REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #76
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
BillyBishiop,

I very much appreciate the condolences; whether offered by a stranger, acquaintance, friend, or family member, every expression of sympathy I have received in these past days has been welcomed with an open heart, and they have been comforting in difficult moments.

I will briefly add: the deceased had amazing and full lives; first, surviving Nazi occupied Europe; then, immigrating to Canada and building a humble and picturesque existence; eventually, spending more than six decades married. They had not just a good, but a great time on earth. It is unbelievable and difficult to see their story end this way, but the wonderful lives they had leading up to that point are a saving grace. Never forget how fragile life is.. it had been too long since I went to see them.
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #77
Rider

Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
If I didn't see this thread when refreshed I wouldn't have posted but since I saw it,I take the bus in the morning and halfway to school bus I saw someone that needed a seat so I gave my seat to a child carrying woman
Posted via RS Mobile
rexsomnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #78
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I will briefly add: the deceased had amazing and full lives; first, surviving Nazi occupied Europe; then, immigrating to Canada and building a humble and picturesque existence; eventually, spending more than six decades married. They had not just a good, but a great time on earth. It is unbelievable and difficult to see their story end this way, but the wonderful lives they had leading up to that point are a saving grace. Never forget how fragile life is.. it had been too long since I went to see them.
Well, there' always the "better to burn out than to fade away" theory - depending on your point of view, there may be consolation in a quick end like this. Not meant to be snide or anything, either - I know personally, I often wonder if I'd want to keep living to a "ripe old age" if it meant withering away the last decade or two of my "life" - especially since we've been doing our Therapy Dog visits to the seniors' home, and regularly seeing people who are basically just existing so others can feed and bathe them, dressing them only so they can sit in a chair. Sometimes I think, if I knew my life would end up like that, I'd rather go in a blaze of glory (not until the last possible minute of course).

In any case... my condolences as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #79
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Something I found online that may change some people's perspectives...general feel good story. Not sure if true or not though.

Quote:
Roberto deVincenzo, the famous Argentine golfer, once won a tournament, and after
receiving the check and smiling for the cameras, he went to the clubhouse and prepared to
leave. Sometime later he walked alone to his car in the parking lot and was approached by a
young woman. She congratulated him on his victory and then told him that her child was
seriously ill and near death.

DeVincenzo was touched by her story and took out his pen and endorsed his winning
check for payment to the woman. “Make some good days for the baby,” he said as he pressed
the check in her hand.

The next week he was having lunch in a country club when a PGA official came to his
table. “Some of the guys in the parking lot last week told me you met a young woman there
after you won the tournament,” deVincenzo nodded. “Well,” said the official, “I have news for
you. She’s a phony. She’s not married. She has no sick baby. She fleeced you, my friend.”

“You mean there is no baby who is dying?” said deVincenzo.

“That’s right.”

“That’s the best news I’ve heard all week,” said deVincenzo.
As someone mentioned, people scamming for change are still in poverty. Regardless if they put themselves there or not, they're still looking for their next meal. In some respects, it's unreasonable to expect integrity and good moral ethics if you've been out living on the streets half your life.

Most of us here probably can't relate one bit to what kind of life it is, and to judge them by your set of morals and ethics is a bit hypocritical of doing kind deeds for the sake of being kind.

I try generally to help homeless people whenever I encounter them - as long as they're not threatening to my well-being.

We live in a society where we can't stand being taken advantage of, and go out of our every way to reduce or eliminate any sort of disadvantage to ourselves - and only after that will we help someone out.

Christmas is coming up soon, and while (unfortunately) I think the true spirit of Christmas is long lost, please do try to be more generous to those in need. If you think they're scamming you, but they look like they have no choice but to do so, take a small loss and help them out

True story that happened to me last year around this time: I was walking out of save-on-foods with my girlfriend, when a man approached me and asked me for some money so he can buy milk for his children. I asked him his children's names, and he told me they were Michael and John (or something, I made these up because i can't remember them now), and that they were 4 and 10. He didn't look homeless, but was dressed in light clothing in very cold weather, so I gave him $20 and wished him a Merry Christmas.

A week after, same guy approaches me with the same story, and for fun this time I asked him his kids names again, and this time he told me completely different names. I laughed and asked him why his children's names changed from a week ago, and he went very red, apologized and was walking away, when I called him and gave him another $10. Suggested that he remember the names next time, and went home.

Will he remember me? probably not. Did he spend $10 at the liquor store? I don't know. But honestly I didn't care.

Last edited by inv4zn; 12-13-2012 at 02:47 PM.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #80
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Was driving through a fairly empty parking lot tonight and I start to slow down because I noticed a few people were moving around their car, with the doors wide open and the tailgate up, I just assumed their loading up to leave. As I got closer, a guy waves me down. I roll down my window and he asks if i had jumper cables. I tell him in the most sincere way possible "I'm sorry, but I don't". As he looks down at the ground in disappointment, I hear one of the people he's with (i'm assuming his wife) say "I think you have some in the back, just check". So as he goes to his trunk, I pullover to wait to see if he finds any. AND HE DID! so he comes up to me again all excited, "I found some!"
Me: "Where's your battery?"
Him: *looks at his car* "I don't know, I think it's on the left, where's yours?"
Me: " we have the same car......"
Him: "oh ok, i'll go check mine"
so we get that sorted out and I put my car into position cuz his cables are like only 5 feet long.
As the guy goes into his car to start it, I look to one of his passengers and whisper to him "did he leave the lights on?". His facial expression as he nods
so the car gets started, thank you's and you're welcomes are shared, yada yada yada
the end
I didn't get a good count, but I think I helped 2 males, 2 females, and 1 child young enough that still requires a car/baby seat
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #81
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Well, there' always the "better to burn out than to fade away" theory - depending on your point of view, there may be consolation in a quick end like this. Not meant to be snide or anything, either - I know personally, I often wonder if I'd want to keep living to a "ripe old age" if it meant withering away the last decade or two of my "life" - especially since we've been doing our Therapy Dog visits to the seniors' home, and regularly seeing people who are basically just existing so others can feed and bathe them, dressing them only so they can sit in a chair. Sometimes I think, if I knew my life would end up like that, I'd rather go in a blaze of glory (not until the last possible minute of course).

In any case... my condolences as well.
Thanks, Soundy. You didn't come across as snide.

I've been mentally debating the end for days, and I've come to one firm conclusion. It's a terrible way to end, but there is a certain poeticness in it. After six decades together, neither wanted to live apart from the other, and now they won't. The opposite, they'll be sharing a grave.

The therapy dog work you do is an outstanding use of time - I applaud you, sir.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
After six decades together, neither wanted to live apart from the other, and now they won't.
That's a great way to put a proverbial silver lining on it

Now, back on subject... saw a blurb on Q13 last night, been looking for the video clip but haven't found it yet. Didn't catch WHERE it happened, I assume it was in Seattle...

Guy decided he wanted to help out a family in need for Christmas, so he got on Facebook, put the call out to his friends for donations, had them drop all the cash in a giftwrapped box... then went to his local K-Mart, cruised the aisles until he found a family he thought looked like they needed it, brought them out to the parking lot, and presented the box... which turned out to have nearly $450 in it.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #83
I am Hook'd on RS

sorry to hear about your loss mindbomber, i recently lost a family member but find peace knowing that he too, lived his life to the fullest. it will be a tough for you and your family to arrange the funeral preparations/celebration of life during holidays but from experience and the experience others have told me (and i don't mean this in a sarcastic way), funerals are one of the occasions that do bring families together and i hope that will offer comfort to you and your family.

soundy, you've hit a soft spot better to "burn out than to fade away" theory. i had the same thoughts when i witnessed him being reduced to skin and bones and the bruises from countless dosages of morphine. the experience further grounded my belief that euthanasia should be legalized in canada.. when the quality of life is lost, people should have the choice whether to continue/end their lives.

and to contribute to this thread:

- i looked after a coworker's plants for the month she's been away
- bought a plate of goodies from our tenant appreciation event to my office for those who were too busy to stop by downstairs to grab some. i especially grabbed a plate for a girl who i knew loves to eat cookies but was a bit depressed that morning and that definitely cheered her up. got lots of thank you emails after
- the building elevator clamped down on a lady that was walking in and wouldn't budge so i push the doors back for her to slip through. both her and i breathed a sigh of relief when the elevator made it safely to ground floor. she thanked me again and we parted ways
- friend got into a nasty car accident that shattered the bones of her jaw and lost a lot of weight because she couldn't chew so i told her to consider meal supplements and wrote down the name of a brand i used. at first she was hesitant because she had some pretty nasty ones (according to her), but she took my advice bought some to try and has been drinking over the last few weeks. it's nice to see her gain some weight and colour to her face
- i tipped a cab driver more than i usually do because he had to drive out of the downtown core area to get me home and i know chances of him picking up passengers on the way back is slim and i've always made it a habit to tip in cash cause i know he gets to keep it

that's all i can remember for now
lady_mapetite is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #84
Female Driven

saw a homeless man on the corners of downtown shivering in the cold... Decided to walk to blenz and buy him a super warm hot chocolate to warm up his Christmas! Merry Christmas, stranger

----------------------------------
Before sex, you help each other get naked. After sex, you only dress yourself.
Moral of story: In life, no one helps you once you're fucked.
FI-Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #85
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
my neighbor gave me a pair of cirque du soleil tickets.
i dont need them, so i figure id give them away.
section 204 seat 2 and seat 1
first to pm me with a number can have it.
located in south van so hope to meet around here. or richmond
FREE!

SHOW IS FOR TUESDAY DEC 18 AT 8PM

Tickets went to rizo Enjoy the show bud!

Last edited by Fafine; 12-16-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #86

Stopped in the IGA yesterday with the wife... noticed a stand of small bouquets by the door for $5, so I grabbed one... after we paid for our stuff, I handed the flowers to the cashier and said, "These are for you, Merry Christmas". The wife was kinda but I just told her, "Just committing a random act of kindness."
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #87
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
FREE!

PM'D!

Also to add to this, I have a pair of tickets to the Christmas market with 2 carousel rides for free if someone wants it.

I bought it off SocialShopper, but didn't read the fine print that it was valid any day EXCEPT Saturday... And of course the gf and I went on Saturday.

edit: market tickets claimed!

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 12-16-2012 at 08:38 PM.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #88

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Bought a homeless dude a bagel from Timmy's.

He asked "can you get me a coffee too?"

I said "maybe tomorrow." and went on my way.

I've been pondering the thought of that all day. About whether or not I should've just gotten him the coffee.

next thing you know he drives off in a Bentley
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #89
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
PM'D!

Also to add to this, I have a pair of tickets to the Christmas market with 2 carousel rides for free if someone wants it.

I bought it off SocialShopper, but didn't read the fine print that it was valid any day EXCEPT Saturday... And of course the gf and I went on Saturday.
Perfect example of passing it on!
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #90
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
FREE!

Tickets went to rizo Enjoy the show bud!
Thanks for droppin' them off as well : )
Could not have been a more awesome guy.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizo View Post
Thanks for droppin' them off as well : )
Could not have been a more awesome guy.
Yeah, really awesome... I PM'd him too... "still got'em?" "yep, feel like coming to south van?" "sure, gimme the address, I'll be right over."

Nothing...

Nothing...

Meantime, rearranged our usual Tuesday night Therapy Dog volunteer visits and got the wife all excited.

Pm'd again - "Just need an address, I can come get'em."

Nothing.

Real stand-up guy.

Quote:
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #92
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Order a drink at Starbucks and waited for it...the man in front of me put his wallet on the side and started fixing his 3 drinks while on his cell. He left and forgot his wallet, I grabbed it and ran after him before he went out the door (at this point people were wondering why I was running) after that I just return to get my coffee and out of no where he tapped me on the shoulder and said "Thank you and here's a free cup of coffee" He pulled out a $5 dollar and gave it to me. I really did not expect anything in return..including money..try not to accept it but he insist and I was late for work haha.
kiwee is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #93
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
Saw a guy left his 5 series' trunk opened in the heavy rain and just walked inside a place,
(I could close it but the alarm is already set.)
I looked for him and he act like I'm dumb when I told him his trunk was opened.

The guy didn't even say thank you and just move on.

[29-04, 00:14] El Bastardo: Santofu isn't the hero Revscene needs, but hes the hero Revscene deserves
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #94
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Just finished shoveling 3 of my neighbors sidewalks and walkways before they got up. They're all older and one of them uses a walker. I know one of them a son that will come by after work to do it but I already had my shovel out so why not.... Otherwise, I don't know how they'd get it done.

If I do some snow removal with my Bobcat later, I'll swing by home and clear all the street parking and the lane.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #95
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
while drivin to work today, saw a guy pushin his car on minoru. i parked my car at work. n push the car with him for two blocks.super tired afterwards
Posted via RS Mobile
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #96
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
I'm not sure if mine qualifies, but I wanted to share how impressed I am with my staff.

I hired a woman early this year to join my accounting department. Unfortunately, a long-time health issue popped up which has limited her mobility and forced her to be bed-ridden in hospital for the past three months. I've visited her and she is an amazingly positive woman who I've come to admire through these circumstances.

Fast forward to Christmas time. I started to plan our annual secret santa event. A couple of staff members approached me with the idea of having everyone put the $20 they would have spent on secret santa gifts towards a gift basket for my staff member who is in the hospital. I threw it out to the rest of the team and everyone jumped at the idea. So nice to see a team who are so compassionate to one of their peers. Additionally, my company has thrown in $500 towards the cause as well. They are assembling the gift basket as I type this and we will be delivering it in a half hour or so.

And to show my appreciation to my team, with my manager's support, I went out and bought 20 gifts for my staff. Have them all wrapped and will be surprising them with a surprise secret santa event tomorrow.

Kev
Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #97
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,452 Times in 146 Posts
wife and i were walking into Walmart, I noticed a guy walking out struggling with his shopping cart. Realized he only had one leg, offered to help him push the cart to his car.
jepho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #98
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
PM'D!

edit: market tickets claimed!
Thanks for the tickets PJ!

Will make a donation to the food bank on your behalf next time I go grocery shopping!
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #99
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I got home and parked my car as a woman in my complex was just finished loading her kid into the back seat. As i was walking past she started to drive away, That was when i noticed she left her umbrella on the roof. She took off and rounded the corner in front of me as i started to run after her and could here it fall off. I was going full tilt when i grabbed it off the road, past my friend in-front of my garage and up the ally. I thought she had left but kept running to the end of my complex and she was just getting ready to pull out after traffic when i tapped on her window and scared her and the kid in the child seat . then i walked back to my garage and friend to finish fixing has car after 10 hours of finding problems and running out to buy parts
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #100
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Was getting pho with my gf in Coquitlam. After we had our lunch, i went up to pay for my food. but the owner said that someone already had paid for mine! I was like

just the table next to me, there was a lady with two little girls. She had apparently paid for our food as she wanted to do something nice that day.. wow.. needless to say.. I was very shocked as something like this has never happened to me. After I walked out of the restaurant, i put a $10 bill into salv army bell jar..
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: