REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

relationship cliches

I'll start

Happy single = happy relationship?
is this always true?

I like to play devil's advocate against most cliches. I think being in a new relationship is like making a new best friend which usually makes a sad man happy.

Or am I misinterpreting it?

what other cliches or adages are you uncertain about or against?

Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Someone translate OP's post to English, please and thank you.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Director of RS Cares

From what I gather from the first line..I think what's he trying to say is if you're happy single, you're going to be happy in a relationship. Don't know about the rest of it though.

With just the first line in mind, I agree with him..however I look at it as "You can't appreciate being in a relationship if you can't appreciate being single."

So many young girls that I know are always complaining how it sucks to be single and how they can't find a good guy over and over again. They go through relationships like clothes and are always stuck in the same situation--dumped or feeling "unappreciated," when really the issue is THEM. Why are they single in the first place? Could it be something they are doing/saying that makes them a not so good candidate for a relationship? Falling too fast. Letting their self worth go too easily to keeping a man. ETC ETC.

With that said, when I was younger I had a huge problem with getting a guy to commit or they'd dump me. It was a handful of things....low confidence, not enough self worth/respec, feeling like the guy was my world etc etc. I felt like I needed someone to be with me to make me whole which was completely wrong. After a TERRIBLE (but hopefully and confidently last) break up, I chose to be single and to work on myself until I felt confident and happy that I could be on my own first before going into another relationship. Which I did and now I'm 2 years in with many more with mr crayon.

And if I'm completely wrong...then please disregard this post.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
you HAVE to be happy as a person as a whole before you can date someone and be happy.

If you can't stand being alone, you'll start to fill your void shopping thinking that'll make you "happy" for a second. Girls and guys have to realize they can't rely on relationships to make them happy or whole. You'll be constantly leaning against someone and that's the end of things. My gf is in that funk right now, and I"m not sure if things are working so well.

Have you ever noticed in poorer countries, they have close to nothing, but they are happiest with friends, family and environment? No matter where you put them, they appreciate everything they have and they are content. You go to a 'richer' country, people are nailed down to their possessions and bam, somehow they still get lonely and they aren't fulfilled. they just one void with another. They don't appreciate things until it's taken from them.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

can two misanthropic cynics be happy together?
Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Are we going for these following types of things:

Happy wife=happy life
opposites attract
Women. Can't live with them, can't kill 'em.

That kind of thing?

Confusing thread is confusing.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Confusing thread is confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i kinda read through this quickly and i kind of agree that you need to be happy single before a relationship.

i think that if you are miserable, you will base your happiness on someone elses company and actions, in that case you will always have high expectations and easily be disappointed, with that said they may also be on a different level than you, being happy just to be with you so they don't put the same kind of effort in because they we already happy, you were just a bonus on top.

be content with life and you can truly appreciate the things surrounding you.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I agree with the first line. Sometimes it’s good to just be single and sometimes being single doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be looking for someone. Maybe you just need time to get your shit together and find out who you are and what you want to become. When you have all your shit together and have a strong drive towards your goals; girls will flock towards you (:
Versati1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote