REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Computer science vs. film

recently I'm applying for UBC and SFU
i really dont know what to choose for my first choice, so I chose Computer science(B.A.).
I have a question of what's the difference between CPSC(B.A.) and CPSC(SC)?
however, im quite interesting in film production than CPSC, but it's ok with me if I go to wither CPSC or film in Art.

is it really difficult to study in CPSC in arts?
I've heard people are getting tired in cpsc and want to transfer to other program

what do you prefer me to go?
Im applying for term May (summer)

and one other thing is for film production, the application date is after Jan. 15. how do I select for the first choice and second choice if both programs are on different date? or i just submit two application later on?

Thx
Advertisement
dogorcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I'm not a Computer Science graduate, but I'm close enough (BASc Computer Engineer Software Option) to answer a portion of your questions.

The most obvious difference is one gives you an Arts degree, another gives you a Science degree (duh!). What you don't know (and they don't tell you) is that Arts CPSC is more of a "general studies" of BSc CPSC. Just by looking at the curriculum requirements for Arts CPSC, you will be wasting quite a few credits doing Arts related subjects (which will not help you at all if you plan on doing CPSC as a career). You will also lack the prerequisites for some-what useful courses from CPSC. So what you will end up with is a half-arts, half-science background which hopefully gets you a job in the computer industry. But it will definitely not prepare you (not even close) to what the real world requires you to know (unless you are willing to take some extra courses on top of your requirements).

CPSC courses are a mixed bag of grapes. You have some courses which are like your typical Arts courses (memorize-and-you'll-do-fine type) and some of which requires programming skills. The latter part is where some students find the most difficulties. Unlike other subjects where time spent is proportional to the understanding of the subject, programming courses requires a logical thinking method which maybe unorthodox to some. This logical thinking is crucial to writing programs and applications.

Have you ever done any programming in high school or during your spare time? Do you find it interesting or complicated? If you haven't, I highly suggest you to spend some time and get a taste of what your about to do for your next 4 years. Try look for some "Hello World" in your favorite programming language on YouTube. See if it's your cup of tea.

In short, I would urge you to take the BSc path, if you still can, instead if you want to go BA, or take some extra courses to better prep yourself for your future career as a CPSC graduate. If CPSC is not really your thing, maybe look into doing filming, your other preference.

Hope this helps.
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Computer Science is no walk in the park. If you aren't really interested in it, I'd strongly recommend against going into it. 3rd and 4th year are absolutely brutal in the sense that it will be both extremely boring and difficult if it really isn't your thing.

As Sp0r3 mentioned, have you taken any computer programming courses in highschool? For a "real" computer science 1st year student in the first semester, you'd probably go through all of that 1 year high school curriculum (and more) in no more than a month. Your first programming 101 course at university is really there to show you what you should have known before you go into 1st year. It isn't really meant to be there to teach you that stuff from the ground up.

Also, how is your math? In particular, how is your calculus and discrete math? Your first taste of discrete math should have been that counting and probability section in math 12. If it was confusing as heck and you thoroughly hated it, be prepared for at least another 3 years' worth of it in Computer Science.

Perhaps I am turning into a grumpy old fart. But CS and engineering aren't really meant for students with a mid 70's high school average to go into. (IT, on the other hand, is nowhere nearly as difficult as CS.)
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote