REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,757 Times in 3,528 Posts
Scotland to vote on leaving UK in 2014

Kind of big news here

BBC News - Scottish independence: Cameron and Salmond strike referendum deal

Quote:
Scottish independence: Cameron and Salmond strike referendum deal

A deal setting out terms for a Scottish independence referendum has been signed by Prime Minister David Cameron and First Minister Alex Salmond.

The agreement, struck in Edinburgh, has paved the way for a vote in autumn 2014, with a single Yes/No question on Scotland leaving the UK.

It will also allow 16 and 17-year-olds to take part in the ballot.

The SNP secured a mandate to hold the referendum after its landslide Scottish election win last year.

The UK government, which has responsibility over constitutional issues, will grant limited powers to the Scottish Parliament to hold a legal referendum, under a mechanism called Section 30.

The deal will also commit both governments to working together constructively in the best interests of the people of Scotland, whatever the outcome of the referendum.

Mr Salmond said the agreement would mean a referendum "made in Scotland", while the prime minister said keeping the United Kingdom together was his number one priority.

The deal will provide for:

A statutory order to be legislated at Westminster, granting Holyrood powers to hold a single-question independence referendum by the end of 2014 and covering other issues like campaign broadcasts.
A "memorandum of agreement" to be signed by political leaders confirming the details of the referendum will be settled at Holyrood.
A significant role for the Electoral Commission watchdog in advising on the wording of the question, the running of the referendum and areas including campaign finance.
A possible second question on greater powers has been dropped.

Speaking after the deal was signed at the headquarters of the Scottish government, St Andrew's House, the prime minister told BBC News: "This is the right decision for Scotland.

Real arguments

But it's also right for the United Kingdom that there is going to be one, simple, straightforward question about whether Scotland wants to stay in the United Kingdom or separate itself from the United Kingdom, and that referendum has to be held before the end of 2014.

"I always wanted to show respect to the people of Scotland - they voted for a party that wanted to have a referendum, I've made that referendum possible and made sure that it is decisive, it is legal and it is fair."

Mr Cameron added: "Now we've dealt with the process, we should get on with the real arguments, and I passionately believe Scotland will be better off in the United Kingdom but also, crucially, the United Kingdom will be better off with Scotland."

Mr Salmond said the deal, which he described as the "Edinburgh Agreement", paved the way for the most important political decision Scotland had made in several hundred years.

He added: "It is in that sense a historic day for Scotland and I think a major step forward in Scotland's home rule journey.

"The Edinburgh Agreement means that we will have a referendum in two years' time which will be built and made in the Scottish Parliament on behalf of the Scottish people. I think that is a substantial and important step forward."

Mr Salmond said the respective campaigns could now move on from discussion over process and "get on with the substantive arguments".

He went on: "Do I believe that independence will win this campaign? Yes I do. And I believe we will win it by setting out a positive vision for a better future for our country, both economically and, crucially, also socially.

"It is that vision of a prosperous and compassionate society, a confident society moving forward in Scotland, which will carry the day."

When asked whether he had an exact date in mind for the referendum, and whether he would share it, Mr Salmond replied: "Yes, and no".

He said the Scottish government had still to publish the results of its consultation on the referendum, which would happen in the "near future".

The deal was negotiated between Scottish Secretary Michael Moore, a Liberal Democrat MP, and Scotland's deputy first minister, Nicola Sturgeon.

Scottish Labour leader Johann Lamont said she was pleased a deal had been reached, adding: "Alex Salmond has the right to ask the question and now people have right to answer it.

"But we cannot allow this debate to distract from some of the real problems being faced by families in Scotland, things the SNP could act on now."

"Alex Salmond offers people only one solution to Scotland's problems - a referendum on independence - but his timetable makes us wait another two years to have our say."
go to link for more
Advertisement
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Thanked 9,333 Times in 2,158 Posts
next up quebec voting to leave canada?
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 5,015 Times in 1,623 Posts
UK economy in the shitter.

Scot's think to themselves, "Aack, we hardlay spend a pennay. We're better off on ourrrr oooown."
Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 8,096 Times in 3,376 Posts

BST feedback
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post

Scot's think to themselves, "Aack, we hardlay spend a pennay. We're better off on ourrrr oooown."

rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,757 Times in 3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post

that and they've wanted autonomy for ages
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Ed Miliband attacks Jeremy Clarkson over his stance on Scottish independence | Mail Online

From the article: "Mr Clarkson used his newspaper column in January to proclaim: ‘If the Scottish people want to break away, then I shall stand on Hadrian’s Wall with a teary handkerchief, and say, “Good riddance to the lot of you, and take your stupid bagpipes with you”."
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
On a serious note, I lived in England for quite a while and I love BOTH, England and Scotland to death. All politics aside, the two countries have been together for centuries! The amount of history that they share is paramount. It would be said to see Scotland go, thats for sure...
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,086 Times in 314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
On a serious note, I lived in England for quite a while and I love BOTH, England and Scotland to death. All politics aside, the two countries have been together for centuries! The amount of history that they share is paramount. It would be said to see Scotland go, thats for sure...
LOL you make it sound like its fuckin ET and he's leaving earth, Its still fuckin there.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,582 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
just like quebec & the rest of canada, but im not sad to see them go at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,793 Times in 850 Posts
What are the benefits of splitting up anyways? I never understood what can Quebec gain from leaving Canada. If anything I'd think they'll be far much worst in both economy and security
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
I signed up to a Zionist website and all the Illuminati gave me was this lousy usertitle

In-dept doc and shows about this

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szeagmNk_UM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtJ6hNd-U4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWzVRW2bxE
Aligning with war mongering states puts that territory at risk in-case of a war.

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 10-16-2012 at 02:48 AM.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #13

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
I'm fucking tired of Britain proclaiming that Scottish athletes are "British". I have a mostly Scottish background, and I love this.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

and whats your other part english?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,315 Times in 328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
next up quebec voting to leave canada?
we should vote to kick them out
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
and whats your other part, English?
Sheep.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,315 Times in 328 Posts
Catalonia also wants to break away from Spain in case ppl don't know
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacePace View Post
Catalonia also wants to break away from Spain in case ppl don't know
Fun fact? They look up to Quebec as an excellent example of a subculture that wants to split away.

Except that Catalonia is one of the highest-value, most hardworking parts of Spain. Catalonia wants independence because they're ballers, Quebec wants to move to Mom and Dad's basement but still do laundry at home and be able to use the fridge and borrow the car.

That having been said, there is this one Quebec independence party that I'd totally support, because they say that any kind of support from the Canadian government is an insult to Quebec in that it implies that Francos can't stand on their own. I'm all for them supporting independence as long as they can pay for it themselves.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #19

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
and whats your other part english?
Ukrainian and German.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote