REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   accidents without exchanged info (https://www.revscene.net/forums/676566-accidents-without-exchanged-info.html)

mr_chin 11-14-2012 12:20 AM

accidents without exchanged info

what are possible consequences if info were not exchanged?

scenario:

got in a rear end accident. both drivers got out and agreed that no significant damage was done. both walk away.

both driver have each other's plate number though.

xilley 11-14-2012 12:33 AM

lucky guy if the person that got rear ended dont report to icbc for the slightest scratch.

Prolowtone 11-14-2012 04:01 AM

^ yup. If neither person claims then no one knows of it happening.

mr_chin 11-14-2012 09:25 AM

what if the guy that got rear ended claims, how will they even find out it happened?

the case is, i rear ended someone, very light. his truck is fine, but i have a puncture on my bumper. we got out and we talked in front of my dash cam. i even told him that my dash cam has caught us interacting and will show both mutually agreeing not to exchange info and not to follow up on it.

he was okay with it, but i notice he was looking at my license plate a few times. just wondering if it's possible for him to make any claims on me without my driver's license and all that.

inv4zn 11-14-2012 09:39 AM

I understand you're worried, but this is how it can play out:

1: he lied to you, thought he'd get a free ride, and will claim it. He will tell them that you have footage of hitting him and talking to him; you will get called in, etc etc, huge headache about nothing (but since you did hit him...well.)

2: he looked at your plate just in case, went home, and forgot about it.

Most people will not care. I got rear-ended once by a kid (very lightly) and he looked so terrified I told him it's alright and to just go home safely.

Next time, to cover all your bases though, write a small note on a post-it or something, saying this incident occured at this location and at this time, and both drivers mutually agreed not to pursue any matters further.

vafanculo 11-14-2012 10:01 AM

He can file with ICBC using your plate number only. Few weeks later you will get a letter in the mail stating a case has been filed against you, and to call them asap.

You call ICBC, give your side of the story, and then make an appointment to bring your car down to an adjustor.
Posted via RS Mobile

xilley 11-14-2012 10:18 AM

well, from my past exp is that they will call you in to get a car check.
and they will see if the damage on the victims car matches your front bumper.

but if you said theres no damage AT ALL, then I guess he could eat shit OR if there was witness then.. =S

parm104 11-14-2012 10:41 AM

I think if you're at fault for the accident AND you have no damage to your vehicle, it doesn't really matter either way....

He could report the accident and hold you responsible for his damages. If you expected him not to report it and therefore didn't report your damages either and now want to, well then you're shit out of luck.

I don't know why you wouldn't report the accident anyways. You're paying for insurance and if reporting is a requirement to a claim, why wouldn't you? Don't be careless and be relaxed regarding something that could end up biting you in the ass later. Always report an accident you get into. Reporting an accident doesn't mean you have to file a claim nor does it necessarily mean that your insurance will go up.

inv4zn 11-14-2012 11:00 AM

For me, if an "accident" isn't really an accident, then it's not worth my time to call and make appointments, etc.

I would assume the guy that hit me feels the same, and if it's not worth any of our times, then just be on your way.

I guess it really does depend on the person though, and each one's definition of "accident."

vafanculo 11-14-2012 11:02 AM

With what you said, I wouldn't report it. Give him the benefit of doubt, and do what you both agreed on. Now, if he does file first, you wouldn't necessarily be at fault (in your case you would be found 100% fault - rear end).

Its not a race to see who picks up the phone first. I had a similar case. Guy hit me, I didn't really care, agreed not to file. Month later received a letter. He lied 100 % about what happened, but in the end, he was found at fault.

I believe you have a year to file a claim. Did you atleast take a pic of his damage?

Chances are he will file, just a matter of time. Either way you are at fault, just sit back and hope he doesn't file.
Posted via RS Mobile

mr_chin 11-14-2012 11:15 AM

i'm just afraid that he's gonna tamper with his bumper and then file a claim.

i think i'm gonna call icbc right now.

inv4zn 11-14-2012 11:27 AM

You're probably digging yourself a hole.

ICBC will be able to tell if anything happened...just forget about it, and if you get a letter, then deal with it then.

No reason at all to pick at a scab and make it bleed.

vafanculo 11-14-2012 11:52 AM

You're gonna be at fault no matter what. Itl cost you the same through ICBC whether he repairs a small scratch on the bumper, or if he takes a sledgehammer to it (unless you want to repay icbc back).

Plus you should have a clear shot of his damage on your dash cam. Trust me, just sit back and let him call in first.
Posted via RS Mobile

inv4zn 11-14-2012 12:55 PM

^This is false. It will NOT cost you the same through ICBC regardless of circumstances.

If he does claim damages and you want to repay ICBC (so your insurance doesn't go up), then you will only pay what ICBC paid the bodyshop.
I donno what car it is, but contrary to what vafanculo said, it will cost you considerably less to just repaint his bumper, than if he were to replace it.

If he tampers with his bumper and ICBC finds out (and it's pretty easy to) then you won't pay anything for him, and he will be charged with insurance fraud.

Again, stop worrying about it; calling ICBC is digging your own grave.

vafanculo 11-14-2012 01:18 PM

^ that's why I put in brackets ( unless he wants to repay icbc back)

But, if he didn't want to pay icbc back, and go through insurance, wouldn't his premiums be the same, regardless if its a bumper to bumper, or a more serious accident with more damage?

inv4zn 11-14-2012 01:24 PM

^Sorry, it was written a bit confusingly. My bad haha.

For the second question, it depends. If you're comparing accidents to accidents, then yes. But if there's another element involved (ie. dangerous driving, speed, alcohol, etc) then that's a slightly different story.

In any case, I think we both agree OP should just wait lol

mr_chin 11-14-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8081213)
^Sorry, it was written a bit confusingly. My bad haha.

For the second question, it depends. If you're comparing accidents to accidents, then yes. But if there's another element involved (ie. dangerous driving, speed, alcohol, etc) then that's a slightly different story.

In any case, I think we both agree OP should just wait lol

yea, gonna wait. looking through the dash cam videos, it shows his bumper has no scratch. it's an old truck, where the bumper is steal and it has a little step under the license plate. the corner of the step is where i hit, very lightly.

you can see a picture in the automotive detailing and car care forum if anyone is curious. it's very minor. i think it'll cost me $400 to repair base on what said post suggests.

XplicitLuder 11-14-2012 04:40 PM

if you can see what damage (if any) was done to his bumper, let him file. if he takes a sledgehammer and fks it up then goes to icbc, your dash cam has caught that his bumper has none or few small scratches. this is ofcourse if you are at fault for everything.

Phil@rise 11-14-2012 04:43 PM

deny deny deny. hows he gonna prove you hit him? I can write down the plate number of anyone behind me and claim they hit me but with no evidence theres nothing to prove.

xilley 11-14-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8081344)
deny deny deny. hows he gonna prove you hit him? I can write down the plate number of anyone behind me and claim they hit me but with no evidence theres nothing to prove.

now, I dont agree with that.
denying an accident you know you caused?

what if your in the victims shoes, how would you feel. IF it was 100% your fault then own up to it. but my past experience I had mix feelings because I feel like I got scammed.

heres my past experience :

I ve side scraped this fucking nissan van once while parking a very narrow spot, and I honestly didnt think I caused THAT much damage as I clearly see some old damage because there was already dirt covering it (compared to a fresh scratch that I made)

all in all ICBC put all the fault on me and it costed me $1351.64 I ll forever remember that fucking amount. the damages was One key looking scratch. and then icbc said the body shop had to punch out the dents and repaint the whole door. WTF? oh, thats right including the damages originally onnn it !

felt like I got scammed but what can I do. those old chinese couple blamed everything on me even though I had 2 passengers in my car at the time too. ICBC simply calls you down to check up your car and if they think its possible they blame it on you right away.

all I can say is Own up to your damages IF the victim does file. If not then count yourself Lucky man.

I highly doubt he would claim if its an old truck that has a steel bumper.

oh and theres 2 ways I couldve solved the problem in my case

1. paid him 300 for deductible on the spot (but I was too mad after arguing with them old chinese couple)

2. get my bumper freshly repainted.

but I did neither because it was my first time and I didnt know better.

Phil@rise 11-14-2012 05:09 PM

I'm not sayin its the right thing normally but if buddy that got love tapped agreed everything was fine no need to claim and then after the fact tried to pull a fast one claiming bullshit injuries or whatever then fuck him and deny it.

xilley 11-14-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8081375)
I'm not sayin its the right thing normally but if buddy that got love tapped agreed everything was fine no need to claim and then after the fact tried to pull a fast one claiming bullshit injuries or whatever then fuck him and deny it.

pretty sure you an I both heard alot of stories about that.
too many people pull that shit. they act all nice when the incident happens and right after they goes and claims some fucking bull shit.

but I was just saying if you know you caused damages, then own up to it.

inv4zn 11-14-2012 06:54 PM

Very off topic, but it's so fucking hard being honest and trying to maintain some integrity when a vast majority of the population are fucking scum.

I understand you both though.

OP, you're ok. Breathe easy haha

parm104 11-14-2012 07:32 PM

It doesn't matter what you agree at the scene of the accident. Who cares if they said they were all fine? Point is, it's his right to file a claim no matter what the circumstances and it's OP's right to file a claim to.

OP is suggesting that it's not worth his time to call in and report an accident. I think you might be confused as to what happens when you call in.

ALL you're doing it calling in to put ICBC on notice that yes, this accident occurred. That's it! It's STEP 1 to filing a claim down the road and Step 1 is a MANDATORY step.

Step 1 isn't a binding to make you go and visit ICBC, pay a deductible and repair a car or whatever. It's simply a safety step to make sure if you do chose to file a claim a week later that you have the option. Kind of backwards logic there saying "it takes too much time to call in and report an accident."

mb_ 11-14-2012 08:04 PM

Gonna go a little off-topic but similar incident

I rear ended this kid outside of my school, we agreed that we won't call ICBC but I suggested we exchanged information anyways. Later during the day this asshole calls me and tells me ICBC wants my statement.
Posted via RS Mobile