REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #16151
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,428 Times in 483 Posts
Where do you guys post your rental suites?
Only craigslist?
Advertisement
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #16152
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Only craigslist?
I've had a lot of success with zumper.com
Raboragaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #16153
in the butt

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,196 Posts
i use zumper/padmapper 75% of inquiries, rentfaster 20% of inquiries, CL 5%

then again, zumper has the most time wasters

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2020, 11:45 PM   #16154
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,260 Times in 579 Posts
Anyone have comments on “StreetSide Developments”? They’re building a wood frame development called “Forte” and I’m concerned if it’ll be noisy af cause it’s wood.
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #16155
Need to Seek Professional Help

Never heard of them before but being a wood frame I would expect to hear your neighbours if they have a loud conversation, if they have the tv/music at a loud volume, and you'll definitely hear footsteps above you.

If you can I would recommend an end, penthouse unit. Conversations aren't too bad, but footsteps above can be annoying AF.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 04:25 AM   #16156
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Never heard of them before but being a wood frame I would expect to hear your neighbours if they have a loud conversation, if they have the tv/music at a loud volume, and you'll definitely hear footsteps above you.

If you can I would recommend an end, penthouse unit. Conversations aren't too bad, but footsteps above can be annoying AF.
X2
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #16157
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,757 Times in 913 Posts
You will hear your neighbor's sex or they will hear yours for sure. Even in a concrete highrise I some times hear foot steps if they have hard wood and still get noise complaints
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #16158
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
You will hear your neighbor's sex or they will hear yours for sure. Even in a concrete highrise I some times hear foot steps if they have hard wood and still get noise complaints
The choice of flooring has a big impact on sound. Laminate and hardwood are loud and transmit everything while carpet and vinyl are much more muted. God forbid the person upstairs wears shoes indoor or has a young child though...
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #16159
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,428 Times in 483 Posts
Make sure you get the top floor for low rises.
Noise from units above suck.
And face the alley if the other side is a big street, otherwise your unit will be very dusty when you open the windows. Drawback of facing the alley is, garbage days the garbage trucks are a bit noisy lol
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #16160
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,187 Posts
Anyone can recommend a general contractor team?

And also an amazing re project manager

Asking for a friend who’s looking to tear down and build a house
Old 08-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #16161
in the butt

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,196 Posts
People are living in lala land that buy wood condos.

Nothing wrong with buying one, but dont you dare open your mouth that "i can hear you walking around upstairs"
No shit. Buy a top floor unit next time.

Im all for trying to keep quiet, but you signed away your silent living rights the moment you moved in anything other than a house, or concrete highrise.

Had some people underneath me that useto live in a house, bought the unit under me, and would bitch and whine anytime they heard a fork drop.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #16162
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,239 Times in 2,432 Posts
As an alternate viewpoint, I bought and have lived in a wood framed building the past 5 years or so, and am very fortunate that either the building is well built and well-designed to isolate from noise, or that I have very quiet neighbours. The developer is Adera, and I can tell some thought was put into the design of it for noise transmission.

I am on a corner unit on third floor (out of four). Once in awhile I will hear stomping from my upstairs neighbours during football season, and once in awhile will hear voices from above/below, but total is probably less than a handful of times a year I am disturbed by it.

Although it was a bummer at first but now appreciate it, is the fact that our strata does not allow hardwood floors to be installed to avoid noise issues, although some units have been grandfathered in when they had them installed prior to the bylaw.

Considering at the time the price I paid for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1200+ sqft unit, I am very happy with the decision.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 08-10-2020 at 01:56 PM.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #16163
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,431 Times in 5,688 Posts
Many of the cookie cutter wood frame townhouses are absolutely terribly designed for sound transmission and you wouldn’t know it unless you saw how they are constructed or take a very close look at the drywall and exterior overlaps of neighbouring units

Of the 500 or so units I was a part of building when I was still in construction I’d say the last 200 or so had units where the master bedroom of your unit is essetntiallt half way overlapped into the neighbouring living room. So your bed is pretty much right over the neighbours TV..

Of course no one realized this until you moved in and had a Neighbor
Old 08-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #16164
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Anyone can recommend a general contractor team?

And also an amazing re project manager

Asking for a friend who’s looking to tear down and build a house
i am a electrical contractor. I rarely do residential but i have been doing it lately with this general contractor. They are in my experience really good.
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #16165

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouRK View Post
i am a electrical contractor. I rarely do residential but i have been doing it lately with this general contractor. They are in my experience really good.
If you can pm me their info, that’s great.

They are shopping around, but want to see if anyone had good experience with any team in particular so they can have some reference rather than “portfolio” where only the good/nice ones are shown.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #16166
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,404 Times in 554 Posts
Have lived in single houses, to woodframe condos, to 100 year old concrete builing, to 60 floor concrete apartments that can withstand a typhoon and godzilla attack.

Anything other than a single house is going to have to deal with some level of sound transmission. I'd say, the unit layout is so much more relevant vs IS IT WOOD?

Things to note off the top of my head:

The most important room to note in a floorplan is the bedroom of course. If your kitchen is adjoining another units kitchen, who cares. If your bedroom is adjoining their living room where most would put their TV and 8-subwoofer soundsystem then that's something no concrete is going to save you from.

Is the unit next to an elevator shaft? Is it next to stairs? Is it next to emergency stairs that will never get used? All of these can be both positive and negative.

Is your unit in-between other units? or is it a corner unit? What about hallway noise, if its close to the elevators you're going to have to deal with constant foot traffic.

So, if you have get access to the floorplan you can have a much better idea of what you're getting into. I mean, building floor-plan, including individual unit floorplans if possible. If in a pinch, I guess the fire-escape plan could help in a jiffy?
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #16167
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,845 Times in 1,487 Posts
Myself, my sister and my mom have all dealt with contractors in the last 3 years. 2 of the 3 were absolute nightmares to deal with. My brother in law was in management of large developments for many years and did research for his team. End up being an absolute nightmare.

My mother.... guy talked a big game. I was there during the whole process. She is a strong independent woman who you don’t want to $&@k with. He was a full blown crook and ripped off multiple people in her development. Most recently a similar scenario happened to her with good reference (for a small job). COVID has the guy under money pressure and ran off once again.

My scenario was the only decent one. General contractor was good. Wasn’t the best work I’ve ever seen. But honest, fair and reliable. My custom cabinetry? 2 week estimate turned to 7 months.... and honestly they still aren’t up to my expectations but we gave up.

What was the common denominator in all bad scenarios? LOW pricing.

You get what you pay for in this game. Go with someone who is priced right, not cheap. With excellent reliable reference and a solid portfolio. I’m amazed at what crooks are in the industry and how easily it is to get away with.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #16168
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
If you can pm me their info, that’s great.

They are shopping around, but want to see if anyone had good experience with any team in particular so they can have some reference rather than “portfolio” where only the good/nice ones are shown.
i think i sent a private message, if not
https://www.koruconstruction.com/
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #16169
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Myself, my sister and my mom have all dealt with contractors in the last 3 years. 2 of the 3 were absolute nightmares to deal with. My brother in law was in management of large developments for many years and did research for his team. End up being an absolute nightmare.

My mother.... guy talked a big game. I was there during the whole process. She is a strong independent woman who you don’t want to $&@k with. He was a full blown crook and ripped off multiple people in her development. Most recently a similar scenario happened to her with good reference (for a small job). COVID has the guy under money pressure and ran off once again.

My scenario was the only decent one. General contractor was good. Wasn’t the best work I’ve ever seen. But honest, fair and reliable. My custom cabinetry? 2 week estimate turned to 7 months.... and honestly they still aren’t up to my expectations but we gave up.

You get what you pay for in this game. Go with someone who is priced right, not cheap. With excellent reliable reference and a solid portfolio. I’m amazed at what crooks are in the industry and how easily it is to get away with.
i have worked with a really terrible contractor or 2. Mainly i upgrade the house service (proper permit) and they get some under qualified apprentice to do side work, roughing in electrical without a permit. ALWAYS make sure they are pulling permits, its not that much money to pull a permit for a residence. If they are doing ANY electrical re configuration/addition it should be inspected. Inspections are there to make sure the job is done right.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #16170
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,977 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
The most important room to note in a floorplan is the bedroom of course. If your kitchen is adjoining another units kitchen, who cares. If your bedroom is adjoining their living room where most would put their TV and 8-subwoofer soundsystem then that's something no concrete is going to save you from.
Don't forget to check all the bedrooms, not just the master, or your guests will have a bad time when they visit. Ask me how I know lol.

Quote:

My general rule has been to call 5 people for quotes, usually 3 will actually show up. Of those 3, look at the prices and pick the middle. Obvious there's more to it than just that but it's a start.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:03 AM   #16171
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Only craigslist?
I personally like using Facebook marketplace. It allows you to see the profile of the people messaging you which could help with your vetting process.
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:24 AM   #16172
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,472 Times in 997 Posts
from what i know of working loosely in the construction industry, its hard to find a fantastic GC that is just available to take on work that easily. the really good ones are generally booked doing lucrative jobs and won't easily take on new clients unless the money is really there.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #16173
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

This is my life like everyday, mind you commercial not residential but having to try and compete with companies that don't used qualified manpower, proper materials, don't pay their suppliers or their subs working out of their house and we're expected to compete with them on price when we're the complete opposite.

The problem is in a competitive bid format low price is almost all that matters because if that general contractor doesn't carry the low guy someone else will and they'll get the job and he won't.

It's a little different when your in a construction management situation at least then the GC is choosing who they want to get pricing from and low price isn't always the only consideration.

Anyway I'm just ranting because your rant is what I deal with on a daily basis except I'm the guy going how the hell can I compete with these scabs........frustrating.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #16174
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,567 Times in 1,527 Posts
Does anyone have an issue insuring a pre 1980s home with aluminum (mixed with Copper) wiring? Completion is in 9 days and its still extremely hard to find an insurer.

In our inspection report, it mentioned that a wiring update was recommended but it's not a hard must. HOWEVER, it was a hard requirement that we should get the breaker box panel coated with anti-oxidant paste. This was fixed today.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #16175

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
from what i know of working loosely in the construction industry, its hard to find a fantastic GC that is just available to take on work that easily. the really good ones are generally booked doing lucrative jobs and won't easily take on new clients unless the money is really there.
Yeah, that's the info I gathered from a buddy in the trade in Ontario.

The main problem he brought up though, quite sure it's not an ON only issue is that you might pay for quality price, and yet get subpar work.

Thus, when my friend came to me, I made it very clear to him, the idea is not to go cheap, but to be fair... to actually find someone who's truly "you get what you pay for" and does good/honest job while charging the rate they rightfully deserve.

Of course, if someone is good AND cheap, that'd be ideal, but those 2 words rarely show up in the same sentence in this particular industry.