REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

UBC Engineering Design: Aerodynamic Kit - Questionnaire [Edit: Online Link Active]

Hi fellow RS members,

We are a team of students from UBC Integrated Engineering and for our yearly design project, we have collaborated with my buddy and we plan to build a fully functional aero kit for his car. Because we're not too familiar with the car modification and motorsports scene, we have come here to humbly ask for insights and guidance.

The design course is also co-joined with a business course, meaning that parts of the design requirements involve having the end deliverable to be "marketable" and "be able to defend its market shares", as per requested by our professors. To acquire a better understanding of the needs of the end users, we have already attended car meets and autocross/track events. However, such survey could not cover the entire scope, hence we believe an online survey is necessary in order to tailor our design objective to the needs of the end users.

A brief background:

Our project caters towards the needs of motorsports enthusiasts who track their daily driven vehicle. Because of the difference in demands for aerodynamic performance in various motorsports events, we have narrowed down our target audience to participants in specific high-speed driving events such as track and drag racing.

Our project will consist of five parts, where each will be built to work as part of a whole system:
- Front splitter
- Rear diffuser
- Side skirts
- Under tray
- Spoiler

After some preliminary research and survey, we have come up with the following primary goals as part of our design:
- Purely function-based, meaning the entire system is for track use only, for the dimensions may be deemed to be non-street suitable, even if legal.
- Removable and re-attachable in short amount of time, where the system can be stowed away to maintain daily driving comfort/regulations.

Being in an advanced engineering course, we have various resources at our disposal, ranging from wind tunnel and computational fluid dynamics to CNC machining and access to composite materials. Because of our limited budget, the car we will be working with is a lightly modified ’92 Civic Si (EG6).

We are now in the intermediate stages of design where changes happen on an hourly basis. Enclosed is a short questionnaire, where we hope to gather as many feedback as we possibly can. If possible, please add in your personal experience and insights as well, for we would love to hear individuals’ stories both in the drivers and the enthusiasts’ perspective.

Of course, I’m more than happy to answer any further questions related to the project.

Thank you for your inputs!

Edit:
As per requested by forum users, the online survey is now active.
IGEN 330 - Design Stage Questionnaire Survey
Please feel free to add in any further remarks/experiences that you would like to share.
Advertisement

Last edited by gwh0803; 10-26-2012 at 07:30 AM.
gwh0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Use surveymonkey or one of those free websites for your survey.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
nobody's gonna do a survey that they have to edit in microsoft paint themselves lol.

put it on a survey site like he said ^
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Survey link now active. Please feel free to add in any further remarks/experiences that you would like to share.

Thank you for the feedbacks.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

You should include make/model. It makes a huge difference on the price of parts for certain cars.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
done, lol hope my input helps
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Thanks for the proper survey. I honestly wish you guys good luck, and hopefully papier mache isn't what you use to mock up the aero parts.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

There are other factors that effect the part price and functionality:
-D.O.T./Transport Canada approved
-COO(Country of Origin)
-Materials used
-Warranty coverage

Last edited by Ronith; 10-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Done, and good luck with your project!
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
done and done.
aero parts? oh I bought a lot of them recently lol
Spoiler!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Check out aerocivic.com

He used an eg body style as well. 95US mpg at 60mph mainly due to aerodynamics.

I think it would benefit drag racing and higher speed events the most. If you make an aerocivic style kit I will donate half your entrance fee to the street legals at mission next year to test before and after to see if it really works in a performance application.

Spoiler!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronith View Post
There are other factors that effect the part price and functionality:
-D.O.T./Transport Canada approved
-COO
-Materials used
-Warranty coverage
Basically none of those are applicable as they said it is a track only aero package. Materials used maybe, but the rest are all moot points.

Because the EG is a popular race platform, there is lots of "garage" engineering but most of the series that they are raced in have very limited aero allowances so most are just aimed at reducing drag rather than producing any meaningful downforce. You will also have a really hard time putting a proper flatbottom on the car high enough to actually get some air under it without keeping the car at a crazy high ride height.

Mark
Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #13

Hi all,

Thank you for your inputs. I was thinking maybe we can share our design and build experience in the upcoming months. Not so much of a member's build journal, but more like a documentary with engineering principles and the step-by step breakdown process to the final deliverable.

If interested, I will be more than happy to upload related things (maybe in the technical section) in the future.

Cheers,
B.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
done and done.
aero parts? oh I bought a lot of them recently lol
Spoiler!
I'm extremely fond of DC2 ITR with JDM front, currently saving up for one. Nice car!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Check out aerocivic.com

He used an eg body style as well. 95US mpg at 60mph mainly due to aerodynamics.

I think it would benefit drag racing and higher speed events the most. If you make an aerocivic style kit I will donate half your entrance fee to the street legals at mission next year to test before and after to see if it really works in a performance application.

Spoiler!
Unfortunately, the earliest track day in mission is too close to the deadline, hence we will have to head down south to do the high speed testing in January.

On a side note, we have connections with the UBC Supermileage team and they would love that design. They're currently working on something along those lines but to a much more radical degree.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Finished, good luck~!
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I think a more marketable product would be to develop a kit to improve gas efficiency for daily drivers. There are tons of aftermarket parts for track days as it is.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote