REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:04 AM   #29776
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,359 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^ If you'd read any of the previous messages, I don't personally have much optimism that 1bd condos are going to continue to go up enough to matter for the next 10 years.

Just my personal opinion, you don't have to agree.
My X said that about her stupid apartment as well (mine is 2 bedroom, X bought the 1 bedroom).

Background
Built 1982. bought for $210,000 back 2008 sold it at 270k and lost some money... because it was sold during bad times.
how much higher can a stupid one bedroom be worth?
Just googled, recently sold at 429k

If i sell it, unless it's a prim residence.. that 400k cash... 5% is 20k a year at hte bank.. but yeah, if you can reap in more money in the market.. sure.

I'm just continue going to ride the rental wave and let it go up.
It's my retirement residence just in case i get laid off.
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:13 AM   #29777
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,883 Times in 3,206 Posts
1 bedroom owners = fuck this, its small
2 bedroom owners = fuck this, its small
5 bedroom owners = fuck this, each bedroom is small
10 bedroom owners = yeah this is about right

now to fill those 10 bedrooms with manics cousins and REAP THE REWARDS !!!!
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 07:32 AM   #29778
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,703 Times in 5,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
My X said that about her stupid apartment as well (mine is 2 bedroom, X bought the 1 bedroom).

Background
Built 1982. bought for $210,000 back 2008 sold it at 270k and lost some money... because it was sold during bad times.
how much higher can a stupid one bedroom be worth?
Just googled, recently sold at 429k

If i sell it, unless it's a prim residence.. that 400k cash... 5% is 20k a year at hte bank.. but yeah, if you can reap in more money in the market.. sure.

I'm just continue going to ride the rental wave and let it go up.
It's my retirement residence just in case i get laid off.
To be clear, I didn't think the market was gonna crash back in 2010 when everyone was hyped about it and selling to cash in... thought it still had quite a bit of room to grow in every sector of it. I had to sell my old 2 bedroom at $368,000 to move, coudln't afford to own 2 places, but I hated doing it and it's worth about $700,000 now.

Right NOW though... I don't personally think so, not for condos anyway. In my mind it's at a point where prices might go up another 10-20% at most, but part of that will just be inflation.

That said, if I could have afforded a detached house back in 2010 and in the right areas, I would have tripled my money... or townhouses would have just over doubled... when I bought my current condo, I walked through my neighbourhood and townhouses were about $600-650k all around me and I wanted to get one, but couldn't afford it as a single guy... now those same ones are minimum $1.2M so even that would have been slightly better from a speculation perspective than my condo too.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 07:58 AM   #29779
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,861 Times in 1,786 Posts
Quote:
It's not just low income people that have this mindset... I worked with many bitter old ladies in the government who, albeit worked the lowest positions in the government... like CR-04 Admin... but still it's been anywhere from $40-60k salary range in the last 20 years and the entire time they've just rented instead of buying because "prices were too high" and now they're full of bitter regret because that 2 bedroom condo they could have bought in 2004 for $250k is $750k now, they think they got "fucked" by the "system" and greedy landlords, etc.

I have lost count how many people I have seen at work muttering about how they can't even retire now because of how fucked they are. A couple times I tried to point out that they should have bought a place and all I get is "EASY FOR YOU TO SAY" attitude back lolol
Yup. I get the anger from the 20-something and even early 30's crowd about the state of things today, I think they really did lose the birth year lottery...

But the people in our age cohort who complain, who had the opportunity to at least put their foot into real estate pool but didn't because either they couldn't handle the idea of any risk AT ALL and/or were sold on the idea of that some big imminent crash was going to happen (looking at you 4444, still so glad I didn't listen to that guy) gambled and lost. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for those people.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:23 AM   #29780
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,978 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I also have family there and could work from there without quitting my job so there are things that make it appealing to me. I'm originally from the prairies but the winters are not something I'd look forward to because I hate snow.
If you're still working it's different, same with having family there. Moving there right as you retire and now have more time than ever just seems like an odd time to do it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 11:04 AM   #29781

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
With the yearly speculation and vacancy tax declaration arriving I again ask myself, how is this program not completed when we pay our property taxes?

I think I might know the answer, property taxes are by the city and this is a Provincial thing but seriously, seems so redundant and a waste of money to police.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 11:26 AM   #29782
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,757 Times in 913 Posts
^ bekuze Canada, why do I have to declare, it's my house, I can do what ever the fuck I want with it. Rights and freedoms bro. Damn communists
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 11:43 AM   #29783
Performance Moderator

This looks like a great house to start a buddyguy farm with... 5 bedrooms, can double up in those for sure... 2 driveways for all the shitboxes/work vehicles, even has an inexplicable roll-up door in the backyard that goes nowhere?

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nk-drive-delta

Yours for $1.7M!! Charging 10+ rents you can easily cover the mortgage. Bathtub statues may or may not be included.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:57 AM   #29784
private modder

Thanked 2,654 Times in 743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Everyone wants full control over their property though and you can only truly achieve that with land and a detached house on it.

Apartments are not an issue per se, but living with a condo/strata corporation sucks. No one wants to pay for maintenance, people treat the common property like garbage (literally), the strata has to insure itself to the hilt because people do stupid things.

I've lived in strata corporations for most of my life and I've been on the board. It just sucks.
That's why I became president. Yes sometimes I want to pull my hair out, but no decisions are made without my input and approval. And it allows me to protect our personal investment in our condo from some nutbar messing it up.

President comes with perks too in that I can drive the creation of bylaws and rules and get to decide how they are enforced as a whole.

Our goal is still to move into a detached home, but that's purely because we need and want more space and a back yard, and less to do with the idea of living in a strata.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 01:28 PM   #29785
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,413 Times in 3,480 Posts
The buddy guy situation has been happening since the start of immigration. Be it the Irish the Italians or the Indians.

Just signed the paperwork for Condo Sale. Purchase price $199000 15 years ago. For some reason I had a 15 year mortgage that I paid off last year. Sold for $457000.
Old 01-26-2024, 01:46 PM   #29786
Performance Moderator

Congrats on the sale!
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 03:00 PM   #29787

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,197 Posts
Quote:
This looks like a great house to start a buddyguy farm with... 5 bedrooms, can double up in those for sure... 2 driveways for all the shitboxes/work vehicles, even has an inexplicable roll-up door in the backyard that goes nowhere?

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nk-drive-delta

Yours for $1.7M!! Charging 10+ rents you can easily cover the mortgage. Bathtub statues may or may not be included.
Looking at the pictures, I lost count of the number of beds I saw...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 03:15 PM   #29788

Thanked 4,861 Times in 1,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
That's why I became president. Yes sometimes I want to pull my hair out, but no decisions are made without my input and approval. And it allows me to protect our personal investment in our condo from some nutbar messing it up.

President comes with perks too in that I can drive the creation of bylaws and rules and get to decide how they are enforced as a whole.

Our goal is still to move into a detached home, but that's purely because we need and want more space and a back yard, and less to do with the idea of living in a strata.
That's a good strategy.

One of my buddies did the same thing for the same reasons. He bought early into a presale in Maple Ridge a bunch of years ago (somewhere around 2009/10). The first thing he did was become the first strata president.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 03:55 PM   #29789

How much work does those guys have to do? Like it sounds like a full time job with no pay. Like who sends out the monthly minutes, are you constantly bombarded by issue? Deal with Karen's, lawyers? Set up meetings and votes.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:40 PM   #29790
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
But the people in our age cohort who complain, who had the opportunity to at least put their foot into real estate pool but didn't because either they couldn't handle the idea of any risk AT ALL and/or were sold on the idea of that some big imminent crash was going to happen (looking at you 4444, still so glad I didn't listen to that guy) gambled and lost. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for those people.
i mean no one knew what's coming..a pandemic where beater cars are suddenly 2.5x more?

let's say since at least 2010 to like 2017 rent like apt prices were also pretty plateau

those who feel the real squeeze now will definitely be a bit more vocal, what's sad is that housing is so dominant in our day-to-day conversation as canadians..damn is it like this in sydney and hk?

it feels a bit like that in sf where people are killing it income-wise but still can be 50-60% going to rent, how can that not be a downer for even homeowners seeing colleagues/relatives suffering
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:50 PM   #29791
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
those who feel the real squeeze now will definitely be a bit more vocal, what's sad is that housing is so dominant in our day-to-day conversation as canadians..damn is it like this in sydney and hk?

it feels a bit like that in sf where people are killing it income-wise but still can be 50-60% going to rent, how can that not be a downer for even homeowners seeing colleagues/relatives suffering
In HK's case I think home ownership has been out of reach for so long that a whole generation grew up not expecting it. People are also less vocal because the government does try to provide different forms of public housing to help with the issue.

I interned in Hong Kong a while ago and one day a few coworkers talked about home ownership prospects. For them, the salary covered all of their expenses including some savings, but whatever they save wasn't enough to cover a down payment for a modest home (300-400sqft) given how fast prices were climbing at the time. They seem to blame themselves for not doing better in their career, and in the womens' case, failing to find a wealthy husband or husband with a wealthy family as well (lol)

EDIT: Looks like SCMP just released a video talking about HK housing:

Last edited by radeonboy; 01-26-2024 at 10:02 PM.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 07:16 PM   #29792
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,632 Times in 4,355 Posts
HK is straight up brutal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Now if only Hehe would pull his cock from his mouth.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 07:29 PM   #29793
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
google tracking my keystrokes and suggested this video

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 08:06 PM   #29794
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,434 Times in 5,688 Posts
Good vid from Canadian brain washing corp

lol in all seriousness though that’s a very good visual representation. 63% of Canadian who don’t currently own a home have given up on the thought of home ownership? Ouch
Old 01-26-2024, 09:35 PM   #29795
Need to Seek Professional Help

It’s liberating when you stop pining for something you can’t get. Half serious.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2024, 07:38 AM   #29796

Haven't watched any of the vids but Canadas not so great anymore eh
Old 01-27-2024, 09:08 AM   #29797
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,778 Times in 712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
google tracking my keystrokes and suggested this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlS4Nb1-g4U
Damn. Every time I see Andrew Chang, I get so proud. He's like the perfect Asian boy every Asian family dreams of. haha

My mom adores this guy!
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-27-2024, 10:44 AM   #29798
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
david fairbairn was pretty good when i used him years ago. i'd use him again if needed.

https://fairbairninspections.com/
Wanted to follow-up. We had our inspection and called up David Fairbairn. I originally texted him but he told me to call the same number that goes to the office. Booking him was straight forward and it cost $599 + GST (save GST if you're paying cash).

He arrived on time and started work right away. He asked me if there was anything in particular that I was concerned about and I let know what I had in my notes. He took pictures of everything and went through the house via a checklist (he has a sample report on his website and you can view what it looks like there). He has a thermal camera which showed temp readings for everything from windows to the breaker. He spent around 2 hours to complete the inspection (duplex).

He was thorough in his inspection and was quick to use painter tape to identify blemishes. I found his comments about the home/equipment insightful and as a result of his observations, we created an addendum of things for the seller to fix. He also had some heads up comments about how to use what, when, etc...

Overall, I was pleased with the work and would recommend/use him again.

Thanks for the recommendation, GLOW!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2024, 03:12 PM   #29799
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Damn. Every time I see Andrew Chang, I get so proud. He's like the perfect Asian boy every Asian family dreams of. haha

My mom adores this guy!
He might have turned out that way and really did well but if you were in your 20's and you told Ma and Pa you wanted to go into journalism and not Dentistry, Medicine, Engineering, or Lawyer ... not sure if he would have been the darling of every Asian parents .
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2024, 05:43 PM   #29800
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,778 Times in 712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
He might have turned out that way and really did well but if you were in your 20's and you told Ma and Pa you wanted to go into journalism and not Dentistry, Medicine, Engineering, or Lawyer ... not sure if he would have been the darling of every Asian parents .
100 percent. They hated his career choice until he made it big, i'm sure.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: