REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
heres another positive story,

Young kids these days dont give up seat for the elderly...
Many times ive seen kids in the teens that see an elderly person walking on, then looks down to play on the damn phone.. WTF...

oh wait.. thats... not... positive...
everyone's so judgemental these days

Just because they are young and appears able-bodied, doesn't mean they can't have a disabilitating condition

You can mess up your back and appear healthy.
Advertisement

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-14-2012 at 05:08 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
LOL transit stories won't do shit, better off collecting off data and see if people are happier or not.

What is your funding target? Just more money for transit doesn't mean much... even if you get more money for translink/TTC, they can just use the money for their Taj Mahal at Metrotown.
When you have a client, and it's also for school, you don't have a choice of what you have to do.

rsx I think was the only person to have anything positive to say about Vancouver's transit system which isn't surprising since I find it isn't the greatest as well whenever I am in town. BUT, you would be surprised how many people talk how great Vancouver's transit system is once you leave BC.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #28
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
I am not saying it's bad but there's no accountability in the system. I rather have a shitty system with good accountability than a good system with zero accountability. Funding doesn't do much unless it says what it's targeted for and is monitored that the funding actually funding the target.

I hope you are not just picking good stories and dropping the bad ones, no one likes a biased advisor

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Can we just change this thread to awesome bus stories? Since clearly transit has no positives besides the fact you could jump on the back of a 99 before without paying.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
a couple of us stated the convenience of commuting downtown, especially when living by a station. the other benefit is when one of my friends who regularly visits can just skytrain from the airport to my house in under an hour with relative ease and low cost.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #31
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Not aiming to be put in your infomercial but my honest opinion is that I enjoy using the Canada Line to travel downtown rather than driving because it saves me gas, time, and mileage (I'd rather get some reading done than spend it sitting in traffic). However, I have a different opinion about taking the bus because I'd rather drive in most cases.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
I am not saying it's bad but there's no accountability in the system. I rather have a shitty system with good accountability than a good system with zero accountability. Funding doesn't do much unless it says what it's targeted for and is monitored that the funding actually funding the target.

I hope you are not just picking good stories and dropping the bad ones, no one likes a biased advisor
I totally hear you, but that's more of the job of Translink/Metrolinx to be accountable for where the funding is going. My client is an NGO that is advocating for transit and better transit options, so negative stories wouldn't really look great for the campaign. Their hope is to get people who aren't on board with transit to see the positives, even if it means getting people off the roads and and having more room for those who would rather drive to have an easier commute.

Since they built the Canada Line, maybe traffic has gotten better along Cambie/Granville? I don't know for sure but that would be my hope.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #33
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
I totally hear you, but that's more of the job of Translink/Metrolinx to be accountable for where the funding is going. My client is an NGO that is advocating for transit and better transit options, so negative stories wouldn't really look great for the campaign. Their hope is to get people who aren't on board with transit to see the positives, even if it means getting people off the roads and and having more room for those who would rather drive to have an easier commute.

Since they built the Canada Line, maybe traffic has gotten better along Cambie/Granville? I don't know for sure but that would be my hope.
When I lived in Langley and had courses at UBC, I was able to transit to campus in approximately a hour and thirty minutes. Driving would have taken moderately less time, but it would have been a hour and fifteen minutes of infuriating congestion; as opposed to an opportunity to review notes prior to lecture, and catch up with friends on the phone on the way home. Of course, the most significant benefit was the cost savings. Driving my Civic the gas for the trip would have cost me $15 and parking another $14 each day, whereas my UPass cost me only $40 a month. I had a number of friends attending UBC while living in Langley, and even more friends attending SFU, who all shared the experience.

Vancouverites are a bitter bunch who passionately complain about everything, but never consider that we do have it better than a lot of other major cities within Canada. I can't imagine how Vancouver would have developed if the Skytrain had not been established, can you imagine the only route to Downtown from Surrey, Richmond, Coquitlam, New West, being a bus? Scary thought how inefficient that would be. My trip to UBC and my friends trips to SFU would be exponentially longer, so much longer that transit may not have been a reasonable option, but driving being cost-prohibitive, we would have be rather fucked.

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Vancouverites are a bitter bunch who passionately complain about everything, but never consider that we do have it better than a lot of other major cities within Canada.
Sounds like something somebody from langley would say just because they cant afford vancouver.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #35
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird79_00 View Post
Sounds like something somebody from langley would say just because they cant afford vancouver.
When I say Vancouverites, I am referring to all residents of the Lower Mainland.

The price of rent in Langley is on par with Vancouver, so your comment has no validity. I paid $950 for my place in Langley, and I could have found a comparable place in Vancouver for the same price without difficulty. I chose to live in Langley, I was not forced to by financial restraints.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #36
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
everyone's so judgemental these days

Just because they are young and appears able-bodied, doesn't mean they can't have a disabilitating condition

You can mess up your back and appear healthy.
This was me.
I had my big toe joint swollen for a long time and it hurts just to be even wearing shoes let alone standing in it but no one wouldve known until i told them.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird79_00 View Post
hes actually completely right. op askd that if anyone has some poaitive stories they shud contact him and sign a waivor. instead people publically post stuff (not really what he asked) and take it as an opportunity to bitch. vancouverites, especially gvrd, will take any opportunity to whine and complain and be negative. then when someone calls them out, they do what u did and act elite

isnt there already a bitch about translunk thread?
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #38

Well when there something wrong with the way something works/happens your not gonna cheer and go YAY lets fuck it up more because the world really needs more bullshit and stupid fucks. And the way shit works around here no shit sherlock no ones gonna be fucking cheering.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
funny story at the bus recently, some kid fat lady weighing around 300 pounds gave up her front seat and asked a grumpy elderly lady around the age of 70 to take hers, the old lady screamed "BUT YOUR ASS IS BIGGER THAN MINE" in mean and loud fashion. The fat nice woman was like and stood beside the bus driver embarrassed

the whole bus was like

fuking lol'd
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #40
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
I had to take the bus for exactly 20 days for work when I lost my lisence long time ago,

and let me tell you this,

I would rather off myself than ever take transit again.

I cant tell you how many times the buss closed its doors on me, and I literally fucking ran beside the bus on the sidewalk to make it to the next stop, and this was only 20 fucking days without my car.

How do people stand that shit on a daily basis, id go crazy dealing with transit.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #41
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^First world problem
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #42
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
I had to take the bus for exactly 20 days for work when I lost my lisence long time ago,

and let me tell you this,

I would rather off myself than ever take transit again.

I cant tell you how many times the buss closed its doors on me, and I literally fucking ran beside the bus on the sidewalk to make it to the next stop, and this was only 20 fucking days without my car.

How do people stand that shit on a daily basis, id go crazy dealing with transit.
Either get to your next stop ahead of time or run faster. Sounds like you are the one trying to keep a bus full of people waiting.

/pwned

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #43
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Either get to your next stop ahead of time or run faster. Sounds like you are the one trying to keep a bus full of people waiting.

/pwned
What if he did go early but the bus was even earlier?(which is very common with translink btw)

Translink is a joke. And though i agree that vancouverites are hipsters who like to complain, asking about something positive about translink is like asking what are the positives of having child molesters in society.

that may have been too extreme but i truly believe the bitching about translink is because its actually bad. It could have to do with me being asian and experiencing a couple of the best systems in the world but why shouldnt i expect that from vancouver? it doesnt match up with the level that the rest of vancouver is at.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #44
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
^ this, sometimes the buss would arrive 5-10 minutes early, sometimes the bus would arrive 5-10 minutes late,

so you literally need to be 20 minutes early to your stop, then the bus shows up 10 minutes late, and your sitting there for 30 minutes.

what a fuckin nightmare.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #45

Pretty much what drunkrussian said, if anyone wants to actually submit their story lemme know through PM, but I understand that most people would rather not.

I think most of us on this forum are privileged that we have one or more cars at our disposal at any time, and we have the options of whether we want to drive or take transit on a daily basis. But a lot of people don't have that option and rely on transit.

I'm hoping we reach a point where transit is good enough that people would prefer to take transit because its the better option, and use their cars as recreational activities. I was in Germany over the summer and transit is just ingrained in people's lives. A guy I met works downtown, takes the train into town Mon-Fri and on weekends take his BMW out for fun. He has it as his toy.

Metro Vancouver is not there yet, Toronto is a bit closer if you look at the city proper, but still has a long way to go as well.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #46
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
What if he did go early but the bus was even earlier?(which is very common with translink btw)

Translink is a joke. And though i agree that vancouverites are hipsters who like to complain, asking about something positive about translink is like asking what are the positives of having child molesters in society.

that may have been too extreme but i truly believe the bitching about translink is because its actually bad. It could have to do with me being asian and experiencing a couple of the best systems in the world but why shouldnt i expect that from vancouver? it doesnt match up with the level that the rest of vancouver is at.
I've found the bus would usually be within five minutes plus or minus the scheduled departure time, but I digress..

Why shouldn't Greater Vancouver's transit system be compared to the best systems in the world?

It's not possible to operate a transit system as efficiently in Greater Vancouver as Hong Kong, it's not a reasonable comparison.

Population density of Greater Vancouver: 802.5/km2.
Population density of Hong Kong: 6,480/km2
Total land area of Greater Vancouver: 2,877 kmē
Total land area of Hong Kong: 1,104 kmē

If you were to spend some time in cities comparable to Vancouver in terms of PD and LA and compare transit systems, you'd probably find yourself with a more positive opinion of Translink.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #47
J89
RS controls my life!

I haven't skytrained since 2007 =P I remember it was full of dirty sweaty ppl lol
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #48
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i dont know if i have to many positive things to say about transit...
i mean it works if you are on a budget or in a super congested area, but otherwise its a hassle, you live somewhere less congested that means u have less transit service, when i lived in cloverdale/langley there were local bus routes that only ran on the hour till 6pm! once it stopped the next closest route was an extra 30 min walk, that wasnt so bad in mild weather, but mid summer or mid winter wasnt so exciting.

asides the poor schedule for alot of these areas it comes with the people that use transit, yes alot of students, but that also leaves alot of people on a budget sometimes a very tight budget and that mean in a new class of person, usualy the type of person that dosnt give a shit about your personal space, and if anyone knows what its like to be surrounded by drunk assholes, people that forgot to shower for days or just loud inconsiderate people. it all adds up to making transit very unappealing

im not into politics and obviously saying that more run times, and extended service "especially skytrains" is easier said than done, but it seems to be the solution
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #49
Need my Daily Fix of RS

i had horrible experience with translink

mainly because of:
- buses (especially 410) that are not on-time, even if i am taking the earlier bus, they never arrive on-time

- shitty customer service: i was taking the 145 bus to SFU (from Production Skytrain Station to SFU), there was no bus for 45 mins. i phoned the customer service to ask why there are no buses (usually there is a bus for every 13 minute), customer service said: "there is a problem at port mann bridge".

i told her "port mann bridge and sfu are very far away, i don't see how they are related", she continued to repeated "port mann bridge is having problem, that's why".
i hope someone working in translink can answer that question.

- oh not to mention, the expo/millenium lines that delays for no reason
Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #50
RS controls my life!

Yall haters should look at some other north american cities in the public transportation market. Hell look at Seattle. That metro has a million people on us and they have buses and a monorail that goes nowhere. Edmonton is terrible, why even take a bus or the train when driving is more convenient? Calgary has the exact same problem. Montreal is probably the only city where public transportation is better in canada. I'm probably being bias, We're in the top 10 in ridership, surrounded by cities 3 times our size, and systems that have been working for decades longer then us. You can be nitpickish all you want, but in atlanta, a city of 5 million people, they don't even have bus lines to certain suburbs the size of richmond.

You can be nitpickish about kids not giving up their seat, the wait times(Seriously, 15 minutes is small potatoes. When I lived in edmonton some buses came every half an hour at 8p.m), the cost(Most of europe costs double ours according to vancouversun), the smelly people, the cramped quarters and the crying babies. all of this is normal crap for any transit system on the planet. Eventually driving will be so costly the rich can get it, then you will have to deal with all this small crap non stop.

My biggest issue with this cities transit... The people who hate it. Be grateful you can actually get to most of the city with it.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: