REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:57 PM   #28451
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,769 Times in 708 Posts
Quick google search says a top 10% earner is $175,000 in Canada.
Link

I don't believe 80% of your drop-in vball friends are making that. That can't be possible. I can't see 80% of your vball friends are even breaking $100k.
Advertisement
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:08 PM   #28452
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Stats Can says top 10% is 102k:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1110005501
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 05:52 PM   #28453
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,232 Times in 2,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Link

I don't believe 80% of your drop-in vball friends are making that. That can't be possible. I can't see 80% of your vball friends are even breaking $100k.
If you think about the distribution of wealth across all of Canada, I could see how it could be possible.

For real if you look at incoming distribution of people in Saskatoon, gonna be quite different.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 06:30 PM   #28454
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
People don't like to advertise they're struggling to get by?

You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about what your peers and total strangers make. Seems like a recipe for poor mental health. But that's just me.
Was thinking the same thing. I'm at the point in my life to not even give a shit what others make or what others have. Practically never engage in those conversations even though my wife constantly brings up that shit comparing wages or if they have a home etc. I ignore my wife with these topics because I feel it's stupid to always try to think one is better or not better than the other person (got enough shit in my day to deal with to think about that kinda crap). E.g. Like who the fuck cares if that person makes $150K, for all we know they could be broke. Mentally draining when thinking what others are doing or making.

I'm literally the guy that dress the same clothing 365 days a year (shorts and t-shirt), low-key driving a beater - gotten to the point in life to be happy with what I have without the need to advertise it.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:41 PM   #28455
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,412 Times in 5,678 Posts
Among my best friends probably 4-5 people we openly discuss finances and have a pretty good idea where one another are at, it’s not really bragging just discussion and those who are having a harder time aren’t shy about saying how big their mortgage has gotten etc.

I find myself biting my tongue to some degree at work and in social situations because I’m fortunate enough to be in a pretty relaxed financial situation without kids etc. so my wife and I do a lot of shit, go a lot of places, but frivolous BS. So sometimes just in regular banter among co-workers etc. I find myself relating to their stories or discussion but basically shitting on their stories with mine so I’ve taught myself to be a bit more self-aware and not go that route lol

As said above, don’t really care what others who aren’t in my life are doing and it’s not my place to make them feel worse lol
Old 10-25-2023, 06:56 PM   #28456

As someone with kids, I'm really sick of hearing "kids" as an excuse for bad financial management.

Choosing to have a kids and then complaining how expensive they are is is like buying a Lamborghini and complaining you can't afford the fuel and maintenance.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 07:04 PM   #28457
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,129 Posts
^ Maybe people here just hang out with lousy parents.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 07:05 PM   #28458

Thanked 31,202 Times in 7,174 Posts
Other than daycare, the kids expenses are negligible. $1200 a month child care isn't the best, but such is life, and it's not forever. People who have family nearby often don't have to even deal with that, so the "kids are making us broke" excuse is usually from people who are ordering from Uber every night, driving a new leased car, buying the bigger place that they didn't need, etc.
They would probably have the same amount in their bank account without the kid, but they'd be driving an m5 instead of the 550i, have a membership at equinox instead of the Steve Nash or whatever.
We are the only ones out of our friend group with a kid in Vancouver, but we still go on the same vacations as our friends, go to whistler with them and ride, etc. That's why we have a golf instead of an x5M. You just need to decide what's worth it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 07:34 PM   #28459
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,845 Times in 1,487 Posts
You can tell your kid isn’t in organized sports yet. Even soccer is expensive these days, and kids seem to be in every activity out there.

I’d agree with you in that infants are cheap. My little guy is in diapers, and if it wasn’t for some other expenses these days we would be banking good cash. Forced to eat at home most of the time, and too tired to do anything other then go to bed. Good for the bank account. Lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 07:37 PM   #28460

Yeah. I also believe that those parents who play the "kids" card for why they can't do a thing, really didn't want to do that thing in the first place and just used a convenient excuse/scapegoat. I honestly can't say my kid has ever prevented me from doing something I really wanted to do.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 07:41 PM   #28461

Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
You can tell your kid isn’t in organized sports yet. Even soccer is expensive these days, and kids seem to be in every activity out there.
I get the point about some parents just being bad with money, but this point is also true.

Virtually every activity for a kid is like a minimum of $200/month. $200/month for each activity isn't much for the average household on RS. But, in my experience, I have found that 1 child families also enroll their kids into pretty much everything, so it can add up very quickly for the average family that makes $150K/year.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 07:55 PM   #28462
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,045 Posts
I can't do anything because I have kids. A lot of it is also time on top of money. It typically takes us 15-30 minutes to get both kids out the door and have all the shit packed. We take them somewhere for classes which is on average 30mins door to door (traffic, parking, getting them in and out of the car, etc). Do a one hour thing, go grab lunch and the whole affair has taken us about 3 hours. Repeat that every Saturday or Sunday for which it happens on.

The other day is for other things like meeting up with friends for play dates, birthday parties, seasonal events (Halloween, Christmas, Easter, etc) We were doing two classes a week and it was way too much. It was more work than going to work.

Now money. Infants are cheap once you get the initial equipment investments out of the way (car seat, crib, high chair, etc). Equipment can be a few hundo to a few thousand, then it's just diapers.

Once they hit 3 years old is when things get pricy. Daycare thankfully is 550/m right now after the new incentives. But you factor in the gas to drive them there twice a day, god forbid if you can't get into one that's close by. At one point after we moved it was a 1 hour round trip for drop off, and one hour for pick up. That's gas money.
Like someone else said, classes is averaged about $200/m not including any necessary equipment costs if there are any. Birthday parties cost money as you gotta gift things, and it's average about 1-2 a month and you are dishing out $40-100.

Wife is on maternity leave right now. You god damn right money is tight. Try cutting 1/3 of your income off while trying to maintain the same living standard.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 08:15 PM   #28463

Thanked 31,202 Times in 7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post

I’d agree with you in that infants are cheap. My little guy is in diapers, and if it wasn’t for some other expenses these days we would be banking good cash. Forced to eat at home most of the time, and too tired to do anything other then go to bed. Good for the bank account. Lol.
I'm not too worried about it. She's in gymnastics right now (as much as you can call a 2 year old jumping off of stuff gymnastics) I just got her all her snowboard gear. Once she's in school that $1200 a month daycare will turn into $3-400 a month after school care and there's no way soccer, hockey, gymnastics or whatever else she's in is gonna be $1000 a month.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:21 PM   #28464
in the butt

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,192 Posts
Someone say kids?

Spoiler!

So real estate.......

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 09:29 PM   #28465

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,185 Posts
The thing about people in different financial situations is their common value.

I think I'm doing ok, but compared to the social circle my parents are in, I'm a fucking peasant. And the things being discussed are on a whole other level. They are almost the same, but also very different

Me and my friends: oh, did you see that new *toy* that came out?
My dad and his friends: oh did you see that new *toy* that came out?

From my personal observation, the amount of budget that we seem to be ok with for toys (as in non-essential items) seem to be roughly our yearly income. And for most of us, a car seems to do that. They do the same thing. But when they clear 7-8 figures a year, they are interested in different things.

Same thing goes for investment. When we are talking about putting 10k in company A, another 5k in company B, or maybe a bigger investment in RE that's about 1M or something like that.

Their conversation go with putting 300k here, 500k there and when stretching, they are talking about 10M+.

And it's hard to meet somewhere in the middle really. My dad wouldn't even bother to look at an investment proposal that's 1-2M. It just doesn't make sense in his head for his effort. RE... for example, a 1-2M property for him... it's maybe a vacation home, a cabin or something along that line. But anything serious that's less than 5M? He just wouldn't bother.

And say if you don't want to compare UP. But if you go down, it's the same thing. It's hard to become true friends with someone when you are always trying to go have some fun after work/weekend when they are struggling to get by. A $150 expense of going out one night (booze, food, movie... etc) might be nothing for you, but might be whether or not he'd be able to pay rent this month.

It's not about looking down on someone or whatever. It's just hard to form a bond when you guys are in a very different stage financially and their goal in life are totally different.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:52 PM   #28466

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I get the point about some parents just being bad with money, but this point is also true.

Virtually every activity for a kid is like a minimum of $200/month. $200/month for each activity isn't much for the average household on RS. But, in my experience, I have found that 1 child families also enroll their kids into pretty much everything, so it can add up very quickly for the average family that makes $150K/year.
Spring football for my son this year cost me $5,000+ because of the travel. My buddy was spending more than that for his son to play soccer at the highest level. I also know another family that was spending 25-30k a year on hockey with all the training and travel, he'll likely be a 1st or 2nd round pick in the NHL draft next year so that should pay off for him.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 10:59 PM   #28467
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'm not too worried about it. She's in gymnastics right now (as much as you can call a 2 year old jumping off of stuff gymnastics) I just got her all her snowboard gear. Once she's in school that $1200 a month daycare will turn into $3-400 a month after school care and there's no way soccer, hockey, gymnastics or whatever else she's in is gonna be $1000 a month.
If they are competitive then it gets expensive real fast. I have a colleague who put their kid in dancing. Multiple yearly trips (domestic & international) to compete, thousands of dollars on competition dresses each year, not to mention all of the $ spent on additional lessons outside of her normal classes. And that's just one of her activities.

If they are just keeping busy/killing time, it's not too crazy. If your kid is good, you better hope they are in the top % lol. Otherwise, hope they suck or aren't overly interested lol.

This is where all the "white privilege kid" or "middle class kid" vs. "poor immigrant kid" jokes come in lol.

Last edited by Alpine; 10-25-2023 at 11:05 PM.
Alpine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 11:11 PM   #28468
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,623 Times in 5,179 Posts
I've noticed a tonne of my friends have their kids in like jujitsu or karate or shit like that and seeing enough trophies amongst them all makes e wonder if they all win something??? But yah they're going to tournaments in Las Vegas and Florida and stuff... fuck I dunno if I'm jut stodgy or cheap or both but I be like yah do that shit when you're old enough to do it yourself lol... my pops wouldnt even drive me to a baseball diamond. There's gotta be some limits there.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:23 AM   #28469
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,769 Times in 708 Posts
There are a lot of parents out there that don't understand to be a parent you have to serve. You're a servant for the next 19 years minimum.

Some people just haven't figured that out. They think they're still. Important. You're not. You're a servant to your spouse and your child.

Also realize that your child is a direct reflection of your parenting. If you hear any parent say something like, my child doesn't listen, that's because you're a weak leader. Come at me, it's the truth. It's the exact same with dog parents. If you have friends that have a shitty dog that doesn't listen it's because they're a weak leader.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-26-2023, 12:33 AM   #28470

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Link

We're mostly 24 - 28ish, so sub 30. Our top 10% parameter would be way lower vs 35 to 50's. There should be decent salary growth when everyone goes from senior/manager to senior manager / director.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Was thinking the same thing. I'm at the point in my life to not even give a shit what others make or what others have. Practically never engage in those conversations even though my wife constantly brings up that shit comparing wages or if they have a home etc..
Maybe it's my age but the reason why I talk about it so often is because everyone around me seems to bring it up at least once during a gathering about housing, groceries, entertainment, or vehicle costs. Like I can't do x,y,z it costs too much. Or wow you're rich, you can afford classes or lessons on hobbies. talks about going carless due to costs.

I guess it's sad to see the divide in friendships based on what they can and can not do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I also know another family that was spending 25-30k a year on hockey with all the training and travel, he'll likely be a 1st or 2nd round pick in the NHL draft next year so that should pay off for him.
I was playing indoor golf the other day and the kid next to me. Their parents pays for the 104 lesson pack + 1 Physio / RMT / PT training per week. Kid has a full ride scholarship via golf to a few US schools. But every time he swings he says how much he hates golf Apparently the dad played a professional sport so they wanted the kid to go pro at something. It's crazy to see how all in a parent will go for their kid to succeed in sports.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 10-26-2023 at 12:48 AM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #28471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post

I was playing indoor golf the other day and the kid next to me. Their parents pays for the 104 lesson pack + 1 Physio / RMT / PT training per week. Kid has a full ride scholarship via golf to a few US schools. But every time he swings he says how much he hates golf Apparently the dad played a professional sport so they wanted the kid to go pro at something. It's crazy to see how all in a parent will go for their kid to succeed in sports.
The hockey kid I'm talking about also had a dad that played professional sports but I never seen him not like the sport or seem unhappy. My son played Football and Lacrosse with him for years so we got to know his parents pretty well, his dad was always super strict and tough on him when he made a mistake.

That said this kid was so damm good at every sport, Lacrosse he was the best player in the league by a mile, Football he was unreal, Hockey I never watched him play when he was super young but did see him play U18 for Team USA but he was always up there.

Genetics have to play a big role but getting pushed and having expectations to not suck probably push them to the next level, that and a lot of hard work lol.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2023, 08:32 AM   #28472
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Spring football for my son this year cost me $5,000+ because of the travel. My buddy was spending more than that for his son to play soccer at the highest level. I also know another family that was spending 25-30k a year on hockey with all the training and travel, he'll likely be a 1st or 2nd round pick in the NHL draft next year so that should pay off for him.
Celebrini or Wetch?
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:52 AM   #28473
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,965 Times in 3,895 Posts
The shitty part about kids activities is hardly anything seems to be casual anymore. Just wanting your kid to be able to try a bunch of different stuff seems pretty difficult because everyone wants their thing to be your kids entire life. 4 year old gymnastics was 3 days a week + they wanted them to travel to events. My kid just wants to try out bouncing around on stuff, I'm not wanting to go full ham on this trying to make her the next Simone Biles.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2023, 08:57 AM   #28474

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Celebrini or Wetch?
https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-mack...raft-1.2013672

Emery, they list him as from Compton because that's where his dads from but he's a Surrey kid lol.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2023, 08:57 AM   #28475

What and how expensive the things you put your kids into is entirely a personal choice though.

To use another car analogy, it's like having base model car and deciding what mods you want to do to it to personalize it as your own. Not everyone needs to go for the fully built aftermarket motor and big turbo. If you want to do that, it's fine but don't complain about the cost.

We have our son in 5 regular activities: Soccer, Swimming, General Music Theory "Musical Playground", Guitar Lessons, Beaver Scouts. Most of these are through local community centres, so very affordable. Scouts is all of like $300 for the entire year.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by: