REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
Windshield Wipers

It's that time of the year again when the sky starts pissing rain around the lower mainland all day errrday

My car has stock windshield wipers that are in need of a replacement (not all the water is being wiped off and streaks are being left). They haven't been replaced in years and now I'm looking for new ones

Are any of you guys running aftermarket windshield wipers? If you can provide me with the brand, where you purchased them, and a quick review of them that would be great. I'm planning on hitting up Canadian Tire and see what they have this weekend

TIA
Advertisement
ForeverYours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Bosch Icons if you want HD vision on the road.

If you have a costco membership, the Michelin Stealth Wipers are on sale, 20 dollars tax in for the pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Not sure about the other automakers, but for Mitsubishi you can just buy the rubber inserts for less than $10 each side instead of replacing the whole wiper.
Lancerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
PIAA brand from overseas auto is sweet. Feels like im driving a high end luxury car .. very quiet + do a really good job for a good price.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
^ this.
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Do you guys encounter this ?

My wipers are about 9 months old.
Every time my left one removes the rain, it leaves beside this smear that dries up in about 15seconds. The smear is pretty much...half of the driver side of the windshield
Is it time to replace them or is my windshield just dirty?
I probably need to change them anyways but I tried on the ones from my friends Mazda 3 which are 2 weeks old and they still smear.
Not sure if his are already worn or w.e or just have a dirty windshield.
9 month old car shouldn't a dirtier windshield than any of your cars....garage parked all the time
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
you can always take some times to thoroughly clean the outside of your windshield.

use a bit of steel wool on the outside windshield to clean off any grime, ull be surprised how clean ur windows will be!

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
I've clay bar'd my windshield a couple times to remove all the grit. Works great.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Plus, clean the wiper blades. People, including me, forget to do this on a regular basis. Prolongs the life of the blades. Not because you're cheap........... ok, maybe...... but because it's a waste. Since I started cleaning the wiper blades with alcohol, no more streaks and shit. I guess you can use just about anything to clean the rubber/silicone/whathaveyou, as long as it doesn't react with the material. Those disposable wipes for cleaning glasses seem to work fine. No fuss, no mess.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
I don't get it

Piaa's are the way to go. Lordco has them as well. I've been using 1 set for the last 5 years. Still does its job well.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
OEM rubber insert refill > anything that Crappy Tires sell....

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
Not sure if his are already worn or w.e or just have a dirty windshield.
9 month old car shouldn't a dirtier windshield than any of your cars....garage parked all the time
9 months is a LONG time. Of course....that's unless your car is driven by a typical Richmond C-Lai that use it for less than 3KM / day just for grocery shopping....
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
Rider

Running Bosch with aquapel
Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Little known tidbit. Piaa refill inserts will fit other wiper frames. YMMV.

Personal experience, love the Piaa silicone wipers. Overseas is going to be cheaper than Lordco unless you have mad discounts with them.

On my DD, I am using cheapo Walmart wipers. Since they are less than 6 months old, the wipers work great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've tried a whack load of different wiper brands over the years... PIAA, Bosch, even the generic Canadian Tire ones. To be honest, I've yet to discover a real discernable difference between them all. Sure, some worked slightly better clearing snow off the windshield first thing in the morning, but for basic rain storms... nah, it's not worth paying the extra $50 for a set of PIAA's over generic ones. So long as you occasionally clean the blades and windshield properly, they all work basically the same.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
Better safe than Surrey

I just buy the cheap-o wipers. Plan on getting 1 rainy season, replace them next year.

Every time I fuel up I clean my blades... makes them like new!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
Also make sure you slap some RainX on your windshield, helps out a bit too. Water just beads and slides off, and wipers glide silky smooth. Been using RainX for years, love the stuff.
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I've tried a whack load of different wiper brands over the years... PIAA, Bosch, even the generic Canadian Tire ones. To be honest, I've yet to discover a real discernable difference between them all. Sure, some worked slightly better clearing snow off the windshield first thing in the morning, but for basic rain storms... nah, it's not worth paying the extra $50 for a set of PIAA's over generic ones. So long as you occasionally clean the blades and windshield properly, they all work basically the same.
I feel the same way. The expensive ones are more than double the cheap Crappy tire ones. The rubber in the blades tend to harden/and break down over time regardless - I think it's better to just replace them more often with the cheap ones.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
The only difference is how long the wipers last. Cheapo wipers usually last 1 year but near the end they suck badly.
My first set of Piaa silicone wipers came with my car and they worked fine in the rain alll 5 years that I had the car. Sure they streaked a little on the first few wipes, but after that they worked just like new.
My new set of Piaa's for the wife's car cost $50 for the set. Cheapo wipers from Walmart, similar sizes as the wife's car, cost just over $25.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If your car uses larger than normal wiper blades Costco is hard to beat. Wipers are on sale right now at Costco for less than 10 bucks each taxes in for any size.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
rainx + aquapel is helpful, but actually reduces the lifespan of your wipers .
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,181 Times in 2,408 Posts
What do you guys use to clean the wipers with? Wouldn't alcohol dry out the rubber and shorten the life?

I've used RainX in the past but it caused the wipers to start skipping/shuddering instead of being smooth.

Maybe windshield washer fluid is the logical choice.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakucaekz View Post
Also make sure you slap some RainX on your windshield, helps out a bit too. Water just beads and slides off, and wipers glide silky smooth. Been using RainX for years, love the stuff.
the rain x spray can shit works awesome. couldn't find it anymore though. had to settle for the windshield washer fluid instead... they probably make more from it...that can lasted me years

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
RainX does what its supposed to do, but I found there's a lot of glare at night.

Used Bosch Icons in the past, now using the cheaper variant, and there's not too much of a difference. The more expensive ones do feel marginally better.

Will probably go to Costco if they're on sale haha
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #24

Remember to use a good glass cleaner on the outside of the glass as SG mentioned. Last time, I was in a rush and only had Chlorox wipes. Worked great cause it took off a lot of oil that had accumulated onto the windsheild.
That should help a lot with the wipers streaking.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
RainX does what its supposed to do, but I found there's a lot of glare at night.

Used Bosch Icons in the past, now using the cheaper variant, and there's not too much of a difference. The more expensive ones do feel marginally better.

Will probably go to Costco if they're on sale haha

rainX and products like it are just wax, works great until you use your wipers... and because its just wax it smears and causes streaks after a while and it cuts your wiper life in half, glass polish your window clean, like posted above steel wool will work.

I used steel wool and some normal car polish and it gets rid of water spots and any existing dirt/grime accumulated and just give my wipers a wipe with a cloth and some water, in my washer fluid bottle i have normal washer fluid good for winter and i also mixed some weak de-greaser in it, about 1 part de-greaser 5 parts washer fluid, keeps everything clean
snails is offline   Reply With Quote