REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Help with conflicts in a work place (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677123-help-conflicts-work-place.html)

Yc 11-26-2012 10:53 AM

Help with conflicts in a work place

Hi Everyone

I want know what course of actions i should take, please give me some insightful ideas.

i work for a large parking management company on the weekend as a lot attendant. My job includes receive money and give out changes. On one occasion, i over-charged the customer in amount of $5.5. Neither did I or the customer have realize the mistake until after his/her car has left the lot. At end of the shift i have reported the mistake to my manager and wrote on the control sheet. Just this Saturday, i have received a warning from my district manager giving me a warning for making that mistake. I dug a little research and have found that no one else in the past have received warning like that for similar actions.

i believe my district manager have singled me out. i have been working at the lot for a bit over a year now. and over the past, i have been given warnings for not wearing uniforms. So the district manager and I are in a bad relationship. Other than that, i have always been on time, never late, called sick once and never been absent from scheduled shifts.

i have already talked to my union rep, and they think it's completely bs for receiving a warning like that.

should i get something out of it or should i just let it go

fsy82 11-26-2012 10:55 AM

You singled yourself out from your previous infractions and warnings. Why wouldn't you come dress accordingly to work?? $5.50 may not be huge in the large scale of things but again your previous history has given your manager a bad feeling about you.

Presto 11-26-2012 10:57 AM

Unless you're gonna be a lifer lot attendant, then don't worry about it.
What can you get out of it? More animosity with the DM?

Yc 11-26-2012 11:00 AM

I was wearing uniforms but not a complete set.

i was instructed to wear black socks, i wear white.
i was instructed to wear tie, i took it off during my break, and later i realized i don't get a break so i have to wear it all the time, my break is included in the shift.

anyways i got written up for the minor things but i don't argue it was my mistake.

sexyaccord 11-26-2012 11:48 AM

cut your losses and use this as motivation to find a better job?

Lomac 11-26-2012 12:05 PM

Don't labour laws require copmanies to give you a break for every X hours worked?

GLOW 11-26-2012 12:05 PM

infractions might sound small but you broke the rules of the job so it is what it is. if you make a bigger stink about this it might blow up in your face. doesn't seem like a long term position so take the bumps and find yourself a better job.

i think you're right lomac. i thought you must work a specific amount of time before getting a specific amount of time for break.

Jason00S2000 11-26-2012 12:06 PM

What a shit job. Tell your manager to suck your dick and start your own business doing something that involves titties.

Lomac 11-26-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 (Post 8091177)
What a shit job. Tell your manager to suck your dick and start your own business doing something that involves titties.

Follow in your own footsteps? :p

melloman 11-26-2012 12:12 PM

Your in a union man.

Let these little things go, because in the grand scheme of things you'll almost never get fired. The unions always got your back.

Jason00S2000 11-26-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8091178)
Follow in your own footsteps? :p

It's insulting that some paper-pushing geek would write someone up over $5.

melloman 11-26-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8091175)
Don't labour laws require copmanies to give you a break for every X hours worked?

Every 4 hours your designated to a 15 minute break.

Gridlock 11-26-2012 12:18 PM

You are a weekend lot boy at a parking lot. Not meaning to belittle you in ANY way, but this isn't the type of job you pour your heart and soul into. You can be replaced by a machine at any time.

Your DM on the other hand HAS poured his heart and soul into this life crushing line of work. Just have that go through your mind the next time he's on you for something.

Gridlock 11-26-2012 12:22 PM

Or just be a dick back. Get your union guy to make a stink on it, and report to his manager.

Sample dialogue: "I made a mistake, realized it and reported it. Still written up. What up?"

Maybe next time you are supposed to treat the $5 like a tip and pocket it.

Fuck I hate d-bags. Know your role. Are you supposed to 'believe' in customer service? No one gives a fuck. I park there because its: A) cheap, or B) close or C) available. You can sit and jack off between cars for the shits I give.

JKam 11-26-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8091176)
infractions might sound small but you broke the rules of the job so it is what it is.

It's not like he stole the $5. He reported it to his immediate supervisor and there's a written record. this kind of mistake shouldn't be written up. HOWEVER, I agree that OP shouldn't care about it. Making a big fuss about it might have the DM scrutinize OP even more.

Razor Ramon HG 11-26-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8091187)
Every 4 hours your designated to a 15 minute break.

False, employers are not required to give out coffee breaks. But since OP is in union, he should be getting one.

Yc 11-26-2012 01:35 PM

Thanks for the insights, i have a normal job in the Lumber industry from Monday to Friday. I was hired as a lot attendant before i got the lumber job and because the fact i don't do much, i have decided to keep it. i am working 7 days a week non-stop for almost a year now.

i know i shouldn't be making a deal out of it. i just don't think it's fair that i was singled out from the rest of the crowd for something i have reported.

To Lomac: i have signed the paper stating that i will not get OT for the hours i work during the weekends, my shifts are 10 hrs and 9 hrs respectively. i am entitled to a break on my own but i still need to be present at the booth.

i believe the intention of writing me up is to get me fired. i have read over the union book and it states that once i have accumulated enough warnings i will get suspended then fired. however the union book does not state that if the warnings at the time need to be fair or not.

i have report to our union rep however because the union rep is directly under the supervision of the DM, he told me he can't do anything about it. so now i need to report to another union rep.

melloman 11-26-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yc (Post 8091235)
i have report to our union rep however because the union rep is directly under the supervision of the DM, he told me he can't do anything about it. so now i need to report to another union rep.

... The DM oversee's a union rep? Am I missing something here?

Regardless, if your worried about getting fired, make sure you get your concerns out to somebody in the union that you can see yourself as being singled out.

They atleast will make a file/report of the incidents and if you ever are fired and you don't think it's fair (singled out again) you can refer back to this instance where the same shit happened.

Great68 11-26-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8091175)

Per Labour Code, For every 5 hours worked a company must provide a 30 minute unpaid break.

BUT, if the employee cannot leave for their break (IE a parking lot attendant can't leave his booth) then the break must be paid and included as part of his shift.

Gridlock 11-26-2012 04:08 PM

I had that exact situation once. I was hired for 2 jobs at the same time. So I picked the restaurant as my primary, and worked at a movie theatre on off days. I figured, why not. Some extra money and a few free movies. Yay me.

Except, the other people were pissed that I didn't have to do Friday or Saturday nights, because obvi those nights were busy at the restaurant. So they told me that I had to do one or the other to stay working...so I said I was done. Didn't need the hassle.

Have fun guys! You are STILL going to have to do Fri and Sat nights AND Tuesday AND Wednesday. You win!

I would suspect that your situation is the same as mine. No one cares about you, because they aren't the top priority for you. No one likes to be second choice. If you look deep enough, I would suspect that this is the issue for the DM. He can't call you for an unscheduled shift, you don't really seem to care a big deal about the job(why would you) and so on.

Volvo-brickster 11-26-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 (Post 8091183)
It's insulting that some paper-pushing geek would write someone up over $5.

I work retail.

Cashier's would get written up for being over / under at the end of their shifts.

Reasoning ?

Over = you stole from a customer
Under = you gave away company money

Don't know how OP's company works, but that's how it goes at my place.

falcon 11-26-2012 05:23 PM

Wait.... you have a union?

luibei 11-26-2012 05:42 PM

talk to your union and concentrate on the fact that (which is the biggest issue if what you say is true) you were given a warning and noone else before you has ever had a warning. If this goes nowhere then no big deal, just sit back and wait document any event where somebody else makes a mistake and doesn't get a warning for it. THe only bad thing about that route is you risk getting that person in more trouble with the warning. THe employer might say that these are new rules in place so who knows. Just because OP is in a union doesn't mean he is bulletproof. Some unions are stronger than others.

DC5-S 11-26-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8091181)
Your in a union man.

Let these little things go, because in the grand scheme of things you'll almost never get fired. The unions always got your back.

Lol. Union may always have your back but they sure as hell can't save you from getting fired all the time. Also depends on how strong the union is too
Posted via RS Mobile

smoothie. 11-26-2012 05:47 PM

Dc5, I disagree. It's pretty hard to get fired if you are in a union.