REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Towed from private lot but no signage

Not sure if this belongs here or not but here it goes...

I got towed from a private lot (friends apartment) this weekend because I didn't register my car. There was no signage from what I could see saying that I needed to register and my friend, who was back from out of town, had no idea the building implemented this new rule. And of course none of her family members were home to let either of us know.

Anyhow, I was wondering if I have any grounds to get my money back the fact there as no signage indicating I needed to register my car. TIA.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

What grounds?

Were you the registered resident of the apartment? No.

dsot is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsot View Post
What grounds?

Were you the registered resident of the apartment? No.

Can I get someone who CAN read and is NOT 15 years old to give me an EDUCATED reply please?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
can't hurt to ask the people who own the apartments or w/e you call em. ask your buddy who you can contact

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Was the space you parked in marked for visitors? If it wasn't you probably parked in someone elses private space. You don't have a right to park on private property any more than I have a right to park in your driveway and claim ignorance because you didn't put a sign up saying I can't park there.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #6

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
How do you "register" a car at an apartment building? Is there a security guard/desk?

My dad got towed from our own apartment because he parked in a visitor's without displaying the visitor's pass. This was while there was a family emergency so he wasn't in his right mind; I talked to the towing company and the guy cut the fees by a bit, but we did still have to pay.

I'm also a bit skeptical as to whether or not there actually were no signs, or if you just missed them because you didn't think there'd be any in the first place.

IMO, you're out of luck. Especially if you've already retrieved your car. You can speak to the building manager to put up more signs but I think it's just going to be one of those "expensive lessons learned (that you shouldn't have had to learn in the first place)".

My 2 cents.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

"Car towed at owner's expense".

I always wanted to know if you could claim this meant the property owner's expense, not the car owner. Give it a try and let us know, will you?

If the spots aren't marked "reserved" or numbered and there are no signs, then I'd be pushing for theft charges against the towing company.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
"Car towed at owner's expense".

I always wanted to know if you could claim this meant the property owner's expense, not the car owner. Give it a try and let us know, will you?

If the spots aren't marked "reserved" or numbered and there are no signs, then I'd be pushing for theft charges against the towing company.
And that would go nowhere. The owners or managers of private property are well within their rights to call a tow truck to remove a vehicle that is parked on their property that doesn't belong there. There is no theft involved.

Generally, when the tow happens, the cost falls on the vehicle owner, though sometimes the person calling for the tow may be charged a fee (if no alternative agreement is set up between the property owners and the tow company).
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #9

Thanks for the input guys.

I've parked there numerous times in the past with no problems. The lot itself is designated as a "visitors lot" (versus the tenants lot which is on the other side of the building) with neither lot numbers or reserved signs.

I'll check again for the signage and talk w/ the building manager.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
And that would go nowhere. The owners or managers of private property are well within their rights to call a tow truck to remove a vehicle that is parked on their property that doesn't belong there. There is no theft involved.
Well the to company isn't exactly borrowing it with permission from the vehicle owner, and they're charging a ransom to release it. It's legalized theft.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I find a purse with cash in it.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameboy54 View Post

I've parked there numerous times in the past with no problems. The lot itself is designated as a "visitors lot" (versus the tenants lot which is on the other side of the building) with neither lot numbers or reserved signs.

If it's a visitors lot and the resident can verify you were in fact parked there to visit, then you need to make sure you get your towing and other fees reimbursed.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #12

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
^Nobody is denying that he was visiting the resident's house, the point is he didn't follow the steps necessary to stop him from being towed. It's not theft, and your little analogy with the purse is downright idiotic. I'm not sure where you get this sense of entitlement from (not the OP, the resident troll above me).

To the OP, do talk to the building manager, but if the building manager is like 98% of the other managers they'll tell you to scram lol. Good luck though.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
I subscribe to Revscene

I believe that the towing bylaws require signs to be posted warning parkers of the lot's rules and provide the name and phone number of the tow company, so make sure that such a sign is easily visible.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

We use to have "visitors" always parking in visitors spots in our old condo. They would park there 5-7 times a week for weeks t a time. Eventually these "visitors" we're towed since they where obviously more than just "visitors"

Talk to the property management and ask what the strata bylaws are since every strata have different rules.
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Not sure if this belongs here or not but here it goes...

I got towed from a private lot (friends apartment) this weekend because I didn't register my car. There was no signage from what I could see saying that I needed to register and my friend, who was back from out of town, had no idea the building implemented this new rule. And of course none of her family members were home to let either of us know.

Anyhow, I was wondering if I have any grounds to get my money back the fact there as no signage indicating I needed to register my car. TIA.
Some cities have towing bylaws that require signage. Here is Richmond's for example:

City of Richmond BC - Private Parking Lot Towing Permit Process

If there is no bylaw requiring signage, then I think you are out of luck. It's up to the residents to know the rules on parking and follow them. Unfortunately your friend didn't know the rules, but that likely isn't going to be a good enough excuse.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
I believe that the towing bylaws require signs to be posted warning parkers of the lot's rules and provide the name and phone number of the tow company, so make sure that such a sign is easily visible.
Are you sure the towing bylaws apply to private property? Strata has their own rules that they can enforce, and I believe that it is up to the resident to read the strata policy when they move into the building. With that said, chances are there probably are warning signs.

Quote:

just because you weren't caught before/no one called you in, doesn't mean you weren't breaking any strata laws. The property / parking stalls belong to the strata.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #17

The other thing is that visitors' lots are meant for high turnover, not overnight parking. If you are taking a space in the lot for longer than a few hours, you are definitely abusing the system.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
The other thing is that visitors' lots are meant for high turnover, not overnight parking. If you are taking a space in the lot for longer than a few hours, you are definitely abusing the system.
Really? My building has no problem with overnight parking.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
RS Veteran

Quote:
Just because your building doesn't have a problem with it, doesn't mean it isn't meant for high turn over. Maybe the fact that your building hasn't had issues with people abusing it, is the reason your building "doesn't have a problem with it"
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
I subscribe to Revscene

So then it's up to each building to clearly post time limits.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #21

Quote:
You live in Victoria, where I presume you can still park on the streets in many areas for free. If you live in DT Vancouver, where overnight parking can be $35, a condo isn't just going to open up their visitor parking to unregistered guests.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
RS Veteran

Quote:
You live in Victoria, where I presume you can still park on the streets in many areas for free. If you live in DT Vancouver, where overnight parking can be $35, a condo isn't just going to open up their visitor parking to unregistered guests.
not to mention, parking spots are tens of thousands of dollars extra to purchase on top of your unit..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #23
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
this.

at my grandfathers building i have to go to the strata office and write down my make model and plate # plus the unit i am visiting and the resident's name.

there is a clipboard on the wall in the hallway so that the office doesn't have to be open to fill it out.

this is in coal harbour btw

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote