REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Follow-up to Kony 2012

Last night I watch Jason Russell's first interview (Oprah) since his break-down. It was pretty eye opening and understandable that he totally lost it.

After the broadcast had ended they released a new mini-doc about Kony, Invisible Children, and Jason.

Though some of you may be interested.

Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Jason Russell was showcased as a fraud in front of the entire world.

Facing that amount of pressure and shame, I'd probably have a mental lapse, strip naked and run through the streets as well.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

*gets popcorn, sits back and waits for the revscene hate brigade*
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Like I said, it was a really eye opening interview. Everyone literally turned to this guy to save humanity.

He was personally attacked, his charity was attacked, and everything this guy had been doing for the last 9 years was put on display to be judged and ridiculed.

Like you said, anyone one of us would have been pushed into psychosis. The rise and fall of Kony 2012 was astounding.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
^Well here it is. No one gives a fuck. It was a crock of shit when it came out, it's a crock of shit now.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

And the ones who really fell for it..

Interesting
Posted via RS Mobile
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Like I said, it was a really eye opening interview. Everyone literally turned to this guy to save humanity.

He was personally attacked, his charity was attacked, and everything this guy had been doing for the last 9 years was put on display to be judged and ridiculed.

Like you said, anyone one of us would have been pushed into psychosis. The rise and fall of Kony 2012 was astounding.
There's a reason why the video is closed to commenting and likes.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
People showed up to support the cause as fast as they forgot about it. I have a feeling if IC tries to bring attention to the issue again, it'll either repeat the cycle, or get nowhere at all because of the public masturbation, etc.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:

I think that was his perception of the situation, but from watching that interview I gathered that he was a sycophantic fame whore who finally got his big "break" by exploiting a universally detestable figure in a part of the world where westerners believe that "bad stuff" happens on a constant basis.

When they played the footage of him and his friends in Africa during their first trip they were talking about the "cover of Newsweek" which initially made me a little suspicious. Then when I heard, later on in the interview, that he was an actor in his early life, and went to school for film making, and was talking about the Nobel Peace Prize, I made up my mind.

The guy retold the same story over 9 years in an effort to exploit white guilt to bring himself into the spotlight. Hes a bigger attention whore than Alex Jones who may have the same MO, but has the wherewithal to take criticism.

He grew up in an upper-middle class bubble, went to the University of Spoiled Children, and has used everything from religion to politics to put his name into the mouths of people around the world.

Why not focus on the positive changes charities make through donations around the world? Why not go to the homes and schools that were built with money from the pockets of concerned people who have money to give and say "Hey, this is what your money did. Please give so everyone can have this kind of chance in life".

He found a niche. He ran with it. He thought people would go into his house, hoist him on his shoulders and make him a god. The disappointment of critical thinking on the part of people who wanted to hold him accountable for massive amounts of money was too much for him, and he lost it.

I have no respect for Jason Russell because he is far more transparent than the "charity" he created.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
And the ones who really fell for it..

Interesting
Posted via RS Mobile
To play devil's advocate....fell for what?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I think that was his perception of the situation, but from watching that interview I gathered that he was a sycophantic fame whore who finally got his big "break" by exploiting a universally detestable figure in a part of the world where westerners believe that "bad stuff" happens on a constant basis.

When they played the footage of him and his friends in Africa during their first trip they were talking about the "cover of Newsweek" which initially made me a little suspicious. Then when I heard, later on in the interview, that he was an actor in his early life, and went to school for film making, and was talking about the Nobel Peace Prize, I made up my mind.

The guy retold the same story over 9 years in an effort to exploit white guilt to bring himself into the spotlight. Hes a bigger attention whore than Alex Jones who may have the same MO, but has the wherewithal to take criticism.

He grew up in an upper-middle class bubble, went to the University of Spoiled Children, and has used everything from religion to politics to put his name into the mouths of people around the world.

Why not focus on the positive changes charities make through donations around the world? Why not go to the homes and schools that were built with money from the pockets of concerned people who have money to give and say "Hey, this is what your money did. Please give so everyone can have this kind of chance in life".

He found a niche. He ran with it. He thought people would go into his house, hoist him on his shoulders and make him a god. The disappointment of critical thinking on the part of people who wanted to hold him accountable for massive amounts of money was too much for him, and he lost it.

I have no respect for Jason Russell because he is far more transparent than the "charity" he created.
Yeah, on last night's interview he talked a lot about his ego and how that was literally the cause of his collapse.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

Its going to be alright everybody. Thanks to the original Kony 2012 video the USA was finally able to fully commit to Uganda and kick out the Chinese investment that had become prominent since oil was found in the country a few years prior!

'Merica
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
resident Oil Guru

The Kony 2012 Scam And Why You Should STOP Supporting 'Invisible Children'
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
'Merica

Chinese investment that would probably bring some much needed infrastructure to the region thanks to locally invested money. Thanks to Jason Russell's knee-jerk reaction, people got involved by calling their senators, who in turn had to look good on CSPAN to ensure their re-election so they "did something about it" by passing bills and resolutions and what not, therefore pushing China out of the area and keeping that region poor.

Honestly, if I were to call up Academi (formerly Blackwater) or a similar company to get a quote on what it would take to bring down Kony for good, posted that number on a website and took donations to reach that number I'd hit it. You know why? Because it would be a clear means to an end.

Even if you didn't like my methods, I'd have a number that would be clear enough to hit and my methods would be transparent enough to know that your donation went towards something. A finite dollar amount that would fix a problem decisively, rather than some pandering "hopes and dreams" company that has overhead in fancy films, t-shirts, and stickers.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

I find this whole Kony thing interesting and honestly have yet come to a consensus on where I land on the issue.

What I do find the most intriguing is everything that is happening around Kony. Social media, news media, IC, Jason Russell, the sharp rise and fall of popularity, how fast people forget, etc.

Its all fascinating.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Fame is gold these days
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I also found the whole thing interesting to watch, as a bystander.

Here's what I found interesting about the whole interview last night...shocker! he's got a new video to schlep around.

Dude, you're done. You can keep on making videos, and releasing them to the world, but your days of collecting money are over. There is ALWAYS going to be an asterisk next to your name. And while you think the asterisk is "sometimes comes unglued and runs around naked and possibly masterbates publicly" And who doesn't, but I think the asterisk is going to be "so what?" So you need money, but that money really only puts you up in a pretty sweet looking house and jets you around on speaking tours and African safaris. You had possibly one of the most successful viral videos on the web, and asked for a return from the viewers. And no one showed up.

You're done.

I would have preferred less talk about his nakedness and more talk about his non-profit organization that got him there. Let's ask some hard questions like, "why should we be listening to you?" and..."where does the money go?" Let's actually get into what caused you to come unglued...people called you a sham, and you didn't know what to do with that. Yet, you have an opportunity, and you didn't let her ask you any questions about WHY people thought you were a sham to begin with.

Yeah, you got the youth to be interested in a problem that doesn't affect them personally. Um, so what? Are they still with you?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
this is basically a syndrome, it goes across many different fields, I have a prime example that happened in my own neighborhood

this convicted "balcony rapist" named Paul Cowell moved into his relatives house right across from an elementary school, there was this hugeeee uproar from all the housewives in the neighborhood who had all the time in the world to protest in front of the guys house all day long demanding him to move, for the government to do somthing etc. after 2 weeks nothing was done, he wasnt forced to move and he remained living in this house across from the elemantary school

me and my buddies occasionally played football at the schools field so we knew all about the guy and after playing having a couple beers we always joked that we were the only ones that remembered the guys name, so one day i saw one of the women who was like #1 ring leader of the whole protest, we kinda are aquaintances so we chit chatted and i finally asked her, "so how's paul cowell doing these days i wonder?"

her response? who's paul cowell

idiots hop on board on bandwagons thinking they are going to save the world by texting a number to donate $1, Kony only proved that the general population are all idiots who cant think beyond what their eyes see
Old 10-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

The thing I don't have a problem with is people donating money...save the dogs, feed a child, stop seal clubbing, advance cancer research, put a kid in sports, stop child slaves, bring back the dodo bird...its all the same shit and you and I are not to judge who donates to what cause/charity/foundation whether it be $1 or $100,000. I really doesn't matter.

But why IC? What made IC and Kony a household name? The youtube video? Jason's charisma? The catchy logo?

Why the outpouring of support coupled with the cutting criticism? Like I said, I find the whole thing fascinating...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
You can't save Africa.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Chinese investment that would probably bring some much needed infrastructure to the region thanks to locally invested money. Thanks to Jason Russell's knee-jerk reaction, people got involved by calling their senators, who in turn had to look good on CSPAN to ensure their re-election so they "did something about it" by passing bills and resolutions and what not, therefore pushing China out of the area and keeping that region poor.

Honestly, if I were to call up Academi (formerly Blackwater) or a similar company to get a quote on what it would take to bring down Kony for good, posted that number on a website and took donations to reach that number I'd hit it. You know why? Because it would be a clear means to an end.

Even if you didn't like my methods, I'd have a number that would be clear enough to hit and my methods would be transparent enough to know that your donation went towards something. A finite dollar amount that would fix a problem decisively, rather than some pandering "hopes and dreams" company that has overhead in fancy films, t-shirts, and stickers.
Yes this is true. I was also being sarcastic in my post; rereading mine I wasn't sure if I was clear.

Also supposedly Kony hasn't been seen in 7 years now. Last references they had of him, he wasn't even in Uganda.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
You can't save Africa.
Sig'ed.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
You can't save Africa.
But you can line your pocket with it..
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #24
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Wow they're still trying to milk the Kony crap. I didn't even know you could donate money through YouTube.
dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
But you can line your pocket with it..
Missions to Somalia, Rwanda, Eritrea, Congo, Rwanda (again), Mozambique, and Congo (again) are all missions that the UN and Canada (if not all) have taken part in the continent of Africa. Some lasted years. It isn't just financial aid, civil support, infrastructure rebuilding and yet more financial aid/grants that will help the people there. They must want too as well. You can throw good money after bad for years to come, yet until fundamental changes from the top to bottom and back up again happen very little will happen. Best thing we can do right now is put a big wall around Africa, drop in lots of guns and ammo, and stay the fuck away.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: