REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

imagine 30,000 people trying to evacuate the building due to fire, earthquake or bomb threat.
Advertisement
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
imagine 30,000 people trying to evacuate the building due to fire, earthquake or bomb threat.
And running down 220 flights of stairs, 10 is tough enough!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
meh.. I'm pretty excited contrary to some others here. I usually laugh when it comes to China building some random apartments or bridges that will probably collapse within a year, but when it comes to something as big of a scale as this, they are going to spend tons to hire the best engineers in the world out there. When it comes to showing the whole world what they are capable of, they usually execute successfully.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

Spoiler!
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
China makes all our iphones and galaxy phones lol. enough said.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
China makes all our iphones and galaxy phones lol. enough said.
Which have strict quality control restrictions set by the manufacturers because they will be sold in other markets. They have to meet regulations and even legal guidelines. This building will be made by China in China. And in 90 days. Do you really think it will check off every safety regulation?
Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #32
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
I can't wait to see this building fall
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,807 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
meh.. I'm pretty excited contrary to some others here. I usually laugh when it comes to China building some random apartments or bridges that will probably collapse within a year, but when it comes to something as big of a scale as this, they are going to spend tons to hire the best engineers in the world out there. When it comes to showing the whole world what they are capable of, they usually execute successfully.
Just like they did with their bullet train right?

Spoiler!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #34
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
Build quality is definitely a question when it comes to a big building in China.

-wonder if Las Vegas bookies can accept bets on the amount of time it will take for this building to fall. What are the odds of the building collapsing in 90, 120, 180 days?

This Lego building that was at Aberdeen mall a few months ago might last longer than this prefab:

Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #35
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
who said anything about running.. they will tumble their asses down.. haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
china doesnt care about quality.. they just want to make something bigger but its not better..

sure they can hire 50000 workers... but most of them arent even qualified.. why because they dont want to spend the money to hire the right people..

we will just have to wait and see HOW long it will last..
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #36
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #37
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
.... so im assuming there will be a MASSIVE underground or many level parking structure... imagine the hit an runs that will take place... or even just the amount of accedents with such a busy area... in china
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #38
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
I didn't know RS was full of structural engineers
Posted via RS Mobile
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #39
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Imagine the view from the Penthouse at 220 stories
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #40
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
You don't have to be a structural engineer to understand the concept of a square building being extended that high up into the sky and how wind affects it.

But don't take our word for it. Read the article I quoted a few posts back. Even engineers that worked on the one in Dubai are stating that there is very little information on how they plan on dealing with wind loads, along with issues about prefab units being able to take the weight. Not to mention that high enough strength foundation concrete to handle everything takes longer to pour than the entire project is planned to take.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #41
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoman1 View Post
Imagine the view from the Penthouse at 220 stories
Smog, everywhere!

toystory.jpg
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #42

I'm not worried about the engineers on this project. China has some of the most brilliant engineers in the world.

It's the management that I would be worried about.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #43
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
You don't have to be a structural engineer to understand the concept of a square building being extended that high up into the sky and how wind affects it.

But don't take our word for it. Read the article I quoted a few posts back. Even engineers that worked on the one in Dubai are stating that there is very little information on how they plan on dealing with wind loads, along with issues about prefab units being able to take the weight. Not to mention that high enough strength foundation concrete to handle everything takes longer to pour than the entire project is planned to take.
There's tons of skyscapers that are square. We literally know nothing about the project except a picture and so many people are already knocking it down without the slightest investigation. The following comment sums up how I feel.

Quote:
It amazes me the type of commentaries being made. Instead of giving some credit and recognition to people taking a different approach to construction, we remain closed minded in our thoughts and comments.

How much time does your average construction development company take to build your condominium? How many times are the project delayed and miss project milestones. What is the result? Still falling glass and weakening structures that people don't know about. Developers seldom tell you everything that is going on. Try working for one of these companies someday to know the truth behind those structures.

How long did it take to build the Scotia Plaza, Xerox Tower / North American Life Centre and how many workers were injured and died on those projects?

Let us not criticize what we do not know.

Take a look at Japanese engineering of underground parking for bikes, transportation payment systems in Hong Kong, German trains, Scandinavian systems. You will find that North American are not always world class. We need to go beyond our own arrogance thinking that we know everything in this world and as such are leaders in everything. We are not. We can be much better at what we do.

The Chinese ambition for this project is what it is. It is a marvel if they could pull it off and something we should watch closely to understand lessons learned that we can import into our own processes.

The modular building concept is not new. This process has been used in limited instances by some companies. However, the execution in a short time frame is of interest. What makes it possible to execute in such a short time frame that we cannot? My bet is they do not waste a lot of time at meetings arguing with one another about pointless issues and beating a dead horse.
I'll give these guys the benefit of the doubt until the thing falls down on itself.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #44
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'm not worried about the engineers on this project. China has some of the most brilliant engineers in the world.

+1. Exactly. The 90 days is really of interest. It seems like just a pretty number to sound good, and insane.

We could have a disaster if someone makes the call that it needs to be delayed etc, and management just ignores it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #45
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Posted via RS Mobile

The reason why people are quick criticize this building is that it's being built by Chinese in China. You know, the country that somehow allowed fake milk and fake eggs to be sold in stores. A country where capitalism has run amok and where anyone will do anything to make money, even if it comes at the expense of others.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #46
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
i vaguely recall reading an article last year about the connection between building skyscrapers and economic collapse. several examples were given. among them, the empire state building.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #47
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

You mean that choosing the management based on who is most paid up with the commies that run the joint isn't the best idea?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
You mean that choosing the management based on who is most paid up with the commies that run the joint isn't the best idea?
Well you saw in my previous post what it did for the bullet train!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #49
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I love the concept. I'm just not so sure it'll work in practice. Logistics would be a bitch.

It's a frakkin' arcology. The number of people who can live in that tower is six times the population of my grandparents' town and that is awesome. Building based hospitals, schools, restaurants, the works? Never take off your slippers again.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #50
Need my Daily Fix of RS

17 helipads... they plan on having flying cars in the near future?
ZordosZZ is offline   Reply With Quote