REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Superstorm Sandy bears down on US East Coast (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675856-superstorm-sandy-bears-down-us-east-coast.html)

melloman 10-31-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoBettah (Post 8068416)
Honestly, even looking at the worst pictures, it doesn't seem all that bad.

I was thinking it was going to be a New Orleans grade disaster. 26 person death toll? In an area that has 30 million people? Those sound like standard numbers to me on a regular night. In fact, there was probably less deaths than a usual day since most people were off the roads.

Not that bad? .....

Sandy storm update: New York City subway 'could be shut down for 3 weeks' | Mail Online

NYC IIRC runs alot of infrastructure underground.. Pumping out water is a very slow process, and salt water damage, if not cleaned off steel and other metals, will rust. Thus causing MASSIVE damage in afew years when things decide to jsut CRUMBLE.

I'm thinking of the tunnels and especially this subway..

Let alone "The Jersey Shore" getting wiped completely off the map. :lawl:

danny_d19 10-31-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8069543)

Let alone "The Jersey Shore" getting wiped completely off the map. :lawl:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbjuu8KZXq1qcis0x.gif

radioman 10-31-2012 01:53 PM

I hope the cast is safe........

:fuckthatshit:

lgman 10-31-2012 05:22 PM

Soundy 10-31-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8069277)
Watching the first few minutes of that just made me stupider.

ME WATCH VIDEO. ME SMART LIKE TRACTOR.

Presto 11-01-2012 02:50 PM

Staten Island got hit pretty hard:

Quote:

source
Staten Island, just a ferry ride from Manhattan but often seen as the neglected stepchild of the New York metropolis, apparently was the city's deadliest zone in Superstorm Sandy – accounting for half the human toll.

On Thursday the bodies of two young boys who were swept away from their mother’s grasp during the storm surge were recovered, NBC News reported. A missing husband and wife were also found dead Thursday, NBCNewYork.com reported.

That brought the toll on the island to 19, NBCNewYork.com reported. On Thursday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Superstorm Sandy is responsible for the deaths of at least 37 New Yorkers.
At a news briefing Thursday morning, elected officials pleaded for help for Staten Island.

Borough President James Molinaro blasted the Red Cross as an “absolute disgrace” and urged the public to stop giving to the venerable institution.
Asked by NBC News to explain his comment, Molinari said, “because the devastation in Staten Island, the lack of a response.”

“You know, I went to a shelter Monday night after the storm. People were coming in with no socks, with no shoes,” Molinaro said. “They were in desperate need. Their housing was destroyed. They were crying. Where was the Red Cross? Isn’t that their function?”

Indeed, Staten Island, which took a direct blow from Sandy, is a scene of immeasurable misery and utter devastation, with homes obliterated, others off their foundations in addition to widespread flooding.
“We are heading into the area where there is major destruction now,” Red Cross spokeswoman Anne Marie Borrego told NBC News late Thursday.
The Red Cross, Borrego said, has five emergency response stations set up at New Dorp Lane in the borough and the organization’s New York CEO, Josh Lockwood, is on the scene.

While looking over the wreckage of his cousin's house on Thursday, Tom Monigan talked about his cousin George Dresch, who died in the surge of water with his daughter Angela, 13, on Staten Island. George Dresch's wife Patricia was reported to be in critical condition at the hospital.

"Not in a million years, did I expect to see this," Monigan told NBC News. "This is unbelievable, I mean for George to lose his life and his daughter and his wife to be in the condition she's in it's a sin, it's unreal, I can't believe I'm looking at this. Terrible."
"You can replace this stuff, but it's what happens to people," Monigan said, "it changes their life forever and it's terrible. People are worried because they don't have electricity, Jesus, this is the real deal right here."

Rescue workers who are part of a task force of searchers gathered on Staten Island on Thursday have fanned out with maps to search the hardest hit areas in the city. Large trucks and other equipment with Homeland Security decals began arriving late in the day on Sunday.

The New York Police Department officials said the boys -- 2 and 4 -- were carried away by floodwaters Monday night on Father Capodanno Boulevard. Their mother had spent the night trying to get help, The New York Daily News reported, to no avail.
The Associated Press identified the boys as Brandon Moore, 2, and Connor Moore, 4, and their mother as Glenda Moore.

The Glenda Moore managed to free the boys from their car seats and tried to hold onto the boys, but the force of the water ripped them from her grasp. She had to swim for her life.

“She was holding onto them, and the waves just kept coming and crashing and they were under,” the boys' aunt, who was not named, told the Daily News. “It went over their heads … she had them in her arms, and a wave came and swept them out of her arms.”
According to the Moore's sister, Moore had pounded on doors for help during the height of the storm, but no one was willing to help her.
About two dozen NYPD officers had been searching for the boys. Their bodies were discovered in a marsh early Thursday, NBCNewYork.com reported, about 15 yards from each other up against debris and a tree near where the SUV was overturned from the storm surge.

Some 470,000 people live in the Staten Island borough of New York, according to census figures, and many areas of the borough, were spared.
The Staten Island museum and zoo were both operating on Thursday, and ferry services was expected to resume in a day or two, according to the island's tourism website.
When the warning goes out to evacuate, you better damn well do it. I'm sorry for this mother's loss, but what circumstance has her out there with 2 little children?

GabAlmighty 11-01-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8070543)
Staten Island got hit pretty hard:

When the warning goes out to evacuate, you better damn well do it. I'm sorry for this mother's loss, but what circumstance has her out there with 2 little children?

Fuck that, i'm gonna stick around and have some fun like that guy on the seadoo did.

Soundy 11-01-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Borough President James Molinaro blasted the Red Cross as an “absolute disgrace” and urged the public to stop giving to the venerable institution.
Asked by NBC News to explain his comment, Molinari said, “because the devastation in Staten Island, the lack of a response.”

“You know, I went to a shelter Monday night after the storm. People were coming in with no socks, with no shoes,” Molinaro said. “They were in desperate need. Their housing was destroyed. They were crying. Where was the Red Cross? Isn’t that their function?”
Yeah, because they weren't needed anywhere else in a region of 30-40 million people; how dare they not mobilize their entire force to help one island of a half-million that should have been long since evacuated!

What a douche.

Matsuda 11-01-2012 06:55 PM

more photos of the storm here

Hurricane Sandy: The Superstorm - The Big Picture - Boston.com

3klipze 11-02-2012 12:01 AM

murd0c 11-12-2012 07:16 PM

there should be more positive rappers like KRS.