REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,906 Times in 753 Posts
2yr old gets killed at Pittsburgh Zoo - mauled by pack of 'African Paint Dogs'

very upsetting and disturbing...

here's a question for you..

a child of yours falls in.. would you immediately go in to save him/her? facing possible death.

UPDATE: Pittsburgh Zoo CEO says boy was killed by dogs, not fall - latimes.com

The 2-year-old Pennsylvania boy who died at the Pittsburgh Zoo over the weekend bounced two times on a protective netting after falling off a railing and into an African painted dog exhibit, where the dogs then attacked and killed him, the zoo's chief executive said Monday.

Barbara Baker, who has been with the zoo since 1990, occasionally looked distressed during the morning news conference as she answered questions Sunday's tragedy -- what she said is the first visitor death in the venue's more-than-100-year history.

“The zoo feels terrible that this tragic accident happened," she said, then choking up as she added, “It’s the worst nightmare, as a zoo professional."

Witnesses told police that the boy's unidentified 34-year-old mother, from Pleasant Hills, Pa., had sat him on the 4-foot railing along an elevated viewing area. Then he fell.

“From witnesses’ accounts, the child was so small that he bounced, he bounced twice, and then he bounced into the exhibit," Baker said, after taking a long pause. "So the safety net did catch him, it just didn’t hold him.”

Staffers rushed to the scene but it was too late, Baker said. “It happened so quickly, it happened literally in seconds, it was very, very quick," she said. "There was very, very little anybody could do.”

Police shot one dog that refused to retreat from the exhibit when called. Baker said a medical examination showed that the boy had been killed by the dogs, not the fall.

The zoo passed recent inspections and "discouraged" visitors from putting children on such railings, Baker said, although she did not elaborate on whether there were specific policies or regulations in place.

She acknowledged there were no warning signs on the enclosure's railing.

Police are investigating the incident and Baker said that the zoo would, too.

The dogs, who Baker said are the most endangered canine species in the world, will not be put down. They have been put into a 30-day quarantine and the exhibit will be closed until further notice; police now have custody of the scene.

The rest of the zoo, however, was scheduled to reopen Tuesday, Baker said, so that visitors could pay their respects. She said zoo officials around the world have sent condolences.

One reporter asked Baker whether she took responsibility for not creating a fail-proof exhibit.

"Life is full of risk," she said. "There’s no fail-proof part of risk in life. We do everything we possibly can and evaluate it every day. The safety not only of our visitors but our staff as well. We work with wild animals, we work with dangerous animals every day."

The reporter interrupted and pressed her: Do you take responsibility for not creating a failproof exhibit?

“There is no such thing as a failproof exhibit," she said.

Officials had already reviewed the park for safety and will continue to look at other potential changes, she said.
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
the boy's unidentified 34-year-old mother, from Pleasant Hills, Pa., had sat him on the 4-foot railing along an elevated viewing area. Then he fell

snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
I don't get it

Murder was the case.
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
One reporter asked Baker whether she took responsibility for not creating a fail-proof exhibit.

"Life is full of risk," she said. "There’s no fail-proof part of risk in life. We do everything we possibly can and evaluate it every day. The safety not only of our visitors but our staff as well. We work with wild animals, we work with dangerous animals every day."

The reporter interrupted and pressed her: Do you take responsibility for not creating a failproof exhibit?

“There is no such thing as a failproof exhibit," she said.

Officials had already reviewed the park for safety and will continue to look at other potential changes, she said.
What a dick reporter.. I bet if you put all the exhibits in solid glass boxes, people then would moan that it's animal cruelty, and they should be free.

No one can ever be pleased.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
Murder was the case.
Posted via RS Mobile
Blood was the enemy

Posted via RS Mobile
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

no common sense.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

man that is real sad..i have a 4month old and i cant imagine what the father was going through when it was happening
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
RIP
Posted via RS Mobile
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #9

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Fail proof? More like people need to be idiot proofed.

Its not like the toddler climbed up and over the ledge. She was put on there by her idiot mother.

And yea, I have a feeling that murder is the case. The only way a child would fall is if left unattended.. At the very least, the mother should face some type of negligience causing death, charges.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

rip. but the parent shouldnt have put the kid on the railing as well.
hpw912 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

As cruel as it may sound, I don't think the fault should be placed on the zoo but rather on the mother. It should be common sense to not place a kid on a railing especially over such danger, I just think it's darwin's theory doing it's magic.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
heard that they're unsure if the fall killed him or the dogs

mothers fault
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
heard that they're unsure if the fall killed him or the dogs

mothers fault
Police shot one dog that refused to retreat from the exhibit when called. Baker said a medical examination showed that the boy had been killed by the dogs, not the fall.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
As cruel as it may sound, I don't think the fault should be placed on the zoo but rather on the mother.
doesn't sound cruel at all. sounds factual.

+1 on the retard reporter. great answer by the lady though:

Quote:
“There is no such thing as a failproof exhibit,"
i think it would be ignorant to think anything is fail proof or perfect.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
RIP.

This raises a lot of questions..both about the zoo and some shitty parenting
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Honestly I put no blame on the zoo... They have precautions set in place. If the kid was heavier/bigger he probably would have stayed in the safety net. There's no reason for you to put a fidgety 2 year old on a railing to get a better view. The kid probably didn't even know wtf is going on when he was at the zoo.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
I subscribe to Revscene

The zoo passed recent inspections and "discouraged" visitors from putting children on such railings, Baker said, although she did not elaborate on whether there were specific policies or regulations in place.

The zoo is liable and should've taken into account one of these light babies rolling into the pen. I would award the parents a low end settlement of 100-300k+ because of the nature of the freak accident... A zoo isnt suppose to be animal viewing in the African wild, a zoo should at all times be a safe place.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #18

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
There's no reason for you to put a fidgety 2 year old on a railing to get a better view. The kid probably didn't even know wtf is going on when he was at the zoo.
+1
I stay the fuck away from railings in the mall for that reason. Blew my mind knowing that parents who put their kids in harms way like that.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post

The zoo is liable and should've taken into account one of these light babies rolling into the pen. I would award the parents a low end settlement of 100-300k+ because of the nature of the freak accident... A zoo isnt suppose to be animal viewing in the African wild, a zoo should at all times be a safe place.
Good thing you're not a judge.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
I subscribe to Revscene

They skimped out on real safety, the zoo should pay. It doesnt take a genius to devise a proper barrier.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
I subscribe to Revscene

The actual protective fence.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
Finally had to pull the ignore trigger on Charles.. Here is a quick link if anyone wants..

If we put walls or barriers in every single public spot where someone *could* drop their kid, we would have to put full glass windows or giant nets in every mall, workplace, 2+ story building, stadium, office, etc.

Furthermore, the zoo recently passed inspections. Which means that it was fully compliant with what the authorities felt were reasonable safety measures. If anyone gets blamed, it needs to be the zoo safety standards organization.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #23
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

oh look a barrier to keep me from falling into danger. may be a good idea to prop my kid on top of it.

would anyone in their right mind balance their kid on the 2nd floor railing at Metrotown?

how about outside a hotel window?....oh wait....

Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,419 Times in 255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Fail proof? More like people need to be idiot proofed.

Its not like the toddler climbed up and over the ledge. She was put on there by her idiot mother.

And yea, I have a feeling that murder is the case. The only way a child would fall is if left unattended.. At the very least, the mother should face some type of negligience causing death, charges.
Posted via RS Mobile
Couldn't have put it better myself. Such a shame that the kid had to pay for the mother's stupidity.
j.f0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #25
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Furthermore, the zoo recently passed inspections. Which means that it was fully compliant with what the authorities felt were reasonable safety measures. If anyone gets blamed, it needs to be the zoo safety standards organization.
are you going to let big brother tell you what's adequate for your protection?! the more at risk you are; the quicker you die; the poorer you are the better for them! don't let their safety inspections fool you one bit!

~CiC

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: