REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Chrysler is recalling more than 900,000 older-model Jeep SUVs

Quote:
DETROIT — Chrysler is recalling more than 919,000 older-model Jeep Grand Cherokee and Liberty SUVs worldwide because the air bags can inflate while people are driving them.

The recall affects Grand Cherokees from the 2002 through 2004 model years and Libertys from model years 2002 and 2003, according to documents posted Friday on the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.

The safety agency said that a part can fail in the air bag control computer, and the front and side air bags can inflate while the SUVs are being driven. An agency investigation started last year found that the air bags went off 215 times, causing 81 minor injuries. No crashes were reported, but NHTSA said the problem could cause a wreck.

Chrysler, which makes Jeeps, will install an electrical filter free of charge to fix the problem. The company will begin notifying owners of the recall in January.

The recall includes nearly 745,000 SUVs in the U.S., 49,000 in Canada and 22,000 in Mexico. The rest are outside North America.

Dashboard warning lights normally come on before the air bags are inflated, Chrysler spokesman Eric Mayne said. If that happens, the driver should contact a Jeep dealer.

The problem happens in less than three-hundredths of a percent of the vehicles on the road, Mayne said.

NHTSA began investigating the air bags in October of last year after getting complaints about air bags inflating for no reason in Jeep Libertys. Investigators traced the cause to electrical stress on one of two circuits in the control computer. The problem also causes the seat belts to tighten as if a collision were about to happen.

The Grand Cherokees covered by the recall were built from Aug. 1, 2001 to May 16, 2003, while the Libertys were built from June 6, 2001 to March 19, 2003.
Jeep Recall: Chrysler Recalls 919,000 SUVs To Fix Airbag Problem
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
this came to mind
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
I wonder how many of those jeeps are still running. I mean, its American.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
My 1966 American made Detroit iron, still running.

Last edited by finbar; 11-09-2012 at 08:40 PM.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
We bought a new Grand Cherokee limited back in 1996 fro just over $40,000, it was basically scrap metal by 2001. Biggest hunk of shit I've ever driven.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
We bought a new Grand Cherokee limited back in 1996 fro just over $40,000, it was basically scrap metal by 2001. Biggest hunk of shit I've ever driven.
Shafto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I hate grand Cherokees, every one i know that had one were always complaining about this and that breaking or acting up.. or they would get me to fix their power windows etc. My 98 Cherokee is high mileage but it is still running strong, just regular maintenance. Finally replaced the oil pump last year, then this year was a fuel pump, crank angle sensor and cleaned the Neutral safety switch.
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote