REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Scotland to vote on leaving UK in 2014 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675255-scotland-vote-leaving-uk-2014-a.html)

StylinRed 10-15-2012 07:03 PM

Scotland to vote on leaving UK in 2014

Kind of big news here

BBC News - Scottish independence: Cameron and Salmond strike referendum deal

Quote:

Scottish independence: Cameron and Salmond strike referendum deal

A deal setting out terms for a Scottish independence referendum has been signed by Prime Minister David Cameron and First Minister Alex Salmond.

The agreement, struck in Edinburgh, has paved the way for a vote in autumn 2014, with a single Yes/No question on Scotland leaving the UK.

It will also allow 16 and 17-year-olds to take part in the ballot.

The SNP secured a mandate to hold the referendum after its landslide Scottish election win last year.

The UK government, which has responsibility over constitutional issues, will grant limited powers to the Scottish Parliament to hold a legal referendum, under a mechanism called Section 30.

The deal will also commit both governments to working together constructively in the best interests of the people of Scotland, whatever the outcome of the referendum.

Mr Salmond said the agreement would mean a referendum "made in Scotland", while the prime minister said keeping the United Kingdom together was his number one priority.

The deal will provide for:

A statutory order to be legislated at Westminster, granting Holyrood powers to hold a single-question independence referendum by the end of 2014 and covering other issues like campaign broadcasts.
A "memorandum of agreement" to be signed by political leaders confirming the details of the referendum will be settled at Holyrood.
A significant role for the Electoral Commission watchdog in advising on the wording of the question, the running of the referendum and areas including campaign finance.
A possible second question on greater powers has been dropped.

Speaking after the deal was signed at the headquarters of the Scottish government, St Andrew's House, the prime minister told BBC News: "This is the right decision for Scotland.

Real arguments

But it's also right for the United Kingdom that there is going to be one, simple, straightforward question about whether Scotland wants to stay in the United Kingdom or separate itself from the United Kingdom, and that referendum has to be held before the end of 2014.

"I always wanted to show respect to the people of Scotland - they voted for a party that wanted to have a referendum, I've made that referendum possible and made sure that it is decisive, it is legal and it is fair."

Mr Cameron added: "Now we've dealt with the process, we should get on with the real arguments, and I passionately believe Scotland will be better off in the United Kingdom but also, crucially, the United Kingdom will be better off with Scotland."

Mr Salmond said the deal, which he described as the "Edinburgh Agreement", paved the way for the most important political decision Scotland had made in several hundred years.

He added: "It is in that sense a historic day for Scotland and I think a major step forward in Scotland's home rule journey.

"The Edinburgh Agreement means that we will have a referendum in two years' time which will be built and made in the Scottish Parliament on behalf of the Scottish people. I think that is a substantial and important step forward."

Mr Salmond said the respective campaigns could now move on from discussion over process and "get on with the substantive arguments".

He went on: "Do I believe that independence will win this campaign? Yes I do. And I believe we will win it by setting out a positive vision for a better future for our country, both economically and, crucially, also socially.

"It is that vision of a prosperous and compassionate society, a confident society moving forward in Scotland, which will carry the day."

When asked whether he had an exact date in mind for the referendum, and whether he would share it, Mr Salmond replied: "Yes, and no".

He said the Scottish government had still to publish the results of its consultation on the referendum, which would happen in the "near future".

The deal was negotiated between Scottish Secretary Michael Moore, a Liberal Democrat MP, and Scotland's deputy first minister, Nicola Sturgeon.

Scottish Labour leader Johann Lamont said she was pleased a deal had been reached, adding: "Alex Salmond has the right to ask the question and now people have right to answer it.

"But we cannot allow this debate to distract from some of the real problems being faced by families in Scotland, things the SNP could act on now."

"Alex Salmond offers people only one solution to Scotland's problems - a referendum on independence - but his timetable makes us wait another two years to have our say."

go to link for more

Vansterdam 10-15-2012 07:10 PM

next up quebec voting to leave canada? :troll:

punkwax 10-15-2012 07:16 PM

UK economy in the shitter.

Scot's think to themselves, "Aack, we hardlay spend a pennay. We're better off on ourrrr oooown."

twitchyzero 10-15-2012 07:16 PM

http://web.li.gatech.edu/~rdrury/500...torical/02.jpg

rsx 10-15-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8055887)

Scot's think to themselves, "Aack, we hardlay spend a pennay. We're better off on ourrrr oooown."

http://www.bletherskite.net/wp-conte...er-willie1.jpg

StylinRed 10-15-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8055887)

that and they've wanted autonomy for ages

broken_arrow 10-15-2012 10:09 PM

Ed Miliband attacks Jeremy Clarkson over his stance on Scottish independence | Mail Online

From the article: "Mr Clarkson used his newspaper column in January to proclaim: ‘If the Scottish people want to break away, then I shall stand on Hadrian’s Wall with a teary handkerchief, and say, “Good riddance to the lot of you, and take your stupid bagpipes with you”." :rofl::rofl::rofl:

broken_arrow 10-15-2012 10:14 PM

On a serious note, I lived in England for quite a while and I love BOTH, England and Scotland to death. All politics aside, the two countries have been together for centuries! The amount of history that they share is paramount. It would be said to see Scotland go, thats for sure...:okay:

corollagtSr5 10-15-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broken_arrow (Post 8056104)
On a serious note, I lived in England for quite a while and I love BOTH, England and Scotland to death. All politics aside, the two countries have been together for centuries! The amount of history that they share is paramount. It would be said to see Scotland go, thats for sure...:okay:

LOL you make it sound like its fuckin ET and he's leaving earth, Its still fuckin there.

ae101 10-16-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broken_arrow (Post 8056104)

just like quebec & the rest of canada, but im not sad to see them go at all :fullofwin:

EmperorIS 10-16-2012 12:14 AM

What are the benefits of splitting up anyways? I never understood what can Quebec gain from leaving Canada. If anything I'd think they'll be far much worst in both economy and security

CharlesInCharge 10-16-2012 01:08 AM

In-dept doc and shows about this

Code:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szeagmNk_UM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtJ6hNd-U4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWzVRW2bxE

Aligning with war mongering states puts that territory at risk in-case of a war.

Yodamaster 10-16-2012 02:26 PM

I'm fucking tired of Britain proclaiming that Scottish athletes are "British". I have a mostly Scottish background, and I love this.

JesseBlue 10-16-2012 04:02 PM

and whats your other part english?

RacePace 10-16-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8055883)
next up quebec voting to leave canada? :troll:

we should vote to kick them out

Graeme S 10-16-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8056705)
and whats your other part, English?

Sheep.

RacePace 10-16-2012 04:59 PM

Catalonia also wants to break away from Spain in case ppl don't know

Graeme S 10-16-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacePace (Post 8056753)
Catalonia also wants to break away from Spain in case ppl don't know

Fun fact? They look up to Quebec as an excellent example of a subculture that wants to split away.

Except that Catalonia is one of the highest-value, most hardworking parts of Spain. Catalonia wants independence because they're ballers, Quebec wants to move to Mom and Dad's basement but still do laundry at home and be able to use the fridge and borrow the car.

That having been said, there is this one Quebec independence party that I'd totally support, because they say that any kind of support from the Canadian government is an insult to Quebec in that it implies that Francos can't stand on their own. I'm all for them supporting independence as long as they can pay for it themselves.

Yodamaster 10-16-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8056705)
and whats your other part english?

Ukrainian and German.