REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #51
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Yup, I didn't know before either but it makes sense to do so. I would also say the price includes the experience since I had the services of a personal shopper at Harry Rosen for over an hour. Many of the older sales guys have each logged over $1 million in sales so they are very good at dealing with customers and are very knowledgeable in the product (how to take care of the suit, colour matching with shirts and ties, picking out shoes, etc). My sales consultant helped me pick out a shirt style and color I might never have chosen and I ended up really liking it so I had some similar ones made when I visited HK.

$2000 is way too much for a BOSS suit, I've seen them go on sale for $500.
Just a question, the suits at Harry Rosen always go on sale for 1/3 off. Did you get your suit when it was on sale or regular price?

when they have a sale, that place is a disaster and all the sales are busy
Advertisement
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #52
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
If you want Hugo Boss suits than drive down to Seattle, the most I would spend on a Hugo Boss suit is $1,000, anything over that is overkill and you find yourself in a price range were you get other suits which are much better in quality and fit.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #53
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
Just a question, the suits at Harry Rosen always go on sale for 1/3 off. Did you get your suit when it was on sale or regular price?

when they have a sale, that place is a disaster and all the sales are busy
I bought mine at regular price because I needed it for a wedding so there were sales people available. I'm not too familiar with their sales on suits but I do get a call from them time to time about any big upcoming sale, which they will ask whether I want to schedule an appointment to come in for a private viewing before the actual sale to the public.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #54
I don't get it

a 1k suit in Vancouver is only 400-500 in HK.

so many custom tailors in HK so you can have the exact suit made to your body with the fabric you want. Zegna fabric suits start at 6000hkd.

if you make the trip out to Thailand the suits are even cheaper, 50-100CAD.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #55

Btw guys, I'm selling one of my dark navy Burberry London suits which I purchased from Holts last year, it's a size 48 and fits slim.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #56
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
I am so confused.. What is the material of your suit (pants included) that allows you to throw it in the washing machine? Your suit should be wool.

1. I use to wear a suit and tie eveyday to work. You know how often I washed my suits? Once a season. Granteed, I rotated 3-4 different suits a season. Over dry cleaning will dramatically reduce the liftetime of your suits. Unless you're rolling in mud for work, you should be fine. Try to stay away from cig. smoke. Also, if I remember correctly in YVR, only a few dry cleaners had o site facillities. Fletchers is decent.

2. Try lightly steaming your suit in the shower. Meaning, take a shower, leave the suit hanging in there while you're showering.

3. Even if its a simple suit like a pure black suit, you'll never be able to match pants to a blazer. Why? Well for the same point you brought up. Chances are, the pants will be newer than your blazer and not to mention, it is just near impossible to get the exact same fabric. Having said that, I would assert most people in Van wouldn't be abe to spot the difference. Hell, most people wear suits with sleeves that are way too long. Asians in generals, also seem to wear suits that are just too big for them. When I used to work for Harry, they hated buying a 34 short for examle.. Always insisted on a 36R Lol
It was literally a 8 inch drop! And NO, these guys were not athletic in the least.

4. I like BR for budget minded folks. As someone pointed out, its around $360 on sale and even cheaper at outlets (not sure). An additonal bonus: They don't sell their jacket and pants together which allows you to grab a few pairs of extra pants. I think this is your best bet. ask yourself, will you be keeping your jacket on the entire working day? Probably not if you're in car sales. Guarantee you'lll always be wearing pants.

5. How soft a suit feels is not indictive of quality nor longevity. Actually, if you selected a exotic Loro Piana fabric, it may even be more sensitive and not 'last' as long.

TLDR:
End of the day, find a wool suit that fits you the best. Have it tailored. Use the dry-cleaners once a seaons unles you have crazy stains. Do not mix pants with jackets if they're not meant to be.
so you are saying you only wash your dress pants once a season? wouldnt it feel all gross due to your sweat and all?

any tips on how to wash your pants to keep it at its best quality?
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #57

Wash them in cold water, inside out and hang them out to dry.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #58
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

How do you guys feel about brooks brothers suits? They have a Milano which is their slimiest suit? How's their quality anyone have any experience? Budget is 1000-1300? Any suggestions?
Posted via RS Mobile
03-youngD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #59
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03-youngD View Post
How do you guys feel about brooks brothers suits? They have a Milano which is their slimiest suit? How's their quality anyone have any experience? Budget is 1000-1300? Any suggestions?
Posted via RS Mobile
never purchased a brooks suit, but from what i've read from other people who have purchased it, there quality is on par with indochino,

Indochino is a lot cheaper, but probably don't have the mass selection like BB
K3RMiTDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #60
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
has anyone been to the brooks brothers in vancouver?
wondering if their selection is ok.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #61
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03-youngD View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
For that price range Samuelson/JP Tilford MTM when its on sale @ HR. Full canvassed.
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #62
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

JP Tilford are pretty nice and comfortable, it's the Harry Rosen house brand IIRC.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #63
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

If you know your size, you can get really cheap brand new Armani suits from Ebay. I had some success with that.
ZoravarAntranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #64
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Ebay man is the BEST! Just figure out your size and order online for half the price brand new. All the Armani suits are slim fit and would work for you.
ZoravarAntranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #65
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Blair Shapera Custom Clothing

Starts at $700 tax-in for a Canadian made MTM suit. I've got a couple from Blair and I am very satisfied. I would never go off-the-rack to be honest.
Delatocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #66
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delatocious View Post

Starts at $700 tax-in for a Canadian made MTM suit. I've got a couple from Blair and I am very satisfied. I would never go off-the-rack to be honest.
Been curious about that place. How long does it take for the suit to be completed (on average)?
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #67
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
Just bought an otr suit from holt renfrew. it fits pretty well but could be better. Im wondering if there are any recommendation for a good tailor for suit alteration?

Last edited by Chronix; 06-29-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #68
I STILL don't get it

Bump

I have a wedding in mid July and also gearing up for jobs interviews in the fall, looking for a suit that would be appropriate for these occasions. I realize that I'm cutting it a bit short in time to get a suit ready for July, so I may rent one for that occasion.

Reading through the threads, it seems like Indochino is a bit of a toss up, but quality seems to be lacking and they do not have many deals right now. I'm unsure about buying OTR and getting it tailored if that's advisable, but unsure where to get the suit from. Also contemplating getting one from Zaras, BR, etc because I'm on a budget, <$700 if possible. I'm 38R if that helps. Thanks in advance.
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #69
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delatocious View Post

This. No, THIS.

Blair is the man. His suits start at $695 + tax these days and are made in Canada, NOT overseas. I received one as a gift that we upgraded a bit in terms of the wool used, final bill was $895 + tax but it is easily my favourite and best suit I own. I wear one every day to work and have 4 in my closet and was worried I'd wear this one out as I prefer it to anything else I've got. I just ordered a second one and it's money well spent IMO. He does a great job measuring and is obsessive on the final fitting when it arrives, he did my pants twice, adjusting them 1/4" at the end, and it was really worth it, it's a fantastic suit and I seem to receive a lot of compliments on it.

You have no reason to not book an appointment to go see him, it's free, highly educational and he's a great guy to boot, lots of fun to talk to. He has a ton of options for fabrics, linings, etc. I have just ordered a second suit from him this week, they typically take 4 weeks to arrive plus about a week for final adjustments once you have come in once or twice to try it on. However, it can be rushed for the cost of shipping, about $50 which I think cuts that 4 weeks in half.

Mark
Old 05-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #70

Always walk by Blair's on my way to work, guess I'll check it out. Last time I had a custom suite done was in HK in 2012, I think it's time for a new one. Hard to go back to an off the rack one after trying custom.

Any idea if he does shirts as well? A friend recommended Samson Tailors for shirts anyone else have experience with them?

feedback
iPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #71
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
He does shirts as well. I ordered 3 at $135ea and really like them but for me, shirts are too disposable to spend that kind of money. I love both products but feel like the suit is a lot better value. If I had the money I would bw very happy to have a full closet of shirts and suits from Blair.

Mark
Old 09-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #72
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
This. No, THIS.

Blair is the man. His suits start at $695 + tax these days and are made in Canada, NOT overseas. I received one as a gift that we upgraded a bit in terms of the wool used, final bill was $895 + tax but it is easily my favourite and best suit I own. I wear one every day to work and have 4 in my closet and was worried I'd wear this one out as I prefer it to anything else I've got. I just ordered a second one and it's money well spent IMO. He does a great job measuring and is obsessive on the final fitting when it arrives, he did my pants twice, adjusting them 1/4" at the end, and it was really worth it, it's a fantastic suit and I seem to receive a lot of compliments on it.

You have no reason to not book an appointment to go see him, it's free, highly educational and he's a great guy to boot, lots of fun to talk to. He has a ton of options for fabrics, linings, etc. I have just ordered a second suit from him this week, they typically take 4 weeks to arrive plus about a week for final adjustments once you have come in once or twice to try it on. However, it can be rushed for the cost of shipping, about $50 which I think cuts that 4 weeks in half.

Mark
Having done a ton of research, it seems everyone only has good things to say about Blair.

Do you happen to have any pictures of your suit? I prefer a slim suit with a more open front quarter and I don't know if Blair's (S. Cohen) made suits are cut like that from the limited pictures I've seen.
HolemanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #73

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etodac View Post
Bump

I have a wedding in mid July and also gearing up for jobs interviews in the fall, looking for a suit that would be appropriate for these occasions. I realize that I'm cutting it a bit short in time to get a suit ready for July, so I may rent one for that occasion.

Reading through the threads, it seems like Indochino is a bit of a toss up, but quality seems to be lacking and they do not have many deals right now. I'm unsure about buying OTR and getting it tailored if that's advisable, but unsure where to get the suit from. Also contemplating getting one from Zaras, BR, etc because I'm on a budget, <$700 if possible. I'm 38R if that helps. Thanks in advance.
If you don't mind buying used, I got a Gucci suit that's 38r that I'm looking to sell cause I've gain a lot for weight over the past 2 years. Worn the suit about 5 tines. If you are interested pm me.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #74
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etodac View Post
Bump

Depends on how often you will be wearing your suit. To be honest I wear mine maybe once or twice a year if not less. I just got a suit from Le Chateau a few years ago. I think it was $200 + tax. Still look brand new. Is not the best quality but it fits mine needs.

Honestly if you don't need a suit for work and don't wear it much (like mine). There is no need to spend so much. Another option is go to the Bay and get their off the rack suit that's on sale. Is got very good deal from time to time. Once you get it just get a tailor to tailor for you.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #75
Rs has made me the man i am today!

If you are willing to buy off the rack, I'd STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend going to EXPRESS

They have a few locations, one in Richmond, one Downtown
I got my suit there, and you can get slim fitting suits for smaller men

It was so good I got 4 suits for my 4 groomsmen, and they all are very different sizes, and it all worked out well
I got my 2nd tuxedo there too, and what's great is that they very often have up to 40% off sales. I ended up getting each suit for my groomsmen for about $260 each with 40% off discount (ended about $130 for pants, $130 for jacket)

Express | Shop Men's and Women's Clothing
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: