REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Witnessed Mustang getting towed on rear wheels - what can/should I do? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/676695-witnessed-mustang-getting-towed-rear-wheels-what-can-should-i-do.html)

inv4zn 11-16-2012 05:36 PM

Witnessed Mustang getting towed on rear wheels - what can/should I do?

Maybe not worthy of a thread but I knew if my car got towed like this I'd be furious, and would like to get people's inputs on what I can do, and if it's even worth doing. Owner might even be on RS.

Was driving home, saw a late model Mustang getting towed by a hook, with its rear wheels rolling on the ground. I don't know the circumstances, but the tow truck cabin looked empty, so I assume the owner wasn't with him.

I have the Mustang's license plate, and that it was a Unitow truck.

hungryRR 11-16-2012 06:21 PM

I feel your anger and I'm the same way but I'm going to assume and hope

1) the mustang has a standard transmission
2) tow truck driver put it in neutral

but good on you for going out of your way for doing this :bigthumb:

Glove 11-16-2012 06:27 PM

theres nothing you can do about it

murd0c 11-16-2012 06:29 PM

they could of disconnected the drive shaft...

inv4zn 11-16-2012 06:33 PM

Isn't there a "safe" limit to towing a car on driven wheels, even if it's disconnected?

TurboFC3S 11-16-2012 06:44 PM

^ Dollies if you dont disconnect anything with a regular tow truck... i think

how do tow truck drivers put they gear shift in neutral anyways, break into your car i guess?

Tow your car, potentially incorrectly like above, charge you hundreds of dollars then force you to sign a paper so they dont owe up to any damages. All Sounds pretty criminal to me lol

thank god ive never been towed :pokerface:

Hurricane 11-16-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8083116)
Maybe not worthy of a thread but I knew if my car got towed like this I'd be furious, and would like to get people's inputs on what I can do, and if it's even worth doing. Owner might even be on RS.

Was driving home, saw a late model Mustang getting towed by a hook, with its rear wheels rolling on the ground. I don't know the circumstances, but the tow truck cabin looked empty, so I assume the owner wasn't with him.

I have the Mustang's license plate, and that it was a Unitow truck.

20121116 180047 E - YouTube

That is a fine way to tow it during an emergency towing situation (and yes to the person who asked, they slim-jim the door and put it in neutral if it wasn't already unlocked/accessible). Perhaps disconnecting the battery if an alarm starts going off as well.

A short tow from the violation/breakdown location to the nearest tow yard would be no problem for a daily driver. Much less than if they towed it with the ass end in the air, and the front fascia played kissy face with the asphalt all the way over.

What exactly is the owner supposed to do with your information? Assuming the transmission is not completely destroyed (1:1,000,000 chance) is he somehow going to convince UniTow to pay a bunch of money because its a little harder to shift from 2nd to 3rd than it was before? Good luck.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder why people don't just mind their own business when they come across something so trivial.

What if the drive-shaft has been disconnected like already mentioned? What if the car was involved in a robbery and the police wanted the car taken for forensic examination ASAP? What if the driver was a drunk idiot parked in the emergency only zone at the hospital? What if the owner requested the car be towed that way?

You're are making way too many assumptions in your initial post.

If you're so distraught about that method of towing, I suggest being very aware of how and where your car is kept at all times.

In the real world, that kind of towing has no lasting reminders for 99.9% of us.

inv4zn 11-16-2012 07:23 PM

Hmm. Thanks taking the time for letting us know you only care for yourself

Kind of disheartening how you try to look out for strangers and get told to mind your own business. But I'm sure you're much more pleasant in real life.

Your post is just as full of assumptions as mine, and I didn't make any. I was asking if there's anything I can do in case the guy's nice car is fucked up because of a tow-truck driver. Tow-truck companies aren't known for their integrity and willingness to take responsibility for fuckups.

I already stated I don't know the circumstances; all I know is I have some footage of a car being improperly towed, and if some stranger 3 months later has to fight with Unitow because his gearbox is fucked, I can help him out.

But I guess that concept is lost on some people.

LP700-4 11-16-2012 07:52 PM

Send Unitow an email saying you may need them to tow a RWD car to somewhere. Ask them what would be the procedure and see if their email rep is smart enough to recognize any of the precautions that they might take.

bloodline129 11-16-2012 08:00 PM

Koodos to u for tryin to help, slap in on you tube just incase... The whole world "apparently watches that" over a tv anyways... Puts a bad image on Unitow... Other then publicly critize them there is not lots we can do.... Unitow, cops, Icbc just go hand in hand doing whatever they want WITH government support :P
Posted via RS Mobile

s300ae 11-16-2012 08:35 PM

Unitow did the same thing to my IS after my accident.
Posted via RS Mobile

Hurricane 11-16-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8083228)

Hmm. Thanks taking the time for letting us know you only care for yourself

Kind of disheartening how you try to look out for strangers and get told to mind your own business. But I'm sure you're much more pleasant in real life.

Your post is just as full of assumptions as mine, and I didn't make any. I was asking if there's anything I can do in case the guy's nice car is fucked up because of a tow-truck driver. Tow-truck companies aren't known for their integrity and willingness to take responsibility for fuckups.

I already stated I don't know the circumstances; all I know is I have some footage of a car being improperly towed, and if some stranger 3 months later has to fight with Unitow because his gearbox is fucked, I can help him out.

But I guess that concept is lost on some people.

Who the fuck said I only care for myself? Just because I am logical, and realistic about what my actions can accomplish does not mean I don't care for other people.

You posted a grainy video of a perfectly acceptable method of towing in progress, so you could share your anger and frustration with the rest of us.

You are not looking out for anyone. You are hoping to be some kind of useless online hero who might or might not be making the owner of some car more pissed off than you already are.

I don't need a legal degree to tell you you can shove the court case and video up your ass as far as reparations are concerned.

Tow truck companies aren't known for their integrity and taking responsibility for their fuckups? It's a difficult business. Lowered cars with body kits, cars sideways in ditches, cars stopped in the middle of major highways, angry owners catching the drivers loading up cars. Its a business where efficiency matters, equipment is not plentiful, and many of the drivers are not exactly A1 members of society. So yeah, if your car is frequently getting towed without your consent, you probably don't deserve the utmost of respect (hey, I've been there).

All you have done is publicly accuse UniTow of careless work - but you have no idea about the actual circumstances.

And yes, I am a much more pleasant person in real life ;)

Redlines_Daily 11-16-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 8083215)
Honestly, I sometimes wonder why people don't just mind their own business when they come across something so trivial.

Says the guy who writes a fucking novel in response to OP. He clearly stated he didn't know the circumstance and was merely asking for advice.

Alby 11-16-2012 08:49 PM

^^ needs a chill pill.

if i was the car owner, i would thank him for having that video. yes, the car is towed for circumstances we don't understand, but hey, if that was my car and my gearbox was screwed that may be caused from that tow, that video would sure help a lot.

vantrip 11-16-2012 09:43 PM

I'll post this on vanmustang, maybe the owner is on their.

StaxBundlez 11-16-2012 09:57 PM

that's some hate; or stupidity.

trollface 11-16-2012 11:23 PM

They could have also removed the gear box and engine.

trollface 11-16-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 8083215)
What if the drive-shaft has been disconnected like already mentioned? What if the car was involved in a robbery and the police wanted the car taken for forensic examination ASAP? What if the driver was a drunk idiot parked in the emergency only zone at the hospital? What if the owner requested the car be towed that way?

You're are making way too many assumptions in your initial post.

Makes 5 assumptions.

Accuses ppl of making assumptions.

mqin 11-17-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFC3S (Post 8083178)
^ Dollies if you dont disconnect anything with a regular tow truck... i think

how do tow truck drivers put they gear shift in neutral anyways, break into your car i guess?

Tow your car, potentially incorrectly like above, charge you hundreds of dollars then force you to sign a paper so they dont owe up to any damages. All Sounds pretty criminal to me lol

thank god ive never been towed :pokerface:

correct me if i'm wrong, but I think that sometimes when they need to change the gear to neutral, or to release the ebrakes, etc... what they would do is the same as if anyone's locked their keys inside the car.

They'd jam this flat piece of inflatable plastic thing through the top corner of the driver's side door and inflate it with some sort of a squeeze pump, in order to pivot open a small crack at the top of the door frame, then they would insert a rod and try to scoop or pull up the automatic door lock/unlock button. and voila they will have your doors unlocked.

Real downside to this is that if they are not delicate with how far they pivot your door frame in order to get their rod in, they could leave a permanently larger gap at where they inserted their inflatable plastic piece.

knight604 11-17-2012 12:17 AM

@ Hurricane , shut the fuck up already.

What crawled up your ass?

inv4zn 11-17-2012 12:29 AM

Ok, I've renamed the youtube video.

To whomever said they'd put it up on Vancouver Mustangs, thanks. I have the Mustang's license plate # to confirm.

I'm not trying to be a hero...I'm trying to save some poor guy a massive headache, if I can. Sheesh.

Yodamaster 11-17-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFC3S (Post 8083178)
All Sounds pretty criminal to me lol

That's not exactly a false assumption when it comes to towing companies.

lgman 11-17-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight604 (Post 8083433)
@ Hurricane , shut the fuck up already.

What crawled up your ass?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Dream_Team.jpg
OH HE MAD

FerrariEnzo 11-17-2012 12:55 AM

maybe Hurricane is the tow truck driver.. haha thats why hes being so anal.

k3lv 11-17-2012 12:58 AM

http://www.gatortailgating.com/files...374_he_mad.jpg