REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #51
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
My monthly bills are about 2300$ (1800 rent, 170 cell, the rest is various utilities and services) I own my vehicles, pay insurance for the year up front, and don't have any loans.

Work expenses are around 2k/month. (Mostly travel)

I gross about $30,000/month and pay a relatively low tax rate on capital gains with the first 32k being tax free dividend income.

So all said and done, I probably save about $20,000/month

Yes I know my income is slightly retarded, but I'm smart enough that I don't live a matching retarded lifestyle.

I should mention that my career path has more or less destroyed my social life.

save 20,000 a month. did i read that right?
gross 30k a month?

you make 360k per year? What do you do?
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murmur View Post
Being an unemployed graduate, I went through a period with only $50 in my account (and looking for jobs at the same time).

I am lucky to have a job I love now, and I am particular with how much money I save per month.

Monthly income (after tax): $2300

I live with my family so I don't pay rent:
Monthly expense: $700
Save: $600
Spend the rest.

How much do you save per month?
So technically, your monthly expense is $1700.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizo View Post
My guess would most likely be an engineer out in Fort Mc Murray. I've got some friends working out there grossing almost half that (in relative terms, it's still a lot!).

It also doesn't hurt when jasonturbo is making a killing in the stock market (check the "Stock Market" thread)
First of all, me and the stock market haven't really been seeing eye to eye lately lol.

Fort McMurray Work has taken me all over Canada but I have spent most of my time in the Mac.

Engineer... not so much, I have no post secondary. My background is NDT/Inspection but I have more recently transitioned into a project management role. This is not a typical of the industry for someone in NDT to move into a PM role, I just happen to be very good at taking the clients money. I manage the indirect hires (Engineers, coordinators, inspectors, purchasers, etc), we focus mainly on planning and supporting the construction side (direct hires - people that physically affect the work), it's like adult babysitting. Right now I have about a dozen people who report to me.

My day rate is just shy of $1400 gross, I also get to bill from home as I see fit, I am pretty good at what I do and senior management more or less just leaves me alone as they are terrified of me quitting. I am the highest paid person on site with this company, and probably in the top 3% of the industry as a whole. It gets very hard to make more money once you break the 1000$/day mark, but on the bright side it only took about 4 years to hit that number.

Now before you pack your suitcase and head North, understand that the results I observed in this industry should not be considered typical.. it's a result of hard work, meeting the right people, and whole lot of dumb luck.

When the industry slows down you will find me serving coffee at Tim Hortons.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #54
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
First of all, me and the stock market haven't really been seeing eye to eye lately lol.

Fort McMurray Work has taken me all over Canada but I have spent most of my time in the Mac.

Engineer... not so much, I have no post secondary. My background is NDT/Inspection but I have more recently transitioned into a project management role. This is not a typical of the industry for someone in NDT to move into a PM role, I just happen to be very good at taking the clients money. I manage the indirect hires (Engineers, coordinators, inspectors, purchasers, etc), we focus mainly on planning and supporting the construction side (direct hires - people that physically affect the work), it's like adult babysitting. Right now I have about a dozen people who report to me.

My day rate is just shy of $1400 gross, I also get to bill from home as I see fit, I am pretty good at what I do and senior management more or less just leaves me alone as they are terrified of me quitting. I am the highest paid person on site with this company, and probably in the top 3% of the industry as a whole. It gets very hard to make more money once you break the 1000$/day mark, but on the bright side it only took about 4 years to hit that number.

Now before you pack your suitcase and head North, understand that the results I observed in this industry should not be considered typical.. it's a result of hard work, meeting the right people, and whole lot of dumb luck.

mad respect to you for making the money you do, working hard for it, and still sounding very humble. congrats
roughmandamn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #55
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
My monthly savings are $200 and they go straight into my TFSA.

The reasons why my current savings are so low are that I'm currently contributing to a pension program and I'm pursuing part-time studies.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Tapioca; 11-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #56
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:

geezus.. hook me up bro. i went to college for 5 years and still unemployed..
jordanwong is offline   Reply With Quote