REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   cheaper place to eat steak in vancouver other than keg (https://www.revscene.net/forums/676939-cheaper-place-eat-steak-vancouver-other-than-keg.html)

canuckshockey 11-22-2012 11:42 AM

cheaper place to eat steak in vancouver other than keg

where can you eat steak in a cheaper to decent priced place other than keg. anyone now. i live in vancouver.

skiiipi 11-22-2012 11:55 AM

Home-made
Go to a good butcher
Buy a nice cut of beef and grill it
Better than most chain resturants.

Other than that, you can get steak at like BP, or Original Joe's
But the quality is meh

You can get sirloin steak at asian cafes for like $10, but its pretty bad
Posted via RS Mobile

NLY 11-22-2012 12:12 PM

If you want a cheaper alternative to steak?

steak and egg bagel at mc donalds. It'll probably give you the runs though.

You can also try Alleluia in Richmond but it taste like eating a hockey puck

sonick 11-22-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 8088040)
Home-made
Go to a good butcher
Buy a nice cut of beef and grill it
Better than most chain resturants.

Other than that, you can get steak at like BP, or Original Joe's
But the quality is meh

You can get sirloin steak at asian cafes for like $10, but its pretty bad
Posted via RS Mobile

+1. Once you learn how to cook it at home, ordering a steak at a restaurant is a rip off most of the time.

european 11-22-2012 01:13 PM

I agree. Learn how to cook it at home. You can try Chop Steakhouse in Richmond, its right beside that Mini dealership but I think the prices are more expensive then Keg. I also heard good things about Hy's Steakhouse downtown.

vafanculo 11-22-2012 01:50 PM

Legend pub in Richmond has a good steak, and cheap, too.

Actually, since steaks aren't too hard to make right, I'd imagine any neighbourhood pub will do a good job.

Matlock 11-22-2012 01:59 PM

Home.

Places I buy steak:
Costco for Canadian AAA
T&T for Washington Angus
Cioffi's (my local butcher)

I don't have a BBQ, so I either george foreman grill it or pan fry it. (pan fry is easier to clean)

To season, I usually just salt and pepper, stab with a fork like crazy, then drench in olive oil.

"I like my beer cold, my steak medium, and my women hot."

The only type of steak I will order when I go out to the Keg is prime rib.

sonick 11-22-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 8088121)
Actually, since steaks aren't too hard to make right, I'd imagine any neighbourhood pub will do a good job.

Good call. Though consistency in how well the steak is may be an issue compared to actual fancy steakhouses, for the price you can get a pretty decent steak at decent pubs. Especially if they have a special going on where it's like $12 for steak and shrimp meal.

knight604 11-22-2012 02:14 PM

Ordering anything from a restaurant is a rip off but you still do it because you dont have to cook :D

tiger_handheld 11-22-2012 02:17 PM

the only thing i know how make besides a sandwich is a steak :D
it's pretty basic. the best thing i was ever taught!

winson604 11-22-2012 02:18 PM

People may laugh, but iCafe on W Broadway. It's your typical Chinese cafe type place and being Chinese myself I know what to expect if you ever order a steak from a Chinese place. However, the ones at iCafe are actually not too bad all things considered.

The most expensive one is the Prime Rib and I think it's $17.95 and comes with a piece of Prime Rib which is a good size, soup, bread, rice or spaghetti, and a drink. They also have Rib Eye and maybe Sirloin but I forget and I think it's $1 less and comes with all the same stuff.

Don't get me wrong, it ain't no Keg or Mortons but they aren't trying to be and the prize isn't even close so in my opinion anyway it's worth a shot for under $20 + tax and tip. I mean shit, getting a plate of regular pasta could cost you the same amount elsewhere

sonick 11-22-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight604 (Post 8088142)
Ordering anything from a restaurant is a rip off but you still do it because you dont have to cook :D

Personally, I find steak in comparison to most other food at a restaurant an even more of a ripoff considering the mark up they charge and how easy it is to do it decently well yourself.

For example, chicken breast or pasta probably require more prep work and technique to do well than a steak.

k3mps 11-22-2012 03:40 PM

xcite on hastings.
$10 and you get rice, salad, potato
decent steak for a decent price

CP.AR 11-22-2012 03:59 PM

get a cheap charcoal barbeque from canadian tire or something
get a good cut of beef from your butcher
fire away.

If you are afraid of messing up with the expensive meats, go get something cheap from price smart or superstore or costco and experiment.
regardless of how bad the grill or the meat is - it always tastes better when you cook it yourself!

Ronin 11-23-2012 12:19 PM

You can make a badass steak at home for $10. Learn to determine the doneness without slicing into it. Let that mofo rest for at least 5 minutes or like half as long as it was in the pan. That's the biggest difference for most people. Most just cut into the meat right away. Letting the steak rest is essential.

finbar 11-23-2012 12:47 PM

"cheap" and "steak" sound so unappetizing in the same sentence.
Fable does an excellent job. Meat 2 veg $22.

I like to buy a steak from Jackson's and grill it myself. Their aged ribeye
kills.
Some minced garlic, fresh ground black pepper and soy smeared about the steak makes it happen.

vitaminG 11-23-2012 06:24 PM

the players chophouse, now the ticket grill seems to have a groupon every other week.

two meals for $45 or so. even with tax and tip should be less than keg prices.

Gnomes 11-23-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8089249)
the players chophouse, now the ticket grill seems to have a groupon every other week.

two meals for $45 or so. even with tax and tip should be less than keg prices.

Looks like that business lives off those deals.

vitaminG 11-23-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 8089258)
Looks like that business lives off those deals.

no hockey must be killing them.

i actually got a groupon the first time they offered them. filet mignon was pretty good, new york steak was decent, service kinda sucked, but she didnt even redeem my groupon and still gave me the discount.

overall decent for the price i paid. Certainly wouldnt pay what their retail price is. still have the groupon i need to use now too...

kitsune 11-26-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3mps (Post 8088221)
xcite on hastings.
$10 and you get rice, salad, potato
decent steak for a decent price

This. Dont get the peppercorn gravy though.. tastes like shit.
Their lunch special for souvlaki is good too. Cant go wrong for 6 bucks haha
Posted via RS Mobile

Great68 11-30-2012 06:56 PM

Home made is best.

Made this tonight:
http://www3.telus.net/bryster/P1010963.JPG

Pan Seared Filet Mignon
Red Wine Boursin Reduction
Wild Mushroom & Wild Grain Pilaf

I'd like to see the Keg come even close to that.

Costco has such good meat. 4 of these massive tenderloins for under $30.

bcrdukes 11-30-2012 07:15 PM

Looks good!

Is that Italian parsley on top?

Great68 11-30-2012 07:25 PM

Hells yeah!

gearshifter 12-01-2012 07:59 PM

you can even consider aging it yourself:

Dry Aged Steak Kits - Dry Age Beef At Home - Vacuum Bags - UMAi Drybagsteak.com

PJ 12-01-2012 11:56 PM

The pub on Knight and 41st has a steak dinner for $10, can't really complain about the quality.

But like everyone said, if you're looking for "cheap" steak, might as well make it at home. You get better quality for lower cost.

I'll only eat steak at a real steakhouse. Steak at the other average places (Earls, Cactus, etc.) just isn't worth it to me.