REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   craigslist scammer (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675897-craigslist-scammer.html)

lundyt 10-29-2012 10:27 PM

craigslist scammer

So I'm really choked right now. Bought an iPhone 5 for my wife yesterday off a guy on craigslist. The guy claimed that the phone was 32gb locked to Rogers, I had repeatedly confirmed this information with the guy an he even showed me a invoice form Rogers for the phone. Did a quick scan of the imei and everything looked legit. Went over to tbooth today to get a proper Sim card for the phone only to find out the phone isn't for rogers but for bell, fucking irked. Now the guy isn't picking up or replying any messages. Now I. Stuck trying to sell this phone so I can get another one, not a good day.

This guys number is 6047611103, hope that helps anyone in the future when dealing with this guy. I'm pretty sure the name he gave me isn't even correct

On a side note does anyone know if you can unlock a bell iPhone 5 yet?

Thanks for listening to my rant

b0unce. [?] 10-29-2012 10:31 PM

Why didn't you try sticking your/your wife's sim card in and see if it recognizes it.

edit: i haven't dealt with iphones or bell as a carrier, don't they brand their shit? being with fido, most of their phones i've seen are branded.

lundyt 10-29-2012 10:34 PM

She was using the 4s which has a different size Sim card than the 5. Blaming myself for this shit really.

BillyBishop 10-29-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] (Post 8068159)
Why didn't you try sticking your/your wife's sim card in and see if it recognizes it.

1. iPhone uses the nano sim, they probably didn't have the new sim yet.

2. If the seller was selling it as "new and sealed in box" you have no choice but to take the risk.

snails 10-29-2012 10:38 PM

spam the shit out of him? :badpokerface:

b0unce. [?] 10-29-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyBishop (Post 8068171)
2. If the seller was selling it as "new and sealed in box" you have no choice but to take the risk.

OP never specified if it was new/used.

subordinate 10-29-2012 10:42 PM

Ouch man, I guess in these cases, it's best to ask for 2 pieces of ID.

Any honest/legit buyer would show them.

Limitless 10-29-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] (Post 8068159)

edit: i haven't dealt with iphones or bell as a carrier, don't they brand their shit? being with fido, most of their phones i've seen are branded.

No I don't think any iPhones are branded.

Sucks to hear that OP :/ Hope you can sell it quick and buy another one that's locked to the right carrier. Not sure much can be done even if you do have his real name and ID and whatnot...

SpeedStars 10-29-2012 10:44 PM

Can't peeps eventually unlock it at shady cellphone shops?

Alby 10-29-2012 10:44 PM

sign his cell phone up for cat facts :D

lundyt 10-29-2012 10:45 PM

Live and learn I guess. Rookie mistake. The one thing about apple products is no where does it signify which carrier it belongs to

1exotic 10-29-2012 10:47 PM

can't you get it haxed and unlocked

lundyt 10-29-2012 10:47 PM

The box was open and I was able to boot up the phone to make sure it was at least real. But unlike old phones where the imei is located under the battery no where on the phone says the number til you actually put a Sim card in. And during boot up of doesn't flash a courier logo or anything

rexsomnii 10-29-2012 10:55 PM

EVERYONE SPAM HIS PHONE !

dn53 10-29-2012 10:59 PM

Could've been worse, it can still be sold. My friend ended up with a sealed box of rocks

snails 10-29-2012 11:03 PM

im going to make a craigslist post with his phone number telling something for a really good deal.... hahahah brb

back... IT HAS BEEN DONE :awwyeah:

TRDood 10-29-2012 11:03 PM

He doesn't have an existing nano sim for the phone? How did you test it?

If he says the ip5 is locked to Rogers, and if he has a working nano sim, you should be able to check the carrier under settings. What does the receipt say? Is it from Apple or Rogers or Bell?

It sounds like he had no nano sim and you just checked to see if the phone works in general... You didn't even confirm if the phone even can make calls! :fulloffuck:
Posted via RS Mobile

BaoTurbo 10-29-2012 11:06 PM

I would have cash in hand and rip it open if it was sealed in box. Because it's not hard to get access to shrink. Hell, I can get it from my workplace and do whatever I want. Just some friendly advice to watch out for these "sealed in box" scams

AzNightmare 10-29-2012 11:36 PM

Sucks to hear. At the very least, sell it and make some money back.

TBH, after a sale on CL, I would probably not pick up either just because I don't want to hear any whining from
the buyer regardless of the issue. All Sales are Final in CL.

I wonder why the guy would scam and put the wrong carrier though?
It's probably not an honest mistake, but it doesn't really make logical sense either.

It's not like he sold you a brick. Or do Rogers iPhones have more value than Bell versions?
I don't know anything about iPhones. But to me, just doesn't make sense why he couldn't
have just list his ad as a Bell iPhone in the first place. Not like it wouldn't have sold either way.

Is the phone even 32gb at the very least? like he claimed it was?

mmmk 10-29-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 8068188)
can't you get it haxed and unlocked

It'll cost $50 from Bell in this case.
No unlocking through jailbreaking yet so far...

parm104 10-29-2012 11:51 PM

Sucks to hear man. This is far to common on Craigslist these days. There isn't much you can do right now, I don't think Bell will give you an unlock code because that phone is locked to a contract. Most Canadian carriers require you to buy out the contract first, then pay for an unlock code.

You're probably best off putting it up for sale; I'm sure you can get what you paid for back.

Word to the wise, as much as you would want BNIB, it's just not safe to do so on Craigslist. We saw how thieves were shrink-wrapping iPad boxes with cement clay in them and returning them to Best Buy retail locations last Christmas. Thieves are finding news way to con us, ways we've never even thought of.

1. Always be prepared to test the phone out that you buying. Have a sim card ready to use, and ask for a test call.

2. Try the internet to ensure that it is the right version. You don't want to end up with an AWS model when you're not looking for one.

3. Check the IMEI on the device (either digitally on iPhones or underneath the battery on other phones) and match it up to the sticker on the box.

You learn from your mistakes, and although I doubt you will get any recourse from this guy, look on the bright side. You still have a perfectly working product that you can get your money back with a minimal loss. It could've been worse.

Mr.HappySilp 10-30-2012 12:02 AM

Sucks but what you should have done is walk to a rogers store and get the nano sim and test it on the spot. At least when i buy/sell phone on RS I always make sure it works and have the buyer checks it as well.

It might take an extra 10mins but is saves a lot of headaches. Also just coz he said is new maybe he stole it and it might not even work. The only way to tell if it is working is actually stuck a sim in and make calls and use the data as well.

viet604778 10-30-2012 12:17 AM

Why not try putting an ad on CL for trading iphone 5 bell for a iphone 5 roger? When i buy my phones i always go to the provider and ask if anyone there has an iphone that i can borrow their sim for just a second to test out the phone.

xilley 10-30-2012 12:27 AM

Honestly, the first few words I read I thought "Oh fuck, someone got a fake Iphone 5."
but it turns out its not Thaaat bad.. Atleast you did get an Iphone 5 and that means its still valuable.

anyways I hope you get it sorted out soon !

Eff-1 10-30-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8068179)
Ouch man, I guess in these cases, it's best to ask for 2 pieces of ID.

Any honest/legit buyer would show them.

Not necessarily. Even if I know I'm selling legit stuff, I'm not going to hand over my ID to a stranger only to have him bother me later on if something goes wrong.