REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

LF tax expert for Buying/Selling property

Hi! A few werid questions here. Basically I have my own property and my bf will get his. We are going to keep the title in our own names for taxes purposes. Now what happens when we get married and buy a house together?
-Will the house become our primary property and when we sell our own places.. we have to pay tax on any profits?
-Weird Q: is there a better time in the year to get married (tax purposes)
-Any books to recommand to read on tax savings/techniques?
Advertisement
OrangeIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
When u get married and reside in one place, that becomes ur principle residence, the one u keep as a rental, or whatever has a change in use, any capital gain is based on the appreciation from the value on that day

Ur basing ur wedding based on tax consequences? Wtf, and no, no advantage

Books? No, go see a professional, tax is such a vast and complex subject matter, if ur asking questions like those above, u likely wont 'get' it and will do more harm than good
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Basic answers:

A) The best way to go about it is stay in your "old house" , sell it , move to new house. This way your "old house" will be considered your principal residence and you will not have to pay cap gains taxes on it. If you move into the new house and a year later you sell the old house you will have to pay cap gains tax on the old house proportionate to the years you were not living there. hope that makes sense.

B) Nope. Everyday is good as another as far as I know.

C) There is no such thing as tax savings. Canadian tax system is designed so everyone gets dinged fairly. However there is such thing as "tax planning" for that talk to an accountant or you can read the Income Tax Act and try to understand everything and figure out ways

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Basic answers:

A) The best way to go about it is stay in your "old house" , sell it , move to new house. This way your "old house" will be considered your principal residence and you will not have to pay cap gains taxes on it. If you move into the new house and a year later you sell the old house you will have to pay cap gains tax on the old house proportionate to the years you were not living there. hope that makes sense.

B) Nope. Everyday is good as another as far as I know.

C) There is no such thing as tax savings. Canadian tax system is designed so everyone gets dinged fairly. However there is such thing as "tax planning" for that talk to an accountant or you can read the Income Tax Act and try to understand everything and figure out ways
That is the worst advise ever, you're saying to sell a house for tax reasons only?!?!? You should never do anything for just tax reasons.

If u move, u will still get the principle residence exemption for all the time owned and lived in, after that date gains will be taxable

Now, having said all that, real estate in van is going nowhere but down, so sell, but for investment reasons, not for tax reasons
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
OP was clearly concerned about tax and nothing but tax. I mean, they want to get married on a certain date for tax advantages lol!

So, I based my reply on paying the lowest possible cap gains.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
While not tax related, winter/rainy season is the best time to get married if you are looking at the cheapest time of the year. Most wedding related places/people are going to be busy during late spring/summer/early fall for everyone's weddings. Some places are booked up years in advanced on weekends.

We lucked out and had a warm and sunny April wedding. We took our wedding photo's in late November and got a really good deal from a wedding photographer. Her rates were less than half of what she normally would have charged during the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

why not buy the third house together under a holding company that you and your future husband own?