REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Quarter panel scrape. Worth getting fixed? Or how can I fix/hide it myself? PIC (https://www.revscene.net/forums/676418-quarter-panel-scrape-worth-getting-fixed-how-can-i-fix-hide-myself-pic.html)

dryjesus 11-10-2012 02:10 AM

Quarter panel scrape. Worth getting fixed? Or how can I fix/hide it myself? PIC

My sister somehow backed into a concrete pillar in the Metrotown parking lot a few months ago and we've never really gotten around to doing anything about the damage because it's not so bad. How much do you think it would cost for this to be fixed professionally? Or how would you suggest I fix/hide this myself? (if possible). Thanks in advance.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_0200.jpg

Edit: It's a 2008 BMW 323i

mb_ 11-10-2012 02:49 AM

Looks like it'll need to be repainted. Hit up Boyd Autobody, highly recommend them and they're an RS sponsor.
Posted via RS Mobile

fliptuner 11-10-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryjesus (Post 8077819)
My sister somehow backed into a concrete pillar in the Metrotown parking lot a few months ago and we've never really gotten around to doing anything about the damage because it's not so bad.

I know, right? I could barely see the damage. I thought it was just a reflection.

You should just call ICBC and get them to fix it.

asian_XL 11-10-2012 04:24 AM

How about vinyl wrap the whole car by yourself :devil:

FerrariEnzo 11-10-2012 04:40 AM

its not bad now.. but if you keep holding off, depending how deep, and with winter rolling around, it could rust if not treated...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8077827)
You should just call ICBC and get them to fix it.

If he doesnt mind his rates going up.. I would hold off, If you can pay if off yourself, dont bother with ICBC...

DJ Milk 11-10-2012 12:31 PM

Looks like it needs more then just a repaint. The crease around the wheel looks uneven from the middle of the arch to the door.

dryjesus 11-10-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8077837)
How about vinyl wrap the whole car by yourself :devil:

I'm not gonna lie, i thought about it :p

And yeah, some of the scratches are almost, if not already, reaching the metal. I'd like to avoid dealing with ICBC if possible...

1exotic 11-10-2012 12:55 PM

ya that looks like a simple fix
just needs a little body work, that spot would get painted, and blend the clear coat on that pannel.

TurboFC3S 11-10-2012 12:58 PM

sand it down with a sanding block with 180 grit till the scratches are as blended in as possible put some filler for the deep scratches then sand that down, work your way to 320 grit then blend in the paint, if its almost down to the metal or down to the metal you cannot just buff it out lol.

Like mentioned above it will rust slowly, at the very least sand it down then spray etching primer on it so it wont rust. wont look nice but will save you time and money down the road once you get around to fixing it. (its hard to tell how bad it is by that pic though)

BMW M5 11-10-2012 01:21 PM

Just drive over to Canadian tire and buy a can of spray paint that matches the best. Also a can of clear coat if u want it to look good. Its a easy fix and it will look good as new when finished.

dryjesus 11-10-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFC3S (Post 8078004)
sand it down with a sanding block with 180 grit till the scratches are as blended in as possible put some filler for the deep scratches then sand that down, work your way to 320 grit then blend in the paint, if its almost down to the metal or down to the metal you cannot just buff it out lol.

Like mentioned above it will rust slowly, at the very least sand it down then spray etching primer on it so it wont rust. wont look nice but will save you time and money down the road once you get around to fixing it. (its hard to tell how bad it is by that pic though)

I guess I'll be doing this! Any objections or last minute suggestions?

inv4zn 11-10-2012 04:40 PM

Make sure you have a general idea of what you're doing lol

donjalapeno 11-10-2012 04:56 PM

just go to a body shop lol dont make something worst

Sky_High 11-10-2012 07:04 PM

Dont worry, it will buff out :troll:

Bravo 11-10-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfGang (Post 8078142)
... body shop ...

+1

Don't fix it yourself, it's too big of a project to do, repaint, dent on the wheel arch etc...

hirevtuner 11-10-2012 10:14 PM

don't be like the guy who drove the supercar and put white tape on the dents lol

take it to a couple bodyshops to get an estimate and before we get snow/ice conditions cuz many accidents will cause you to wait longer to fix

1exotic 11-10-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW M5 (Post 8078010)
Just drive over to Canadian tire and buy a can of spray paint that matches the best. Also a can of clear coat if u want it to look good. Its a easy fix and it will look good as new when finished.

no bro leik just spray blue paint over it, it'll look better den new.

Ludepower 11-10-2012 11:22 PM

who cares about the minor surface rust...let the bodyshop take care of it.
If your paying cash...i'll take it to a small shop.
These big corporate bodyshops don't like to give deals and prefer insurance work only.

BrRsn 11-10-2012 11:36 PM

OP If you want a quick fix just go get a touch up pen from BMW ($10-$20)

First wash the area with some kitchen detergent to get rid of the grease/crap from the paint.
Get a pencil (old school yellow pencil) and some sand paper. Cut the sand paper to the same size as the eraser on the pencil, glue sand paper to the eraser. Use this to take off any rust/contaminants from the scratches and fill it in with the touch up pen. If it is a a really small scratch, get a tooth pick and dump some of the paint on a bottle cap or something and 'paint' the scratch with a tooth pick.

Obviously not a 'looks like new!' fix but it'll definitely look a lot better + won't rust. Plus, you don't have to be in a rush to fix it if its your DD, just do it when you have some downtime

I've used the above method for rock chips and they come out looking really nice, but eventually I get the hood repainted anyways.

optiblue 11-11-2012 07:49 AM

just bring it to a few shops to get it quoted. That looks like it'll rust if you wait!
Posted via RS Mobile

J____ 11-11-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFC3S (Post 8078004)

320 is way too course a grit to paint over.

OP, don't fix it yourself, it'll look like ass no matter how good a job you do. Without the proper equipment, technique and materials, it's too much trouble for a result that will look worse than the actual scratch. You drive a bmw, don't cheap out and get it fixed at a shop. Probably run you around 500 for repair and paint+blend 2 panels.

BrRsn 11-11-2012 10:12 AM

^ maybe OP doesn't have time or the funds right now, i see no harm in a temporary fix just to protect it from rusting + make it a little more aesthetically pleasing

ApePee2 11-11-2012 10:35 AM

Save yourself the headache and trouble. It wont hurt to take it to a body shop for an estimate.

Qmx323 11-11-2012 10:38 AM

doesnt hurt to do an estimate

because if you do it yourself now and it starts to fuck up, you'll be saying "damn, why didn't I just pay them $XXX to fix it"

headhunt3r 11-11-2012 06:48 PM

Can't really tell the extents of the damage, but I recently just had something like that fixed for my car, but it was just paint. There was no dent.

Fixed it at FasTrack Autobody, would suggest going in to getting an estimate done. Can't hurt since they're free.