REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Maple Batalia murder suspects arrested (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677371-maple-batalia-murder-suspects-arrested.html)

z-33 12-01-2012 03:18 PM

Maple Batalia murder suspects arrested

Two men arrested in Maple Batalia homicide case

Two men have been arrested in connection with the homicide of Maple Batalia, a Surrey teenager gunned down last year as she was leaving Simon Fraser University.

Sgt. Jennifer Pound, a spokeswoman for the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, said the two males are in custody and are facing murder charges.

Pound released few details on Saturday, but said a news conference will be held at 6 p.m. in Surrey to update the public on the case. Members of Batalia's family and Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts are also expected to attend.

The 19-year-old SFU student was shot to death about 1 a.m. on Sept. 28, 2011 as she left SFU's Surrey campus after an evening of studying with friends.

In December 2011, police seized a vehicle linked to the crime. The car, a 2011 white Dodge Charger, had been seen driving away from the scene, and was believed to be the suspect's vehicle.

At the time, police said they wanted to speak with two men who might have information about what happened the night Batalia was shot.

Batalia was a health sciences student and a part-time actress and model. She had hoped to become a doctor.

To honour Maple's memory, the Batalia family has instituted a bursary for women intending to study Health Sciences at SFU.

Read more: Two men arrested in Maple Batalia homicide case

mmmk 12-01-2012 04:38 PM

I remember hearing this incident on the news. I'm glad they caught the guys!

Jason00S2000 12-01-2012 04:40 PM

Was this a case of spurned love?

GabAlmighty 12-01-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 (Post 8095932)
Was this a case of spurned love?

Believe so

Graeme S 12-01-2012 04:56 PM

News conference in 5 minutes; we'll find out shortly.

nabs 12-01-2012 04:58 PM

anywhere to stream the confreernce?

shawnly1000 12-01-2012 05:06 PM

Ex-boyfriend, Gary Dhaliwal and an accomplice after the fact were arrested/charged

StylinRed 12-01-2012 05:21 PM

the title is in err

2 people were arrested and they are suspects

innocent before/unless proven guilty remember

Quote:

Gurjinder Singh (Gary) Dhaliwal and a 22-year-old associate have been charged in the Sept. 2011 slaying of Maple Batalia.

Dhaliwal had dated Batalia, but she broke it off with him because she didn’t like the path he was taking. He is now facing a first-degree murder charge, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team announced Saturday.

The associate is charged with manslaughter and abetting after the fact. Both will appear in Surrey Provincial Court Monday.

Batalia’s sister Rosie said she is glad charges have been laid, but still desperately misses her sister.

Supt. Kevin Hackett, IHIT’s officer in charge, spoke of how hard investigators work, getting help from Surrey RCMP and colleagues at E Division’s major crime section.

Surrey’s Chief Supt. Bill Fordy, said he knew this day would come. He said it was particularly tragic that Batalais was gunned down at SFU where young people go to study and work towards their dreams.

http://postmediavancouversun.files.w...y-dhaliwal.jpg
Gary Dhaliwal
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/1...s-murder-ihit/

tmc22 12-01-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnly1000 (Post 8095956)
Ex-boyfriend, Gary Dhaliwal and an accomplice after the fact were arrested/charged

Dhaliwal charged with first degree murder, Bedi the accomplice is charged with manslaughter, accessory after the fact, and I think reckless discharge of a firearm.

spyker 12-01-2012 06:06 PM

First degree murder of a young woman,have fun spending 25+years in a federal prison in the PC unit you fucking POS.

Stiig 12-01-2012 07:11 PM

guy looks like a tool lmfao

bing 12-01-2012 09:17 PM

This is great news but the title is slightly misleading.

The accused were not caught and were suspects all along. The police just did not have enough evidence for Crown to charge them. In BC, QB, and NB, prosecutors have to approve the charges before they can be laid by police.

twitchyzero 12-01-2012 10:01 PM

accomplice was not named? Is he/she a minor?

Who goes and kills a girl after a break-up...I wonder if the story is much deeper than this or he's just fucked in the head.

shawnly1000 12-01-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8096150)
accomplice was not named? Is he/she a minor?

Who goes and kills a girl after a break-up...I wonder if the story is much deeper than this or he's just fucked in the head.

Accomplice named;

Gursimar Bedi, 22, is charged with manslaughter, accessory after the fact and use of a fiream.

spyker 12-01-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8096150)

Who kills a girl after break up? a fucking loser POS waste of life,that's who.

FerrariEnzo 12-01-2012 10:43 PM

WTF... the guy looks like her father!

BaoTurbo 12-01-2012 10:45 PM

Sad story. Thats all I know

broken_arrow 12-01-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing (Post 8096136)
In BC, QB, and NB, prosecutors have to approve the charges before they can be laid by police.

Never heard of this before! I was under the impression that since the Criminal Code is a federal act, it applies unilaterally across Canada. I also thought that police lays charges on the spot and collects evidence (if there is evidence to collect). Prosecutors have to make sure that all the evidence obtained by the police is legitimate (aka obtained by non-oppressive or Charter infringing conduct). Failure to obtain evidence in a legitimate way will give rise to its exclusion under S. 24(2) of the Charter if admission of such evidence would put the administration of justice in disrepute.

Sorry, do not mean to take this thread off-topic or start anything. I am glad that justice was served on those guys. I am just trying to patch up some gaps in my knowledge of the criminal law and procedure, and would love to see the authority for the above stated information.

kateean2 12-01-2012 11:43 PM

This is great news but the title is slightly misleading.

bing 12-02-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Sorry, do not mean to take this thread off-topic or start anything. I am glad that justice was served on those guys. I am just trying to patch up some gaps in my knowledge of the criminal law and procedure, and would love to see the authority for the above stated information.
"The current test should continue to apply—namely, that a charge should be laid where there are reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has been committed and, in jurisdictions with Crown pre-charge approval (British Columbia, New Brunswick and Quebec), when it is in the public interest to lay a charge" (Department of Justice Canada, 2004).

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/fv-v.../ch_e-hc_a.pdf

Eatman 12-02-2012 03:02 AM

that's some good police work right there.

canali 12-02-2012 07:29 AM

the rumour is bedi rolled on dhaliwal to get a lesser sentence....

both will no doubt be getting some fine beatings in prison and learning to become someone's 'bitch'.

GLOW 12-02-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8095968)
the title is in err

2 people were arrested and they are suspects

innocent before/unless proven guilty remember

if they are indeed guilty...i hope they like sandwiches

spyker 12-02-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canali (Post 8096342)
the rumour is bedi rolled on dhaliwal to get a lesser sentence....

both will no doubt be getting some fine beatings in prison and learning to become someone's 'bitch'.

Getting off with just beatings and becoming a jailhouse hooker is getting off real good and considered extremely lucky for the crime they committed.

killing a young woman is most likely punishable by death in the prison system.

broken_arrow 12-02-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing (Post 8096291)
"The current test should continue to apply—namely, that a charge should be laid where there are reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has been committed and, in jurisdictions with Crown pre-charge approval (British Columbia, New Brunswick and Quebec), when it is in the public interest to lay a charge" (Department of Justice Canada, 2004).

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/fv-v.../ch_e-hc_a.pdf

Thank you! Never heard of "the Crown's pre-charge approval" before!