REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   AYCE HotPot (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675612-ayce-hotpot.html)

charlesd 10-23-2012 11:41 AM

AYCE HotPot

Looking to head to a AYCE hotpot, any recommendations? We went to fatty cow last time and wasn't too impressed, looking for alternatives, unless it's better now. Been about a year. Thanks!

Purely 10-23-2012 11:47 AM

Toyotomi in Richmond

zx7rrrr 10-23-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gYU (Post 8062561)
Toyotomi in Richmond

its good but i got food poisoning there. i think it was the beef sashimi.

fatty cow on victoria
claypot on alexandria
cattle pot on alexandria
i-spicy on kingsway
toyotomi
top gun is pricy
grand honour on granville

theres a couple more on kingsway

inv4zn 10-23-2012 11:51 AM

Went to Claypot last week. Busy as fuck.

Don't really have a standard for Hot Pot, but we left full and happy.

Jer3 10-23-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Toyotomi in Richmond

make sure to make a reservation as well. place gets extremely busy on fri+weekends.

Porschedog 10-23-2012 06:34 PM

You can pay to add 1 dish of lobster sashimi (per soup base) at Toyotomi.
Dat lobster :sweetjesus:

Groot 10-23-2012 07:14 PM

Was looking through the ayce menu for toyotomi. Is it still 12.99 a person? If so, damn its a pretty good deal lol

knight604 10-23-2012 07:16 PM

Top gun is shit, fatty cow is not bad, clay pot got worse.

Hotpot at home is the best.
Posted via RS Mobile

xxxrsxxx 10-23-2012 07:17 PM

how much for the plate of lobster sashimi?

TRDood 10-23-2012 10:57 PM

Didn't know Toyotomi existed. Probably worth a try!

So good so pot near the car wash on Garden City is pretty good. Less packed compared to the normal fatty cows
Posted via RS Mobile

ShadowBun 10-23-2012 11:06 PM

+1 for Toyotomi

Jayboogz 10-23-2012 11:14 PM

toyotomi is pretty good. i aint gon fronttt

EmperorIS 10-23-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Toyotomi in Richmond

Fuck this place.

Rude service, dimwit manager. Never going back ever again. Food was good though.

Obsideon 10-28-2012 10:04 PM

Hmm I will go give Toyotomi a try, maybe tomorrow! Been thinking of getting Hotpot in this depressing cold & wet weather lol ...

I used to love Fatty Cow on Victoria Dr and was a huge advocate of it being one of, if not THE best AYCE Hotpot in Vancouver. The seafood and meat was fresh and they didn't skimp portions but ever since the younger manager left, the service has been downhill along with their food quality. I especially did NOT appreciate the fact that they advertise unlimited oysters on the menu but as soon as we wanted to order a 2nd round they told us they were "sold out" but then started serving it to other tables! This happened to us TWICE! :rukidding:

Ikkaku 10-28-2012 10:11 PM

I didn't like toyotomi. The wait times are long, unless you know the people there, even with reservations (we waited for 40 minutes after our reservation time)

The pork and beef were so fat, bacon is lean meat compared to it. They refused to take it back when we complained that it was far too fatty. Terrible service. We told the waitress that we would separate the orders from our longer table and everything came on a single plate.

TRDood 10-28-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8067118)
Hmm I will go give Toyotomi a try, maybe tomorrow! Been thinking of getting Hotpot in this depressing cold & wet weather lol ...

I used to love Fatty Cow on Victoria Dr and was a huge advocate of it being one of, if not THE best AYCE Hotpot in Vancouver. The seafood and meat was fresh and they didn't skimp portions but ever since the younger manager left, the service has been downhill along with their food quality. I especially did NOT appreciate the fact that they advertise unlimited oysters on the menu but as soon as we wanted to order a 2nd round they told us they were "sold out" but then started serving it to other tables! This happened to us TWICE! :rukidding:

No wonder... Are you referring to the older 50-60 y/o guy with glasses? For late night if you order more than $25 you guy free congee. I had to ask afterwards because they "forgot". The ladies and boss working behind the counter were just chatting when I tried to get the bill for 10 mins. Fucking owners (assumption) don't give a shit anymore.

Stuff still taste pretty good though.
Posted via RS Mobile

Obsideon 10-31-2012 07:07 PM

Yeah the older guy with glasses (50+ old), he's not a smart manager at all. I don't think he's the owner.
The younger guy (30's?) guy left, he was really personable. He did tell me when his last day was so I went to eat one last time before he quit, he's off to persue a career in real estate. He always gave us complimentary sauces because we were regulars and I even had my staff party there last year!... the 5 times I ate there after he quit ... just kept rolling downhill more and more ... until I gave up ...
The older manager never came by and his attitude was very indifferent ... still urked that they "cut us off" cuz we were ordering too much "expensive food" like prawns and oysters ... wtf did they expect me to just eat instant noodles all night?
:failed:

I've heard good/bad things about Toyotomi ... *shrugs* I dunno ... maybe I'll just pay for regular ordering like Landmark Hotpot, food is fresh and awesome service ... but it's a bit pricey.

miss_crayon 11-01-2012 02:59 PM

^The younger guy was always in real estate as his side business. He use to work at...forgot the english name but literal translation is "Red Ant" located on alexandra which is now something else.

I haven't been to Fatty Cow since the summer but I have noticed they are skimping on the quantity. Their seafood is still really fresh, the owners also own their own seafood market, but I guess this is what happens when a place gets too popular.

G-Be Hot Pot at Grandvilla isn't bad. We always get their deluxe menu and quality is pretty good! KOBE BEEF SLICES!!! But will admit..they too have cut down on the quantity.

BinsentoW 11-01-2012 03:37 PM

I tried toyotomi once after reading this thread. The beef was REALLY fatty.
What places have decent price and good quality fatty beef?

Obsideon 11-01-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 8070556)
^The younger guy was always in real estate as his side business. He use to work at...forgot the english name but literal translation is "Red Ant" located on alexandra which is now something else.

I haven't been to Fatty Cow since the summer but I have noticed they are skimping on the quantity. Their seafood is still really fresh, the owners also own their own seafood market, but I guess this is what happens when a place gets too popular.

G-Be Hot Pot at Grandvilla isn't bad. We always get their deluxe menu and quality is pretty good! KOBE BEEF SLICES!!! But will admit..they too have cut down on the quantity.

Yeah the younger manager told me that before too, I remember telling him that I was impressed that they served "unlimited" oysters because no other place I know of does that, they usually set a "3 per person" limit. He then explained to me that the owners also run a seafood operation so they can afford to do that for the oysters... so why now they are skimping?!... still SO CHOKED they told us we can't order anymore oysters because we ordered too many ...

G-Be was decent, the food was fresh. Service good, presentation was above the standard Hotpot style (Japanese influence) ... but they missed the mark on the most important thing ... the SOUP ... I ordered Spicy Hot & Tonkotsu flavour. The Tonkotsu was decent but the Spicy one was uber BLAND ... kinda like oil and hot water. Didn't have the bold flavour like other Hotpot places.

FakeMonk 11-01-2012 10:56 PM

Little Sheep Mongolian (Kingsway & Lansdowne)
best ayce hot pot in vancouver.

dark0821 11-02-2012 12:00 AM

honestly man...

I bought my own gas ranger and a pot and never looked back
I think they are on sale at T&T this week for $18 gas range + $12 pot

My fiancee and me loved going to AYCE hotpot b4, but honestly the cost of dining out for hotpot is getting ridiculous

My fiancee and me stock up @ crystal mall for like $20, and we get more food than we can finish....

just my 0.02

miss_crayon 11-02-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8070931)
Yeah the younger manager told me that before too, I remember telling him that I was impressed that they served "unlimited" oysters because no other place I know of does that, they usually set a "3 per person" limit. He then explained to me that the owners also run a seafood operation so they can afford to do that for the oysters... so why now they are skimping?!... still SO CHOKED they told us we can't order anymore oysters because we ordered too many ...

G-Be was decent, the food was fresh. Service good, presentation was above the standard Hotpot style (Japanese influence) ... but they missed the mark on the most important thing ... the SOUP ... I ordered Spicy Hot & Tonkotsu flavour. The Tonkotsu was decent but the Spicy one was uber BLAND ... kinda like oil and hot water. Didn't have the bold flavour like other Hotpot places.

I've only tried the Miso soup base and it's been pretty good. I love how they actually serve REAL ramen. OMG, tastes so good!! I'll be sure not to order the spicy one

TRDood 11-04-2012 01:56 AM

So... I went to Toyotomi AYCE because of this thread.

6/10 for me, it just doesn't seem like a comfortable hotpot restaurant.

I was seated in a table... looking at something like this (I didn't take a picture of it in the restaurant because it's rude):
http://www.rgbstock.com/cache1pGBGZ/...00/mOjdWlk.jpg

Onto the food. It's different from normal AYCE. The salmon sashimi is a nice touch, but the cut/quality is not that great. I didn't like that they use the gas stove. It's not a true hotpot place. Weird seating like someone else said. Strange location. Fatty beef looked like bacon. $20.99 + soup base + condiments/sauces + drinks adds up to anywhere $60-$70 for two people.

I can have Garden City hotpot at that price.

Here are some pictures for you to judge.

Spicy + Beef Bone
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/IMG_3466.jpg

Food with a bed of ice
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/IMG_3465.jpg

Sashimi - don't get the baby octopus or enoki... it's fucking gross.
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/IMG_3464.jpg

$0.65 egg (pretty cheap but small), soy sauce only because I didn't want to pay $0.55 for EACH topping. Who the fuck uses metal chopsticks for hotpot?!?!? It doesn't feel like a honger owned restuarant like fatty cow or sheep.
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/IMG_3462.jpg

Ohhh, and I saw a white Type R there parked next to me with a RS sticker in the parkade. Anyone here?

Sky_High 11-04-2012 02:03 AM

I sure hope they don't reuse those ice.....