REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:39 AM   #28201
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
we joke about it all the time but one of our biggest motivators to moving into detached or at least a th was not having to take your garbage, compost, cat litter, etc... down the elevator and do the walk to the garbage room. same goes for unloading the car after buying more than two bags of stuff. at the condo we even had really good parking spots close to the elevators and even then we hated leaving stuff in front of the elevator and going back and forth 2-3 times to the car, then calling the elevator to go up. first world problems i guess.
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 11:42 AM   #28202
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
Anyone purchased earthquake insurance here? If so, did you buy a secondary insurance that covers the deductible of the earthquake insurance?
if i have to pay like 25k in the rare 10% chance i will see a major earthquake in my lifetime then i'm ok with that. i don't feel the need to have to cover that even further.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 12:05 PM   #28203
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
I

Not sure what your budget and style is but this seems (relatively) decent with room for 4 cars out in Tsawwassen. The area's pretty nice to live outside of limited food options.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...14539743_zpid/
This is exactly the one I had in mind when I typed that lol

It's actually a little bit overpriced though per sqft... other solds in the area are mid 600's and this one is 750 or something? Not like it has a huge yard or anything too... and the carpet is fucked in both rooms with a fireplace, they renovated the fireplace but the carpet just kind of ends where the old fireplace used to be.

Examples:

That's a big wtf head scratcher............. how is anyone ok with that after the fact?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 12:20 PM   #28204
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
we joke about it all the time but one of our biggest motivators to moving into detached or at least a th was not having to take your garbage, compost, cat litter, etc... down the elevator and do the walk to the garbage room. same goes for unloading the car after buying more than two bags of stuff. at the condo we even had really good parking spots close to the elevators and even then we hated leaving stuff in front of the elevator and going back and forth 2-3 times to the car, then calling the elevator to go up. first world problems i guess.
I kinda appreciate those walks at night as sanity walks... like if the wife/gf or dogs or kids or whatever are being just "TOO MUCH" in some way... just slowly saunter off to somewhere. I guess it's the non-smoking version of going out for a smoke.

That said, a garage would provide pretty much the same solitude lol
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 12:30 PM   #28205
SFICC-03*

i think what made it so much worse for us was that our garbage room was always in the most fucked up state. bins would be so full sometimes you'd just leave your shit on the floor or in a few cases take it back upstairs for a few more days. sometimes i was just in utter disbelief when i opened that door.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:31 PM   #28206
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
It's also sad to watch someone work their whole life and pass it down.

Does anybody have a general idea how quickly the elderly body degrades from 70 - 90?
my mom (67) turned bat shit crazy after all this covid nonsense. It runs in her family (Alzheimers and other fun mental illnesses) but shes totally obsessing over bullshit now.

So if your mom is still in good health both mentally and physically please encourage her to go out and do as many things as possible.

As of today, my dad volunteered to go into an assisted living home (partially just to get away from my mom) cuz he broke his hip and is likely unable to ever walk again. So now i got a crazy old crow living in the old apartment, a broken old man, and tiny spy ballooon.

LIFE's FUCKING GREAT!
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 12:33 PM   #28207
Performance Moderator

I saw your imposter in downtown the other day, walking to the Canada Line and there was an asian dude decked out head to toe in black Costco sweats/sandals...
Old 10-06-2023, 12:37 PM   #28208

WTF. ive started a fashion trend.

i also saw a carbon copy of myself in Dolar the other day, wearing the same getup.
We both saw each other and give each other the thumbs up.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 02:49 PM   #28209
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Dude I'm like dying after walking 20000 steps a day, a 70 year old plus will bitch for sure especially if they Asian
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 02:57 PM   #28210
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
I know you mentioned that your garbage room was a shit show but now that I am in a detached I actually miss having a garbage room (as long as it isn't a mess).

With garbage pickup being every 2 weeks and compost/recycling once a week things get stinky pretty fast. I've resorted to using freezer space to keep my compost/garbage indoors until collection day.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 02:58 PM   #28211
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
WTF. ive started a fashion trend.

i also saw a carbon copy of myself in Dolar the other day, wearing the same getup.
We both saw each other and give each other the thumbs up.
You're part of the redflagdeals uniform crew!
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 03:11 PM   #28212
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
Quote:
if i have to pay like 25k in the rare 10% chance i will see a major earthquake in my lifetime then i'm ok with that. i don't feel the need to have to cover that even further.
Hmm from what I have researched so far, deductible is like 100 to 200k... and some insurance companies require the deductible to be 20% of your home price. A 1.5m house then has a 300k deductible...
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #28213
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
take turns living out of badhobz' lexus LM bang bus if the homes collapse
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #28214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
With garbage pickup being every 2 weeks and compost/recycling once a week things get stinky pretty fast. I've resorted to using freezer space to keep my compost/garbage indoors until collection day.
not sure if you guys noticed, but all the parks are getting stuffed full of mysterious bags that looks a lot like household garbage. People cant wait 2 weeks for their garbage to be dumped, so they resort to dumping it at parks etc.

i tried to throw my dog pooh bags away and half the time its jam packed already.
Old 10-06-2023, 04:41 PM   #28215
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
not sure if you guys noticed, but all the parks are getting stuffed full of mysterious bags that looks a lot like household garbage. People cant wait 2 weeks for their garbage to be dumped, so they resort to dumping it at parks etc.

i tried to throw my dog pooh bags away and half the time its jam packed already.
When you have 10/15 people living in a house garbage piles up fast. You will have more garbage than what the city allows you to throw out.
Old 10-06-2023, 05:16 PM   #28216
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
If you can't wait an extra week, then take your ass in your car, and drive to the dump and pay the fee.

I'd pay good money for a "return it" garbage program, as a tv series:

Spoiler!

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #28217
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
i think what made it so much worse for us was that our garbage room was always in the most fucked up state. bins would be so full sometimes you'd just leave your shit on the floor or in a few cases take it back upstairs for a few more days. sometimes i was just in utter disbelief when i opened that door.
I'm sure there are costs associated with it but man I love how TO buildings have garbage chutes. All the units I've lived in have the tri-sorter versions so you can drop trash, recycling, and organics down. I only go to the actual garbage room for oversized stuff. There must be something about Vancouver building codes that makes them nonviable because I've never seen one in a condo there.
Old 10-06-2023, 06:38 PM   #28218
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Our old place had a garbage chute, built in 87 though
Old 10-06-2023, 11:34 PM   #28219
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
Hmm from what I have researched so far, deductible is like 100 to 200k... and some insurance companies require the deductible to be 20% of your home price. A 1.5m house then has a 300k deductible...
i guess it depends on how much it increases your payment. i cant remember exactly how much it increased ours but we pay about $130/mo and earthquake is like 1/3 or 1/4 of that. if you had a deductible that was 20% of your home's value then i would hope that your payment would barely be affected.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2023, 12:03 AM   #28220
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
This is exactly the one I had in mind when I typed that lol

Not like it has a huge yard or anything too... and the carpet is fucked in both rooms with a fireplace, they renovated the fireplace but the carpet just kind of ends where the old fireplace used to be.

That's a big wtf head scratcher............. how is anyone ok with that after the fact?
Didn't notice the carpets by the fireplace in that one....how weird. Makes you wonder what else the owners cut corners on.

I agree that particular rancher is pricier on the $/sqft side, and the ones that have a low $/sqft with a low asking price move very quick. You pretty much have to be ready to submit an offer right away when one of these listings appear.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #28221
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
Didn't notice the carpets by the fireplace in that one....how weird. Makes you wonder what else the owners cut corners on.

I agree that particular rancher is pricier on the $/sqft side, and the ones that have a low $/sqft with a low asking price move very quick. You pretty much have to be ready to submit an offer right away when one of these listings appear.
Not weird at all.

"Eh, we're selling anyways, might as well not spend any more money on replacing the carpet, the buyers will rip it out anyways."

I think it just gives you a read on the sellers that they're going to be difficult to deal with and try to nickel and dime everything.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2023, 03:44 PM   #28222
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
I'm sure there are costs associated with it but man I love how TO buildings have garbage chutes. All the units I've lived in have the tri-sorter versions so you can drop trash, recycling, and organics down. I only go to the actual garbage room for oversized stuff. There must be something about Vancouver building codes that makes them nonviable because I've never seen one in a condo there.
+1. I can't imagine any other way.
Old 10-07-2023, 04:44 PM   #28223
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
One thing I miss about living in a condo in Toronto is the garbage chutes with the tri-sorter.

Sucks when it is out of service or some idiot occupant throws something down there that doesn't fit.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 04:51 PM   #28224
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,225 Posts
Vancouver comes off as a place where the garbage chute would constantly be out of order due to some idiot trying to shove a mini fridge down it.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2023, 04:56 PM   #28225
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,507 Posts
i remember when i lived in a condo a neighbour on the floor would leave their garbage in front of their door on the hallway (i'm guessing to take it out when they head out b/c too lazy to make a trip?)

made the hallway smell like a chinatown alley in the summer, so annoying

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote