REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Traffic Lawyer Recommendation - need Nortary

Long story short, Got a ticket 18 months ago and I'm trying to argue for my charter of right section 11b.

looking for a traffic lawyer to represent me incase I fuck up on anything..

do you guys have a well knowledged and educated one you could recommend?

so Far I've been told to contact Jonathan J Waddington. ($2200 for a case) but online I couldnt find a single review about this guy.. makes me wonder..

please dont give me a free legal advice lawyer..

Thanks
Advertisement

Last edited by xilley; 11-26-2012 at 09:13 AM.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I could give you several suggestions but then the ones that appeared against me in court had extremely little traffic experience and usually plead their clients out for a reduced fine and walked away with their fees..

I testify as an expert witness in court these days and bill per the hour for case prep time, travel time, waiting time, time testifying and all associated expenses. Lawyers work the same way. I guess you have to ask yourself is it worth $3200 to defend you against a VT where the max fine is $598...unless there are consequences beyond the fine itself ?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I could give you several suggestions but then the ones that appeared against me in court had extremely little traffic experience and usually plead their clients out for a reduced fine and walked away with their fees.. I guess you have to ask yourself is it worth $3200 to defend you against a VT where the max fine is $598...unless there are consequences beyond the fine itself.
Yes, theres consequences, 6 months license prohibition. and this cop is on his A game.

this is when I was young and I didnt know better, took everything for granted.
I've learned now But its all too late and this ticket is out to get me.. lol

the math I did was :

Ticket; $800
suspension 6 months (makes it hard to get to school and work)
reinstate my license; $400+

a lawyer fee; $2200 pretty much means I ll be spending an extra grand to dodge the suspension and bad driving record + no reset on my N.

all in all.. this is only IF the lawyer is capable of winning which is why I m looking for the best lawyer..

And I m sooo close to getting my Class 5 too but I cant make it in time as court is in Dec..
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
maybe ask if you can pay a bit more on the ticket ? ie. 1000$ or w/e but ask them not to suspend you ? but explain all your reasonings , etc etc. but at the same time think of it as this, if you know your gonna get boned anyways is it worth spending the 2.2k ? by the looks of it thats what it seems, even if you got the BEST lawyer. but this is jsut my opinion, im a noob and dont know much

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
maybe ask if you can pay a bit more on the ticket ? ie. 1000$ or w/e but ask them not to suspend you ? but explain all your reasonings , etc etc. but at the same time think of it as this, if you know your gonna get boned anyways is it worth spending the 2.2k ? by the looks of it thats what it seems, even if you got the BEST lawyer. but this is jsut my opinion, im a noob and dont know much
well, I ve attend a hearing once and the judge realized the cop wrote the wrong ticket therefore the hearing was adjourned.

now the lawyer that I spoke with is confident that the judge isnt allowed to change a ticket FOR the cop.

I honestly am not too sure wtfs going on either. I m just here hoping to get a lawyer recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
your arrogance amazes me..
the way you talk on this forum always seems like you've never done Anything wrong in your life and your always right.

anyways, not looking to turn this into a fight club thread or off topic.

Mature discussion only please.

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
your arrogance amazes me..
the way you talk on this forum always seems like you've never done Anything wrong in your life and your always right.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

[QUOTE=xilley;8085680]well, I ve attend a hearing once and the judge realized the cop wrote the wrong ticket therefore the hearing was adjourned.

now the lawyer that I spoke with is confident that the judge isnt allowed to change a ticket FOR the cop.
I honestly am not too sure wtfs going on either. I m just here hoping to get a lawyer recommendation.

If this is what the lawyer is telling you then I would suggest you keep looking. A VT can be ammended in most cases if it is requested before the actual trial begins and testimony has been given. The issuing member can request a change if it is relatively minor is detail and the JPs always granted any request I made.

BTW...not that I'm entitled to ask...but what kind of single VT got you an $800 fine? Just curious.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
I bringith the lowerballerith

Probably excessive speed +611km/hr and drive w/o due care?
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Probably excessive speed +611km/hr and drive w/o due care?
Posted via RS Mobile
That's pretty fast!
Quote:
Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

1st level of Excessive Speed is from 41km/hr-60km/hr over the posted limit and is a $368 fine. 61km/hr + is a $483 fine. Drive Without Due Care is another $368. So I'm guessing something like that, in order to make a $800 ticket.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #12

Why don't they just have round numbers, like $350, $500, etc.? It's like someone just used a random number generator to come up with the fine amounts.

Or is that done so it comes out at a round number once you add HST?
Quote:
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
1st level of Excessive Speed is from 41km/hr-60km/hr over the posted limit and is a $368 fine. 61km/hr + is a $483 fine. Drive Without Due Care is another $368. So I'm guessing something like that, in order to make a $800 ticket.
something like that..
Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Why don't they just have round numbers, like $350, $500, etc.? It's like someone just used a random number generator to come up with the fine amounts.

Or is that done so it comes out at a round number once you add HST?
The numbers are 'rounded' evenly...it's the 15% victim surcharge levy that ends up with weird totals...eg $345 for excessive lower with surchange becomes $368.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

called accumen and they basically told me its a losing case
then Jon calls back and said we could appeal this crap.

what in the fuck..
Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #16

If your argument is about unreasonable delay, 18 months to get to court on its own is not seen as unreasonable delay. Any lawyer saying they're able to appeal without knowing anything about the ticket (ie getting and reviewing disclosure) is itching for your hard-earned cash. I remember one lawyer drawing out traffic court then charter arguments over multiple days and making himself a ton of money, all for a $138 speeding ticket and $109 drive contrary to restrictions.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
If your argument is about unreasonable delay, 18 months to get to court on its own is not seen as unreasonable delay. Any lawyer saying they're able to appeal without knowing anything about the ticket (ie getting and reviewing disclosure) is itching for your hard-earned cash. I remember one lawyer drawing out traffic court then charter arguments over multiple days and making himself a ton of money, all for a $138 speeding ticket and $109 drive contrary to restrictions.
Posted via RS Mobile
hes saying because the officer wrote the wrong section on the ticket it should be appealed.

as I was only the driver of the vehicle not the owner. and the officer wrote "owner"

but the judge has already amended the ticket to driver and all the lawyer is saying is that he could argue about it and get me off the case..

even myself dont see any possibility but I m not a lawyer.

this Jon guy seem like hes well educated and all but I ve asked around and no ones heard of him.

even though he got my friend off 2 cases one after another on driving while prohibited I still dont know if hes reliable as he kept telling me to drop off retainer fee before he proceeds with anything with me. seems as if he just wants cash asap but again my first time hiring one and I dont know how the lawyer world works..
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #18

Is "Jon" John Chak?

Tickets can be amended before trial for many things, but things like date, time, location and offender are fatal errors. Amending a charge section is rarely fatal and is sometimes done to benefit a defendant after bargaining with the police officer before court. (eg. Speed changed to Disobey Traffic Control Device)

Some police officers will mark down "Owner" instead of driver, as there are no points associated with tickets served to an owner, as a way of giving a break (if you'd paid without disputing, there would be no points to worry about and likely no suspensions to worry about).
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Is "Jon" John Chak?

Tickets can be amended before trial for many things, but things like date, time, location and offender are fatal errors. Amending a charge section is rarely fatal and is sometimes done to benefit a defendant after bargaining with the police officer before court. (eg. Speed changed to Disobey Traffic Control Device)

Some police officers will mark down "Owner" instead of driver, as there are no points associated with tickets served to an owner, as a way of giving a break (if you'd paid without disputing, there would be no points to worry about and likely no suspensions to worry about).
If the Owner section would not get me a suspension then I just fucking owned myself by disputing it.

honestly its so effin stressful, I need my license to secure my job.
without it I can go fuck myself.

but atm I think i m bond to get fucked.

and Jon is Jon waddington.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
Banned By Establishment

anyone know a Nortary that could swear an affidavit?

thanks !
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #21

Find a Notary - The Society of Notaries Public of BC
Quote:
This post thanked by: