REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:30 PM   #21101
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,308 Times in 1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea.. I think I prefer kicking my feet up and doing whatever the fuck I want in my own home without dad/uncle/grandpa sitting around lol
To this day, I still have dreams of my parents nagging me to all fucking hell.

Then I wake up in the calm serenity of my home and breathe that rewarding sigh of relief.
Advertisement
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2022, 08:49 PM   #21102
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,607 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I think I said this before, but I told my wife the only way I'd consider living with the mother in law is if we lived on acreage and I had a decent sized shop with a hoist.
that's one hell of a way to call her fat
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:48 PM   #21103
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,779 Times in 713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Assuming you’re married, what does your wife think of that?
I just asked her.

She straight-faced me and said, "No" and walked away.

... lol
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:24 AM   #21104
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,932 Posts
What does this say about our society when adult children refuse to live with or care for their parents in their old age? For the most part, they lived with your naughty diapered ass for 17-20 yrs, feeding you and putting up with your teenage bullshit.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:51 AM   #21105
in the butt

Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,203 Posts
It says they signed up for 20 years of bullshit, 9 months before it even started

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
this guy is the embodiment of a cross cab owner.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 06:09 AM   #21106
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
What does this say about our society when adult children refuse to live with or care for their parents in their old age? For the most part, they lived with your naughty diapered ass for 17-20 yrs, feeding you and putting up with your teenage bullshit.

Although I have no intentions of ever living with my parents if there was some sort of emergency case where they needed my help I'm not going to turn my back on them. One example would be if something happened to my dad who looks after things mainly I'd figure out something we could do with my mom and my niece who also lives with them. I could never imagine a world where I would ask my son to care and look after me in my old age, I would never put that burden on him, just put me down.

Although I talk to my parents fairly frequently at least once or twice a week we're not physically that close, I've seen my mom 3 times and my dad 2 times in the last 6 years, they moved away and live halfway across the Country.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:11 AM   #21107
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,446 Times in 5,696 Posts
Quote:
That we've progressed past the point where we all have to work a potato farm iving in a 1 room shack to survive? lol
Old 03-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #21108
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,058 Posts
Quote:
My parents are moving into our basement against our wishes. I can't say no to it but it's a concern for us. It makes a ton of sense from a finance perspective as they can cash out their old condo and save on the very expensive strata fees ($700/m), property taxes, insurance, storage(from downsizing their house), etc. It's the reason why I spent a chunk of money doing sound proofing for the basement so they don't hear us.

When things are good, it's great. We stayed with them in their condo for 3 months while our house was being renovated. There were no problems and everyone was on their best behaviour. Living together long term is a different story as you can't be on best behaviour for eternity. Wife and I tried not to have arguments when staying with my parents, and we went outside to have our contentious discussions if possible. When it's under the same roof that's a lot harder and my concern is my parents taking my side on things unnecessarily and eventually having a poor relationship with my wife. My parents also have no sense of privacy.
We are gonna see how things go but if it means I take out an extra loan to buy a condo for them, and forgo my plans for a P-car, then so be it. Everyone's happiness > just mine.

We had plans to eventually have my parents move in as they get older, but that was 5-10 years down the road and not now. Her parents are more independent (also the relationship is not very good) but it does open up a can of worms where its "unfair" if we only live with one set of parents and not the other. I have negative wishes to have both sides of parents living under the same roof.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 09:45 AM   #21109
private modder

Thanked 2,655 Times in 744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
that's one hell of a way to call her fat
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #21110
private modder

Thanked 2,655 Times in 744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
There's a carwash bay at my place, I have never seen a spray nozzle last longer than 1 month... either it breaks from people slamming it around or they leave the water pressure on and the hoses bursts at the attachment point.

Can't win.
I am the guy at our condo who has to replace it when it breaks. I found the same thing until we started using a basic, brass twist hoze nozzle. Those things don't break, thankfully. They do get stolen though once in a while. Who the fuck pays all this money to live here, and then steals a $20 hose nozzle, I will never understand.

The bigger issue we have is the hose itself kinks and cracks. They only last a few months and I can't seem to find a hose that doesn't do that.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 10:24 AM   #21111

Thanked 4,866 Times in 1,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
The bigger issue we have is the hose itself kinks and cracks. They only last a few months and I can't seem to find a hose that doesn't do that.
Have you tried going with a rubber hose?

https://www.new-line.com/hose/water-...thread-200-psi

Should be much more long lived than you're typical PVC hose. The downside is that it's really heavy in comparison.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #21112

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
My parents are moving into our basement against our wishes. I can't say no to it but it's a concern for us. It makes a ton of sense from a finance perspective as they can cash out their old condo and save on the very expensive strata fees ($700/m), property taxes, insurance, storage(from downsizing their house), etc. It's the reason why I spent a chunk of money doing sound proofing for the basement so they don't hear us.

When things are good, it's great. We stayed with them in their condo for 3 months while our house was being renovated. There were no problems and everyone was on their best behaviour. Living together long term is a different story as you can't be on best behaviour for eternity. Wife and I tried not to have arguments when staying with my parents, and we went outside to have our contentious discussions if possible. When it's under the same roof that's a lot harder and my concern is my parents taking my side on things unnecessarily and eventually having a poor relationship with my wife. My parents also have no sense of privacy.
We are gonna see how things go but if it means I take out an extra loan to buy a condo for them, and forgo my plans for a P-car, then so be it. Everyone's happiness > just mine.

We had plans to eventually have my parents move in as they get older, but that was 5-10 years down the road and not now. Her parents are more independent (also the relationship is not very good) but it does open up a can of worms where its "unfair" if we only live with one set of parents and not the other. I have negative wishes to have both sides of parents living under the same roof.
I’d hope they are paying a big chunk of those savings back to you.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #21113

For years my siblings and I wrestled the idea about living with our parents but they are not the easiest to get along with. My sister refuses to live with our mom and my brother refuses to live with our dad. I refuse to live with either given the fact my relationship with them is strained. Communication/language barrier aside I'm not close with my parents at all. I looked after myself since elementary while they both worked and that really contributed to our current situation. We here live in a different society where kids don't really live/take care of our parents but elsewhere in the world is such a norm. My wife's grandma flew in and will be here the next 3 months and my wife's aunt came with since she's the primary caregiver for wife's grandma. The aunt is single no kids. No real career, her whole time/life has been spent taking care of the grandma and she's absolutely fine with it.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:13 AM   #21114
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,058 Posts
Quote:
I’d hope they are paying a big chunk of those savings back to you.
They are paying rent for sure, just less than market, and that's fine. They've helped with the house and again with some renos. Though that didn't come without some arguments as well. It also comes with some benefits, like we can go out for a dessert date after our son goes to sleep and have my parents just keep an eye on things.

We don't use our parents for child care unless necessary, and it's something my wife and I agreed on. Our parents and us just don't see eye to eye in terms of discipline and rules, also we don't want to make it a chore for them and I want them to want to see the grandkids vs "oh no not again". And in our opinion, they aren't great with young kids as they didn't do a lot of caretaking below 5. I had a live in nanny growing up in HK and wife's parents were out of the country for work when she was under 5.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #21115
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,422 Times in 3,484 Posts
Rubber house is the answer.

You guys should look into joining/starting a makerspace. I pay $60 a month for 24/7 access to makerspace Nanaimo. We where 95% member funded but just got a $25000 grant that's going to be used to buy new equipment for the wood shop.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #21116
GS8

Thanked 7,308 Times in 1,982 Posts
Quote:
That would imply that every child grew up in a Danny Tanner / Carl Winslow household.

Far from reality.

Quote:
That we've progressed past the point where we all have to work a potato farm iving in a 1 room shack to survive? lol
And watching your parents make new offspring because your 2 older siblings died from infection & pestilence.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 11:57 AM   #21117

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
That would imply that every child grew up in a Danny Tanner / Carl Winslow household.

Far from reality.
Lo, Yeah I was going to post my personal experience before as a response but I figured it was a bit to personal and everyone has their own story.

I can say my childhood was anything but typical and what I do as a parent now and how attentive I am to my own son is a direct result of that.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #21118
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I am the guy at our condo who has to replace it when it breaks. I found the same thing until we started using a basic, brass twist hoze nozzle. Those things don't break, thankfully. They do get stolen though once in a while. Who the fuck pays all this money to live here, and then steals a $20 hose nozzle, I will never understand.

That or someone runs it over.
At our old strata, yes people stole the cheap brass nozzles.
But what's worse was people running over the hose or end of the hose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:40 PM   #21119

Get an industrial grade washdown gun. Uses a 1/2" NPT fitting, which would not only be more difficult to remove, but since it's not your standard garden hose fitting theft would be kind of pointless. Bonus that being industrial grade, would likely live longer.

https://www.new-line.com/fittings/wa...th-black-cover
This one's brass but you can get them in Aluminum and Stainless

Of course, you'd have to get the matching hose to suit the fitting
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Last edited by Great68; 03-23-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #21120

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post

Far from reality.
I wrote, 'for the most part'. I'm realistic enough to know that some people were raised in a pretty broken, shitty home. I get that. 'For the most part'.

I was going to say that having your elderly parents live with you might be a cultural value .. it may be.

But there are lots of options like Laneway house, in-law separate suites with separate entrances (separate kitchen, separate TV area, etc.) and probably other variations so that your parents or PIL are not in the bedroom beside you when you're feeling frisky.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #21121
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
I wrote, 'for the most part'. I'm realistic enough to know that some people were raised in a pretty broken, shitty home. I get that. 'For the most part'.

I was going to say that having your elderly parents live with you might be a cultural value .. it may be.

But there are lots of options like Laneway house, in-law separate suites with separate entrances (separate kitchen, separate TV area, etc.) and probably other variations so that your parents or PIL are not in the bedroom beside you when you're feeling frisky.
Everyone will have a different upbringing and point of view, no right or wrong. I grew up being taken care by my grandparents entirely of my childhood up to post secondary, before they moved into a care home. My parents were too busy working to provide for the family financially, especially my dad where he worked 11-12 hour days for 6 days a week. I ain't super close with my parents compared to my grandparents, but I have grown to appreciate what they have done to provide for me. Even when I lived at home before I got my own place, as long as I showed "I was working", they gave me privacy and understood the "gotta make money" LOL. Miss those times when my grandparents spoiled me rotten, some of the best days of my life.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 01:12 PM   #21122

^ Thanks ...I forgot to highlight grandparent/intergenerational relationships in healthy settings.

So many couples with young children would like their parents to be available for free babysitting. Again, not gonna work in every family but in a give and take situation, there are some intangibles that you gain.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:47 PM   #21123
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,211 Times in 980 Posts
When I bought my current house it was partly b/c it offered the ability to create 2 ground level suites so that my parents and in-laws could move in with us if needed. I'm not exactly keen on them living with us cause both sets drive me nuts but I consider it my responsibility to support them if they need the help. That the suites have separate entrances and they won't have a key to my part of the house is mandatory. Ain't no way they drop by without asking first.

It is nice to get free child care from them (they live close by right now) but, to be honest, I'd rather hire a babysitter and let my parents/in-laws have low stress time with my kid. Maybe when my kid is older and more independent I'll change my tune but right now a professional babysitter is soooooo much better than my parents or in-laws.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:17 PM   #21124

Not gonna lie, the grandma moving to the island and being available to babysit or take the kid for a weekend at a moment's notice has been pretty nice. She has nothing else going on so she likes doing it.
Especially after 5 years of not really having that kind of support at all.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 03-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #21125

Legit having kids sounds like a total nightmare to me