REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #51
Rs has made me the man i am today!

wow right up to the 5 series, everything looks the same!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #52
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Its kind of unfortunate in a way though because bmw has now strayed from their classic models even further. I don't want an m4. It doesn't have nearly 30 years of unbelievable racing history. I know its just a name, but still, history means something, and bmw as of lately has been shitting on their own history, by putting an M wherever it feels like. I still like BMW, and if it came down to it its not going to be the reason I do or don't buy one, but it just seems like when you have had this format and all of the history behind it, why change it for no reason?
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Actually, BMW and Mercedes aren't that special in Europe.
They're kinda like Accord and Camry...no big deal.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #54

Just because more people own them, doesn't make them less special. There are entry level and there are high end, like any typical brand of car.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #55
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
imo, BMWs are now just nice mainstream cars. Even M cars are just really nice daily drivers...but not special at all.......same will happen to Porsche as they go volume........
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #56
Old School RS

Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,203 Posts
As far as I am concerned, BMW peaked here:

It's all downhill from here... electric power steering, forced induction, etc. Not to say they wont be awesome cars, but there is something about an 8500rpm V8 that just says BADASS.

Mark
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #58
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Its kind of unfortunate in a way though because bmw has now strayed from their classic models even further. I don't want an m4. It doesn't have nearly 30 years of unbelievable racing history. I know its just a name, but still, history means something, and bmw as of lately has been shitting on their own history, by putting an M wherever it feels like. I still like BMW, and if it came down to it its not going to be the reason I do or don't buy one, but it just seems like when you have had this format and all of the history behind it, why change it for no reason?
I feel the same, history means alot to BMW. I lost so much respect for them when they decided to put a v8 in the e92 m3. Why not put in a proper straight six like the original M3's matched with a good chassis. Not saying the E92 is a bad car but BMW has always been good with straight six engines and its heartbreaking to see them drift away from that with the new M line.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGang View Post
I feel the same, history means alot to BMW. I lost so much respect for them when they decided to put a v8 in the e92 m3. Why not put in a proper straight six like the original M3's matched with a good chassis. Not saying the E92 is a bad car but BMW has always been good with straight six engines and its heartbreaking to see them drift away from that with the new M line.
The original M3 had a 2.3L 4 cyl. I don't mind engines getting bigger and more powerful, as long as the maintain that high strung feel the s14 made a name for itself with. The problem I have is just the concentration on comfort over driver feel. I appreciate it is business, and understand their motives, but it just isn't so much for me anymore. I swear to god, if you put a brand new m3 in front of me, and a decent e30 m3 in front of me. One worth close to 90k and the e30 worth about 20k. I'd take the e30 every time, and not give the slightest shit about the cash difference. Just for fun, some eye candy, and yes, other than the wheels, which are basically only an inch bigger version of the original RS on the car, this car is STOCK
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #60

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
I agree, it'd be the same if one day Porsche abandons the Horizontal 6 in the 911, or Subaru abandons their boxer engine in their cars
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #61
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The original M3 had a 2.3L 4 cyl. I don't mind engines getting bigger and more powerful, as long as the maintain that high strung feel the s14 made a name for itself with. The problem I have is just the concentration on comfort over driver feel. I appreciate it is business, and understand their motives, but it just isn't so much for me anymore. I swear to god, if you put a brand new m3 in front of me, and a decent e30 m3 in front of me. One worth close to 90k and the e30 worth about 20k. I'd take the e30 every time, and not give the slightest shit about the cash difference. Just for fun, some eye candy, and yes, other than the wheels, which are basically only an inch bigger version of the original RS on the car, this car is STOCK

I would get the brand new M3, sell it, and get 4 E30s with 10k left to spare.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #62
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
It does, but at some point, you have to move on to keep up with the Jones'. With emission standards getting ever tighter, competitors stuffing larger more powerful engines into competing models, and a straight 6 already more or less strung to its limits for reliable daily driving, really you have no option but to increase displacement or go FI. You have to acknowledge the history, but you also can't lean on that history forever and expect not to get left in the dust. FWIW it seems like the new M3 will be going back to an i6, a blown one at that, which will leave some purists longing for the old NA V8.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #63

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Let's face the M brand is watered down now....all M cars are now produced on the same assembly line as regular BMW's....big shift and huge cost savings. All BMW has to do is launch the CSL line to appease all the old school M fans...that includes me!
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #64
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

wait till it comes out... it will be a fraction of its current sexyness. Damn concepts
polygoon7 is offline   Reply With Quote