff within North van and burnaby which seem reasonable. But if you look DT there is some 1000sqft places which want like 5-7k rent. That's a bit out of control. I can't remember it being that high even 2 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
It is not permitted under Vancouver b/c the bylaw states that only a hotel or Bread and Breakfast can do short term rentals which means rentals under 1 month.
I've never heard that before, so your saying the actual City bylaws prevent short term rentals?
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 08-08-2016 at 09:39 AM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #7602
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
^ How much of your current portfolio would you have to liquidate for your down payment? If it's not too much (< 50%), then I think buying the condo would be fine. If you can maintain your diversity, you'll be fine.

Downtown condos will always have their appeal - whether the rental market, AirBNB, or empty nesters/divorcees. As long as the unit is a good size and the building is well managed, it'll hold its value.

Ultimately, the financial aspect of the purchase makes sense, but it comes down to one of lifestyle. Do you see yourself in Vancouver for the long-term? Do you ever see yourself shacking up with someone and having kids? (Raising kids in a condo sucks, period.)
In absolute numbers I'd be liquidating about 40% of my investment portfolio plus a bit that's sitting in savings.

Long term, I see myself here in the foreseeable future probably at least another 5 years. I like the DINKs lifestyle as does the lady I'm shacked up with, but there are grumblings that our place is a bit too small/noisy (it's DT after all). No plans for a family though in the foreseeable future.

My argument's the same as yours. It'll hold value, there's always people wanting to live in DT Van. Good potential Cap rate if it's rented out. Just don't want to be stuck with the place if we need a house in the burbs in 5 years and need to liquidate (or for whatever reason).

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #7603

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
^ If you anticipate holding the property for at least 5 years, then I think buying the unit (provided you are buying it at a fair price) seems like a calculated risk.

If something happens after your first mortgage term which requires you to sell, you'll have sufficient equity to offset any short-term fluctuations in the market and any realtor fees you'll need to pay when it comes time to sell. You should be able to build 50K in equity after 5 years, depending on your amortization and interest rate. If you have more appetite for risk, go with 2-year fixed mortgages.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #7604
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Then someone who's parents bought them a new fr-s, paid for their ubc education, living expenses through school and gave them 100k down payment for their condo can read it and tell them how entitled they are for thinking they should be able to live in Vancouver.
I recently came across a middle-aged couple who sold their Yaletown penthouse suite to a Chinese buyer, who was purchasing the property for his son (who does have Canadian citizenship, so no need to pay the 15% tax). The son's 21st birthday is coming up, so in addition to the suite, he also received a fully loaded Range Rover as well. I guess he got the car, then remarked that he needed somewhere to park it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
playing devil's advocate here. could the high rates also be taking in to account any offset of risk of having shitty tenants that destroy/bug out on rent? a dispute with a shitty tenant and unpaid rent for even a few months is a huge hit to anyone. damage deposit is half a months rent, that won't pay for shit all if a unit is trashed and needs to be repaired.
Agreed - why would I post a lower rate compared to others in my area, and risk having a shitty tenant move in? I'd rather have someone who can afford the "market rate", which usually means they are respectable, educated, responsible, etc.

While I was looking for a tenant, I received lots of inquiries from desperate-sounding families. I felt bad turning them all away, but it just shows the sad state of affairs in our housing market.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #7605
linguistic ninja

Comparable units in our building have been sold in recent months at $480k and $485k. I'm thinking of going in at no more than $450k seeing as this is a private sale. I might even lowball at $440K seeing as how there's so much market uncertainty at the moment and even though it's a well run building, there are creeping issues arising due to it's age.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #7606

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Agreed - why would I post a lower rate compared to others in my area, and risk having a shitty tenant move in? I'd rather have someone who can afford the "market rate", which usually means they are respectable, educated, responsible, etc.

While I was looking for a tenant, I received lots of inquiries from desperate-sounding families. I felt bad turning them all away, but it just shows the sad state of affairs in our housing market.
The absolute best thing you can do is rent your place slightly lower then you have your pick of the renters.
1 vacant month will reverse a year of the extra 150 rent you charge. I always had my pick of renters in Edmonton and it made my life much less stressful. Ask my former landlord here and she'd tell you after 20 years of renting that it's a better way to do it. To think you get worse tenants by charging less completely goes against the basics of demand.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #7607

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
The absolute best thing you can do is rent your place slightly lower then you have your pick of the renters.
1 vacant month will reverse a year of the extra 150 rent you charge. I always had my pick of renters in Edmonton and it made my life much less stressful. Ask my former landlord here and she'd tell you after 20 years of renting that it's a better way to do it. To think you get worse tenants by charging less completely goes against the basics of demand.
Thanks for the tip - I charged the same rent as others in my area, and based on the pictures (maybe I'm biased, lol), I felt that my place was the most attractive. I received many inquiries!

But I understand where you're coming from - charge just a bit less (but not a HUGE amount less) so that you can have a bigger pool of potential tenants.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #7608
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Yes and no.

I tried renting my place at market value. It felt like I was selling a clean M3 in a city of juveniles. I furnished the unit, up the price 50% and I have lawyers, military personnel, and doctors as tenants and don't have to sort through the trash. Best move I've made.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #7609
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
This is why being a slumlord isn't as easy as most people think it is.
TBH, my in-laws did the lower rent approach and had many problem tenants. Mind you, it is also an indicator that their screening process was flawed as well.
When we were renting out our small studio unit, we had many shit prospects when we asked for below market value.
One prime example was the father of the girl that wanted to rent our unit. He complained the stove was too small and had no oven.
Is your daughter going to school or is she here to bake?
Worst part is our unit is 300 sq ft and our ad clearly said 2 burner mini kitchen and no oven.

It was when we raised our rental rate and rented it out furnished that we got better tenants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #7610
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
iirc i think either gridlock or dino suggested upping the rent a little higher than others in the area too for the above reason.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #7611
I help report spam so I got this! &lt;--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
You need to screen people carefully regardless of price. Anybody who can afford the "rule of thumb" rate income:rent = 4:1 will have the mean to treat your place ok. You don't want people who can barely afford the rental as they will not be able to treat your place nicely even if they want to.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #7612
God of Unce

Speaking of rentals...

Vancouver real estate: Poll finds many renters across Metro unhappy | Vancouver Sun
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #7613
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Yes, although there are a number of buildings in DT and around the city which have strata bylaws which forbid short term rentals (anything under 30 days).

But if you own a detached home, or have a suite in your home, there is absolutely nothing that will stop airbnb.

EDIT:

Oops, good point, I looked at it quuickly, don't know why I thought it was the whole house.

Regardless it appears like vancouver and DT is the main area where rental prices have spiraled out of control, I see plenty of basement suites and stuff within North van and burnaby which seem reasonable. But if you look DT there is some 1000sqft places which want like 5-7k rent. That's a bit out of control. I can't remember it being that high even 2 years ago.

I've never heard that before, so your saying the actual City bylaws prevent short term rentals?
Correct, but having a Bylaw and enforcing them is a completely different story. I don't know how much enforcement if any has actually been carried out yet to be honest.

The Bylaw falls under Licensing so it's 2 fold.

#1 - You're required in the City of Vancouver to get a Business Licence when operating a Business i.e. so renting out your basement requires one legally to get a Business Licence ( I know most don't but that's another story)

#2 - Under the Business Licence Bylaw, short-term rentals (less than 30 days) is not permitted unless you're operating a Hotel or Bed and Breakfast meaning as a Air Bnb you wouldn't be able to get a Licence therefore Air BnB's are not permitted.

Here's an info graphic or text if you prefer of the rules now in Vancouver.

http://vancouver.ca/doing-business/s...m-rentals.aspx

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"

Last edited by winson604; 08-08-2016 at 01:10 PM.
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #7614

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Considering the profit to be made by renting out apartments on AirBnB and VRBO in desirable locations, such as downtown Vancouver, fines whether they be from the city or a strata council are just seen as a cost of doing business.

As far as I know, the Strata Property Act can't force an owner to sell if they are a persistent violator of a strata's bylaws and rules. As long as the owner complies with payment of fines within the time frame alloted in the bylaws, strata councils are largely powerless. Even if a strata gets the city involved and issues the violating owner more fines in addition to what the strata can issue ($200 per violation of a bylaw which is quite frankly, peanuts), until the fines are raised and enforced to a level where it becomes no longer profitable to run a vacation rental business, people will continue to rent out their units. In fact, people don't seem to be discrete about it all considering that there are people I see on my Facebook newsfeed who are proud to disclose to the entire world their success of renting their units on AirBnB.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #7615
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Comparable units in our building have been sold in recent months at $480k and $485k. I'm thinking of going in at no more than $450k seeing as this is a private sale. I might even lowball at $440K seeing as how there's so much market uncertainty at the moment and even though it's a well run building, there are creeping issues arising due to it's age.
If you can get it at a deal and within a private sale like that, I'd say it's a no brainer if you plan on being there for 5+ years like you said
Old 08-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #7616
linguistic ninja

Why the fail twitchyzero? I haven't made a decision yet and would like to know all possible opinions.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #7617
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts